ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Question for those who gave up cable

Kodi-14-Helix-Media-Centre.jpg

Last edited:
Now that I have 3 kids under 5, I haven't watched a football game in a long time.

Thank God for WCTC radio app on my phone.

I really need to cut the cord. What a waste of money. Just charge me $100 a month of internet already and get rid of the bundle.

Live sports is the only reason I haven't cut the cord.
You can get everything you need, live, with a few small exceptions. For instance the Rangers are not available online in the NY market. The NHL restricts that. For NFL, you need a digital antenna to watch cbs and fox live , which is easy. I expect all games to be available live online by 2017. I have never missed a Rutgers football game and I cut the cord 2 years ago.

You can get everything you need, live, with a few small exceptions. For instance the Rangers are not available online in the NY market. The NHL restricts that. For NFL, you need a digital antenna to watch cbs and fox live , which is easy. I expect all games to be available live online by 2017. I have never missed a Rutgers football game and I cut the cord 2 years ago.
Thanks I will look into this again. Really refuse to miss RU games. Hated watching the games when they used to be on ESPN3.

you can basic cable with BTN,,install a antenna also on your home..

You can get a very reasonable price on a skinny bundle that includes Internet and low level TV service from your cable company. It won't have all the content but will alleviate need to patch stuff together for just the basics. No one is forcing you to take the bloated high level video packages.

Damn, man. You gotta take a stand. Even if it's just to watch RU, a 3 1/2 hour football game 13 days out of the year ain't that much to ask.
I am never how during the week. I may see my kids for 30min a night. Most times, none. Weekends are family time and to get stuff done.

Can somebody explain to me why Internet alone is so expensive? I mean, of course the internet has become much faster over time, and they're constantly having to upgrade wires and connectivity and whatnot, but I remember buying my house 5 years ago and paying $25/month for Internet through Verizon. Now the cheapest I can find is in the 50s and 60s per month (with a TV bundle being $20-ish more).

Can somebody explain to me why Internet alone is so expensive? I mean, of course the internet has become much faster over time, and they're constantly having to upgrade wires and connectivity and whatnot, but I remember buying my house 5 years ago and paying $25/month for Internet through Verizon. Now the cheapest I can find is in the 50s and 60s per month (with a TV bundle being $20-ish more).
Because it's a monopoly

Because it's a monopoly

Don't get me wrong, you're right 100%. I totally understand that point.

I'm just honestly wondering if there was a legit reason why prices have risen so quickly over the years (bandwidth usage, etc), and what kind of effect me streaming Netflix or something has on a company's bottom line for them to raise prices so much.

In NYC I get 20 up 200 down for $40 with TWC. It was only $35 when i first signed up last year. RCN just sent me a promotion for triple play 150 down $39.99 which includes a bunch of movie channels. Its the people in the suburbs getting killed on price.

So that you say, "Oh, cable is only 20 bucks more; I guess I'll keep it."

Reactions: drewbagel423
overval.jpg

Because it's a monopoly

I'm just honestly wondering if there was a legit reason why prices have risen so quickly over the years (bandwidth usage, etc), and what kind of effect me streaming Netflix or something has on a company's bottom line for them to raise prices so much.
It costs billions of $ to build out & maintain networks & they aren't nonprofits.

If you stream, don't check social media and try to ignore texts because the lag will ruin plays for you.. Definitely a disadvantage. Going out to a restaurant/bar isn't a bad option. I've also done radio a few times while driving, which you could do at home.

Now that I have 3 kids under 5, I haven't watched a football game in a long time.

Thank God for WCTC radio app on my phone.

I really need to cut the cord. What a waste of money. Just charge me $100 a month of internet already and get rid of the bundle.
Man I just signed up with Verizon for $20/month 50/50 FIOS. Of course the router and stuff is on top of that but still under $40/month.

Man I just signed up with Verizon for $20/month 50/50 FIOS. Of course the router and stuff is on top of that but still under $40/month.
These are promotional prices. The way the industry works is based on promo prices, thy roll up after 12 months, and then only the squeaky wheels that call and threaten to cancel will get lower prices again. You'll always get a cheaper price if you are in a market served by a fiber company (Fios or Uverse) as well as a cable company.

Economics of supply and demand. Supply is limited, demand is high, prices increase. Pretty simple. The marginal cost of adding one subscriber or increasing speed is infinitesimal, though the total infrastructure cost is substantial.

The CableCos get used to making ridiculous profits.. so they scale their spending accordingly. As people cut the cord from the big bundles... they keep their internet from the cableco. Cablecos have these high spending thresholds, so they just raise ala carte internet access prices. They get away with this because of the lack of competition.

New Jersey has helped cablecos keep their monopolies in various municipalities making it impossible to create community internet. We had a shot at some level of competiton between FIOS and cablecos.. but FIOS has ceased their buildout because Verizon makes more from their cellphone carrier biz. I don't know if FIOS access actually hurts their cell revenues.. but it might. It is more likely that they just invest in cell buildout instead of FIOS buildout. They did the minimum they needed to do to satisfy the very friendly deal they got from New Jersey (to allow them to compete with cable in the first place). Now they might look for low-hanging fruit where they find it, but if you are on that list to be told when FIOS gets to you.. good luck, it ain't gonna happen.

So, in the big picture, that's what we need. Competiton. Allow developments and municipalities and new businesses to become ISPs and allow cablecos to compete with eachother.

Because you are not paying for internet alone.

When you order a triple play (television, internet, telephone) from you cable company, you are really buying 4 services, not 3:
  • Delivery service
  • Television service
  • Internet service
  • Telephone service
The Delivery Service is the actual connection and infrastructure to enable the cable company to deliver the other services to your house. Historically, the cost for delivery from cable companies has been bundled into the cost of the Television Service. If you add Internet Service on top of your Television Service, then you only pay for the marginal incremental cost for Internet.

But if you cancel your Television Service and keep Internet Service, the cost of the Delivery Service doesn't go away. So it has to then get added to a bundled price for the Internet Service.

I think, eventually, cable/phone companies will eventually separate out the cost of delivery, and then price the other services independently. So bills might look something like this:

• Delivery Service (whether wired or wireless): $45
  • Television Service: $50
  • Internet Service: $40
  • Telephone Service: $35
You may also get to a point where home internet service is metered and you pay based on the amount of data transmitted(similarly to how data usage is metered on cell phone).

You may also get to a point where you can buy delivery from one company and services from another. So you could have Comcast provide the delivery wire to your house, Verizon provide internet and phone, and Cablevision provide television.

This is why I am skeptical of people who claim to have cut the cord, when they actually still have the cord providing Delivery Service and Internet Service and then pay someone else to provide Television Services. They haven't cut the cord at all. They've just changed how they get the same services and content over the same cord. Maybe they are taking advantage of temporary low prices from promotions and fluctuations in market dynamics (and some are taking illegal advantage of technology to steal services without paying). But within a few years, everything will stabilize, and you will still have to pay for the delivery and the television, internet, and phone services you purchase.

It's not as much about prices stabilizing after promotions, it's about the providers increasing the prices of their other services to make up for the lost revenue from cord cutters. Everyone's cost of internet is going to increase when they go from streaming an hour of Netflix a day after 4 hours of cable TV watching to streaming 5 hours of Netflix/Sling/Vue/HBO Now, etc

I tried looking for this plan, do you have the link?
I went on Verizon's website to check their prices, and it just showed up for me.

These are promotional prices. The way the industry works is based on promo prices, thy roll up after 12 months, and then only the squeaky wheels that call and threaten to cancel will get lower prices again. You'll always get a cheaper price if you are in a market served by a fiber company (Fios or Uverse) as well as a cable company.
Yes after 12 months it goes up $10. Still cheaper than Optimum after they increased their prices after my promotion with them ran out. Every few years I switch back and forth to get the cheapest price.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT