ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mac or PC?

Piscataway

Senior
Aug 23, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
So my wife and I are due for a new computer. We currently have pc laptops that are about 8 yrs old (we keep things a while) and they are about to die. We have Android phones and a few android tablets, but due to a bad taste left in mouth trying to transfer everything from one samsung s4 to a replacement s4 made me think of slowly shifting to apple. I am not a gamer, don't do graphic design but the integration of apple products just seems seamless.

your thoughts?

I bought a PC 18 months ago. Absolutely hated Windows 8, despite being a Windows guy my whole life. Computer crapped out a month ago (of course outside the warranty period and way before it should have) and we used that as an excuse to buy a MacBook Pro.

To be honest, the Apple is a nice, solid product, but I don't know that I fully get the adoration people have for them. There are some nice features to them, but they are expensive for the measurables. We are mostly email, internet, and excel/word people, so probably not pushing anything to the limit and have minimal integration benefits as we have Android phones. If I could buy a PC without Windows 8 and save hundreds of dollars, I probably would, but I've been happy enough with the Apple product and if it lasts a long time and avoids malware and viruses, I'll be satisfied enough.

Personally, I'd say get a Mac. If for any reason you need to run any windows programs, you can always install boot camp/parallels. I have a Mac book pro and have a small windows partition for a few programs that won't run on OS X.

This post was edited on 4/10 3:05 PM by okieKnight

I use a PC at work and a Mac at home. (In fact, even though my company has adopted laptops that we can take with us, I have a Mac laptop of my own.) As a practical matter, the Mac works better for me - fewer strange things happening, smoother operation in general, less frustration.

My specific favorite example of how simply the Mac operates is backups. I have two backup drives for my MacBook Pro, one at home and one at the office. I just plug them in when I want to do a backup and the Apple software makes it happen. I don't have to tell it which backup drive I've attached or tell it to do the backup. (I'm not saying a comparable feature doesn't exist for the PC, mind you, just that it's very easy on the Mac.) (My favorite, so to speak, example of frustration with PCs is that there's no consistent approach to where the computer thinks you ought to save documents, so if you want to save documents from three different pieces of software, you may start in three different places and have to figure out how to navigate to where you want to go each time.)

All of that said, if you're thinking seriously of switching, spend some quality time with a Mac before you buy. There are definite differences in the operating systems, and you may find that you like the PC better.

Macs are good for garden variety users (photos, emails, surfing etc). After that I've always found them limited (missing games, apps, usb ports, Flash etc). Something always seems to be missing/lacking with a Mac. I can assemble a PC that's better than anything I can buy (and for less money). Then I can upgrade parts along the way. MY PCs are like B-52s that keep flying a long time. These days its easy to have both. I don't like laptops much, but if I did I would have an Apple lappy and PC desky. PC tablets are getting cheap enough to keep around as easy mobile humps. I've come to like Apple phones better than the Android stuff though. But you can have both of those now too (you can get a Samsung or LG etc with 1200 minutes and a year activation for $90). I carry spares hiking, biking etc. Oh and Macs and PCs will be gettting Skylake processors soon and thats worth a little wait imo

2015 Apple MacBook Pro Insane Skylake Dream

I have a mac at home, but honestly I don't generally consider myself an "Apple person." IN fact when I was in high school and college I was very much a PC person (and generally built my own computers by buying the various components).

I think what I like about the Mac (its a Mac mini) is that it is small and seems to be very stable. It doesn't require much knowledge and I don't have to fiddle with it. As I got older I just didn't want to be bothered with graphics cards, RAM upgrades, new hard drives, blah blah blah.

The flip side is that they aren't really as flexible and customizable as Windows based computers. But I am perfectly OK with that nowadays.

I used to work for a major PC manufacturer. I've owned both. I currently own a PC running Windows 8.

Having said that, I personally would buy a Mac 100%. The only reason I didn't was because of price. I always loved my Mac, and I almost always hate my PC. Windows 8 makes me want to scream.

Unless you're doing something specialized and not the usual computer stuff that most of us do, I'd say Mac easily.

If you like Macs, get a Mac.

If you like Windows, get a Windows PC.

If you have FU money to spend get a Mac. If you're on a budget go to Best Buy and get a PC..

I've gone back and forth over the years. Macs always much easier to use, PCs always with more software available. But now the software edge is pretty close, so the only deal really is price.

Here's my take on it: If you can afford the extra couple of bucks for a Mac, do it. You use it all the time, so amortising the additional cost is a snap -- again if your finances allow the initial outlay.

Pleaes Buy One of Each

I have Apple / Microsoft stock!

MO
smokin.r191677.gif

I forgot to mention in my post up top that if you decide to go with a mac, look into refurbished models on apple's website in order to save a few bucks. I've had two refurbished mac book pros over the last handful of years and have had zero issues with either of them.

Originally posted by okieKnight:
I forgot to mention in my post up top that if you decide to go with a mac, look into refurbished models on apple's website in order to save a few bucks. I've had two refurbished mac book pros over the last handful of years and have had zero issues with either of them.
This is great advice. We got my wife's first MacBook Air this way and it worked great.

don't waste your money on some crappy macintosh product.. get a pc and run one of the many versions of linux(free to use btw) or windows

I elite you can still buy a new machine with Windows 7. I hate Windows 8. I built a computer with my son this year, and we installed Windows 7 instead.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Mac'a are beautiful but i didn't want to spend for it, i just ordered a ASUS chromebox for around $150 with 2gb memory for just surfing the net/emails, hope it meets these low standards lol

Originally posted by TonyLieske:

I have a mac at home, but honestly I don't generally consider myself an "Apple person." IN fact when I was in high school and college I was very much a PC person (and generally built my own computers by buying the various components).

I think what I like about the Mac (its a Mac mini) is that it is small and seems to be very stable. It doesn't require much knowledge and I don't have to fiddle with it. As I got older I just didn't want to be bothered with graphics cards, RAM upgrades, new hard drives, blah blah blah.

The flip side is that they aren't really as flexible and customizable as Windows based computers. But I am perfectly OK with that nowadays.
This is me also, though I'd concede to being more of an Apple person than you. I used to build my own computers and was very anti-Mac until Windows Vista. I switched then and have enjoyed Macs ever since. I just don't care enough any more to be interested in working with computer internals.

It took me longer to switch from Android to an iPhone and Android has gotten much better since. I probably wouldn't switch if I was using a Samsung Galaxy now but since I did, the integration between the 2 Apple platforms is excellent and getting better. I just took a video of my daughter and when I called it up to email to myself, my Macbook showed up on 'Airdrop', which I honestly forgot existed. One click and it's on the laptop - that's pretty cool.

Since OS X is Unix-based I've found it gives me more flexibility (via Terminal) than I'm able to get from Windows

Originally posted by J.L. Gotrocks:

Since OS X is Unix-based I've found it gives me more flexibility (via Terminal) than I'm able to get from Windows
Can someone translate this into English?

I hate all Apple products because I love customizing and tinkering and they are not built for that whatsoever. Apple is great if that's not you - you want it to work without any hassle, and without putting too much thought into it. Windows 8 is definitely horrible though. Macs are also not a choice at all if you are interested in gaming.

If you don't plan on tinkering and gaming is not an issue, Mac is the way to go for seamless integration. I was neither a tinkerer or a gamer but liked the numerous PC choices and always ended up selecting the high quality PC vendors and versions. The turnover to a Apple based tech when I finally realized that the iPhone was the best quality and most integrated smarthphone option.

When the iPad came out it was the perfect fit for a portable instant on browser and entertainment centric device. I was completely frustrated with the annoying wifi options out there and ended up trying Apple's products and never looked back when I realized I could also buy a wifi base station with a built in hard drive for backups. Best of all it could not be any easier than plug in play.

The laptop was the last holdout as I had so many Window's based programs it just did not make sense to convert. However, when I joined a Mac centric company and they gave me a new MacBook the final conversion was complete. The quality of Apple's hardware is unmatched, but you do pay a bit more for it.

I just bought a Apple TV so we have finally 100% converted and it makes things so simple.

Originally posted by Piscataway:

Originally posted by J.L. Gotrocks:

Can someone translate this into English?
Essentially this: If you really want to tinker, Mac OS lets you get pretty deep into the underlying code via a program called Terminal that comes with every computer. It's high-level stuff, though, and messing with Terminal can be trouble if you don't know what you're doing.

I do a lot of hardcore development/big data kind of work and also spend a lot of time with clients.. Means I have a lot of computers for when I'm out of the office - big ones, little ones, macs, pcs.. Have about 6 in all

The one I reach for over and over is the MacBook Air - light, great battery life, charges quickly, runs Windows when I need it (and has a windows terminal app when I need to remote in).. Not a powerhouse like my other computers, but good enough for most things

Have a surface pro also and almost never reach for it- I'm amazed how Microsoft just swung and missed..

And yes, windows 8 is a disgrace of an operating system

It's an amazing machine

I bought my first Mac (a top of the line MacBook Pro) in December after working on PCs forever. Everyone told me how much I'd love it. I HATED it. I found it completely unintuitive. I sold it after two months. Bought an ASUS laptop with Win 7 and it's awesome. By the way, I also hate the iPhone (love my Note 4) and the iPad (love my nexus 7). To each his own.

Originally posted by Sooner4RU:
Bought a MAC in 2008. Still going strong....would NEVER buy a PC again!
Bought a Macbook in late 2007. Lasted just over 3 years before the display went blank. Hands down, the biggest piece of junk laptop I owned, with a Dell laptop I had being a close second. Can't stand the Mac interface and their stupid browser.

Bought a Samsung Series 9, and have had it more than 3 years, no problems at all.

I always enjoy these threads. Both are fine, if you're like 95% of the population it just doesn't matter at all. I happen to dislike iTunes so I don't use Apple stuff much but they are both fine, they both 'just work' for almost everything and they both have a few things that will drive you insane if they happen not to 'just work'.

I have had 8 PC's and 4 Macs over the past 15 years. That should tell you all you need to know. MAC hands down Is the best quality. It is also a lot more expensive, but if you price out the capabilities of both, and the number of PC's I have had to replace I've the same time period, I will always go Apple MacBook Pro or eve Ait.

Originally posted by MoobyCow:
I always enjoy these threads. Both are fine, if you're like 95% of the population it just doesn't matter at all. I happen to dislike iTunes so I don't use Apple stuff much but they are both fine, they both 'just work' for almost everything and they both have a few things that will drive you insane if they happen not to 'just work'.
WRONG - THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE CORRECT CHOICE!

A year ago I got a new TOSHIBA laptop for less than HALF the price of MAC and I love it.
$999-$1,000+ for a MAC just wasnt worth it

BTW if you "hate" Windows 8 you can download 8.1 for free. Its much better.

I like both. Just built a small gaming PC for my kids, but prefer to "live" in Mac world. Bought a Macbook Pro in 2008 (unibody) and it is still going strong. That was the best of both worlds. Could upgrade memory and HD easily on that machine. Only other maintenance was replacing the fans and cleaning out the dust. I love that machine. Unless you really like to tinker with your computers Macs just work. And price for a Mac laptop and a really good PC laptop are not that different anymore. If you must have a Windows laptop I recommend the Dell XPS series. I echo the comments about picking up a refurbished machine from Apple if you decide to go that way. Its a solid choice.

Macs are the way to go if you are looking for a stable machine that rarley crashes. Macs tend to be more expensive, but the extra expense tends to be worth it. If you are doing gaming Macs might not be the way to go. They are very consistent machines and very predictable. I also have a PC now and they always get slower and slower after a year of use. The Mac I bought 2 years and it still runs the same speed it did when II bought it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT