ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ole Miss penalties

Scarlet16E

All American
Nov 22, 2005
Stoddard, NH
Timing worked out well for Ole Miss (Tennessee dumpster fire taking all the headlines).

After five years, the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions finally issued a ruling in Ole Miss’s recruiting scandal on Friday morning.

The core penalties, per a source close to Ole Miss:

• An additional bowl-ban year (2018).
  • Because of that total two-year bowl ban, NCAA rules state Ole Miss players are now free to transfer elsewhere without sitting out a season.
  • Probation running concurrently with current probation for a total of four years.
  • Financial penalties.
  • A total scholarship reduction of 13 over a period of years. That’s in addition to the 11 over four years that Ole Miss self-imposed, which already meant three or four fewer scholarship players per year.
  • Every coach named in the NCAA’s investigation has received a show-cause (essentially an NCAA blackball for a period of time). That doesn’t include new head coach Matt Luke, who wasn’t named. Former assistant David Saunders’ show-cause runs for eight years. Former staffer Barney Farrar faces five.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...e-miss-ncaa-sanctions-penalties-investigation

they are screwed. Everyone knows their coach was hired as a placeholder. Those kids are gonna transfer in droves.

Interesting article. Did I read correct that Mississippi State also offered Leo Lewis $10K to go play for them, via the father of a teammate? If that's accurate, how much hot water will they be in?

they are screwed. Everyone knows their coach was hired as a placeholder. Those kids are gonna transfer in droves.

Wonder if Myles Hartsfield decides to come home if he knows he won't be eligible for a bowl game until his Senior year.

Wonder if Myles Hartsfield decides to come home if he knows he won't be eligible for a bowl game until his Senior year.
thought about him but he'd probably stay SEC or maybe even try his luck at PSU again as he's been problem free.

Ole Miss...what a joke. Folks, this is exhibit A for how you do it the wrong way. They should have sent a few delegates to Chapel Hill to learn from the pros. It’s okay to pay $13k to a recruit so long as you give that opportunity to non athletes as well. And you don’t self-impose bowl bans and schollie restrictions. You say to the NCAA, “hold on, I’m too busy counting my money. Come apologize to us another day.”

Possible transfer candidates for RU:
Qaadir Sheppard: DT, from Bronx. Started at Cuse transferred to Ole Miss
Mac Brown: P, Minnesota
Nick Haynes: TE, PA
Austrian Robinson: DT, NY
Myles Hartsfield: DB, NJ

Brett McMurphy‏Verified account@Brett_McMurphy 2m2 minutes ago
With Ole Miss bowl ban in 2018 allowing players to transfer w/out penalty, one FBS head coach texted me: “Watch 'em jump ship. Immediately eligible!"
no doubt. It's no secret that I hate PSU but the kids who went there bought into the whole Paterno legacy, no names on the shirts, and the greater good of PSU mantra. That aint Ole Miss. These kids are gonna be like kids in a candy store who get to start their recruiting bidding war machines back up.

He was hiered largely because the player love the guy. You won't see a mass defection.

He was hiered largely because the player love the guy. You won't see a mass defection.
He was hired because everyone knew sanctions were coming and nobody would take the job.
He's an Ol coach whose highest post was Co-OC. Remind you of anyone?

Reactions: cicero grimes
Possible transfer candidates for RU:
Qaadir Sheppard: DT, from Bronx. Started at Cuse transferred to Ole Miss
Mac Brown: P, Minnesota
Nick Haynes: TE, PA
Austrian Robinson: DT, NY
Myles Hartsfield: DB, NJ
Robinson should be called immediately. Jafar Williams recruited him while at Purdue and helped get him to take an OV there.

Reactions: motorb54
If he that interested in going to a bowl game why would he transfer to Rutgers? A bowl game in not a sure thing. I also think it would bad for both parties as his past will pop up again and have a new round of headlines.

Reactions: spinach
Robinson should be called immediately. Jafar Williams recruited him while at Purdue and helped get him to take an OV there.
I had not heard the term "wilding" since the Bernard Goetz incident.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...missed_de_qaadir_sheppard_may_start_at_o.html

Sheppard was dismissed for a violation of team rules in February 2016 following a freshman season in which he served as a reserve, appearing in nine games and logging one tackle as well as an interception. Sheppard and Amir Ealey, another defensive end in his class, were dismissed at the same time by then-recently hired head coach Dino Babers. Both Sheppard and Ealey had been indefinitely suspended about two months earlier following failed second drug tests.

Sheppard spoke about his experience at SU and his eagerness for a second chance to Ole Miss media on Tuesday.
"I just feel like more chill," Sheppard said. "I'm older and I've learned from my experiences, learned from my mistakes. I feel like right now I'm chilling, just focusing on football, focusing on the right stuff instead of partying and stuff like that."
Sheppard said he was "wilding" in his lone year at Syracuse and described the student lifestyle at Ole Miss as being significantly more laid back. He believes that's helped him be productive in his first calendar year in Oxford.
Sheppard also described how he landed with the Rebels.

images

The NCAA dropped the Hammer on Ole Miss to teach UNC a lesson....

Or something like that...

Remember, Ole Miss is not one of the SEC blue Bloods, so if you were honest about how the NCAA works, you just knew they wouldn't hold back.

Reactions: LC-88
no doubt. It's no secret that I hate PSU but the kids who went there bought into the whole Paterno legacy, no names on the shirts, and the greater good of PSU mantra. That aint Ole Miss. These kids are gonna be like kids in a candy store who get to start their recruiting bidding war machines back up.
Shea Patterson just committed to Michigan. Pretty good get for Harbaugh. Maybe that will solve his qb problems.

Ole Miss...what a joke. Folks, this is exhibit A for how you do it the wrong way. They should have sent a few delegates to Chapel Hill to learn from the pros. It’s okay to pay $13k to a recruit so long as you give that opportunity to non athletes as well. And you don’t self-impose bowl bans and schollie restrictions. You say to the NCAA, “hold on, I’m too busy counting my money. Come apologize to us another day.”

No, no. Auburn taught us how to pay players. Just give someone close to the player, such as Cam Newton's father Cecil, $100,000.00 and have them steer the kid to you.

Reactions: rutger80
No, no. Auburn taught us how to pay players. Just give someone close to the player, such as Cam Newton's father Cecil, $100,000.00 and have them steer the kid to you.
To be fair, Auburn probably didn't invent the "pay the family not the player" method. That is the allegation of how a certain ACC basketball program in Durham has sustained their success.

Reactions: sherrane
To be fair, Auburn probably didn't invent the "pay the family not the player" method. That is the allegation of how a certain ACC basketball program in Durham has sustained their success.

True, but Auburn was a "catch and release" by the NCAA. It's one thing to get away with it because the NCAA is looking the other way. But you take it to a new level when you do it in plain sight and they agree you took advantage of a loophole they still haven't gotten around to closing yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT