ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2024 Summer Olympics Thread

Watching the opening ceremony is as dumb as watching the SB halftime show. Waste of time.
Opinions are like...

Rick Ross Booty GIF by Worldstar Hip Hop

Yeah totally lost on Snoop Dog thing - seems so random. is he huge in France or something?
"Snoop Dogg is in Paris to help cover the Games for NBC, part of the U.S. broadcaster’s bet to boost ratings by infusing coverage with pop culture."

Snoopy crip walking the torch is an NBC thing. He conjures up as a slightly edgy but "safe rapper" who can be used as a decoration. No DMX or 6ix9ine loose canons. Fellow Rhodes scholar Flava Flav framed the drama of the moment

"Flavor Flav says as soon as Snoop Dogg emerges in Paris with the Olympic torch in hand on Friday -- no one in the hip hop community will ever forget it ... explaining this week it'll be "a very, very big moment for rap music history."

Next time = "Hawk Tuah" and "Meet Me Outside" girls

Last edited:
Thought it was fantastic. The athletes floating down the Seine under all those bridges was genius - way more interesting than folks filing into a big stadium and you could see how much fun they were all having despite the rain. Thought the musical performances were great and loved how they weaved French culture - art, fashion, music, food, architecture and more - into the ceremonies. Paris is probably my favorite place I've ever been on this planet and the City of Light shone brightly tonight. And no surprise that bac and a few of the usual suspects found something to be offended by.

Of course because that freak show represented your religion

• Haha
Reactions: okieKnight908
The Last Supper takeoff is highly offensive.

The parade of athletes on the Seine was a creative twist. I hardly watched any of the ceremonies.

It's cool to have a lot of less popular sports to choose from this morning. Water polo, volleyball, badminton, cycling time trial in the rain...

Reactions: koleszar
It was good but The Last Supper thing was stupid. They know exactly what they were doing, even though they're now trying to explain it away. In this setting it's uncalled for. The Olympics are meant to unite the world, instead they chose to high light this divisive skit. I would say the same thing if they had Cardinal's marching through with crosses chanting, Jesus will save you. It was a disgusting display mocking people's religion and I'm a heathen.

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
Of course because that freak show represented your religion
Uhhh, I don't have any "religion." I don't follow stories from hundreds or thousands of years ago that humans made up about all-powerful gods, which is what humans have done in parallel in most cultures in an attempt to explain the then-inexplicable wonders of nature (and in some religions to control their populations through fear and guilt). I subscribe to the philosophy of secular humanism, as defined below. I also don't get my knickers all twisted up by a harmless parody of an event supposedly held by Jesus - you know the man who taught people to love thy neighbor as thyself.

Secular humanism is a philosophy, belief system, or life stance that embraces human reason, logic, secular ethics, and philosophical naturalism, while specifically rejecting religious dogma, supernaturalism, and superstition as the basis of morality and decision-making.

Did the rest of the opening ceremonies offend you too or just that little bit? My guess is you didn't watch any of it, but were monitoring Truth Social for your talking points, as usual and had to rush here to share your input. Otherwise, perhaps you might have noted the stirring tributes to the efforts to restore Notre Dame Cathedral after the terrible fire or the themes of liberty, equality and fraternity (the cornerstones of the French Revolution and ideals which have been pretty important in American history too) that were seen throughout the ceremonies, but maybe you're not too keen on those either, judging by your posting history.

Was holding my breath throughout the opening ceremonies that they wouldn't be marred by violence/terrorism and the French security operation was a major success, as the ceremonies went off without a hitch. Here's an interesting article about those security measures and preparations for the opening ceremonies, which were clearly made more complex by having them going on throughout large parts of the city instead of in an isolated venue. Let's hope the security continues to be this successful throughout the Olympics, since clearly there are elements in France (and everywhere really) intent on attacking infrastructure (like the arson attacks on several train station nerve centers earlier yesterday) and people.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...ing-ceremony/ar-BB1qHWMg?ocid=nl_article_link

It was good but The Last Supper thing was stupid. They know exactly what they were doing, even though they're now trying to explain it away. In this setting it's uncalled for. The Olympics are meant to unite the world, instead they chose to high light this divisive skit. I would say the same thing if they had Cardinal's marching through with crosses chanting, Jesus will save you. It was a disgusting display mocking people's religion and I'm a heathen.
I'm a heathen but I do not understand why either had to be part of the opening ceremony. Why put something offensive or supportive on display at a sporting event especially if you were not going to have a display for the religion or non-religion of every participant.

Watched like 2 minutes of the opening ceremony for the first time in years out of curiosity and turned it off, weirdest shit I’ve ever seen.

Were they always like this? I remember them being interesting or at least normal in 2008 and prior.
I also thought they were over the top.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT