ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RIP Steve Albini

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore

Great producer and a better man. RIP.

Albini made a name for himself helming Pixies’ 1988 debut full-length, Surfer Rosa, and The Breeders’ 1990 debut, POD. Kurt Cobain was so impressed with Albini’s work on both albums that he enlisted him to produce Nirvana’s 1993 LP, In Utero. That year, Albini also helmed PJ Harvey’s classic album Rid of Me.

Albini famously refused to take royalties from artists with whom he worked and preferred not to be listed in album credits. This philosophy toward recording was best outlined in a letter he sent to Nirvana as his conditions for working on In Utero together.

Produced several Cheap Trick albums, Robert Plant/Jimmy Page,

Reactions: RUinOhio and BossNJ
I have to admit, this guy was under the radar for me, but someone posted about it on my social media feed and now I see this. What an incredible history. Truly did it for the love and not greed in a business that’s infamous for the latter. Another reason why everyone should keep these types of posts coming.

I have to admit, this guy was under the radar for me, but someone posted about it on my social media feed and now I see this. What an incredible history. Truly did it for the love and not greed in a business that’s infamous for the latter. Another reason why everyone should keep these types of posts coming.
If for nothing else, there are a number of people on this board in their 50s and 60s. Get your cholesterol, triglycerides, and other blood markers checked regularly. Coronary artery calcium (CAC) scans are cheap- $50-100, which is a great way to see if you have calcified plaque in your arteries. Dying at his age is way too young and in most cases preventable.

Last edited:
If for nothing else, there are a number of people in their 50s and 60s. Get your cholesterol, triglycerides, and other blood markers checked regularly. Coronary artery calcium (CAC) scans are cheap- $50-100, which is a great way to see if you have calcified plaque in your arteries. Dying at his age is way too young and in most cases preventable.
Tell me about it. My dad died at 59 from a massive coronary. Hadn’t been to a doctor in five years although he knew better. I know genetics play a role but staying on top of things helps. Anyway, my point was really to share these items so you can learn about these people and maybe dive deeper into the areas where they excelled.

Reactions: Knight Shift
He was a great producer who was behind many great albums. Seemed like a good guy, too. In Utero is one of my all time favs. For that alone he gets a R.I.P from me.

Tell me about it. My dad died at 59 from a massive coronary. Hadn’t been to a doctor in five years although he knew better. I know genetics play a role but staying on top of things helps. Anyway, my point was really to share these items so you can learn about these people and maybe dive deeper into the areas where they excelled.
Wow, that's way too young, and sorry about your dad. Mine passed at 70, when I was just 31, before he got to see his first grandchild. Similar story. Most people do stay on top of these things nowadays (at least in my circle). Genetics plays some role, but diet and exercise are huge levers, as is medicine.

But back to Albini, never knew he was a poker guy. And to your point on him doing his work for the love of the music (and perhaps the artists who tend to get killed by greed by the industry), it's always nice to come across people who care about what they do and the job they do versus just making money.

Reactions: RUPete
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT