ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NFL Players Suspended for Gambling

yesrutgers01

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 9, 2008
I am a bit torn on this one- NFL is now making a ton off of NFL gambling- even moved a franchise to Vegas. All aspects of the NFL is now tied to gambling. And a couple of these players were not even betting on NFL but betting on college football. It is why I am always pro payer over owner.

But, on the other hand...You know you can't do it as an NFL player- So- go bet on anything else but NFL games yo dumb asses. Or- maybe set up your account under a family or friend if you really need to do it.

NFL Players Suspended

I am a bit torn on this one- NFL is now making a ton off of NFL gambling- even moved a franchise to Vegas. All aspects of the NFL is now tied to gambling. And a couple of these players were not even betting on NFL but betting on college football. It is why I am always pro payer over owner.

But, on the other hand...You know you can't do it as an NFL player- So- go bet on anything else but NFL games yo dumb asses. Or- maybe set up your account under a family or friend if you really need to do it.

NFL Players Suspended

It sounds like the two suspended for betting on college games was solely because they did it while at an NFL facility. {Face palm} Well bet at home you dummy!!! I have no sympathy for the 3 who bet NFL.

NFL Players Suspended
How can you be a bit torn on a player betting on his own sport??
The NFL doesn't directly doesn't make a penny on gambling but it does improve interest. Just like Fantasy Football. Moving the Raiders to Vegas wasn't the NFL decision it was the Raiders. Again the NFL made nothing on the move.

The NFL doesn't directly doesn't make a penny on gambling but it does improve interest. Just like Fantasy Football. Moving the Raiders to Vegas wasn't the NFL decision it was the Raiders. Again the NFL made nothing on the move.

Aren't many of the gambling sites sponsors of the NFL?

Imagine being a Lions fan.
I'm a Giants fan and been upset the for the last 10 years. I cant imagine being a Lions or Jets fan tbh.

I love this story former Redskins Chris Cooley TE beat himself in fantasy once.

I'm a Giants fan and been upset the for the last 10 years. I cant imagine being a Lions or Jets fan tbh.

I love this story former Redskins Chris Cooley TE beat himself in fantasy once.

Imagine being a Jets, Mets, Knicks and Rangers fan. That has to be the worst combo if you just go local.

NFL Players Suspended
Disgraceful.

Disgraceful that the league promotes gambling so much and then gets offended by gambling.

Gambling is a vice that never appealed to me.

No they are sponsors of the TV contracts.
It's much more than that. I believe the NFL's TV contracts prevent them from selling adtime to gambling agencies that aren't "officially licensed partners" of the NFL. And becoming a partner ain't free.

These sites also can't leverage NFL trademarks, etc. without being an NFL partner. Im sure there's a lot more examples of this.

If your point is that gambling benefits the NFL more so in indirect ways than direct ones, I can see that. But to say they don't directly profit from it is flat out wrong.

Reactions: Scarlet1984

NFL Players Suspended
It's a clear policy they violated so it's their own fault. I can sympathize with the 2 betting on college games at an NFL venue, but the ones betting on NFL games? That's the heart of the games integrity.

No they are sponsors of the TV contracts.

Well I don't watch the NFL so I have no direct info but that sounds a lot like a distinction without a difference.

You're saying they are all over the TV broadcast which 90% of NFL viewers use to watch the game but not on the jerseys or written on the field?

I actually think the players are dumb as shit for doing it. I am a little more easy on the two guys that bet on college.
What I am torn about is exactly what others mentioned- gambling sites are huge sponsors, we have teams in Vegas, stadiums are now going to have books, etc...
Gambling should never be an official part of the NFL. It is just asking for trouble.
But I hear you...it is still on the players. But the NFL is the most hypocritical sport out there.

Reactions: 29PAS and ashokan
Paul Hornung and Alex Karras both NFL HOF members received a year suspension for gambling in the 1960s
Calvin Ridley was suspended at the end of the 2021 season for gambling and just recently was reinstated

I actually think the players are dumb as shit for doing it. I am a little more easy on the two guys that bet on college.
What I am torn about is exactly what others mentioned- gambling sites are huge sponsors, we have teams in Vegas, stadiums are now going to have books, etc...
Gambling should never be an official part of the NFL. It is just asking for trouble.
But I hear you...it is still on the players. But the NFL is the most hypocritical sport out there.

Its young dudes that get addicted to gambling the most and NFL knows it.
Guys start gambling on their fav team (they are told that makes them "a real fan") and then they are playing a bunch of teams and gambling away the day hardly watching their team.
On YouTube you can pick your choice of screen to watch, and some are set-up just to follow gambling stats (and NFL owners are invested in big data firms).
Junkie Nation.

Its young dudes that get addicted to gambling the most and NFL knows it.
Guys start gambling on their fav team (they are told that makes them "a real fan") and then they are playing a bunch of teams and gambling away the day hardly watching their team.
On YouTube you can pick your choice of screen to watch, and some are set-up just to follow gambling stats (and NFL owners are invested in big data firms).
Junkie Nation.
You are right, these kids have grown up with sports gambling. You can’t find a sports TV or Radio show that isn’t giving out the lines on every game. There is a reason red zone is so popular.
The other thing you may notice too. Who are the commercials aimed at- there is a reason Kevin Hart and Jamie Foxx seem to be every one of them.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
It's much more than that. I believe the NFL's TV contracts prevent them from selling adtime to gambling agencies that aren't "officially licensed partners" of the NFL. And becoming a partner ain't free.

These sites also can't leverage NFL trademarks, etc. without being an NFL partner. Im sure there's a lot more examples of this.

If your point is that gambling benefits the NFL more so in indirect ways than direct ones, I can see that. But to say they don't directly profit from it is flat out wrong.
The only NFL approved gambling companies I've read about are those that have setups in NFL Stadiums. Commanders are the most recent to approve a betting site in the stadium.

New York football and the NFL have a long history with gambling.

Tim Mara - owner of the Giants - was a bookie.

The story of how he built the Giants and figured out how to leverage college football and out maneuver seemingly endless competition is really fascinating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT