ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJIT to America East

Agree that this is a good move for NJIT and the America East Conference.

Just took a look at the conferences wikipedia page, and noticed an oddity. I know lots of conferences have "associate" members that participate in only some sports (John Hopkins Lax in the B1G for example). Whats weird though is that Stanford, Cal, and UC-Davis (yes, three California schools) are associate members of the America East for field hockey only (along with Monmouth). What???

Just took a look at the conferences wikipedia page, and noticed an oddity. I know lots of conferences have "associate" members that participate in only some sports (John Hopkins Lax in the B1G for example). Whats weird though is that Stanford, Cal, and UC-Davis (yes, three California schools) are associate members of the America East for field hockey only (along with Monmouth). What???

I live in Davis and had no idea they are part of the AE in any way. That is weird. Field hockey, like lacrosse is slowly gaining traction in the west.

Another random tidbit, apparently NJIT will have the largest baseball facility/stadium capacity amongst their new conference mates with the minor league stadium in Newark being used as their home field.

Didn't Riverfront Stadium get demolished?
Not sure, haven't been past there in several years. If so, then I guess they'll have to find another home, not sure if that would be somewhere on their campus or elsewhere. And the AmericaEast wiki page will need updating.

I wonder where the RU-Newark Scarlet Raiders play baseball these days? If they play on a university-owned field maybe the Highlanders will try to work out an arrangement with Rutgers since it would be convenient from a location standpoint.

Not sure, haven't been past there in several years. If so, then I guess they'll have to find another home, not sure if that would be somewhere on their campus or elsewhere. And the AmericaEast wiki page will need updating.

I wonder where the RU-Newark Scarlet Raiders play baseball these days? If they play on a university-owned field maybe the Highlanders will try to work out an arrangement with Rutgers since it would be convenient from a location standpoint.

I looked it up - RU-Newark plays at Weequahic Park.

Reactions: RUnTeX
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT