ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Peter Green - dead

Left Fleetwood Mac due to drug issues in '71

A lot of people aren't aware how good they were pre-Buckingham/Nick.

Also an alum of one of two of the most influential groups often overlooked in British rock:

Yardbirds and Mayall's Blues Breakers The alumni list from those two bands is amazing.

He battled mental illness and was into spirituality and the occult. Lots of strange stories about him.

Fleetwood Mac co-founder Peter Green has died. He was 73.

According to a family statement released on Saturday, the English singer-guitarist died in his sleep.

"It is with great sadness that the family of Peter Green announce his death this weekend, peacefully in his sleep," the statement reads.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/fleetwood-mac-co-founder-peter-green-dead

RIP Peter.

Funny, I just found out 2 days ago that Peter Green was still alive!~ I thought he had passed years ago.

With Black Magic Woman (made famous by Santana) and Oh Well ...plus many other ditties, Green was an accomplished musician / will be missed.

MO

Reactions: lne001
I only listened to them now. They were pretty good. Real guitar band. Les Pauls to boot. They do have that Hendrixian junky vibe though

Most folks remember Fleetwood Mac as Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham joining John & Christine McVie and Mick Fleetwood in 1974. But seven years earlier, it was Peter Green along with Fleetwood and John McVie who were there at the start. In fact, Peter Green gave the band its name honoring Mick Fleetwood and John "Mac" McVie.

https://apnews.com/4d0f163fa8fdbfe5627830912bfc99af

Peter Green, writer and original performer of "Black Magic Woman"

"Oh, Well"

Last edited:
When green left, Mick Fleetwood offered only
Lindsey Buckingham a job. Lindsey refused
And said Stevie Nick's has to be part of the deal,so
Mick gave in.

When green left, Mick Fleetwood offered only
Lindsey Buckingham a job. Lindsey refused
And said Stevie Nick's has to be part of the deal,so
Mick gave in.

You're right about Buckinham demanding Nicks be included, but that happened in1974, years after Green left.

You're right about Buckinham demanding Nicks be included, but that happened in1974, years after Green left.
Yep. There was a period where Bob Welch was brought in to replace Greenie.

yes, the Bare Trees record with Welch makes a nice transition to the Buckingham Nicks era. It is the only Fleetwood Mac record I own.
Blues Jam at Chess is one of my favorites. Peter Green and Danny Kirwan were awesome guitarists.
Also, a lot of good stuff from the Buckingham-Nicks incarnation of the group.

He also wrote "The Green Manalishi" but the Judas Priest cover is better IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT