ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lunch near EWR

RU Mike73

All American
Gold Member
Jun 9, 2010
St. Louis
My wife and I are connecting at EWR for flight to Europe on an upcoming Saturday. We have about 5 hours to kill and will probably leave airport for a bite of lunch. It’s been awhile since we went out to eat in the area. Would love some suggestions from fellow Scarlet Knights. Spanish Tavern or other such restaurant in Newark? Other thoughts? Something close by? Thanks in advance.

How does it work getting back in, with TSA and all that?

My wife and I are connecting at EWR for flight to Europe on an upcoming Saturday. We have about 5 hours to kill and will probably leave airport for a bite of lunch. It’s been awhile since we went out to eat in the area. Would love some suggestions from fellow Scarlet Knights. Spanish Tavern or other such restaurant in Newark? Other thoughts? Something close by? Thanks in advance.

I take it you are not driving to the airport but flying in. If that's the case, particularly if it's a Friday or Sunday, stay at the airport.

Reactions: Joey Bags and JDNB

Might want to check out the new terminal. I haven’t been, but they likely put in some solid restaurants there as well.

Might want to check out the new terminal. I haven’t been, but they likely put in some solid restaurants there as well.

I flew in and out of Terminal A in May to and from Fort Myers. I have to say it was shockingly nice. I figured I would be in Terminal C as usual, but this was a treat. There were a lot of dining options and not everything was opened yet. Also just nice to walk around. They did a great job on Terminal A in my opinion. However at that point they didn't have a United Club, which of course is another place to pass some time without leaving the airport.

Valenca in Elizabeth, about 10 min from the airport. Excellent Portuguese food. If you go and you're a meat eater, the filet on a stone is awesome. Paella is also very good.
A Taste Of Portugal on Delancey Street in Newark is about the same distance. And I would recommend the same dishes as the ones you mention for Valenca.

Reactions: RU Mike73
As I stated, it’s a Saturday. Why do you say that?
Guessing he's thinking about the potential for traffic getting out of and back into the airport, potential delays with the monorail if you use that, potential delays with public transit, and potential delays getting back through security.

Even with a full 5 hours, which you might not have if the first flight is delayed, that doesn't necessarily leave a ton of time at a restaurant if padding things to account for all the potential delays. All depends on where you are on the risk versus reward scale for grabbing a meal offsite.

I would probably just hang out somewhere in the airport myself. Or see if I could change the flight to leave more time between flights to relax.

Don’t you have to leave secure area just to use monorail between terminals?
But you're going to need to get back in too, right?

5 hours seems like a long time but ya never know.🤷‍♂️

On the corner of Elizabeth Ave and Hawthorne there's a BK, White Castle, Popeye's and Jersey Fried Chicken. I rotate lunches M-Th but you've got time so maybe eat at all four ? Is closer to the airport, and maybe the best memory of your trip.
Maybe if you quit the conspiracy theories you can focus more on weight loss chief.

I figured he was just trying to do his part to address overpopulation.
could be he felt the OP might be nostalgic for a White Castle if he lives where there aren't any and the stuff in grocery freezer section isn't satisfactory enough to kill the longing.

Heck I might recommend a trip to Dickie Dee's for a great dog, it's about 15-20 minuets away from the Airport

25 minutes by Uber.
I’ll drive you back myself
That's only if traffic is light. The helicopter ride would be way more fun. I mean, unless it crashes, which they have a tendency to do w/an alarming regularity.

Don’t you have to leave secure area just to use monorail between terminals?
If you stay in Terminals A and C there is a shuttle bus between both terminals where you don’t have to exit through security. At Terminal C the shuttle leaves across from gate 70. Transit time is about 10 minutes each way. Convient if you don’t want to go through security again. Taking the SkyTrain requires going through security, and is a long walk from the train to the terminal at terminal A.

Guessing he's thinking about the potential for traffic getting out of and back into the airport, potential delays with the monorail if you use that, potential delays with public transit, and potential delays getting back through security.

Even with a full 5 hours, which you might not have if the first flight is delayed, that doesn't necessarily leave a ton of time at a restaurant if padding things to account for all the potential delays. All depends on where you are on the risk versus reward scale for grabbing a meal offsite.

I would probably just hang out somewhere in the airport myself. Or see if I could change the flight to leave more time between flights to relax.

This was my thought - 5 hours isn't exactly long.
Work backwards from takeoff.

Assuming 5hr between scheduled land and scheduled takeoff:
30min to get off plane and to car pick up(taxi/uber)
30min to leave airport and get to restaurant.

Assume leave restaurant 2hrs before takeoff (30min return trip, 30min through security, get to gate 1hr before takeoff)

That leaves approx 2hrs to sit and eat.
Less if 1st flight is delayed or increased traffic/security time.

(Note - We're the people who show up first at the gate so we wouldn't leave airport and risk it).

Reactions: MrsScrew
I flew in and out of Terminal A in May to and from Fort Myers. I have to say it was shockingly nice. I figured I would be in Terminal C as usual, but this was a treat. There were a lot of dining options and not everything was opened yet. Also just nice to walk around. They did a great job on Terminal A in my opinion. However at that point they didn't have a United Club, which of course is another place to pass some time without leaving the airport.
United Club is open. Was just there last week

Reactions: MulletCork

Assume leave restaurant 2hrs before takeoff (30min return trip, 30min through security, get to gate 1hr before takeoff)

(Note - We're the people who show up first at the gate so we wouldn't leave airport and risk it).
Makes no sense on a 5 hr layover- maybe if 8 or greater. You are spending 3+ hours on shuttles, terminal, cars etc
It is why I love my United Club card. Like yourselves, my wife and I like to be early for flights. The card also gives you early boarding which is great to get our carryons in with no problems. Plus, if they’re early or a layover- go to the Club, get a couple of drinks, food and just kick back and relax. A few of them even have showers.,,

Reactions: MulletCork

Yeah, best case and it's still not at all relaxing. And there are too many ways that delays could turn it into a high stress potential for a missed connecting flight.

Risk and reward. For me, the reward can be deferred till I get to my final destination and then I incur no risk and zero stress.

Stay at the airport and maybe check out the new terminal A. The immediate area around EWR is a dump.

Maybe if you quit the conspiracy theories you can focus more onweight loss chief.
Colby and Bac are the conspiracy guys, chief. No conspiracies from me. Expecting Schiano to be a failure from Day 1 due to his 1960 philosophy and stubbornness ain't a conspiracy but a damn accurate prediction don't you think, chief ?

Appreciate your concerns about my health though, chief.

Valenca in Elizabeth, about 10 min from the airport. Excellent Portuguese food. If you go and you're a meat eater, the filet on a stone is awesome. Paella is also very good.
Will heartily second this. Have had both the filet on a stone and the paella and they're both fantastic, as are many of the apps, especially the chorizo/clams in garlic sauce and the shrimp.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT