Votes: 11 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jmc11201

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 16, 2005
Boston
Following up on the housing thread, I can't help but wonder who is paying up for all these houses and whether people can afford them or not. I know economy level financial data says that 'the consumer' is a strong as its ever been with a strong job market and stimulus cash, but curious to know how it breaks down for people.

Without sharing anything specific, I'd be interested to know how people are doing and why (string investment returns, string wage growth, stimulus cash, etc.)

Reactions: Knight Shift
Slow and steady.
Huge gains in the real estate we own, but that is not liquid, and kind of illusory. I don't regularly check 401K/retirement savings accounts, but I am told they are about even or slightly up from about a year ago. I rely on dollar cost averaging through the monthly contributions, and over about 30 years, that has served us well. Could retire whenever I'm ready, but I still mostly enjoy work, and looking forward to getting back to a normal flow in the office, and hopefully business travel to see clients if they ever decide to go back to their offices.

Bought a house 3 years ago. Almost paid off. Portfolio has taken a small hit the last couple of months, but otherwise doing well.

Typically saving 30-40% of my take home pay, despite accelerating mortgage payoff.

Retired at 57 and could make 2X what I was making when I retired, by consulting, but not interested. I worked very hard for a very long time and that was enough for me and we have more than enough to live comfortably for a long time barring Armageddon. Am very much enjoying retirement.

A year from retirement been invested in a 401 K for more than 30 years . The last 4 years i have had Fidelity manage my portfolio. Wish I had done it sooner.

I'm going to change my mix of stock to bonds been thinking about that for a while now....

I'll chime in since I started the thread.

I checked 'Best It's Ever Been' as I'm in prime earning years and have seen appreciation in my investment portfolio and home (currently for sale, so we shall see). I've always tried to live fairly conservatively which is paying off at this point in my life and have been moving equity investments into fixed income as rates have moved higher. I think the Fed is going to try and really suck the air out of the economy to get inflation down, which will likely lead my fixed income investments to lose a little and stocks to lose a lot. I want to be prepared for that potential outcome, with my one fear being how much money is still sloshing around the economy (which the poll thus far does not dispel).

Reactions: Mike from MD

I checked 'Best It's Ever Been' as I'm in prime earning years and have seen appreciation in my investment portfolio and home (currently for sale, so we shall see). I've always tried to live fairly conservatively which is paying off at this point in my life and have been moving equity investments into fixed income as rates have moved higher. I think the Fed is going to try and really suck the air out of the economy to get inflation down, which will likely lead my fixed income investments to lose a little and stocks to lose a lot. I want to be prepared for that potential outcome, with my one fear being how much money is still sloshing around the economy (which the poll thus far does not dispel).
Living fairly conservatively and well within one's means is key, especially early in life. We drove used beater cars for the first several years out of college and lived in modest homes. We still live in a modest home. No need to make a splash so big that you will drown in debt forever. Have lived debt free most of our lives.

For people at your stage of your work careers, it wouldn't be the worst thing if the equity markets had a correction. It's healthy and perfectly normal, the business cycle has not gone away. Stay the course, remain conservative, continue on your career path, and invest for your eventual retirement so that it will be on your terms.

Reactions: redking
Retired at 57 and could make 2X what I was making when I retired, by consulting, but not interested. I worked very hard for a very long time and that was enough for me and we have more than enough to live comfortably for a long time barring Armageddon. Am very much enjoying retirement.
@RU848789 , if you are willing to share, what percentage of your pre-retirement income are you living off of now? I am also considering retiring early (once our youngest finishes at Rutgers) and living off the interest from our investments that should leave us very comfortable but would only be 50-60% of our current annual income. Have you found yourself significantly making changes to your lifestyle? Has anything surprised you financially so far?

@RU848789 , if you are willing to share, what percentage of your pre-retirement income are you living off of now? I am also considering retiring early (once our youngest finishes at Rutgers) and living off the interest from our investments that should leave us very comfortable but would only be 50-60% of our current annual income. Have you found yourself significantly making changes to your lifestyle? Has anything surprised you financially so far?
The key isn't a percentage of what you were making, but how much your lifestyle costs you. What I struggle with identifying is how does my cost of living change after I retire than before, how much risk should I have in my investments, and how much financial cushion do I need before I can take the leap.

For example, if I knew that I would spend $100k per year in retirement in perpetuity, then it becomes a pretty simple math problem...save $2.0 million and earn 5% on it, and you get your $100k without touching principal. But obviously it isn't that straight-forward...there are taxes, lifestyle creep, inflation, investment risks, healthcare costs, bad investment markets/returns, financial emergencies, etc. So what I would be interested in knowing is how much more did you save beyond what you thought you needed (15% more, 50% more, etc) and how has the reality matched your expectations?

Reactions: m1ipabrams
Bought a house 3 years ago. Almost paid off. Portfolio has taken a small hit the last couple of months, but otherwise doing well.

Typically saving 30-40% of my take home pay, despite accelerating mortgage payoff.
Living below your means is the key for financial success. Saving as much as possible and minimizing monthly bills should be the objective for everyone. Our goal for the past few years has been to save 50% of our net pay (which is on top of fully maxed retirement contributions). We reached this goal last summer via my latest promotion.

Most people having spending issues, not earning issues.

For people at your stage of your work careers, it wouldn't be the worst thing if the equity markets had a correction. It's healthy and perfectly normal, the business cycle has not gone away. Stay the course, remain conservative, continue on your career path, and invest for your eventual retirement so that it will be on your terms.
Market corrections are beautiful opportunities to invest more and take advantage of lower prices.

Reactions: redking and AntiG
My wife and I have been doing the same:
  • Cost average buying of blue-chip stocks that pay nice dividends
  • Maintaining IRAs
  • Maxing 401Ks including catch up contributions
  • Having no debt as we near retirement
We have been buy I-Bonds lately.

The amazing part is that we never felt like we had to scrape to get where we are today financially. Slow and steady has been good for us.

Over 77% are doing well according to the survey. Is this a reflection of graduating from Rutgers or having a college degree?
Good question. Not everyone here went to Rutgers, but this poll probably gets seen be a somewhat skewed audience relative to the broad population. But i saw a chart the other day that showed, in aggregate, that US Households were in a net cash position for the first time in like 30 years and that household finances got significantly better during COVID due to all the stimulus thrown into the economy.

Reactions: ecojew
The key isn't a percentage of what you were making, but how much your lifestyle costs you. What I struggle with identifying is how does my cost of living change after I retire than before, how much risk should I have in my investments, and how much financial cushion do I need before I can take the leap.

For example, if I knew that I would spend $100k per year in retirement in perpetuity, then it becomes a pretty simple math problem...save $2.0 million and earn 5% on it, and you get your $100k without touching principal. But obviously it isn't that straight-forward...there are taxes, lifestyle creep, inflation, investment risks, healthcare costs, bad investment markets/returns, financial emergencies, etc. So what I would be interested in knowing is how much more did you save beyond what you thought you needed (15% more, 50% more, etc) and how has the reality matched your expectations?
Thanks for the reply @jmc11201 . I am less concerned about the actual amounts- if we cannot make it on what we are planning to have in retirement we are doing something wrong.

I am more interested in the change in mindset- right now I do not keep a tight budget (I have a rough idea of what comes in/out) but that is because we keep a big buffer and we live conservatively. However, I anticipate that I will start pinching every penny (whether I truly need to or not) b/c I will not have the comfort of my current income. I am curious to hear what other early retirees have experienced.

Retired at 55, long time ago - state pension still keeping me ok, but inflation could eventually hurt especially with the col increases being suspended since Chris Christie

Thanks for the reply @jmc11201 . I am less concerned about the actual amounts- if we cannot make it on what we are planning to have in retirement we are doing something wrong.

I am more interested in the change in mindset- right now I do not keep a tight budget (I have a rough idea of what comes in/out) but that is because we keep a big buffer and we live conservatively. However, I anticipate that I will start pinching every penny (whether I truly need to or not) b/c I will not have the comfort of my current income. I am curious to hear what other early retirees have experienced.
I recall my Dad saying the hardest thing moving into retirement was going from someone who focused on saving the bulk of his life to spending...so the change in mindset was the hardest thing.

Personally, I think having no debt when I retire would be the most important thing. If money becomes an issue, it is one thing to travel less, or eat out less, or buy new clothes less frequently...but if you still have a large monthly housing payment, that would amp up the pressure.

My wife and I have been doing the same:
  • Cost average buying of blue-chip stocks that pay nice dividends
  • Maintaining IRAs
  • Maxing 401Ks including catch up contributions
  • Having no debt as we near retirement
We have been buy I-Bonds lately.

The amazing part is that we never felt like we had to scrape to get where we are today financially. Slow and steady has been good for us.
I am not a fan of getting older, but I am looking forward to those catch-up contribution for 401ks and IRAs. Got several more years to go! :)

Reactions: patk89
Over 77% are doing well according to the survey. Is this a reflection of graduating from Rutgers or having a college degree?

It's funny if you look at surveys...people say their personal finances are great, they're making the most they ever did, but that also the economy is bad, lol.

It's one of those things, don't believe your eyes and ears when every restaurant, bar, plane, concert, etc in the country is packed full, but do believe when you're told that meat companies with 300% profit margins are suffering.

Good question. Not everyone here went to Rutgers, but this poll probably gets seen be a somewhat skewed audience relative to the broad population. But i saw a chart the other day that showed, in aggregate, that US Households were in a net cash position for the first time in like 30 years and that household finances got significantly better during COVID due to all the stimulus thrown into the economy.

I would say since the start of last year, at least 2/3 if not 3/4 of the people I know got a significant raise either by securing a new job, getting promoted or leveraging an offer.

In my travels I haven't found one bar, restaurant, hotel, airplane, etc that isn't entirely full. Including abroad and loaded with Americans.

But it's rare to see this get reported on. Instead it's milk prices are high or something else.

I would say since the start of last year, at least 2/3 if not 3/4 of the people I know got a significant raise either by securing a new job, getting promoted or leveraging an offer.

In my travels I haven't found one bar, restaurant, hotel, airplane, etc that isn't entirely full. Including abroad and loaded with Americans.

But it's rare to see this get reported on. Instead it's milk prices are high or something else.
I'm traveling again as well and yes, all public places and planes are full. But are full planes due to less flights being scheduled and how much of that travel is business related/paid for by employers? Not many people are jetting off to Europe for vacation just yet. River cruises are taking bookings despite despite Omicron BA.2 is still prevalent there.

Threads like this make me paranoid that I'm not doing enough. I'm in my early 40s and have 3 kids (oldest is 10 yrs old)
-I own my house and it has doubled in value (at least) since I bought it, due to major renovations and being in a hot town. I have about 30% equity in it.
-I'm nearly 20 years with the same company, contributing to 401k for the entire time, fully vested, pension (before they did away with it). Majority of the time have been contributing about 6%.
-I don't hate my job, but I also don't love it. I've accepted that it pays well enough for me and the family to live our lives, so I'm sticking with it. I've also always had the philosophy of staying with a good situation rather than chase the next payday.
-I'm the primary breadwinner for the fam, wife is just now slowly going back into work as the kids get older.
-I've dabbled very very conservatively in stocks on my own, opening an index fund to which I contribute monthly. I had to take from it last year, however, to help pay down some credits cards following home renovations.
-No student loans for me or my wife.
-No real credit card debt or other loans other than my mortgage. We lease two cars.

We live conservatively, no island vacations, fun cars, fancy dinners, but spend enough to keep the cars new, the house looking nice (it's a pride thing, more than anything), and keeping the kids in activities (sports, art classes, camps, scouts), plus having 3 boys there's clothes, sneakers and an astronomical food bill.

I could do a little more to cut costs here and there (ie, look for more sales at the grocery store, haggle on cell prices, etc), but am also generally so strapped for time always that the juice doesn't always seem worth the squeeze.

I'm also not saving or investing a whole lot on my own. No 529s. A while back I worked with a financial planner, but he spent more time trying to get me up speed on the software than giving me strategies to handle my money.

Am I screwed?

Reactions: NickRU714
Threads like this make me paranoid that I'm not doing enough. I'm in my early 40s and have 3 kids (oldest is 10 yrs old)
-I own my house and it has doubled in value (at least) since I bought it, due to major renovations and being in a hot town. I have about 30% equity in it.
-I'm nearly 20 years with the same company, contributing to 401k for the entire time, fully vested, pension (before they did away with it). Majority of the time have been contributing about 6%.
-I don't hate my job, but I also don't love it. I've accepted that it pays well enough for me and the family to live our lives, so I'm sticking with it. I've also always had the philosophy of staying with a good situation rather than chase the next payday.
-I'm the primary breadwinner for the fam, wife is just now slowly going back into work as the kids get older.
-I've dabbled very very conservatively in stocks on my own, opening an index fund to which I contribute monthly. I had to take from it last year, however, to help pay down some credits cards following home renovations.
-No real credit card debt or other loans other than my mortgage. We lease two cars.

We live conservatively, no island vacations, fun cars, fancy dinners, but spend enough to keep the cars new, the house looking nice (it's a pride thing, more than anything), and keeping the kids in activities (sports, art classes, camps, scouts), plus having 3 boys there's clothes, sneakers and an astronomical food bill.

I could do a little more to cut costs here and there (ie, look for more sales at the grocery store, haggle on cell prices, etc), but am also generally so strapped for time always that the juice doesn't always seem worth the squeeze.

I'm also not saving or investing a whole lot on my own. No 529s. A while back I worked with a financial planner, but he spent more time trying to get me up speed on the software than giving me strategies to handle my money.

Am I screwed?
It's all based on vantage point. To the vast majority of America, and to about 99% of the world's population, you are living the absolute AMERICAN DREAM broseph.

Now, to some on this site (you're talking about the .5%ers), your a pauper.

From my vantage, you're doing great.

I'm traveling again as well and yes, all public places and planes are full. But are full planes due to less flights being scheduled and how much of that travel is business related/paid for by employers? Not many people are jetting off to Europe for vacation just yet. River cruises are taking bookings despite despite Omicron BA.2 is still prevalent there.
I haven't flown for a business trip in well over 2 years. Even before COVID, pharma was going virtual (Teams and Zoom) for many internal meetings. Many KOL ad boards and MR are virtual now. As for conferences, I've been to a few recently, but all have been within driving distance.

Am I screwed?
It sounds like you are doing fine. Having some pension is definitely a plus. I think some of the posters are in the fifties and sixties and are more secure in their finances.

Another point for retirement is that most review only consider your income or earnings from your assets and don’t consider reduction of your assets over your retirement years. Yes, it would be great to give your kids a larger inheritance without touching your assets. Other things that aren’t considered is social security, change in lifestyle and inheritance from your parents.

Due to health consideration, I definitely cut down on eating out and eat more at home due to healthy lifestyle. I wasn’t aware of my parent financial situation until later in life but they had saved a considerable amount for the kids. I would assume many learned their financial habits from their parents so they were financially conservative.

Correct. Also, failure to realize that this poll is totally skewed to office workers who sit on their butts all day and have the luxury of wasting time on message boards and other social media. The large majority of workers in this country do not have college educations, and they are generally not online during the course of the day. I know plenty of people who are struggling with the increase in prices of nearly everything, especially gas/fuel. But the office workers or doing great, so let's scoff at anyone who makes a peep about people hurting right now.

My personal take on retirement. For me to live out the rest of my life without worries is to have dept paid off, home paid off and 2.5 mil or more in liquid funds and investment.
Looking to purchase my final home soon so will need to have it paid off in 5-6 years. Other than that, pretty close to moving on to happy times.

The crappy thing is- I had planned on being retired at 50 y/o. then 2008 happened just before I was about to hang it up...besides the crash, the owner of my company made some bad decisions just as I was hitting 7 figures yearly. Try to help him recover for 2 years but went to $0 earnings and had to move on and start over.

• Wow

Am I screwed?
I have to be honest, having a pension is holding you back. You are stuck at your current company. Bloomberg did a big analysis a while back and determined that you need to jump 3-4 times in your career to maximize earnings. The 2 biggest growth years in my career were one internal promotion (to team lead) and then one external move that really put my career on a new plateau (in terms of responsibility and comp).

Look, staying at one company has pros and cons. You just gotta determine what is most important you and your family and then be comfortable with the decision.

My personal take on retirement. For me to live out the rest of my life without worries is to have dept paid off, home paid off and 2.5 mil or more in liquid funds and investment.
Looking to purchase my final home soon so will need to have it paid off in 5-6 years. Other than that, pretty close to moving on to happy times.

The crappy thing is- I had planned on being retired at 50 y/o. then 2008 happened just before I was about to hang it up...besides the crash, the owner of my company made some bad decisions just as I was hitting 7 figures yearly. Try to help him recover for 2 years but went to $0 earnings and had to move on and start over.
when i was coming out of college, my plan was to be retired by 35. oops.

It sounds like you are doing fine. Having some pension is definitely a plus. I think some of the posters are in the fifties and sixties and are more secure in their finances.

Another point for retirement is that most review only consider your income or earnings from your assets and don’t consider reduction of your assets over your retirement years. Yes, it would be great to give your kids a larger inheritance without touching your assets. Other things that aren’t considered is social security, change in lifestyle and inheritance from your parents.

Due to health consideration, I definitely cut down on eating out and eat more at home due to healthy lifestyle. I wasn’t aware of my parent financial situation until later in life but they had saved a considerable amount for the kids. I would assume many learned their financial habits from their parents so they were financially conservative.
You bring up a good point. My parents are old school, my grandparents even more so. They are/were blue collar, start from nothing, but they worked hard, got paid overtime, saved saved saved with the goal of leaving it all to their kids (and grandkids). After raising their kids, giving the next generation financial peace of mind after they're gone was their #1 priority.

Last edited:

Am I screwed?
I think you are doing fine.

One way to try and measure things are in a multiple of what you think you will spend per year in retirement. If your house is paid off at that point and you can control your costs, you should be in pretty good shape. I'd like to have 20x what I think I would spend annually saved by the time I retire (i.e. in liquid assets)....so if my cost of living is $50k, I'd probably want to have a million dollars. $100k = $2.0mm, $250k = $5.0mm, etc. I think of social security as a buffer on top of that.

I'm around your age and what I found is that if you can grow your earnings faster than your lifestyle, you can save incrementally more without feeling like you are 'dieting'...but also agree that you should live your life a bit, enjoy your children and their activities, and don't over-save to the point that you miss out on life. I always skew my spending towards things that are one-off in nature (travel and dining) vs things that will cost me month after month (we own one car, don't have a 2nd house, etc.). What I've also found is that saving earlier in my career does start to pay off and creates it's own financial momentum which has allowed me to be a little less uptight about saving as I've gotten older (although I'm still uptight...ask my wife).

You bring up a good point. My parents are old school, my grandparents even more so. They were all/were blue collar, start from nothing, but they worked hard, got paid overtime, saved saved saved with the goal of leaving it all to their kids (and grandkids). After raising their kids, giving the next generation financial peace of mind after they're gone was their #1 priority.
Their great grand kids will be in the 1%. Hopefully, it’s only a safety net and they can have a successful career on their own. My parents didn’t have a college education but they seem to always make the right financial decisions even though they weren’t into stocks until later in life. I told my father he was always lucky.

Last edited:
when i was coming out of college, my plan was to be retired by 35. oops.
My problem was that I was at my retirement goal at 44 and was looking to add to it. Just had a 2nd huge year and my contracts each still had 2-5 years remaining so income should have only gotten better. Fully expected 8 figures by 50. 2006- my boss gets stung for gambling and since his bookie was also a sub contractor- they hit him for both promoting gambling and laundering. Our business was 100% legit. But as soon as our company got named, we went from 120 mil per year to 3 the next. I lost all of my contracts. I had also just started another company in a completely different space with approval of my then boss and all of a sudden, it became a drain on my finances then 08 hit..,
Good news is…I am very good at what I do. Back to my target but now going to retire around 65 instead of 50.

Reactions: Mike from MD
My problem was that I was at my retirement goal at 44 and was looking to add to it. Just had a 2nd huge year and my contracts each still had 2-5 years remaining so income should have only gotten better. Fully expected 8 figures by 50. 2006- my boss gets stung for gambling and since his bookie was also a sub contractor- they hit him for both promoting gambling and laundering. Our business was 100% legit. But as soon as our company got named, we went from 120 mil per year to 3 the next. I lost all of my contracts. I had also just started another company in a completely different space with approval of my then boss and all of a sudden, it became a drain on my finances then 08 hit..,
Good news is…I am very good at what I do. Back to my target but now going to retire around 65 instead of 50.
Ouch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT