ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Now it's real Mantle 52 card

RUhasarrived

All American
May 7, 2007
His 1952 Topps card sold on Wednesday for 5.2 MILLION!

All that money creating had to go somewhere besides the stock market and Real Estate.

In 1973,a card dealer on Staten Island was selling the entire 1952 407 card set for $350.Since that was about my bi-weekly paycheck,I passed on it.Story of my life.

All that money creating had to go somewhere besides the stock market and Real Estate.

In 1973,a card dealer on Staten Island was selling the entire 1952 407 card set for $350.Since that was about my bi-weekly paycheck,I passed on it.Story of my life.
Boo Hoo. In other news I did not win the lottery.

Reactions: newell138

The story behind the 52 Mantle is crazy.
The Mantle card was a high number and didn’t come out for sale until late summer.
All the stars were low numbers because sales were always high in the spring.
They had so much inventory of the late issue high number cards they decided to dump them, including all the Mantle cards into the Hudson River.
Obviously, collecting is based on scarcity, hence the ridiculous prices for 52 mint Mantles.
For future investing purposes my rookie card has risen to 25 cents

I always traded my stars for marginal Mets players, especially those from the years before I started collecting in 75. Dreamed about owning a 67 Seaver, could have purchased one on a number of occasions, but didn't have the money.

Boo Hoo. In other news I did not win the lottery.
The Mantle card was a high number and didn’t come out for sale until late summer.
They had so much inventory of the late issue high number cards they decided to dump them, including all the Mantle cards into the Hudson River.
Obviously, collecting is based on scarcity, hence the ridiculous prices for 52 mint Mantles.
That is great. Years ago I was told it wasn't worth two cents.🙂

I use to take my Yankee cards
and attach them to my bike
to make that purring sound when they hit the spokes. I'm pretty sure high number cards went first. lol So The 52 mantle
might have been one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plum Street
I still have all of my baseball cards . I started collecting in 1971 . I even have a few that don't say San Diego Padres but they say National League Padres. All my cards are in order and in books and in pretty good condition. I have told my wife when I drop dead I want them to be put in my coffin and buried with me.

I still have all of my baseball cards . I started collecting in 1971 . I even have a few that don't say San Diego Padres but they say National League Padres. All my cards are in order and in books and in pretty good condition. I have told my wife when I drop dead I want them to be put in my coffin and buried with me.
If they truly are in good condition. You’ve got what we call in the business twi-light cards of hall of famers:
Clemente
Billy Wiiliams
McCovey
Mays
Gibson
Kaline
Pull them out and get them graded, you could be sitting on thousands of dollars.

My brother had that whole set and im pretty sure my mother threw them out back in the day.

If they truly are in good condition. You’ve got what we call in the business twi-light cards of hall of famers:
Clemente
Billy Wiiliams
McCovey
Mays
Gibson
Kaline
Pull them out and get them graded, you could be sitting on thousands of dollars.
I have like 20 ricky Henderson rookies that used to be worth $$$

Clemente
Billy Wiiliams
McCovey
Mays
Gibson
Kaline
I do have some of the players you mentioned. I also have some of those players from multiple years. Might be worth looking into. It could help my wife pay for the party she will have when I drop dead.

That's not happening. Lol

Clemente
Billy Wiiliams
McCovey
Mays
Gibson
Kaline
Zappa any recommendation on how to get cards graded by someone reputable? Thanks

At least you got one. That can’t ever be taken away.

Reactions: NickKnight 1
When each of my kids was born my former boss sent them a complete Topps set from that year. Always thought that was a classy gift, and they’ve remained unwrapped and in storage. Hoping that there are some gems and we remember we have them 50 years from now.

Last edited:
Zappa any recommendation on how to get cards graded by someone reputable? Thanks
As Bethlehem stated PSA is the best and most reputable.
Funny story, after my father died, we had some baseball inventory signed Yogi Berra,
MVP 51, 54, 55
They are an excellent “specialty ball” we had my dad sign specifically for my brothers and I, obviously right in front of us with me feeding him the balls for signature.
We sent a dozen to PSA to get graded and authenticated for value.
They send them back to us as fake, forged, unauthentic signatures....lol
Of course we called the boss at PSA immediately and told who submitted the balls and he was ridiculously embarrassed by it.
He re-graded them all authentic and gem mint.
Who knows what he did with the guy that thought they were forged

I have some of those Padres cards. They thought the Pads were heading to Montreal IIRC. Or was it Washington?

I have a bunch of Hank Arron four cards per card of all of his previous cards from like 74(?) Issued the year after he took the HR lead. They seem to be worth a little bit.

This series:
144523.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: goru1869
I remember using baseball cards on my spokes of my bicycle held on with clothes pins.
I wonder how many millions got worn to tatters making sweet sounds on my Schwinn.

I had a sweet Schwinn Orange Crate chopper 5 speed. Until it go stolen. : (

I remember using baseball cards on my spokes of my bicycle held on with clothes pins.
I wonder how many millions got worn to tatters making sweet sounds on my Schwinn.
And I remember flipping cards against the wall or steps! Hoping to have my card land on another card and win that hand and scoop them up, or challenge myself and knock down the “leaners”. Lol
Man, all the bent and smashed corners on those cards!

I had a sweet Schwinn Orange Crate chopper 5 speed. Until it go stolen. : (
I had an Apple Crate I left out in the rain one time over night.
My dad saw it and here’s how the conversation went.
Dad: You don’t take care of your belongings very well so I’m going to take this from you for a while.
Me: I’m sorry dad, I love my new bike, when can I have it back.
Dad: When I give it to you.
End of conversation.

I wonder how many cards I put in my spokes would have made me millions, if I didn't destroy them.
Might have lost a few million pitching cards against walls and curbs.

Such were the days when buying baseball cars ( along with the crummy gum that came with the pack of cards) wasn't an investment, but just looking for favorite players, trading the ones that you didn't want for those you did based on the player or team, not the value of card.

Those you didn't think much of wound up on spokes or used testing your flipping skills.
Not in safety deposit boxes with current value looked up like you do your stock holdings.
What was used for fun in one generation, became an investment for another generation.

Reactions: RUScrew85
I had an Apple Crate I left out in the rain one time over night.
My dad saw it and here’s how the conversation went.
Dad: You don’t take care of your belongings very well so I’m going to take this from you for a while.
Me: I’m sorry dad, I love my new bike, when can I have it back.
Dad: When I give it to you.
End of conversation.

So then you stole my Orange Crate?

• Haha
Reactions: redking and zappaa
I wonder how many cards I put in my spokes would have made me millions, if I didn't destroy them.
Might have lost a few million pitching cards against walls and curbs.

Such were the days when buying baseball cars ( along with the crummy gum that came with the pack of cards) wasn't an investment, but just looking for favorite players, trading the ones that you didn't want for those you did based on the player or team, not the value of card.

Those you didn't think much of wound up on spokes or used testing your flipping skills.
Not in safety deposit boxes with current value looked up like you do your stock holdings.
What was used for fun in one generation, became an investment for another generation.

My brother and I put the scrubs in spokes and saved the stars to trade. What we didn't count on was my mother deciding to do a major decluttering of our shared bedroom once he, the younger, started college.

Dad: End of conversation

Sound familiar?

I always traded my stars for marginal Mets players, especially those from the years before I started collecting in 75. Dreamed about owning a 67 Seaver, could have purchased one on a number of occasions, but didn't have the money.
I did the same and still have all my Mets cards from 68 to the late 70s. None are in very good condition as they all have tack holes in them from hanging on the walls

Reactions: patk89 and MADHAT1
As Bethlehem stated PSA is the best and most reputable.
Funny story, after my father died, we had some baseball inventory signed Yogi Berra,
MVP 51, 54, 55
They are an excellent “specialty ball” we had my dad sign specifically for my brothers and I, obviously right in front of us with me feeding him the balls for signature.
We sent a dozen to PSA to get graded and authenticated for value.
They send them back to us as fake, forged, unauthentic signatures....lol
Of course we called the boss at PSA immediately and told who submitted the balls and he was ridiculously embarrassed by it.
He re-graded them all authentic and gem mint.
Who knows what he did with the guy that thought they were forged
Lol thanks!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT