ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pat Conroy RIP

RUinPinehurst

All American
Aug 27, 2011
The Bard of Beaufort has passed after a short "battle" with pancreatic cancer. He died at his SC home surrounded by family. He was 70.

'Prince of Tides' was a great book. The movie not so much. The Great Santini not as good a book, imo, but a better movie than Prince of Tides , imo. Coincidentally, my 19 year old son was in Beaufort SC 2 weeks ago to watch his buddies graduate from USMC Basic Training at Parris Island, him and his buddy stayed nearby at a hotel in Beaufort SC which is very close to Parris Island. He said the place was mix of nice homes, restaurants and trailer park trash , lol. Looks nice in pics though.

He captured the essence of coastal Carolina like he built the damned place . Read My Losing Season about his senior year playing point guard at the "Citadel in 1966 . Classic. They took Mark Breland a champion fighter and put him in the movie version of Lords of Discipline and he performed like the champ he was in the ring. If you have never read the authors of the American south then you have missed a lot.
. .

He captured the essence of coastal Carolina like he built the damned place . Read My Losing Season about his senior year playing point guard at the "Citadel in 1966 . Classic. They took Mark Breland a champion fighter and put him in the movie version of Lords of Discipline and he performed like the champ he was in the ring. If you have never read the authors of the American south then you have missed a lot.
. .

My personal favorite: Faulkner's "Absalom, Absalom!" Possibly the best American novel, ever.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT