ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pete Rose has always been a creepy dude.

Sure he is scum. But the reason he is not in HOF is that he bet on baseball while he was a manager. He said he never bet against his team so he thinks that is a defense because he didn't throw a game like Shoeless Joe allegedly did. How many times do you think he let an ace reliever throw too many pitches because he had big money riding on the Reds that night? Or leave the starter in too long? Or play some body who perhaps was hurt and needed time off?
He does not deserve to be in HOF because of the betting. That is worse than other types of cheating (steroids, spitballs, corked bats, etc.) IMHO.
With this new revelation, I would think we will never have to see Rose again as a Fox commentator

Do you use the same logic for the NBA? Jordan and Barkley bet on NBA games. It is a fact. Barkley even was fined for betting on an NBA game. The NBA knew. One of Jordan's golfing/gambling buddies was the same guy that was taking bets from Rose.

Do you use the same logic for the NBA? Jordan and Barkley bet on NBA games. It is a fact. Barkley even was fined for betting on an NBA game. The NBA knew. One of Jordan's golfing/gambling buddies was the same guy that was taking bets from Rose.
Where are these so called facts that Jordon bet on basketball???

Pete Rose is a simple minded, uneducated jock that played every baseball game giving a 110% effort. He was making a living playing a kids game.

His private life was of no concern to him and thought others wouldn't care either.

He belongs in the HOF for his baseball playing accomplishments. Since when has any player made the HOF as a result his stellar personal life?

While all of this may be true, Rose is the one who signed away the right to ever be voted into the HOF.

Don't agree with the narrative Dale that Rose didn't go into hotel lounge bars or was a loner all his career...He was no different than many pro athletes all throughout history...Here is my take...
In the summer of 1971 , I was stationed at Ft. Sam Houston Texas , Brooke General Hospital doing my medic training...On the July 4th weekend ( 3rd through 6th ) the Cincinnati Reds were playing 4 games against the Houston Astros at the Astrodome and so , myself and 5 buddy's decided to make the 200 + mile journey to see some great baseball...N.A.S.A. and the beaches at Galveston / Corpus Christi...We booked 2 rooms at the Marriott across from the Astroland Amusement Park and Stadium...We arrived on July 2nd...we hit the bar around 5 pm and within a matter of of minutes the activity level increased...Here walked in some of our favorite players...Bench, Perez, Morgan , pitching phenom Don Gullet ( 20 years old ) and shortly thereafter the guy this thread is about Pete Rose...they were all having a good time and rightfully so but Pete was no wallflower during the time he was in the bar...later that evening there was more in and out of hotel rooms with women and yes players on the Reds...for us 21-23 year olds it was what seemed normal...didn't see Pete Rose but suspect he was RESTING up for Fridays game?...We were able to see 2 games and unfortunately did not see J.R. Richardson ...Pete Rose was a great baseball player but not the guy he perceives himself to be...
I've talked with dozens of players who played with him, he might of showed up in the hotel bar to check it out but he never went out with his teammates. The fact he did not drink or party automatically excludes you from the "running" with the boys…
that's just the way it was.
By the way, The Reds had a strong reputation as a non partying team, Bench, Perez, Morgan, Griffey rarely drank and Foster also never drank alcohol.
I'm surprised you say the Reds were staying at a Marriott in Houston, all the teams stayed at the Shamrock Hilton in those days.

Last edited:
The obsession people have with the baseball HOF is unbelievable. It's a museum.

Whatever you do in life, do they have anything that immortalizes you? THAT is the obsession, my friend. I don't understand your comment at all.

I don't believe anyone in commissioners office knew Rose was committing statutory rape or betting on baseball. When the gambling was discovered he was banned
If they heard a rumor you can bet ( like with amphetamines and steroids) MLB wouldn't investigate it and only do anything when it became clear it would hurt revenue.
But since I really don't know if that was true under Bowie Kuhn, I might be mistakenly putting him in the same classification I have for Bud Selig and MLB would have kicked Rose out of the game.

I do not follow NBA and know no details of Barkley and Jordan allegations. I know that Jordan liked gambling on golf and many other things. Did he gamble on games that he was playing in? Did barkley? If so, they should have been punished and I guess Barkley was fined.

All I know is that Rose was caught and eventually admitted to gambling on games in which he was managing. IMO, that alone warrants HOF ban and ban from ever working in MLB again. Other criminal behavior, though reprehensible, does not mean you are banned from the HOF. Fact that Cobb was a rascist bastard does not keep him out of Hall.

I don't believe anyone in commissioners office knew Rose was committing statutory rape or betting on baseball. When the gambling was discovered he was banned

You guys do realize that he was not banned when the gambling was discovered. He was banned when baseball agreed to stop investigating and he agreed to a lifetime ban so that they would stop the investigation.

I loved to watch this guy play ball. He gave hope to every damn kid that was just average that you believed if you played harder than everyone else, you had a chance. This dude was so dirty and disgusting and criminal that agreeing to a lifetime ban was better than MLB investigating him further. HE agreed to it. I bet HE offered it. Dirty disgusting human but one hell of a baseball player. He made his bed, let him live with it. Maybe with all his bitcing, they can start looking at everything else beside betting on games

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
I've talked with dozens of players who played with him, he might of showed up in the hotel bar to check it out but he never went out with his teammates. The fact he did not drink or party automatically excludes you from the "running" with the boys…
that's just the way it was.
By the way, The Reds had a strong reputation as a non partying team, Bench, Perez, Morgan, Griffey rarely drank and Foster also never drank alcohol.
I'm surprised you say the Reds were staying at a Marriott in Houston, all the teams stayed at the Shamrock Hilton in those days.
They may have all been tea totalers but from my vantage point that day there were at least glasses with liquid in front of them...it would not be unreasonable to assume players would go to another hotel bar or restaurant to avoid any conflicts at whatever was the teams hotel...I 'm not making accusations but Pete Rose was not this saint by many accounts...I'm also of the belief that a drink or two the day before a game is acceptable even for pro baseball players... George Foster was not there...It is hard to believe by past history that these particular athletes did not drink... just seems strange especially for that era...Gullet was a 20 year old ...Rose was what 30 ?...Bench was only 24..Morgan around 27...Perez was about the same age as Rose...they were our ages for the most part...great series in a time when people still loved Rose...My fondest memory was the "Toy Cannon", Jimmy Wynn , hitting a game winning homer...sorry Dale but they were at the Marriott that evening.

Please RUBOB, obviously Pete was anything but a saint.
Just because he didn't drink or party doesn't mean he was a good person.
Outside of Foster who abstained, I did not say the others were tea toatlers, as I said…Bench, Morgan. Perez and Griffey were very light drinkers.

Hey, my dad would go out to dinner with Mickey, Billy and Whitey, have a few drinks and say see ya, those guys were just getting started.

Don't forget that the scumbag ruined Ray Fosse's career in that all-star game

That's the way you play the game.It's a shame Fosse got hurt but that wasn't Pete's intent. Fosse was blocking the plate and it was within the rules up until a year or two ago. Compare to these ballplayers today. I was watching a game a week or two back. Think it was the Brewers. Guy hits a popup. Looks foul but the catcher misjudges it and it lands in fair territory. He's still standing at HP ! Pete would have been head diving into 2nd base. I loved Pete, the ballplayer.

Had an idea for Pierre Rose. Was going to be a man's man rose wine. Had all kinds of great slogans to go with it. His lawyer liked the idea but couldn't get over the fact that it didn't bear his name. It did kinda...

Pierre Rosé. Because f#%k the Reds.
Pierre Rosé. The Indians can't afford it.
Pierre Rosé. I’ll bet you'll love it.
Pierre Rosé. Buy the first glass, steal the second.
Forget a Schott. Have a Pierre Rosé.
Pierre Rosé. Drink it by the bowl my barber used.
Pierre Rosé. It belongs in your Hall.
Pierre Rosé: No GMOs or PEDs
Pierre Rosé. It’ll get Wade Boggs drunk
Pierre Rosé. America's newest pasttime
Pierre Rosé. She'll let you get to second base
Pierre Rosé: We don't need a cork
Pierre Rosé. The swinger's choice
Pierre Rosé. Because gambling is a shitty vice.
Pierre Rosé. Buckner calls it a "can't miss."

I'm still gonna do it without his blessing. Just thought of a new one...

Pierre Rose: It's legal for 14 year olds in some countries.

You guys do realize that he was not banned when the gambling was discovered. He was banned when baseball agreed to stop investigating and he agreed to a lifetime ban so that they would stop the investigation.

I loved to watch this guy play ball. He gave hope to every damn kid that was just average that you believed if you played harder than everyone else, you had a chance. This dude was so dirty and disgusting and criminal that agreeing to a lifetime ban was better than MLB investigating him further. HE agreed to it. I bet HE offered it. Dirty disgusting human but one hell of a baseball player. He made his bed, let him live with it. Maybe with all his bitcing, they can start looking at everything else beside betting on games

Totally agree with you. It is amazing how many people simply do not know or choose to ignore the fact the he is not being banned from the HOF against his will. He cut a deal with MLB. They agreed to stop the investigation and to not release any of the evidence against him and he agreed to a ban from the hall. If he wants to be allowed in the Hall he must agree to let MLB release all the evidence against. Something, by the way, he clearly does not want to happen.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT