ADVERTISEMENT

RU Lax Defeats The Nits

Is there more that needs to be done, or is an NCAA bid expected at this point?

Is there more that needs to be done, or is an NCAA bid expected at this point?

Believe it or not there's still no guarantee due to the AQs from weaker conferences. Even the B1G tourney is not a lock. A win against OSU is vital.

It is still not a lock... but this was a must win! If we had lost this game we would had no chance other than winning the B1G conference title. So this win keeps hope alive.

SO GLAD we beat PSU. Can somebody tell me how we lose to the #1 team by 1 goal and drop from 7th to 10? SMH...

Got to win way more faceoffs. 0 for 12 2nd half?

Reactions: RUMountie
SO GLAD we beat PSU. Can somebody tell me how we lose to the #1 team by 1 goal and drop from 7th to 10? SMH...

I don't know, I still don't understand quite how LAX work when it comes to ranking, the system is very different than other sports.

That game was even in MD, wasn't it? You'd think they would hold at 7 at worst. At best, ah well, never mind that, we are fans of RU after all. LOL.

That game was a nail biter. Awesome win. We really buckled down when we had to.

How we dropped as far as we did after the Maryland loss was mind boggling.

As an example, Albany loss the week before the one of the lowest rated teams in all of D1, UMBC. They dropped from 1 to 2. Disgraceful.

Great win by the squad! That was huge on a lot of levels.

This team can win the NC. If we beat OSU and make this tourney, they are going for it all

How we dropped as far as we did after the Maryland loss was mind boggling.

As an example, Albany loss the week before the one of the lowest rated teams in all of D1, UMBC. They dropped from 1 to 2. Disgraceful.

Great win by the squad! That was huge on a lot of levels.

And they only dropped 2 more spots after Yale schooled them, though I believe one of their op players was out due to injury.

Questions for the lax people. Why does the B1G not allow all the teams that play lax into the conf tourney? Question 2 would be why does the NCAA not expand its tourny when you have highly ranked teams not getting in due to all the AQ's from mid majors? The idea that the 10th ranked team in the nation does not get into the NCAA is mind boggling. Last year was a joke and it is possible apparently that this bad joke might get repeated.

Questions for the lax people. Why does the B1G not allow all the teams that play lax into the conf tourney? Question 2 would be why does the NCAA not expand its tourny when you have highly ranked teams not getting in due to all the AQ's from mid majors? The idea that the 10th ranked team in the nation does not get into the NCAA is mind boggling. Last year was a joke and it is possible apparently that this bad joke might get repeated.

I'll tell you why... IMO, of course.

The NCAA's income comes from the NCAA Basketball tourney nearly exclusively.

That is threatened by the idea of the major conferences banding together and having their own tournament.

So the NCAA needs to have the support of the bulk of its membership... that is, there are less than 70 power conference teams... but 337 play division one basketball. All of which have congresspersons and senators who might support them. So.. keep them happy and you have some political power which may help prevent the disaster scenario from taking place.. that is, the power conferences leave the NCAA BBALL TOURNEY.

So.. imo.. all the AQs in all the sports stem directly from that situation. The P5 conferences still get their very best into the tourney.. and, in fact, those teams have improved chances of advancing in these tourneys because of the good teams from their own conference not making it. Think last year of Rutgers beating Hopkins in regular season (was it twice?) but Hopkins into the tourney not having to face a Rutgers?

The Lax tourney is an expense to the NCAA anyway. Not a lot of money to be made... so why expand?

That is threatened by the idea of the major conferences banding together and having their own tournament.

So the NCAA needs to have the support of the bulk of its membership... that is, there are less than 70 power conference teams... but 337 play division one basketball. All of which have congresspersons and senators who might support them. So.. keep them happy and you have some political power which may help prevent the disaster scenario from taking place.. that is, the power conferences leave the NCAA BBALL TOURNEY.

So.. imo.. all the AQs in all the sports stem directly from that situation. The P5 conferences still get their very best into the tourney.. and, in fact, those teams have improved chances of advancing in these tourneys because of the good teams from their own conference not making it. Think last year of Rutgers beating Hopkins in regular season (was it twice?) but Hopkins into the tourney not having to face a Rutgers?

The Lax tourney is an expense to the NCAA anyway. Not a lot of money to be made... so why expand?

I disagree. The conferences the get the AQs to the lax tourney have very little clout. The only reason I can think of for the level of AQs is the desire to expand the sport. Unfortunately, between Title IX and budgetary considerations that is not likely to happen.

Reactions: Caliknight

I believe your last statement is incorrect. The lacrosse tournament turns a profit.

It should be called the "Go F Yourself for the Next Year" trophy.

:)

This was a trophy my fraternity awarded every year at formal: Pu$$y on the Pedestal (aka best boyfriend) Award

PoP.jpg

Something like this would do, but in this case, the loser gets it.

Last edited:
Reactions: T2Kplus10
The Friendship Cup dates back to the 1990's.

Here is the whole story:

The Friendship Bowl Game is a symbol of the friendship of four friends from Sewanhaka High School on Long Island who under the leadership of legendary lacrosse coach Bill Ritch learned what it took to play Division I lacrosse. The four went off to college splitting two ways; one pair attending Penn State, and the other heading off to Rutgers.

The four men dedicated the annual game between their alma maters to three things they hold dear: the idea of lifelong friendship, their old high school, and the close ties that have long existed between the Penn State and Rutgers athletic teams. The founders from Penn State are John Meisel and Vin Tedesco. Rutgers' founding members of the game are John Valestra and Ronald Yurcak.

The Friendship Cup is given to the victor of the Penn State/Rutgers match-up each year. The game started on April 18, 1998.

source: http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-lacros/spec-rel/042000aaa.html

The Friendship Cup dates back to the 1990's.

Here is the whole story:

The Friendship Bowl Game is a symbol of the friendship of four friends from Sewanhaka High School on Long Island who under the leadership of legendary lacrosse coach Bill Ritch learned what it took to play Division I lacrosse. The four went off to college splitting two ways; one pair attending Penn State, and the other heading off to Rutgers.

The four men dedicated the annual game between their alma maters to three things they hold dear: the idea of lifelong friendship, their old high school, and the close ties that have long existed between the Penn State and Rutgers athletic teams. The founders from Penn State are John Meisel and Vin Tedesco. Rutgers' founding members of the game are John Valestra and Ronald Yurcak.

The Friendship Cup is given to the victor of the Penn State/Rutgers match-up each year. The game started on April 18, 1998.

source: http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-lacros/spec-rel/042000aaa.html

Interesting backstory. But, what a microcosm of the attitudes in NY/NJ/PA. Attend a highschool in one state, go to college in another, and then come back and all hang out afterward. Here's an idea -- why not all attend THE SAME SCHOOL, if it means that much to you!

Then, you can be lifelong friends and we can ditch the trophy.

this was far from being an "any win"--they had just beaten JH and are a real good team a

Interesting backstory. But, what a microcosm of the attitudes in NY/NJ/PA. Attend a highschool in one state, go to college in another, and then come back and all hang out afterward. Here's an idea -- why not all attend THE SAME SCHOOL, if it means that much to you!

That is not always possible.

Besides Trophies are one of the great traditions in College Sports. You know, tradition, that thing that fans often cry about that Rutgers doesn't have enough of.

We also have a LAX trophy game with Princeton as well. They play for The Meistrell Cup, named in honor of U.S. Lacrosse Hall of Famer Harland (Tots) Meistrell, who restarted the lacrosse programs at both schools in the early 1920s.

Reactions: Caliknight
F' Long Island & F' Rapey Valley! This unwanted Friendship Cup is gayer than Corey Booker. Pedophile Cult members aren't my friends. [poop][poop][poop]

Because you can be life long friends and attend different schools. Lacrosse is awesome that way. Their experience isn't unique be any measure.

And lucky for us. Those are two legendary Knights. And the trophy is pretty cool. Though one of those Penn St. guys, not so much. Good to stick to him.

Yea, F the place where two of our best players are from, along with many others over the course of the 101 years we've been playing lacrosse. It also happens to be one of the top 3 areas that produces lacrosse players.

He must be a genius.

I disagree. The conferences the get the AQs to the lax tourney have very little clout. The only reason I can think of for the level of AQs is the desire to expand the sport. Unfortunately, between Title IX and budgetary considerations that is not likely to happen.

I believe your last statement is incorrect. The lacrosse tournament turns a profit.

NCAA Funding charts

Point being in the greater scheme of things.. the NCAA is funded almost exclusively by the basketball tourney and thus all their strategy to remain fiscally solvent MUST take that reality into account.

I don't think they can have one strategy for basketball and another for everything else. And this problem with mid majors getting AQs exists in that tourney and we are all surprised and excited when you see a Loyola advancing far... but the Big Ten saw teams on the bubble and not make it when they should have been in... Nebraska and Penn State for example. It is not a surprise to me other sports have similar issues.. look no further than the Rutgers womens basketball team and as has been pointed out, last years Rutgers Lax team.

There is a reason that the NCAA changed its invitation policy tot eh basketball tourney.. with more guaranteed AQs and elimination of the play-ins and even making P5 teams play eachother in those new "first round" matchups. In the old days they expanded beyond 64 with play-ins between lesser conferences. Why couldn' t that have continued? I think if you dive into that question you'll see why there are AQs for "lesser" Lax conferences and thus, fewer opportunities for post-season play among the better conference teams.

Thanks for the reply. Can anyone answer why the B1G does not take all the schools playing lax into the B1G tourny?

Thanks for the reply. Can anyone answer why the B1G does not take all the schools playing lax into the B1G tourny?

I believe all of the conference lax tourneys are 4 teams. The ACC leaves 1 team out every year as opposed to a play in game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT