ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Princeton gets a 4 Star QB commit

Looks like the parents are going to need a plane for a few years. Probably will do well at PU. Crazy list of schools too. Wonder if Boise St. had a chance ?
I may well have seen the last Penn/Princeton game ,in which,they Both played out of the single wing.Franklin Field a long time ago.

Eff Princeton - never liked the place. Did not like my tour or my snooty host when I was looking at colleges. Some thought I was nuts, but I chose RU over Princeton (and MIT/Cornell), as I absolutely loved my visit (which did include a boli, @FELONIOUSMONK), had a free ride to RU, and would've still owed some money at Princeton.

Certainly wasn't a mistake for a chem engineer in pharma, as the RU grads have done better here than the PU grads (our senior staff of 8 is half from RU, including yours truly and my boss, our department head, and has nobody from Princeton on it). So, again, eff Princeton, lol (truth be told, my father in law lives next door in Rocky Hill, so we do enjoy going out in Princeton occasionally).

a few other IVY guys who did OK
Jason Garrett - began at Princeton - then Columbia - now has some managerial position with the Cowboys
John Dockery - Harvard - Super Bowl III winning - NY Jets -
Dick Kazmaier - Princeton - 1951 Heisman Trophy winner

I may well have seen the last Penn/Princeton game ,in which,they Both played out of the single wing.Franklin Field a long time ago.
Do you remember the 1955 ND - Penn game and Frank Riepl's 108 yd KO return for Penn ? I can still picture the split screen sequence on the back page of the NY Daily News.
If you Google " Frank Riepl U of Penn football, there is a video library showing some long TD plays from Penn. 1950-1959.

Played freshman ball at Princeton in 1968. Last year of single-wing football at Princeton. I played the center of the offensive line, but didn't snap the ball as the formation was always heavy in one direction or the other. Our tailback (who took the snap shotgun style) was Hank Bjorklund, who went on to play for the Jets. Hank was the easiest guy in the world to block for as he was lightning quick and powerful as well. Mostly you just had to influence your guy out of the way. Gave up football after my freshman year as I got my bell rung a couple times and thought it might be a good idea to focus on other things.

Played agains Dick Jauron (Bears coach - played at Yale) and Ed Marinaro (Hill Street Blues). Marinaro was great. Calvin Hill was playing for Yale on the varsity back then, and Tommy Lee Jones played for Harvard. We had Geoff Petrie, John Hummer, and Brian Taylor playing basketball for us at the time.

Queen Noor was two years behind me at Princeton, and my class included Sam Alito (whom I didn't know) and Andy Napolitano (whom I was friends with -- actually a really nice guy and very sincere). Steve Forbes was there, too. Interesting time to be at Princeton.

Princeton is super good at building loyalty from day one. To this day I get a glossy Princeton Alumni Weekly magazine, and get solicited for fund-raising continually.

About 60% of Princeton kids get aid and the average amount is $48,000 of the $63,000 it costs to go there.

Reactions: RUboston
Played freshman ball at Princeton in 1968. Last year of single-wing football at Princeton. I played the center of the offensive line, but didn't snap the ball as the formation was always heavy in one direction or the other. Our tailback (who took the snap shotgun style) was Hank Bjorklund, who went on to play for the Jets. Hank was the easiest guy in the world to block for as he was lightning quick and powerful as well. Mostly you just had to influence your guy out of the way. Gave up football after my freshman year as I got my bell rung a couple times and thought it might be a good idea to focus on other things.

Played agains Dick Jauron (Bears coach - played at Yale) and Ed Marinaro (Hill Street Blues). Marinaro was great. Calvin Hill was playing for Yale on the varsity back then, and Tommy Lee Jones played for Harvard. We had Geoff Petrie, John Hummer, and Brian Taylor playing basketball for us at the time.

Queen Noor was two years behind me at Princeton, and my class included Sam Alito (whom I didn't know) and Andy Napolitano (whom I was friends with -- actually a really nice guy and very sincere). Steve Forbes was there, too. Interesting time to be at Princeton.

Princeton is super good at building loyalty from day one. To this day I get a glossy Princeton Alumni Weekly magazine, and get solicited for fund-raising continually.

About 60% of Princeton kids get aid and the average amount is $48,000 of the $63,000 it costs to go there.

... sounds like that may have also overlapped the time of Former Governor of Indiana Mitch Daniels - and his 'scholarly' endeavor of organizing what could be titled "Entrepreneurial Exploration of Direct to Consumer Distribution of Recreational Pharmaceuticals" ?

Eff Princeton - never liked the place. Did not like my tour or my snooty host when I was looking at colleges. Some thought I was nuts, but I chose RU over Princeton (and MIT/Cornell), as I absolutely loved my visit (which did include a boli, @FELONIOUSMONK), had a free ride to RU, and would've still owed some money at Princeton.

Certainly wasn't a mistake for a chem engineer in pharma, as the RU grads have done better here than the PU grads (our senior staff of 8 is half from RU, including yours truly and my boss, our department head, and has nobody from Princeton on it). So, again, eff Princeton, lol (truth be told, my father in law lives next door in Rocky Hill, so we do enjoy going out in Princeton occasionally).

I do enjoy when 848789 (appropriately) flexes on all the "experts" when this topic comes up.

In my recent experience, I know 3 kids who took the honors scholarship to RU (2) and another big state school over more prestigious schools. Those kind of people tend to succeed regardless. One has a real Wall Street analyst job (not some ops position), one is going to grad school at Penn and one has a great job in tech.

For any middle class folks (including upper middle) the free ride to Rutgers is the smart choice....Urban legend about free rides to Princeton for families with $200k of income notwithstanding.

The reality is that you only get the free academic ride if you go to a school that is NOT the "best school" you can get into. And schools are not tripping over themselves to give needs based scholarships to people with upper middle class incomes.

As for the athletic money, I'm not buying it.

Nice memories for you. You were there at a great time, almost made it for the 100th Anniversary game. I remember Hank, was always wondering why guys would want to tackle him. You were just a little late for Charlie Gogolak and Brian Dowling (Yale), but still went against some great players.
Funny story. My wife and I worked for a Fortune 100 Company for 53 years combined. Lost our jobs via a takeover in '95. My wife eventually went to work for Russ Berrie and Company in 2001. She worked as an executive Secretary to the CFO. One month in the CFO was fired and my wife went to work for Russ Berrie' s wife, Angelica. She was in charge of special events, etc.
My wife's first assignment was to make sure Queen Noir' s charity visit at The Plaza ( NYC) went smoothly. Angelina had ties to Gilda' s Club and had invited the Queen. Turned out OK, but stressful at the time. Just another brush with royalty.

Reactions: SkilletHead2
Nice memories for you. You were there at a great time, almost made it for the 100th Anniversary game. I remember Hank, was always wondering why guys would want to tackle him. You were just a little late for Charlie Gogolak and Brian Dowling (Yale), but still went against some great players.
Funny story. My wife and I worked for a Fortune 100 Company for 53 years combined. Lost our jobs via a takeover in '95. My wife eventually went to work for Russ Berrie and Company in 2001. She worked as an executive Secretary to the CFO. One month in the CFO was fired and my wife went to work for Russ Berrie' s wife, Angelica. She was in charge of special events, etc.
My wife's first assignment was to make sure Queen Noir' s charity visit at The Plaza ( NYC) went smoothly. Angelina had ties to Gilda' s Club and had invited the Queen. Turned out OK, but stressful at the time. Just another brush with royalty.
Great story!

Actually, Dowling played in The Game my freshman year when Harvard came back from down 29-13 with 42 seconds left to tie the game. They scored, got the two point conversion, recovered the onside kick, and then their third string QB, Frank Champi hit another TD. The radio announcer says, "Whaddya think, Ed? Go for two points and the tie, or one point and the sure loss?" Champi hits another receiver and the game ends 29-29. The headline in the Harvard Crimson the next day was, "Harvard WINS 29-29"

Brian Dowling (who, btw, is "BD" in Doonesbury) and Calvin Hill were playing for Yale and Tommie Lee Jones for Harvard. Incredible game.

Reactions: RUsince52
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT