ADVERTISEMENT

OT: North end Boston

Been decades. Is the original Regina's still there? I suspect there has been substantial gentrification of the housing.

Yes it is. Very nice neighborhood. I wouldn't call it underrated as OP does as everyone knows it's a must see on a trip to Boston.
I come everytime I’m here but when I talk to people about Boston it’s rarely mentioned

So much charm, character & history

The dozens of times that I've been in the city I've never walked the Freedom Trail. I think I'll do that on this trip before I'm not able to.
But the history and all there is a do here, I feel like you can easily spend two weeks and still not get it all in

Two of my kids went to school in Boston and one still lives nearby. Will be visiting in July.
As a history guy you can't ask for a better city to visit.
very true!!!!!

you mentioned the freedom walk and we have tournament up there this summer and plan on doing lexington, concord, salem, plymouth rock and the freedom tour as we're taking some days to do 'Boston'

not sure about a sox game though

I went to grad school up there, fantastic city sans the sox

very true!!!!!

you mentioned the freedom walk and we have tournament up there this summer and plan on doing lexington, concord, salem, plymouth rock and the freedom tour as we're taking some days to do 'Boston'

not sure about a sox game though

I went to grad school up there, fantastic city sans the sox
I’m hitting a couple games this week, hoping those knuckleheads protesting at BU will not interfere with anything as it’s in close proximity to Fenway

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I’m hitting a couple games this week, hoping those knuckleheads protesting at BU will not interfere with anything as it’s in close proximity to Fenway
I can't recall off the top of my head but there is a bar/pub that is still there where you can get a beer and sit in the same are where the Boston Tea Party was planned

also Bunker Hill 'Whites of their eyes' is a MUST see........as is the Constitution

the Constitution and Big J share one incredible statistic in that both traded blows of naval engagement and never lost a soul to enemy canon/artillery

also the outline for the field of of the first world series, with statue of Cy Young mound location and home plate, is at Northeastern's campus. Highly recommend checking that out. it's open to public where the wall is insde the current gym area and there are incredible and original photos on the wall.

Boston likes to outline things ha

Ahhh - in that case I stand corrected
Check out the Seaport area as well. It's across the water from the Tea Party area. All brand new and modern. Good to walk around and check everything out. If you like beer hit up Trillium in Fort Point area of Seaport.

Check out the Seaport area as well. It's across the water from the Tea Party area. All brand new and modern. Good to walk around and check everything out. If you like beer hit up Trillium in Fort Point area of Seaport.
Sweet - I’m staying at the Westin next to convention center at the Seaport so I will definitely do that

Sweet - I’m staying at the Westin next to convention center at the Seaport so I will definitely do that
Very good hotel! I normally stay at that one when I am up there also. Have family in Southie for 20 years so know the area well.

Very good hotel! I normally stay at that one when I am up there also. Have family in Southie for 20 years so know the area well.
Out of the ones I’ve stayed in this is my favorite, I’ve been meaning to stay in the wharf side by Marriott right on the water, but I cannot get a decent price!

Out of the ones I’ve stayed in this is my favorite, I’ve been meaning to stay in the wharf side by Marriott right on the water, but I cannot get a decent price!
Yeah that one is always expensive for some reason so haven't stayed there either. During Covid I got a good rate for the converted prison The Liberty which was a cool hotel. Also like staying in Assembly Square The Row which is a little bit north but that whole area was built up so a lot to do even if you don't want to leave the immediate area.

Also I was thinking and The Hill in Providence is probably the underrated Little Italy in the area. Lots of great stuff there.

When our son was about 9-13 we did week long vacations in Boston, NYC, DC, Philly and Baltimore, doing lots of fun stuff, but also taking time out to learn about the history of each city, which obviously includes some US history. Loved the Freedom Trail in particular. We also did a week long tour of most of the famous Civil War sites (at least in VA/MD/PA). Maybe not a surprise that he ended up majoring in history lol.

August is the time to visit the North End. That is Festa season. Each weekend, Hanover Street is transformed into the Godfather 2 prequel celebration scene, except that Don Fanucci doesn't get killed. Nor, to my knowledge, does anyone else.

Big fan of Boston, one of my favorite cities. Freedom Trail is a must imo. Aside from that my best recommendations are…
1. Take a duckboat tour. Best way to see all of the city and learn while you’re at it.
2. Trillium Brewery. Amazing beer, good food. Can’t beat it. Fort Point was where I went but there are other locations.
3. 75 Chestnut is my favorite restaurant there if you’re looking for a steakhouse.

Mike’s is good for bakery….if you want stand on line and feel like you are at Carlos

Modern Bakery good as well

Bova’s and Parziale’s down Prince are can’t miss.

I use the North-end to wait for my kid’s flights in. Always good to start with Cannolis.

Mike’s is good for bakery….if you want stand on line and feel like you are at Carlos

Modern Bakery good as well

Bova’s and Parziale’s down Prince are can’t miss.

I use the North-end to wait for my kid’s flights in. Always good to start with Cannolis.
The Florentine cannoli at Mike's is my favorite.

The square slice at Galleria Umberto is worth trying also. It's more of a bakery but the make pies until they sell out.

Back again tonight
Sox game was cold so I jetted out in the 5th to grab a meal

You simply can’t beat the vibe of this city, and in particular, this neighborhood

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT