ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MLB Article on Most Underrated HOFers

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
With the death of Al Kaline MLB backed up my assertion that "Mr. Tiger" was on of the most under rated HOFers.
Don't know if I agree with all of these but here's their lineup.

1B - Johnny Mize
2B - Jackie Robinson
SS - Arky Vaughn
3B - Eddie Mathews
LF - Tim Raines
CF - Larry Doby
RF - Al Kaline
C - Gary Carter
P - Bert Blyleven

I'm too young to have seen Mize, Robinson and Vaughn but I think of they are spot on with Eddie Mathews. Nine time All Star before it was just a popularity contest. 512 career HRs but you're not the top HR hitter on your team!

https://www.mlb.com/news/most-underrated-hall-of-famers

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Only one there who gives me pause would be Bert Blyleven.

I always say, if you have to think about it...is this guy a HoFer. And I don’t need Elias or a WAR to tell me. It’s not just numbers IMO.

What do you think, @zappaa? Would love to hear your opinion on this.

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
Jackie Robinson was and remains my all-time sports hero. And, I got to meet him in May 1952 just before the first pitch of the game in which he stole home vs. the Cubs.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUScrew85
With the death of Al Kaline MLB backed up my assertion that "Mr. Tiger" was on of the most under rated HOFers.

1B - Johnny Mize
2B - Jackie Robinson
SS - Arky Vaughn
3B - Eddie Mathews
LF - Tim Raines
CF - Larry Doby
RF - Al Kaline
C - Gary Carter
P - Bert Blyleven

I'm too young to have seen Mize, Robinson and Vaughn but I think of they are spot on with Eddie Mathews. Nine time All Star before it was just a popularity contest. 512 career HRs but you're not the top HR hitter on your team!

With Aaron and Mathews hitting in the band box that was Milwaukee, you have to wonder how many dingers Willie Mays would have hit if not for the Polo Grounds and Candlestick.

Reactions: colbert17
Only one there who gives me pause would be Bert Blyleven.

I always say, if you have to think about it...is this guy a HoFer. And I don’t need Elias or a WAR to tell me. It’s not just numbers IMO.

What do you think, @zappaa? Would love to hear your opinion on this.

You know that Koosman had almost the exact same career as BB...I remember Jerry's last couple of years with the Mets where he was something like a combined 11-35 with about a mid 3 era...

Reactions: RURod
You know that Koosman had almost the exact same career as BB...I remember Jerry's last couple of years with the Mets where he was something like a combined 11-35 with about a mid 3 era...
That’s what I’m saying.

Don Sutton at least had the 300 wins.

That’s what I’m saying.

Don Sutton at least had the 300 wins.
Sutton is very similar, just pitched for a better team and more games. But all 3 guys went 20 years with era's in the 3.2-3.3 range. If Koosman pitched all those years for the Dodgers rather than the Met's, he most likely wins 300 as well

Reactions: shields
I can understand comparing Koosman to Sutton but he is not even close to Blyleven. Blyleven had 6 years of WAR of 6+, 11 of WAR 5+ and 14 of WAR 4+ in his career. Koosman had 2 ,4 and 6 of those same criteria.

As a comparison Maddux had 6 yrs, 11 yrs and 13 yrs of those same criteria.

Blyleven pitched his peak years in AL with designated hitter and still had ERA of under 3.00 TEN times. Maddux did it only 9 times in the NL.

I can understand comparing Koosman to Sutton but he is not even close to Blyleven. Blyleven had 6 years of WAR of 6+, 11 of WAR 5+ and 14 of WAR 4+ in his career. Koosman had 2 ,4 and 6 of those same criteria.

As a comparison Maddux had 6 yrs, 11 yrs and 13 yrs of those same criteria.

Blyleven pitched his peak years in AL with designated hitter and still had ERA of under 3.00 TEN times. Maddux did it only 9 times in the NL.

And why f-ing idiots with all these analytics over what you see are at times f-ing idiots.
1) Koosman/Sutton/Blyleven = same pitcher
2) You actually show BB above Maddux? Anything or any stat that does that- throw it the F away...

I would include Ralph Kiner over Tim Raines in LF. In a shortened 10 year career, Kiner led the league in HRs 7 times and had at least 109 RBI 6 times. His 162 game average is 41HR 112 RBI with a .946 OPS. Pretty amazing numbers.

And why f-ing idiots with all these analytics over what you see are at times f-ing idiots.
1) Koosman/Sutton/Blyleven = same pitcher
2) You actually show BB above Maddux? Anything or any stat that does that- throw it the F away...
Again, my :Eyes: :See: are what I used first when judging.

Maddux easily. As his 1st Ballot numbers concur with those thoughts.

But IMO when you need to go to the numbers put out by Elias to justify is when it starts to get tricky.

Obviously they’re both HoFers now but they aren’t the same player.

Last edited:
I would include Ralph Kiner over Tim Raines in LF. In a shortened 10 year career, Kiner led the league in HRs 7 times and had at least 109 RBI 6 times. His 162 game average is 41HR 112 RBI with a .946 OPS. Pretty amazing numbers.

But I think the point was underrated...RK- I don't think anyone ever questions him at this point. Dude was a monster.
Raines- unless you were going against him all year long- many have no idea of how dominate he was. As a Met's fan- he was one of my favorite all time non-Mets

:Basketball: :Hoops:

But IMO when you need to go to the numbers put out by Elias to justify is when it starts to get tricky.

Agree with you...GM- there is no question that he is one of the top pitchers to ever play this game...Halfway through his career, we already knew that.
BB/DS etc...they were good, very good. And maybe I side on them to just tip it to the HOF....Koosman, would never even be a consideration to me. But man- looking back- he may be better than most pitchers we see today.
But any stat that even questions Maddux- is stupid

Agree with you...GM- there is no question that he is one of the top pitchers to ever play this game...Halfway through his career, we already knew that.
BB/DS etc...they were good, very good. And maybe I side on them to just tip it to the HOF....Koosman, would never even be a consideration to me. But man- looking back- he may be better than most pitchers we see today.
Or to compare using that stuff is...eh. Not my choice.

:Basketball: :Hoops:

Maybe you need glasses...LOL. Blyleven's curveball was one of the best ever in the game. He finished his career with 60 shutouts one behind Seaver and Ryan.

1. Walter Johnson+ (21) 110 R
2. Pete Alexander+ (20) 90 R
3. Christy Mathewson+ (17) 79 R
4. Cy Young+ (22) 76 R
5. Eddie Plank+ (17) 69 L
6. Warren Spahn+ (21) 63 L
7. Nolan Ryan+ (27) 61 R
Tom Seaver+ (20) 61 R
9. Bert Blyleven+ (22) 60 R
10. Don Sutton+ (23) 58 R
11. Pud Galvin+ (15) 57 R
Ed Walsh+ (14) 57 R
13. Bob Gibson+ (17) 56 R
14. Mordecai Brown+ (14) 55 R
Steve Carlton+ (24) 55 L
16. Jim Palmer+ (19) 53 R
Gaylord Perry+ (22) 53 R
18. Juan Marichal+ (16) 52 R
19. Rube Waddell+ (13) 50 L
Vic Willis+ (13) 50 R

https://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/greatest-curveball-pitchers-of-all-time

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-top-10-curveballs-in-baseball-history#slide9

Last edited:
Maybe you need glasses...LOL. Blyleven's curveball was one of the best ever in the game. He finished his career with 60 shutouts one behind Seaver and Ryan.

1. Walter Johnson+ (21) 110 R
2. Pete Alexander+ (20) 90 R
3. Christy Mathewson+ (17) 79 R
4. Cy Young+ (22) 76 R
5. Eddie Plank+ (17) 69 L
6. Warren Spahn+ (21) 63 L
7. Nolan Ryan+ (27) 61 R
Tom Seaver+ (20) 61 R
9. Bert Blyleven+ (22) 60 R
10. Don Sutton+ (23) 58 R
11. Pud Galvin+ (15) 57 R
Ed Walsh+ (14) 57 R
13. Bob Gibson+ (17) 56 R
14. Mordecai Brown+ (14) 55 R
Steve Carlton+ (24) 55 L
16. Jim Palmer+ (19) 53 R
Gaylord Perry+ (22) 53 R
18. Juan Marichal+ (16) 52 R
19. Rube Waddell+ (13) 50 L
Vic Willis+ (13) 50 R

https://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/greatest-curveball-pitchers-of-all-time
Well he’s already in so the Writers have spoken. And of the names on that list he wouldn’t be one of my starting five. For example, for this particular stat Sandy isn’t there but I’d pick him over Blyleven without even blinking. And Maddux too.

But again, my main point is...you are or your not. The waiting game I never understood. If you are a Hall of Famer when your done, you’re in. I like the human element of the voting process but sometimes that can cloud things too.

Also still waiting to hear from @zappaa on this topic.

Should this guy be in the HOF?

2 4 .333 5.52
6 14 .300 5.61
18 8 .692 3.18
19 12 .613 2.95
15 15 .500 3.46
15 11 .577 3.35
19 9 .679 3.57
19 9 .679 3.00
17 11 .607 3.05
16 6 .727 2.62
16 11 .593 3.96
16 11 .593 4.02
13 15 .464 4.24
15 14 .517 4.20
9 11 .450 4.69
6 3 .667 3.30
14 11 .560 4.14
8 13 .381 4.22
6 9 .400 3.99
2 4 .333 5.09

Can someone explain how Jackie Robinson is underrated? He is one of the most celebrated/honored baseball players ever, and rightfully so, but would never refer to him as underrated.

Should this guy be in the HOF?

2 4 .333 5.52
6 14 .300 5.61
18 8 .692 3.18
19 12 .613 2.95
15 15 .500 3.46
15 11 .577 3.35
19 9 .679 3.57
19 9 .679 3.00
17 11 .607 3.05
16 6 .727 2.62
16 11 .593 3.96
16 11 .593 4.02
13 15 .464 4.24
15 14 .517 4.20
9 11 .450 4.69
6 3 .667 3.30
14 11 .560 4.14
8 13 .381 4.22
6 9 .400 3.99
2 4 .333 5.09
Assuming this is a pitcher?

Cy Youngs? Strike outs? World Series rings? Gold Gloves? Any individual awards?

It’s not just numbers.

Last edited:

1B - Johnny Mize
2B - Jackie Robinson
SS - Arky Vaughn
3B - Eddie Mathews
LF - Tim Raines
CF - Larry Doby
RF - Al Kaline
C - Gary Carter
P - Bert Blyleven

Agree, mathews was great

Who is?

Ok here's a question: you're starting a team today, and can pick any player that ever lived to perform in their prime...who do you pick?

I'd pick Babe Ruth.... Period. Everyone else who ever played and I mean everyone imo is on a different level (lower).

MO

Last edited:
Hard to argue Babe but imagine if Mays had played in a hitters ball park

No stat questioned Maddux. The stats suggest Blyleven is an absolute HOFer, the reason for his delay is most likely flawed human beings being hung up on his large number of losses. I just perused through a number of greatest starting pitchers of all-time lists and he was on just about all of them except the ones with only 10. On those most of those he was listed as just missing the cut/honorable mention.

Here is an example:

17. Bert Blyleven
BertBlyleven_slide_baseballhof.jpg
Minnesota Twins, 1970-76, ’85-88; Texas Rangers, 1976-77; Pittsburgh Pirates, 1978-80; Cleveland Indians, 1981-85; California Angels, 1989-92
2-time All-Star
1979 (Pirates), ’87 (Twins) World Series Champion
Key stats: 287-250, 3.31 ERA, 242 CG, 60 SHO, 3,701 K, 95.3 WAR
Baseball Hall of Fame, Class of 2011

Bert Blyleven could make a case as one of the most underappreciated pitchers of all-time. A two-time All-Star in 22 seasons, Blyleven never led his league in ERA and only once earned the strikeout crown. However, he ranks 38th all-time with a 95.3 career WAR, and sits 11th on the career leaderboard with a 96.5 career WAR for pitchers. Thanks in large part to a devastating curveball, Blyleven also ranks among the top 10 pitchers all-time with 60 career shutouts and is fifth all-time with 3,701 strikeouts.

Bert Blyleven is closer Maddux then he is Koosman. BTW, Koosman is not mentioned on a single list.

ESPN's list of greatest players of all-time at #73
http://www.espn.com/mlb/feature/video/_/id/8652210/num/54

From the Honorable Mention section of 10 greatest starting pitchers of all-time:

1. Bert Blyleven (1970-92, 287 wins, 3.31 ERA, 2.80 K/BB)

Similar to Ryan, Blyleven was a workhorse who became revered for sticking around for as long as he did. He logged nearly 5,000 innings in a career that spanned more than two decades, but his ERA and strikeout rate weren't anything special compared to those who made the cut. It took 14 years of eligibility before he got inducted into the Hall of Fame, which should serve as proof that he's not one of the 10 greatest starting pitchers in the sport's history. He's not far from that list, though.

Love these quotes:
“[Blyleven] makes the baseball dance and twist on the way to the plate,” wrote the AP after his 4-0 victory over the Angels and their speedballer, Nolan Ryan, on June 29. “He is the best curveball pitcher I’ve ever seen,” said Boston’s DH, Orlando Cepeda, who had battled Koufax as a member of the Giants in the 1960s. Blyleven fashioned the best season ever by a Twins hurler, setting team records in shutouts (a major-league-leading 9), complete games (25), innings (325), and strikeouts (258), while winning 20 games and posting a career-low 2.52 ERA. Despite those gaudy numbers, he finished a distant seventh in Cy Young Award voting, hurt by his 17 losses and playing for a third-place team that finished at 81-81, 13 games behind first-place Oakland. Sportswriters might have overlooked Blyleven, whose teammates scored three runs or fewer in 16 of his losses (28 total runs), but fellow pitchers did not. “The best pitcher in the league is Bert Blyleven,” said Oakland ace Catfish Hunter. “He’s got the best stuff.” By one contemporary metric (WAR), Blyleven was not just the best pitcher in the league, but the most valuable player.

Can someone explain how Jackie Robinson is underrated? He is one of the most celebrated/honored baseball players ever, and rightfully so, but would never refer to him as underrated.

That's what I thought too. How is he underrated? Same with Mathews?

I would say Frank Robinson most underrated ever. Barely a notch below Aaron and Mays, two of the very best ever.

Johnny Mize was awesome and largely forgotten today. Good addition for this list.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT