ADVERTISEMENT

OT: PSA: FINALLY It's a Go!! Christmas Morning at 7:20 AM the James Webb Space Telescope Is Set To Launch After a Decade of Delays

Distance-wise, yes, time-wise, no. It's speed has slowed considerably, from around 7 miles/second shortly after launch to 1.3 miles.second as of the time of this post. It's gonna take a month to get to L2.

Here's a link to get ongoing distance and speed info: NASA LINK

Hey Double Ra are you going to this bowl game?

Distance-wise, yes, time-wise, no. It's speed has slowed considerably, from around 7 miles/second shortly after launch to 1.3 miles.second as of the time of this post. It's gonna take a month to get to L2.

Yeah that line chart shows it two days from the moon but already 40% of the way there. If gonna slow a lot if that chart is correct. Prob speed up a teensy as it get closer to the moon too. Then a crawl the rest of the way.

See, this just feels wrong to me. This is a perfect example of the current NASA's lack of initiative.

This mission has been more than 10 years in planning and development. They could have easily deployed an additional team for propulsion to fit this sucker with something that would collect every pink slip ever printed. Instead they're gonna take a month and a half to go 1.5 million miles.

At this pace I'm never gonna get off this shithole rock.

Hey Double Ra are you going to this bowl game?
I haven't decided on that yet, believe it or not. Last night today's Christmas family gathering was postponed due to various issues, so this coming week separate gatherings will take place before my niece and nephew head back to Texas. I can fly in at the last minute if need be. Chances are looking slimmer that I'll get there, but who knows. Sometimes I'm even more impulsive than you.

See, this just feels wrong to me. This is a perfect example of the current NASA's lack of initiative.

This mission has been more than 10 years in planning and development. They could have easily deployed an additional team for propulsion to fit this sucker with something that would collect every pink slip ever printed. Instead they're gonna take a month and a half to go 1.5 million miles.

At this pace I'm never gonna get off this shithole rock.
History being our guide, just as we are going to punch in a two-point conversion this Friday for the win, the asteroid will strike, thus rendering nugatory our need to get off this rock.

I haven't decided on that yet, believe it or not. Last night today's Christmas family gathering was postponed due to various issues, so this coming week separate gatherings will take place before my niece and nephew head back to Texas. I can fly in at the last minute if need be. Chances are looking slimmer that I'll get there, but who knows. Sometimes I'm even more impulsive than you.

Hope you make it.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Deep gravity well it's coasting out of?
I suppose earth is deep gravity, relatively speaking. Part of the slowdown is probably due to the need for the instruments to be slightly above Kelvin when it gets to L2, and more importantly, that it's going slow enough to not blow through L2. It's speed will need to essentially match that of the orbit of L2 upon arrival so it only needs to make a minor adjustment by burning a little bit of fuel for course/speed correction.

If it's essentially tracking on the opposite side of the moon, that would take it inside the earth-sun orbit (nearer the sun) and therefore outside L2, as well as burn unnecessary fuel, wouldn't it? My understanding was Webb would be in L2 opposite the earth so the earth's shadow blocked much of the heat, radiation and light from the sun. Since Webb will be a million miles from earth, not sure why it would track the moon given that the moon is 250k miles from us with a different orbit around the sun than L2. What am I missing here?
I was wondering that myself actually. I guess the telescope “turns” so the optics never actually face the sun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT