ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

I don't know about BigEastPhil, but I'm not a fan of anything Yankee having a say in Mets manners.😊 The first week of the season the Mets fooled around with players who had no business being in the MLB and it led to a very slow start. That was frustrating beyond belief. I reacted negatively because I felt it was cruel to see this approach consider how Mets fans have been suffering for such a long time. It gave me flashback to the Coupons Era.🥺 Most Rutgers/Mets fans have PTSD.
I'm not a fan of anything Yankee having a say in Mets manners. This speaks to a lot of Mets fans. I'm still willing to give this manager the benefit of a doubt.

Well I'll chime in and say that I thought that his calling for a double steal late in the game last night was brilliant. All those years with the Yankees so you know he knows Chapman very well. Strengths and weaknesses. So knew he could exploit him there even with guys who normally wouldn't be swiping bases.
Chapman, with a gift from up above, still touches 100 mph but wasn't gifted much of a baseball brain I guess. It was very satisfying watching his meltdown.

A lot of our big arms went last night. Pretty good results across the board.

2 more injuries in our top 30. Ziegler and Garcia placed on the IL.

Jett starting off semi-slow. Houck and Clifford very slow. Parada and Ramirez a bit better than last year so far. Ramirez apparently changed his swing a little so could be a factor. Baez and Morabito will have some helium.

I'll probably start adding some more names to the HM section next week.

April 16 Mets Farm Report (Top 30 Prospects per MLB Pipeline)

AVG/OPS or E.R.A (W-L) (S)

1. Jett Williams SS/CF (AA Binghamton) - 1/3, 2 BB, .200/.666
  2. Drew Gilbert OF (AAA Syracuse) - Injured
  3. Luisangel Acuna SS/2B (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  4. Ryan Clifford OF/1B (High A Brooklyn) - 1/4, K, .167/.592
  5. Christian Scott RHP (AAA Syracuse) - 5.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 7 K, 2 HR, 3.77, W(2-0)
  6. Ronny Mauricio 2B/SS/OF (NY Mets) - Injured; Out for Season
  7. Colin Houck SS (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/6, 2 K, .158/.461
  8. Marco Vargas INF (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  9. Kevin Parada C (AA Binghamton) - 0/2, 2 BB, K, .263/.904
  10. Blade Tidwell RHP (AA Binghamton) - 5.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 10 K, 0 HR, 1.69, W(1-1)
  11. Mike Vasil RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  12. Jeremy Rodriguez SS (Extended Spring Training) - N/A
  13. Brandon Sproat RHP (High A Brooklyn) - 4.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 1 HR, 1.35
  14. Dominic Hamel RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  15. Jacob Reimer 3B/1B (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  16. Alex Ramirez OF (AA Binghamton) - 1/4, K, .353/.937
  17. Yovanny Rodriguez C (Extended Spring Training) - N/A
  18. Tyler Stuart RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  19. Nolan McLean RHP/DH (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  20. Ronald Hernandez C/1B (Low A St. Lucie) - 2/5, 2B(2), 2 R, RBI, 2 K, .276/.808
  21. Jesus Baez SS/2B (Low A St. Lucie) - 2/6, 2 2B(5), 2 RBI, K, .273/.833
  22. Calvin Ziegler RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  23. Wilfredo Lara OF/3B (Low A St. Lucie) - Injured
  24. Nate Lavender LHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  25. Boston Baro SS (Rookie FCL Mets) - Injured
  26. Nick Morabito OF (Low A St. Lucie) - 4/4, R, RBI, BB, .353/1.040
  27. Raimon Gomez RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  28. Joander Suarez RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  29. Saul Garcia RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - Injured
  30. Rhylan Thomas OF (AA Binghamton) - 2/5, RBI, SB(3), .290/.758
Honorable Mention

• Kade Morris RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - 4.2 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 0 HR, 1.86
  • Jonah Tong RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP

Paywall article from The Athletic.

Return of Martinez projected for April 26 against the Cards.

No timeline on Senga.

Stearns say the defense has to get better.

That sums it up if you can't read the link.

Darth Vader GIF by Star Wars

Tyrone Taylor and Harrison Bader back to back key 2 out hits/rbis. I did NOT expect this out of those two. And, Lindor started it all off with a lefty hit! It's a miracle

So after that 0-5 start at home and the lack of offense, look who's scored more runs after the same 18 games before the Yankees game today. Instead of enjoying their historic start, some of them spent more time in this thread busting balls and gloating. I'll leave it at that and enjoy this terrific turnaround for a couple of days before the dreaded west coast trip. 😁

So much for all the hysterics about The Mets bringing up and dfa pitchers. Look who leads MLB with the most K's for a bullpen. 😁

Your feelings on the manager have sure turned around from when you posted this after the first handful of games.
One thing I’m not is stubborn ! 😂

I can easily be persuaded based on facts / results !

Now if we re 10 games under .500 on Memorial Day - I might be singing a different tune !

A lot of our big arms went last night. Pretty good results across the board.

2 more injuries in our top 30. Ziegler and Garcia placed on the IL.

Jett starting off semi-slow. Houck and Clifford very slow. Parada and Ramirez a bit better than last year so far. Ramirez apparently changed his swing a little so could be a factor. Baez and Morabito will have some helium.

I'll probably start adding some more names to the HM section next week.

April 16 Mets Farm Report (Top 30 Prospects per MLB Pipeline)

1. Jett Williams SS/CF (AA Binghamton) - 1/3, 2 BB, .200/.666
  4. Ryan Clifford OF/1B (High A Brooklyn) - 1/4, K, .167/.592
  5. Christian Scott RHP (AAA Syracuse) - 5.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 7 K, 2 HR, 3.77, W(2-0)
  7. Colin Houck SS (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/6, 2 K, .158/.461
  9. Kevin Parada C (AA Binghamton) - 0/2, 2 BB, K, .263/.904
  10. Blade Tidwell RHP (AA Binghamton) - 5.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 10 K, 0 HR, 1.69, W(1-1)
  13. Brandon Sproat RHP (High A Brooklyn) - 4.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 1 HR, 1.35
  14. Dominic Hamel RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  16. Alex Ramirez OF (AA Binghamton) - 1/4, K, .353/.937
  18. Tyler Stuart RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  19. Nolan McLean RHP/DH (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  20. Ronald Hernandez C/1B (Low A St. Lucie) - 2/5, 2B(2), 2 R, RBI, 2 K, .276/.808
  21. Jesus Baez SS/2B (Low A St. Lucie) - 2/6, 2 2B(5), 2 RBI, K, .273/.833
  26. Nick Morabito OF (Low A St. Lucie) - 4/4, R, RBI, BB, .353/1.040
  28. Joander Suarez RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  30. Rhylan Thomas OF (AA Binghamton) - 2/5, RBI, SB(3), .290/.758
Honorable Mention

• Kade Morris RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - 4.2 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 0 HR, 1.86
Very small 1 game sample but in the game I saw at Lakewood last year - Ryan Clifford looked awful against lefties striking out all 4 times.
He’s young and he ll develop but just something I noticed.

Went to game today. For those looking to a catch ball or tshirt, I recommend section 110.

This team has actually become fun. Even the "role" players- Taylor/Stewart - these guys have really picked it up over the past week. Lindor has a .344 OBP in the last week. Marte has been solid all year, as has Bader. McNeil has really picked it up and Alonso- always streaky but on his normal 45/100+ - Nimmo to streaky but has had his moments- Baty has really been good. Alvarez has been slow but I guess he will make it up stealing bases now. lol

Pitching- Seve may be the signing of the year- will be great if he stays healthy. Butto - damn- kid has been on, Quintana is who he is- solid. The BP has been surprisingly good.
And we still are waiting for Senga/JD and have a couple of arms lighting up the minors.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Paywall article from The Athletic.

Return of Martinez projected for April 26 against the Cards.

No timeline on Senga.

Stearns say the defense has to get better.

That sums it up if you can't read the link.
In the article, Stearns states that his first milepost to assess the team is the 45 game mark. Not five. Not eighteen. Forty-five.

To quote: “Getting to that point (45 games) and doing a check-in on where you are as a team in the various elements of your roster is probably a healthy thing to do. Clearly, avoiding impulsive and reactionary decisions generally proves beneficial.”

In fairness, he meant for him. He didn't mean for us.

Very small 1 game sample but in the game I saw at Lakewood last year - Ryan Clifford looked awful against lefties striking out all 4 times.
He’s young and he ll develop but just something I noticed.
He said he has trouble seeing the ball there because of the signage. Not sure how much that's contributing to it.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Damn, congrats Mets fans! 10-3 since the bad start. And thank you for the help. Much appreciated. I always thought this line up would hit.

Congrats on the sweep. Not sure about the planning involved in game 2, but what was done was done.

The first week of the season the Mets fooled around with players who had no business being in the MLB and it led to a very slow start.
I assume you are referring to Michael Tonkin? He is back in the Mets organization. Mets claimed him on waivers after the Twins DFA'd him. So we may not have seen the last of him.

To make room for him on the 40 man, Tyler Jay was DFA'd.

• Wow
Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Braves are just annual pain
that has been the thing- a couple of years ago- I don't care if we finished weak but we finished in a place that is 1st 90% of the time and those damn Braves just wouldnt lose. And a day like today- we win and watch those guys- everything indicated an Atl loss but of course- they win.
I give them credit but it just pisses me off lol

Reactions: rurichdog
April 17 Mets Farm Report (Top 30 Prospects per MLB Pipeline)

1. Jett Williams SS/CF (AA Binghamton) - PPD
  4. Ryan Clifford OF/1B (High A Brooklyn) - 1/3, 2B(3), BB, K, .179/.637
  5. Christian Scott RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  7. Colin Houck SS (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/4, 3 K, .143/.419
  9. Kevin Parada C (AA Binghamton) - PPD
  10. Blade Tidwell RHP (AA Binghamton) - PPD
  13. Brandon Sproat RHP (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  14. Dominic Hamel RHP (AAA Syracuse) - 5.1 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 6 K, 1 HR, 6.23
  16. Alex Ramirez OF (AA Binghamton) - PPD
  18. Tyler Stuart RHP (AA Binghamton) - PPD
  19. Nolan McLean RHP/DH (High A Brooklyn) - 2.2 IP, 2 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 4 K, 0 HR, 9.00, L(0-1)
  20. Ronald Hernandez C/1B (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  21. Jesus Baez SS/2B (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/4, R, SB(3), .271/.806
  26. Nick Morabito OF (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/2, K, .333/1.000
  28. Joander Suarez RHP (AA Binghamton) - PPD
  30. Rhylan Thomas OF (AA Binghamton) - PPD
Honorable Mention

• Kade Morris RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP

Reactions: Knight Shift
Plenty of players today can't execute basic things such sac bunt, hit & run, etc. because the focus is on the long ball and hitting everything hard.
Hell, baseball make up stupid rules to cover the fact that players can’t simply hit the ball the other way anymore.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
@Zak57 - that Gooden ceremony has me antsy for a young stud call-up. Any guess on who that is and when? Looks like it would be Scott based on the rankings, but I admittedly only follow the big league club.

@Zak57 - that Gooden ceremony has me antsy for a young stud call-up. Any guess on who that is and when? Looks like it would be Scott based on the rankings, but I admittedly only follow the big league club.
Yup Christian Scott is the closest thing we've got to that at this point. At this stage he's got huge K/9 and K/BB numbers and will be up this year. Mets did a great job with his development ad we should see him at some point in the Summer. He's got a great 4 seam FB and he can dial it up to 98 at times but he knows how to command and control it. The go to word lately is tunneling and he can do that. He also has a slider, sweeper, and a change that he'll use. His upside is not that of a true #1 but hey neither was deGrom so we'll never know how these guys keep developing.

We have Hamel and Vasil but they're more back end guys or even pen arms. Hamel puts out big spin rates his whole career.

The other really live arm guys are Tidwell and Sproat.

I mentioned this at some in the past this year but the new pitching lab is going to play a huge role this year. I think we'll see a lot of gains with the arms in the system and early returns are that could be the case. Butto basically re-invented the way he's pitched this year so I am interested to see what he credits that to like the lab or something else.

Have to say a day off and traveling cross country couldn't have come at a worse time!!!! Team on a roll going 10-3 after the horrendous start,timing sucks.

The Rumble Ponies are scheduled to be on SNY tonight at 7:30pm. Depending on the weather.

Edit: Guess weather issues

Last edited:
I assume you are referring to Michael Tonkin? He is back in the Mets organization. Mets claimed him on waivers after the Twins DFA'd him. So we may not have seen the last of him.

To make room for him on the 40 man, Tyler Jay was DFA'd.
@cubuffsdoug If you liked that post, you'll love this one. Michael Tonkin has been activated and is in uniform tonight in LA. We say goodbye to Grant Hartwig before we even had a chance to say hello.

• Haha
Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Any thoughts on the Mets CityConnect uniforms? I hate 'em. Who thought Concrete was an attractive color? Who even knew it was a color?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT