ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New Cannonball Record

RU4Real

Legend
Jul 25, 2001
This is getting a fair amount of attention, and most of it is bad.

The bullet: Three (possibly four) drivers have leveraged the Covid-19-inspired traffic conditions to strap into a 2019 Audi A8 and set a new record for the NYC to LA run of 26 hours 38 minutes.

This breaks the previous record, set just last year, by almost 45 minutes.

On the one hand, "why not?" It gives a few guys something to do and the absence of traffic on the highways reduces the overall risk of the drive.

But on the other hand, many people - good people - are saying that it was an improper exploitation of the current situation.

Good debate, I think.

And for the record, the new one works out to an average speed of 112.41 mph.

They obviously avoided driving past Bergen CC between 6 and 10AM

I thought you meant the cannonball from Shallow Hal

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: wheezer
"Exploitation of the current situation" - I don't know about. More like, potentially putting yourself and others at risk of acquiring or spreading a deadly contagion.

The bullet: Three (possibly four) drivers have leveraged the Covid-19-inspired traffic conditions to strap into a 2019 Audi A8 and set a new record for the NYC to LA run of 26 hours 38 minutes.

On the one hand, "why not?" It gives a few guys something to do and the absence of traffic on the highways reduces the overall risk of the drive.

But on the other hand, many people - good people - are saying that it was an improper exploitation of the current situation.

Good debate, I think.

How is this validated? That's both impressive, creative, and insane.
But since I am old school. I have no interest unless there are lots of folks doing at once including some hot chicks.

Reactions: RU at the shore
How is this validated? That's both impressive, creative, and insane.
But since I am old school. I have no interest unless there are lots of folks doing at once including some hot chicks.

There's an official lap timer in the car. They have GPS checkpoints, these days. Think of it as sort of a "Map My Run" thing.

There was originally going to be a larger event that started on April 4 from the Red Ball Garage, but it was cancelled. It would have met your criteria.

There's an official lap timer in the car. They have GPS checkpoints, these days. Think of it as sort of a "Map My Run" thing.

There was originally going to be a larger event that started on April 4 from the Red Ball Garage, but it was cancelled. It would have met your criteria.

Yeah I keep thinking Don Lela (whatever his name) and Adrian Barbo's cleavage to avoid the traffic stop.

I have mixed feelings on these things, but this just seems weak all around and gets a big asterisk in my book.

Hope they brought Snapple bottles as no rest stops open:Sly:

Think this has to get an asterisk, much like wind assistance at a track and field event.

Think this has to get an asterisk, much like wind assistance at a track and field event.

I wonder how much, though.

Granted, traffic right on the coasts is much lighter than usual. But interstate traffic across the midsection has a much higher percentage of heavy trucks, most of which are still moving. Without having numbers,I'd still be willing to bet that the bulk of the drive is not dramatically different. JMO.

Granted, traffic right on the coasts is much lighter than usual. But interstate traffic across the midsection has a much higher percentage of heavy trucks, most of which are still moving. Without having numbers,I'd still be willing to bet that the bulk of the drive is not dramatically different. JMO.

Agreed though maybe they saved the 45 minutes they broke the record by in Los Angeles alone haha.

Do they usually end up on I40 or I70 out west? If it's I70 I wonder what the speed was going through the Rockies and Glenwood Canyon. Would not want to be the passenger during that leg...

With emergency orders in place in most states, for example, Texas prohibiting cars traveling from Louisiana into Texas (which does not apply here), wonder if any State AGs will try to enforcement against these guys?

With emergency orders in place in most states, for example, Texas prohibiting cars traveling from Louisiana into Texas (which does not apply here), wonder if any State AGs will try to enforcement against these guys?

If it really came down to that, gonna be very hard to prove who was driving the car in which state. And as far as I know, it's not a crime to be in the backseat while someone is driving like a madman.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Do they usually end up on I40 or I70 out west? If it's I70 I wonder what the speed was going through the Rockies and Glenwood Canyon. Would not want to be the passenger during that leg...

95 -> 76 -> 70 -> 44 -> 40 -> 15. I think the route that eliminates 44 and 40 is a bit longer. And, yeah... there's that whole Rockies thing. You don't really want to have to worry about the weather any more than necessary.

Good debate, I think.

I like people who think outside the box, so I naturally like this. I'm a bit jealous because they averaged over an entire day more than I've ever done in my car for even a minute, to the best of my recollection.

Reactions: RUsSKii
I like people who think outside the box, so I naturally like this. I'm a bit jealous because they averaged over an entire day more than I've ever done in my car for even a minute, to the best of my recollection.

I think the competition is beginning to exceed the safety margins.

When the original Cannonball Baker Sea to Shining Sea race was run in the early 70s the winner averaged just a tick over 80 mph. The speed limit through Kansas, at the time, was 80 mph. The differential between the competitors' speeds and the flow of traffic wasn't all that much.

Consider that the theatrical icon of the race, the Lamborghini Countach, made 353 hp from its V-12 engine and would be outperformed, today, by nearly every new car costing more than $20k.

To average 112 mph means that you're running closer to 150 much of the time. That requires serious concentration and, to do it over a few thousand miles, no small bit of luck. "Dangerous" is definitely a fair word.

were these the same guys or different than last record? ( I'm too lazy to look)....

the last guys relied on "spotters" (people on social media who were actually going opposite direction of travel to spot and report cops) - in addition to all the counter radar/laser,etc. and enlarged gas tanks you standardly use.......

Since many states of travel have "stay at home" orders where non-essential travel is restricted... (besides the whole breaking the law the whole time speeding thing)........ yeah - these guy kinda suck.........

I mean, I can't even go see my folks for Easter...........

were these the same guys or different than last record? ( I'm too lazy to look)....

the last guys relied on "spotters" (people on social media who were actually going opposite direction of travel to spot and report cops) - in addition to all the counter radar/laser,etc. and enlarged gas tanks you standardly use.......

Since many states of travel have "stay at home" order where non-essential travel is restricted... (besides the whole breaking the law the whole time speeding thing)........ yeah - these guy kinda suck.........

I mean, I can't even go see my folks for Easter...........

Different guys. We don't know who, exactly, because they haven't come forward yet. But not the same guys as last year.

I think the competition is beginning to exceed the safety margins.

When the original Cannonball Baker Sea to Shining Sea race was run in the early 70s the winner averaged just a tick over 80 mph. The speed limit through Kansas, at the time, was 80 mph. The differential between the competitors' speeds and the flow of traffic wasn't all that much.

Consider that the theatrical icon of the race, the Lamborghini Countach, made 353 hp from its V-12 engine and would be outperformed, today, by nearly every new car costing more than $20k.

To average 112 mph means that you're running closer to 150 much of the time. That requires serious concentration and, to do it over a few thousand miles, no small bit of luck. "Dangerous" is definitely a fair word.
Fair points, though brakes, tires, and steering have improved over the years. Having four drivers helps a lot, though not sure if they had to stop to swap seats or if they did it on the fly.

95 -> 76 -> 70 -> 44 -> 40 -> 15.

I am very familiar with the switch for the bolded section and know it implies NJ to PA Turnpike. However it is bringing me quite a bit of joy to imagine someone accidentally interpreting that literally and attempting a 130mph down the Delaware, up the Schuykill Tour de Philly.

Nah. You always end up with mixed traffic somewhere. Definitely traffic that slows you down from 112. Plus, trucks have gotta be significantly lighter, too.

I am very familiar with the switch for the bolded section and know it implies NJ to PA Turnpike. However it is bringing me quite a bit of joy to imagine someone accidentally interpreting that literally and attempting a 130mph down the Delaware, up the Schuykill Tour de Philly.

Yeah, that would suck. And be a really long detour.

I'd be interested to know how long it took then to get thru the tunnel. I keep my car at the Red Ball Garage and about 10 minutes is my best time.

I'd be interested to know how long it took then to get thru the tunnel. I keep my car at the Red Ball Garage and about 10 minutes is my best time.

I don't know about this run, but traditionally they start in the middle of the night. The goal is to be well outside of the Philly burbs by sunrise. That would, coincidentally, give you your best time from the Red Ball to Weehawkin.

Now that you bring it up, though... I wonder what the difference would be between the Lincoln and the Holland. Certainly the elapsed time to the tunnel entrance would be longer for the Holland, but by how much? Because once you get to the tunnel entrances, the ET between there and the Southern Mixing Bowl would be way less for the Holland route.

I don't know about this run, but traditionally they start in the middle of the night. The goal is to be well outside of the Philly burbs by sunrise. That would, coincidentally, give you your best time from the Red Ball to Weehawkin.

Now that you bring it up, though... I wonder what the difference would be between the Lincoln and the Holland. Certainly the elapsed time to the tunnel entrance would be longer for the Holland, but by how much? Because once you get to the tunnel entrances, the ET between there and the Southern Mixing Bowl would be way less for the Holland route.
Interesting about the ET to the Mixing Bowl - I never really thought about that but with a late night departure from the RBG, the Holland would be significantly less time. We mostly go the TP to 280 but for a trip south, I'll consider the Holland. In 30 yrs at the RBG, I've probably gone to the Holland 2 or 3 times. All the lower mid-town construction and app car clutter (during normal times) make a trip to the Lincoln Tunnel mostly miserable.

Interesting about the ET to the Mixing Bowl - I never really thought about that but with a late night departure from the RBG, the Holland would be significantly less time. We mostly go the TP to 280 but for a trip south, I'll consider the Holland. In 30 yrs at the RBG, I've probably gone to the Holland 2 or 3 times. All the lower mid-town construction and app car clutter (during normal times) make a trip to the Lincoln Tunnel mostly miserable.

Yeah, that's consistent with my own thinking, as well. I've made the trip out the Extension probably a thousand times and the thing I really like about it - especially well off-hours - is that it's not patrolled, at all. It's only about 7 or 8 miles of road from the Holland to the TP but if there's no competing traffic you can literally go as fast as you want.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT