ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Next: Wildfire Season and COVID 19

RUforester72

All Conference
Jul 23, 2014
Bend Oregon
Wildfire season is about to begin in the south and the southwest, with the western states to follow by June. While it's looking like an "average" fire season, the logistical health challenge this year will be tremendous.

Fire crews and equipment are dispatched from all over the country, often via contract aircraft and commercial airlines. Fire camps (temporary bases of operations where crews eat and sleep) often include a thousand people. Fire fighting offers few opportunities to maintain "social distancing".

The good news is that most fires occur in rural areas and many firefighters are younger, but the increased health risks this fire season will certainly be cause for concern. Pray for rain.

Wildfire season is about to begin in the south and the southwest, with the western states to follow by June. While it's looking like an "average" fire season, the logistical health challenge this year will be tremendous.

Fire crews and equipment are dispatched from all over the country, often via contract aircraft and commercial airlines. Fire camps (temporary bases of operations where crews eat and sleep) often include a thousand people. Fire fighting offers few opportunities to maintain "social distancing".

The good news is that most fires occur in rural areas and many firefighters are younger, but the increased health risks this fire season will certainly be cause for concern. Pray for rain.
Another proof we never learn from the past but figure it’ll all work out were the USA

Reactions: Rhuarc

Plus floods and tornadoes in the Midwest

Think you said you used to cover the Coconino National Forest? It has been an unusually wet Spring season in Northern Arizona. So much so, some construction projects keep getting delayed. Trying to get a project completed on a roof top deck, and rain has set us back 2 or 3 weeks. It was a weak monsoon season last August, and perhaps Mother Nature is catching up.

Think you said you used to cover the Coconino National Forest? It has been an unusually wet Spring season in Northern Arizona. So much so, some construction projects keep getting delayed. Trying to get a project completed on a roof top deck, and rain has set us back 2 or 3 weeks. It was a weak monsoon season last August, and perhaps Mother Nature is catching up.
Yes I was the head guy there based in Flagstaff. Our precip here in Bend has been somewhat below average, but above average in other places in the west. I wouldn't bet on fire season getting rained out, short of divine intervention!

Reactions: Knight Shift
It's been exceptionally wet in the South this year, so wouldn't that lead at least to a late start for fire season?

Yes I was the head guy there based in Flagstaff. Our precip here in Bend has been somewhat below average, but above average in other places in the west. I wouldn't bet on fire season getting rained out, short of divine intervention!
Well, I will not doubt the expert, but can only hope you (and not me) invoked the board jinx!

As for Bend, 100" of rain is below normal? :Wink:

Good luck to those brave men and women as well. Hopefully we put one behind us and can fight this fully manned and equipped.

@RUforester72,

Don’t remember if I told you this but I was with the Eastern Area IMT for a fire in Alaska a few summers ago and we had four members from the Team who were Cook grads.

Reactions: RUforester72
@RUforester72,

Don’t remember if I told you this but I was with the Eastern Area IMT for a fire in Alaska a few summers ago and we had four members from the Team who were Cook grads.
I recall that. In my career with the US Forest Service I ran into a number of RU grads. One was even Undersecretary of Agriculture with direct responsibility for the agency. While I fought fire early in my career, my more recent time on large fires was spent as the agency administrator.

I recall that. In my career with the US Forest Service I ran into a number of RU grads. One was even Undersecretary of Agriculture with direct responsibility for the agency. While I fought fire early in my career, my more recent time on large fires was spent as the agency administrator.
I was COST for the one I was at up there.

And like the pic in your avatar, the bill for air was my biggest expense. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT