ADVERTISEMENT

OT: R.I.P. Bud Harrelson

RIP. Wasn't he the one who had that famous fight with Pete Rose in the playoffs?
Yeah, unfortunately that fight is always the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Buddy. Unfortunate because he had a fantastic and long career as a player, coach, and manager that shouldn't be defined by that. RIP

Another childhood hero lost. Growing up a Mets fan I'm a little too young to remember the 69 series but I do remember the 73 season and the fight with Rose. I also remember Harrelson at SS & Felix Milan at 2B as light hitters but great fielders. With that great pitching staff they usually led the league in double plays. Harrelson couldn't have been much more than 150 lbs soaking wet. Hard to imagine guys that small compared to the modern athletes playing the game today. Definitely a different era. RIP Buddy.

RIP Buddy. Seems like yesterday he got into the fight with Pete Rose - except it was 50 years ago

Man how time flies !

Reactions: RUScrew85
Interesting tidbit about Buddy, he was born on June 6, 1944. D-Day.

When I was 10 years old and the Met bat boy in spring training, I’d wear Buddy’s pants because they were smaller than the bat boy pants.
I ended up playing against him and he’d kid me “you still want my f’n pants kid”
He was my hero growing up, a flawless defensive machine with an amazing accurate arm and a great man.
RIP my friend

Last edited:
Yeah, unfortunately that fight is always the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Buddy. Unfortunate because he had a fantastic and long career as a player, coach, and manager that shouldn't be defined by that. RIP
RIP but I believe he was manager of the “worst team money can buy”, the ‘91 Mets. Shouldn’t define him tho. He was the Mets’ Gene Michael as a SS

Little background to that ‘’73 NLCS & incident with Rose. Bud was talking a lot of sh!t about the Reds in the press. Don’t recall the details but that wasn’t as “spontaneous” as it’s presented

Last edited:
Reactions: LeapinLou
RIP but I believe he was manager of the “worst team money can buy”, the ‘91 Mets. Shouldn’t define him tho. He was the Mets’ Gene Michael as a SS

Little background to that ‘’73 NLCS & incident with Rose. Bud was talking a lot of sh!t about the Reds in the press. Don’t recall the details but that wasn’t as “spontaneous” as it’s presented
In one of the clips Harrelson said that the Reds hitters hit like him. Basically putting himself and the Reds down. As for the fight Buddy said Rose picked him up and gently placed him on the ground. A nice way of saying Rose body slammed him.

Reactions: RUaMoose
He was the Mets’ Gene Michael as a SS
Never heard that comparison. Watched them both play for many years and Buddy was so much better than Michael. If you want to go by straight stats you can make that argument but for people who watched both play anyone will tell you that Harrelson was head and shoulders above Stick.
Harrelson did make two AS games by the way, won a Gold Glove and on three occasions received a few down ballot MVP votes.
I'll happily defer to @zappaa on this one as he knew both.

Reactions: zappaa
Never heard that comparison. Watched them both play for many years and Buddy was so much better than Michael. If you want to go by straight stats you can make that argument but for people who watched both play anyone will tell you that Harrelson was head and shoulders above Stick.
Harrelson did make two AS games by the way, won a Gold Glove and on three occasions received a few down ballot MVP votes.
Harrelson was much better than Michael. No comparison.

Stick was fun to emulate with his little hop/skip throw to first
As to the better defensive player, Buddy was in a different stratosphere.
Not even comparable.

Last edited:
Reactions: S.W.A.I.N
Not looking at any stats just from recollection they both excelled defensively while being offensively challenged

Not looking at any stats just from recollection they both excelled defensively while being offensively challenged
Stick was smooth and flashy, but couldn’t play with Buddy.
Buddy was a machine with great range and a rocket arm.
Little tidbit about Stick, if there was a fight everyone knew to not get close to him, he was know league wide as having lethal quick fists, I’ve seen him in action fooling around and he was scary.
Ray Knight and Bill Madlock, no one f’kd with them for the same reason

Reactions: RUaMoose
As someone else mentioned- back in the 60’s/70’s if you were the little kid playing baseball- Buddy was your guy.

I always took number 3 on any team and any sport I played.

The guy was as good as there ever was with a glove. Grote/Garrett/Buddy/Felix/Hammer

And no doubt in wiffleball- Everyone copied Felix and Milner

Forgot the Jerry Koosman jumped into the brawl at the end.

Wayne Garrett was my favorite Mets from that era and always remember Garrett being the next man in, flipping over the pile.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT