ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RIP Gordon Lightfoot

I read he wasn't doing too well a few days ago.
I liked him ok - "If You Could Read My Mind" was nice
He was kinda in the Jim Croce, Neil Diamond bin
BTO member just died too

Last edited:
Ive heard Sundown is about Cathy Smith - a groupie/drug dealer. Lightfoot dated her in the early 70s, think she was a dealer for the Stones and later went on to kill John Belushi.

I can see her lying back in her satin dress
In a room where you do what you don't confess

Sundown, you better take care
If I find you been creeping 'round my back stairs

Reactions: RUBigFrank
Ive heard Sundown is about Cathy Smith - a groupie/drug dealer. Lightfoot dated her in the early 70s, think she was a dealer for the Stones and later went on to kill John Belushi.

I can see her lying back in her satin dress
In a room where you do what you don't confess

Article from a couple of years ago. Seems like she really got around.

When you all get a chance...

EdmungFitz_BottleGlass.jpg

...in his honor. It's a good beer. Very good.

A chocolatey-like Guinness. Sweet but tasty.

I saw him at the Garden State Arts Center on 7-7-77.
Hopefully,he's now on a Carefree Highway.
Arizona State Route 74 (SR 74), locally known as the Carefree Highway, is a state highway in central Arizonathat stretches east to west from its junction with U.S. Route 60 (US 60) just south of Wickenburg to its junction with Interstate 17 (I-17) in North Phoenix.

The Carefree Highway is the inspiration for a 1974 Gordon Lightfoot song of the same name.[2] Lightfoot wrote it after travelling from Flagstaff, Arizona on Interstate 17 to Phoenix.

In our parlance he was a 5 Star. Very few on his level. In the Mt Rushmore conversation.

When the song came out, I assumed "Edmund Fitzgerald" was about a 19th century ship. Not sure why I did. Years later I discovered that it sank in 1975. Being that the song was released in '76 it was still a current event when he wrote it.

When the song came out, I assumed "Edmund Fitzgerald" was about a 19th century ship. Not sure why I did. Years later I discovered that it sank in 1975. Being that the song was released in '76 it was still a current event when he wrote it.

With a load of iron ore 26,000 tons more
Than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty

Definitely not 19th c. 😁

With a load of iron ore 26,000 tons more
Than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty

Definitely not 19th c. 😁
Next you're going to tell me The Irish Rover wasn't a real ship that set sail in 1806 with 2 million barrels of stone...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT