ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Man vs Squirrel

dollarbill

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
Does anyone have a bird feeder that is not a squirrel feeder? My "Absolutely, Positively, Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder" from LL Bean is useless. Thanks for any thoughts. $$$$

AR15_A3_Tactical_Carbine_pic1.jpg

My Dad got fed up with the squirrels attacking his bird feeder, so he put it on a metal pole and electrified it. He would get a couple a beers and watch the squirrels get jolted for entertainment. Not enough to kill them of course, just enough to watch them do some interesting dances.

Couple of ways to go about this. You have to make sure your feeder is 6-10 feet from any trees as they can jump that far. It also need to be more then 5 feet off the ground. That being said you could put a pole with a crook for a feeder and had a baffle to keep the squirrels from climbing up. This is what we have done and it works great.

This feeder is suppose to work pretty good as you can set the tension on it to keep large birds off as well.

http://shop.wbu.com/p/wbu-eliminator-squirrel-proof-bird-feeder/squirrel-proof-bird-feeders?pp=12

If your feeder is on a pole, spray the pole with WD40. Squirrels will not be able to climb the pole.

This post was edited on 4/11 5:47 PM by redlinehw

If your feeder is on a pole, high enough off the ground that they can't jump to it, and far enough from any trees, buyione of those plastic shower rod covers from Home Depot/Lowes and place it over the pole. Makes it hard for them to climb.

Set up a simple snare. Capture the alpha squirrel. Then lay out assorted nuts and seeds. When all the other squirrels start munching bring the alpha out and disembowel him. Then cut off his nuts and shove them down his throat. Then tell the other squirrels that is what happens when you steal food.

Originally posted by RU4Real:

If that's a flash suppressor it's not legal in NJ. and that magazine looks like a 30 round clip, not legal in NJ, if the adjustable stock is not pinned it's not legal in NJ, also looks like it has a bayonet lug on it also not legal in NJ

Originally posted by Bagarocks:

If that's a flash suppressor it's not legal in NJ. and that magazine looks like a 30 round clip, not legal in NJ, if the adjustable stock is not pinned it's not legal in NJ, also looks like it has a bayonet lug on it also not legal in NJ
Not a FS - it's a comp.
Blocked?
Pinned.
Troubling...

Originally posted by RUScrew85:

Not a FS - it's a comp.
Blocked?
Pinned.
Troubling...
This.

Except, technically, the magazine isn't relevant because it doesn't make the gun itself legal or illegal. It's an illegal mag, maybe - but not actually part of the firearm.

A agree on the compensator. And didn't notice the bayonet lug.

The stock can be assumed pinned. Although I personally take issue with the whole nonsense, because the law specifically disallows "collapsible" stocks and an "adjustable" stock isn't necessarily collapsible.

Droll Yankees

http://drollyankees.com/product-category/squirrel-proof-bird-feeders/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8YZIhlWpS0

This post was edited on 4/11 8:58 PM by RU-AGK

Most "squirrel proof" feeders I've seen are really difficult to set up in most people's yards. The "really tall pole 10+ feet from any trees or the house that has a collar/baffle in the middle" concept is something that really requires a specific size/type of yard, but it is very successful.

Anything that tries to "out-think" the squirrel or make it "too complicated" is destined to fail given enough time. Squirrels are crafty buggers. The only real way to succeed is to make the feeder beyond the physical limits of a squirrel - which is hard, given how agile, persistent, and fearless they are. Also, things that make it too hard for a squirrel often also make it too hard for the birds... or limit the type of bird that would be able to get access.

Google Wild Bill bird feeders. They use a nine volt battery that shocks squirrels but not birds. I've had one for a number of years and it works very well.

I'm not a fan of guns and most pro-NRA folks would probably hate me. But I think any type of gun should be legal to use on squirrels, period. Stupid tree rats.

Not a FS - it's a comp.
Blocked?
Pinned.
Troubling...
This.

Except, technically, the magazine isn't relevant because it doesn't make the gun itself legal or illegal. It's an illegal mag, maybe - but not actually part of the firearm.

The stock can be assumed pinned. Although I personally take issue with the whole nonsense, because the law specifically disallows "collapsible" stocks and an "adjustable" stock isn't necessarily collapsible.
I see 5 evil features. birdcage type flash hider (that's what the looks like to me, detachable mag, pistol grip, bayonet lug, and I assume an adjustable stock.

And it's a 30 round MAGAZINE, not a clip.

I continue to hate this state's laws.

Has anyone eaten a tree rat? I want to give it a try.

This squirrel buster went up in price quite a bit since I bought it in 2011 - but in 4 years, it remains undefeated. Food in every other feeder I have had eventually gets devoured by squirrels. This one can even be set to keep away larger birds like black birds.

How did this thread get hijacked by a gun???

squirrel buster

Originally posted by Piscataway:

Not a FS - it's a comp.
Blocked?
Pinned.
Troubling...
This.

I see 5 evil features. birdcage type flash hider (that's what the looks like to me, detachable mag, pistol grip, bayonet lug, and I assume an adjustable stock.

And it's a 30 round MAGAZINE, not a clip.

I continue to hate this state's laws.

Has anyone eaten a tree rat? I want to give it a try.
NJ State Law: N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.2

If a gun is not listed in the Banned Assault firearms list

i. A semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(1) A folding or telescoping stock;

(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(3) A bayonet mount;

(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(5) A grenade launcher;

+4. A semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding 15 rounds;

They sell a 1' long cylinder shaped piece that is opened on one end. You install it on the vertical pole with the open end facing down. Squirrels can't get around it. Make sure you put your B/F far enough away from any trees or fences where the squirrel can jump from. It's worked great for me. John at Wild Birds Unlimited in Mountainside (across from BowCraft) sells them.
This post was edited on 4/13 9:36 AM by RUaMoose

Originally posted by RUaMoose:
They sell a 1' long cylinder shaped piece that is opened on one end. You install it on the vertical pole with the open end facing down. Squirrels can't get around it. Make sure you put your B/F far enough away from any trees or fences where the squirrel can jump from. It's worked great for me. John at Wild Birds Unlimited in Mountainside (across from BowCraft) sells them.
Those really are the best option - the squirrel climbs up, and can't get around the cone/cylinder in the middle of the pole.

The only trick to it is, as you said, getting far enough away from places the squirrel can jump from. I don't think I've ever lived in a place with a yard that fit those criteria - there's always a tree, or rooftop, or fence, or some other structure near enough that buying one would have been a waste. You really need a place in your hard that has a ~20' radius that's just open grass with no trees around it.... and you have to be willing to put a pole mounted bird feeder in that spot.

Originally posted by RUChoppin:

Originally posted by RUaMoose:

Those really are the best option - the squirrel climbs up, and can't get around the cone/cylinder in the middle of the pole.

The only trick to it is, as you said, getting far enough away from places the squirrel can jump from. I don't think I've ever lived in a place with a yard that fit those criteria - there's always a tree, or rooftop, or fence, or some other structure near enough that buying one would have been a waste. You really need a place in your hard that has a ~20' radius that's just open grass with no trees around it.... and you have to be willing to put a pole mounted bird feeder in that spot.
Exactly. Mine is out in the middle of the yard with nothing around.

Originally posted by dollarbill:
Originally posted by rukelvin:
Picked this up in the fall - works very, very well. The squirrels get tired of not being able to get the seed and give up.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HHHEF0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good luck!!!

Don't they shake this feeder then eat the seed that falls on the ground? Thanks. $$$$
We haven't had that happen - another type that we had used to do that - but this one the seed doesn't really fall out.

never understood the desire to invite something that craps wherever it wants onto your property.

Originally posted by vkj91:
never understood the desire to invite something that craps wherever it wants onto your property.
Jesus Christ, I f*ckin' said I was sorry.

That may not be legal but I am pretty sure this is 100% legal in NJ

timthumb.php

This post was edited on 4/13 11:27 AM by seels2662

That should definitely be legal.

Put it this way... I certainly hope it's legal.
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by vkj91:
Jesus Christ, I f*ckin' said I was sorry.
at least you didn't tell my dad he worthless white trash like DTN
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by seels2662:

ec

N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.2

"Assault firearms" means:
iii. A semi-automatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:
(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(3) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of six rounds; and/or
(4) An ability to accept a detachable magazine;
3. A semi-automatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a folding stock
or a pistol grip;
[/QUOTE]

ec

3. A semi-automatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a folding stock
or a pistol grip;
[/QUOTE] It's a pump.

or a pistol grip;
It's a pump.

[/QUOTE]sans my post

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT