ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Robot Waiters

yesrutgers01

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 9, 2008
My company just had a late holiday lunch at an Indian Restaurant in Franklin Park- The Spice Rack. And it was the first time I saw a robot waitr being used?

Has anyone else experienced these? I thought it was novel but when it began serving- it was one plate at a time, you had to take it off yourself and pass t to who ever it was for and it was super slow. You also had to order via a scan code on the table. They did have a busboy to pick up plates and check on drinks etc.

The bill came- and they still had the standard recommendation of 15/20/25 % tips.

Who the hell am I tipping? I would think if you really are getting minimal human service, why would it be any more than maybe 5% for the busboy?

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this before

My company just had a late holiday lunch at an Indian Restaurant in Franklin Park- The Spice Rack. And it was the first time I saw a robot waitr being used?

Has anyone else experienced these? I thought it was novel but when it began serving- it was one plate at a time, you had to take it off yourself and pass t to who ever it was for and it was super slow. You also had to order via a scan code on the table. They did have a busboy to pick up plates and check on drinks etc.

The bill came- and they still had the standard recommendation of 15/20/25 % tips.

Who the hell am I tipping? I would think if you really are getting minimal human service, why would it be any more than maybe 5% for the busboy?

Give the busboy 10% and you still save 10%. Also the owner needs to recoup the robot cost.

robots have feelings too, still need to tip.

Solana-is-an-improved-version-of-Harmony-an-earlier-version-of-the-sex-robot.jpg

Give the busboy 10% and you still save 10%. Also the owner needs to recoup the robot cost.
I'm not sure a BB gets more than 5% of a tip when you tip a real waiter. I don't think they usually split a 20% tip. The cost of the robot is covered by not paying a waiter and I am sure, in the price as well.

Sounds weird and not ready for market. All wow factor that probably underwhelms.

Use robots for repetitive back-of-house prep (if amything) for now.

Don't be cheap. Tip the staff. Maybe not 20% though.
Interesting enough, asked the boss about it and he told me they put an 18% tip on it already.
And I am never cheap, but who are you tipping?
Like I said, we really only had a busboy and would love to be fair to him and would guess at a normal wait staff restaurant- a BB most likely gets 5% of a 20% tip.

Did the robot get the order right? That right there would be an improvement. I find it frustrating ordering on the phone or in person when they get it wrong, whereas ordering online at least gets the cook something directly in writing from the customer.

Reactions: milktruck

I've been going there for years. Really like the food, but service isn't their strong suit. The owners keep saying that they are short staffed and can't hire anyone so they got the robot. I don't buy it. There's plenty of other Indian restaurants in the area that don't have staffing shortages.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
I've been going there for years. Really like the food, but service isn't their strong suit. The owners keep saying that they are short staffed and can't hire anyone so they got the robot. I don't buy it. There's plenty of other Indian restaurants in the area that don't have staffing shortages.
We do tech staffing so most of the office is Indian and this is their go to place. I love all ethic foods.
Food was very good- it was also nice that one of the ladies that has been going there a long time- ordered all of the appetizers based on who may be vegetarian, meat eaters, heat, etc…
I had the chance to eat a lot of things I may not have ever ordered previously.
Robot was very slow though.

I know you had no choice as it was a work holiday lunch. But if I had walked in as a patron, I probably would have walked out. I would have said to the owner, "That's cute, good luck with that, but I'm here for a dining experience, not an automat."

Tipping has gotten out of hand but that's beyond out of Hand. The whole point of a robot is to dispense with human workers and their costs. If I have to tip I want a human that can respond to me.

I know you had no choice as it was a work holiday lunch. But if I had walked in as a patron, I probably would have walked out. I would have said to the owner, "That's cute, good luck with that, but I'm here for a dining experience, not an automat."
Are you old enough to remember automats?
I remember as a kid being in NYC and each dish was in a separate cubbie and you bought it like using a vending machine. Full dinners in this section. Sandwiches over there. Desserts (I had lemon meringue pie...why do I remember that?) over there.
Horn and Hardart IIRC.

I remember as a kid being in NYC and each dish was in a separate cubbie and you bought it like using a vending machine. Full dinners in this section. Sandwiches over there. Desserts (I had lemon meringue pie...why do I remember that?) over there.
Horn and Hardart IIRC.
Horny and hardup? 😃

Horn and Hardart IIRC.
Yes, I was a little kid when my mom took us to the last one in NYC. Too young to remeber specifics, but I do remember putting coins/tokens in the slot and you opened a glass door to get the food inside. I imagine a robot waiter would give you the same type of personal service.

Last edited:
Reactions: yesrutgers01
Horn and Hardart IIRC.
Those were my Dad’s favorites in the late 60’s early 70’s- he thought they were the coolest things- and as kids- we did too.

Reactions: rurichdog
I just had to check out this place online…Indian/Thai/Chinese with Chopsuey on the menu! served by robots with an automatic 18% tip. That sounds like a comedy sketch.

I just had to check out this place online…Indian/Thai/Chinese with Chopsuey on the menu! served by robots with an automatic 18% tip. That sounds like a comedy sketch.
So many of my favorite restaurants ARE my favorite restaurants because of the talents of the waiters, who do so much to make one's visit a special occasion.

There are no bigger scumbags than restaurant owners.

They somehow fooled everyone to pay their staff via tips rather than paying themselves.

Reactions: NickRU714
The one without the hair could also use a whole back of the head
Sinead's dead for a while now, I think. So she probably doesn't have much of a back of her head either. 😬

Thus the SOC fetish comment still applies, more or less. I'm just saying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT