ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Revolutionaries

Against my better judgment, but I'll just say that there had to be willing buyers in this marketplace. The deflection here is not a good look.
it's history and not deflection. No different than drugs or any other human vice

lib·er·al
/ˈlib(ə)rəl/
Filter definitions by topic

See definitions in:
All
Politics
Theology
Education

adjective

willing to respect or accept behavior or opinions different from one's own; open to new ideas.

People have twisted the meaning of Liberal to now mean Liberalism. I’m liberal. GWU can call themselves whatever they want.
haha, please do not try and say that represents today's liberal ideology. Today's liberal ideology is no different than the 30s nazis and stalinist Russia.

prove me wrong

So it’s okay if a lesbian (a woman who likes looking at nude women) share a public restroom with your daughter, but not a person that believes they are female and prefers looking at nude men?

Honestly, this is one of the worst arguments people make. It’s totally illogical. Not to mention an irrational fear of penises.
honestly, you'r analogy is one of the worst we've ever seen. you are borderline faux intelligencia

be better, you are smarter than that

be objective, be open-minded

Absolutely - those poor white slave traders were victims of those evil Africans.
ha, another idiotic post that tries to lay all the blame on white Europeans. This is the problem with you people, you're all really ignorant

Blacks started the slave trade to Europeans as we know it. Slave trading still goes on in Libya thanks to oblunder.

Reactions: bac2therac
because the Colonials were bad racist men
nah that's wrong because some where and some weren't so lumping all together is not the way to go.
Truth is many that lived in the colonies that are considered colonials fought on England's side to stay subjugated because they feared change..
So the wise students decided to dump the name as not to be associated with them and chose to be with the revolutionaries that fought for freedom

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: bac2therac
So descends from colonists whose families were ravaged by sickness, disease, British tyranny and courageously fought back shouldn’t be recognized?
Yes, they deserved to be recognized and that's why the name change.
As not to be lumped in with the colonials that fought with the British so the colonies would remain under England's thumb

Yes, they deserved to be recognized and that's why the name change.
As not to be lumped in with the colonials that fought with the British so the colonies would remain under England's thumb
You can make a sane case for that Mr Hat😊
If I’m fact it was the true motivation.
We should refer to all the loyal Americans who fought and died against the British and Tory’s as Revolutionaries.
Wait… GW just did that 😊

Last edited:
Reactions: MADHAT1
lib·er·al
/ˈlib(ə)rəl/
Filter definitions by topic

See definitions in:
All
Politics
Theology
Education

adjective

willing to respect or accept behavior or opinions different from one's own; open to new ideas.

People have twisted the meaning of Liberal to now mean Liberalism. I’m liberal. GWU can call themselves whatever they want.

Doesn't exactly describe cancel culture. See Bill Mahar clip I posted earlier.

haha, please do not try and say that represents today's liberal ideology. Today's liberal ideology is no different than the 30s nazis and stalinist Russia.

prove me wrong

1. There is a definition for the word ”liberal“. It’s not my concern if you misuse it.

2. You don’t see me going around here arguing with people I disagree with. I’m able to read/listen to other points of view.

Reactions: dfr1966
ha, another idiotic post that tries to lay all the blame on white Europeans. This is the problem with you people, you're all really ignorant

Blacks started the slave trade to Europeans as we know it. Slave trading still goes on in Libya thanks to oblunder.
Not sure who this group “you people” that I am being lumped on with is. I never claimed that all the fault lies with Europeans- it takes two to tango and both sides bear responsibility for the slave trade. African tribes were fighting and enslaving each other before Europeans showed up just like native Americans were.
Your post seemed to lay all responsibility on the Africans, which is certainly inaccurate.

Not sure who this group “you people” that I am being lumped on with is. I never claimed that all the fault lies with Europeans- it takes two to tango and both sides bear responsibility for the slave trade. African tribes were fighting and enslaving each other before Europeans showed up just like native Americans were.
Your post seemed to lay all responsibility on the Africans, which is certainly inaccurate.
Slavery was going on a long long time before what was mentioned in this thread.
But that doesn't make the slave trade or owing slaves excused for any reason.
Just being aware that times back then had different social values that shouldn't be condone in today's socity or one group having, procuring or selling slaves something to be used to excuse another groups involvement in any form of slavery .
Seems like some posting on this thread are trying to use the they did it approach to excuse others doing it.
Just agree what was social acceptable a long time ago should not be accepted now because modern society has learned since that time to value people more and not think of others as tools to be used and discarded when their usefulness is finished .
Times change, society values change with the times and society finds some things were wrong in past generations and makes an effort to end the wrongs of the past , even though there are some opposed to change and feel threatened by it.
When the USA ended slavery in America,there were many against that move because the change was hard for them to accept with their belief of being superior to those held in bondage and refusing to feel they were equal

No matter what the change is, there will be some that are totally against that change because they feel comfortable with the way things are and they fear the change might end what makes them comfortable with their life.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoquat63
honestly, you'r analogy is one of the worst we've ever seen. you are borderline faux intelligencia

be better, you are smarter than that

be objective, be open-minded
🤣

You must be bored.

Anyway, I'm so much more objective, open-minded, intelligent and arrogant than you, that I literally just spit coffee all over my keyboard laughing when I read your faux arrogant faux trolling faux post. Might I suggest that, in future, you try suggesting that I improve my ability to simultaneously laugh out loud and ingest beverages? That would be a useful skill for me to develop if you're going to keep posting like that.

So this was fun, but I need to go take care of my food shopping and fetch some healthy faux food to eat all week. Now get outside and enjoy the day.

🤣

You must be bored.

Anyway, I'm so much more objective, open-minded, intelligent and arrogant than you, that I literally just spit coffee all over my keyboard laughing when I read your faux arrogant faux trolling faux post. Might I suggest that, in future, you try suggesting that I improve my ability to simultaneously laugh out loud and ingest beverages? That would be a useful skill for me to develop if you're going to keep posting like that.

So this was fun, but I need to go take care of my food shopping and fetch some healthy faux food to eat all week. Now get outside and enjoy the day.
He's one of those so muddled and confused that they try to act like both nazis and communists, history's most viciously diametrically opposed political fanatics, were both liberals. You know someone is a mindless partisan hack that can be dismissed when they won't even admit their side of the political spectrum has extremists. My side has neo-marxists. I vehemently disagree with them in most ways. They are not merely to the left of me; they're so far left they wind up rejecting ideas I consider inviolable. The right has neo-nazis. Nobody in the RWCJ here ever says the same thing.

He's one of those so muddled and confused that they try to act like both nazis and communists, history's most viciously diametrically opposed political fanatics, were both liberals. You know someone is a mindless partisan hack that can be dismissed when they won't even admit their side of the political spectrum has extremists. My side has neo-marxists. I vehemently disagree with them in most ways. They are not merely to the left of me; they're so far left they wind up rejecting ideas I consider inviolable. The right has neo-nazis. Nobody in the RWCJ here ever says the same thing.
What's funny is that, having gotten to "know" you and @RUTGERS95 over the years, I actually like both of you a lot, although you're obviously very different people. My views on nearly all political/ideological stuff are so laid back that I can get along with just about anybody.

The only exception is people who make it a habit to go around harming others intentionally. I have little tolerance for that.

Anyway, I mostly figure that I'm not nearly a good enough person to be judging most other people, especially not many millions of people I've never met. So while I tease people about stuff, and like playing poke the bear a lot, I don't much go in for demonizing them for their views.

I guess I'd much rather make friends than create reasons to define whole groups of people as enemies. But each to their own.

Reactions: hoquat63
What's funny is that, having gotten to "know" you and @RUTGERS95 over the years, I actually like both of you a lot, although you're obviously very different people. My views on nearly all political/ideological stuff are so laid back that I can get along with just about anybody.

The only exception is people who make it a habit to go around harming others intentionally. I have little tolerance for that.

Anyway, I mostly figure that I'm not nearly a good enough person to be judging most other people, especially not many millions of people I've never met. So while I tease people about stuff, and like playing poke the bear a lot, I don't much go in for demonizing them for their views.

I guess I'd much rather make friends than create reasons to define whole groups of people as enemies. But each to their own.
Well, being a person who is targeted continuously with hostility and discriminatory laws, I'm not given the option of being laid back. There are people, a lot of them, including some very powerful politicians, working to make my life harder. Among other things, they're now openly accusing me of being complicit in the sexual exploitation of children--one of the most reprehensible crimes possible--at the same time that they're encouraging and legalizing ever more vigilante violence--in an age of continuous mass shootings. This is not funny or cute or merely disagreement over how high taxes should be. Many of these people want me to disappear or at least go back into the shadows because they dislike me and it pleases them, even as they squawk about freedom freedom freedom. Whose freedom exactly?

You can make a sane case for that Mr Hat😊
If I’m fact it was the true motivation.
We should refer to all the loyal Americans who fought and died against the British and Tory’s as Revolutionaries.
Wait… GW just did that 😊
I would actually prefer Patriots to Revolutionaries. After all doesn’t everyone love patriots? First people I think of when you say revolutionaries is Che Guevara and Lenin and Trotsky. Since they haven’t consulted me, my opinion means diddly squat.

I would actually prefer Patriots to Revolutionaries. After all doesn’t everyone love patriots? First people I think of when you say revolutionaries is Che Guevara and Lenin and Trotsky. Since they haven’t consulted me, my opinion means diddly squat.
You can also find examples of people calling themselves patriots who were monsters, guys like Hitler or Timothy McVeigh. But that can't be used to permanently stain a word. It's always easiest to pick a name like _________ Sox or Marauders or a bird of prey to avoid some pushy busybody, of which America is full, from complaining. Honestly, too many people in America have become insufferably pushy in telling others what to do, left, right, churchy, environment, word police, flag police, etc.

You can also find examples of people calling themselves patriots who were monsters, guys like Hitler or Timothy McVeigh. But that can't be used to permanently stain a word. It's always easiest to pick a name like _________ Sox or Marauders or a bird of prey to avoid some pushy busybody, of which America is full, from complaining. Honestly, too many people in America have become insufferably pushy in telling others what to do, left, right, churchy, environment, word police, flag police, etc.
we can point out examples to back up what point we want to share.
hoguate made a good point and what he said was very reasonable when one thinks of famous revolutionaries.
But as you said/implied any name used can have people finding a reason to complain about using it to represent something they are part of.

What hoguate pointed out about the people he associated with the revolutionary name could be the reason, in the future, GWU decides to drop that name and be considered a valid reason even though Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Ghandi , Thomas Paine and George Washington were considered revolutionaries

In Ireland Michael Collins and James Connery and Constance Markievicz are the great revolutionaries revered to this day by the Irish for their role in the fight for an independent Irish Nation

But the names hoguate stated probably will pop into most minds when the name revolutionary comes up far faster than any of the names I mentioned so he does make a good point

your teacher was right.
Some of the students of GW in 2018 started a movement to change the University from honoring this country's time of being under British rule .

I'm sure there are many that think being part of Great Britain at one time deserves to be honored and Colonist is a good name for GWU
Heck there were many living in the 13 colonies that liked being under British rule and fought on the English side.

But the honor should go to those that fought to end what those living in the North American Colonies felt was living under a Tyrant's oppression and became Revolutionaries fighting for freedom from being British subjects and feeling oppressed by British laws

Colonialism is a practice by which a country controls people living outside their boundaries , often by establishing colonies far from where they are located , generally for strategic and economic advancement.
America was started like that and for the benefit of England in the part of North America they controlled.
France also colinized America, but the British drove thanm out and took control of the territory France once had in Canada

I agree I actually think Revolutionaries is more patriotic. America fought to gain independence to fight against colonial rule.

I agree I actually think Revolutionaries is more patriotic. America fought to gain independence to fight against colonial rule.

I guess Patriots is already taken, though not at the college level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT