ADVERTISEMENT

The new way to build teams

If you couple a bag of money with a contract that says you return the money if you enter the portal or opt out of an earned post season bowl game, I’d think about contributing.
I agree Zap, contracts and regulation need to be a part of this
It won't be pretty, and might get ugly for a while
But there's too much money at stake for them not to figure it out eventually (and hopefully, sooner rather than later)

No, I rather he stay for four years

Did you want guys like Rieber, Miller, Chol, Doucoure and Mensah to also stay or were you interested in trying to make upgrades?

If RU makes an Elite Eight type run on any given year, most here are not going to be lamenting about transfers who left and did not stay 4 years. If RU stinks it up near the bottom of the BIG, many will be questioning everything including their own fandom and interest. Its just the way of the ups and downs of being a fan.

Reactions: FinalFourOrBust
Did you want guys like Rieber, Miller, Chol, Doucoure and Mensah to also stay or were you interested in trying to make upgrades?

If RU makes an Elite Eight type run on any given year, most here are not going to be lamenting about transfers who left and did not stay 4 years. If RU stinks it up near the bottom of the BIG, many will be questioning everything including their own fandom and interest. Its just the way of the ups and downs of being a fan.
100%. People are crying about lack of loyalty with players they want as they’re also pushing guys they don’t want out the door. If Rutgers is good next year then no one will care that they’re aren’t 4 years guys. You think bc state and bamas fanbase are complaining right now?

Perhaps the problem might be the NIL resources are lower than the competition.
It's absolutely a problem
Which is why I've been advocating going after the corporations within a certain radius of campus / NYC/ Philly in order to make up the difference

You know it's only been out a short time, right?
And eventually, hopefully sometime soon, it'll be regulated (to a certain extent), right?
How long to you feel is reasonable to wait before we can point out that position you advocate for didn't work (and never, ever had an even remote chance of working)? It's been two years. Must we wait five years? Ten years? You tell us.

How long to you feel is reasonable to wait before we can point out that position you advocate for didn't work (and never, ever had an even remote chance of working)? It's been two years. Must we wait five years? Ten years? You tell us.
Hobbs just hired a team to go out and prospect / close deals w major corporations

You know we had zero chance if competing in football, ever, pre NIL, right?

You also know we’ve largely sucked for the past 50 years, correct?

Hard to quantify a specific timeline on success.

But given the aforementioned facts and Hobbs late to the game hires, I’d say a minimum of 3-5 years, starting not when NIL was implemented, but when Pat hired the team to go after corporations, is a reasonable timeline to gauge success

Not championships
But quantifiable, metric based improvement

Like the GOAT Bobby Bowden used to say:
~ first you lose big
- then you lose small
- then you win small
- then you win big

We’re in between points 2 & 3 currently
Hopefully we’ll continue trending up

It’s a fine line on how you handle mistakes

My approach would be to sit the player down and tell him that he probably gets very little or no court time next year
Which would be the truth, and the way to go

What happens if a player still decides not to transfer , you could be stuck with them

Possibly the player works hard to prove the coach wrong
I don’t believe that you can force a player out besides this, and still be ethical and above board

Reactions: Loyal-Son
You know we had zero chance if competing in football, ever, pre NIL, right?

... except in 2006-07 when we were a legit Top 10 team and then a year later were in the Top 25 for a large portion of the year (we may have even have been in the Top 10 after beating South Florida).

You also know we’ve largely sucked for the past 50 years, correct?

Yup, and then the first time the school made an effort (hiring Greg and letting Uncle Bob build halfway decent facilities), we were a very competitive team. Then our coach left for the NFL and the school wouldn't spend real money to hire a replacement (after Flood's first year; I don't blame anyone for Flood being the best available option in 2012).

But given the aforementioned facts and Hobbs late to the game hires, I’d say a minimum of 3-5 years, starting not when NIL was implemented, but when Pat hired the team to go after corporations, is a reasonable timeline to gauge success

Are we pretending the althetics department never tried to get corporate partners prior to this past season? You think Hobbs is the first person to try and it only started 10 minutes ago?

Respectfully, that's an excuse and always has been
NIL is $10 / month
I'd venture to say 99 % of this board can afford that

If you're against it, that's fine
Some will never adapt, and that's ok

But the whole working folks schict is old and worn out
Every fan base has fans that work
Some just want to win more than others
IMHO that is a shortsighted view of NIL in general. I get these players want to earn money but this is not what I think fans hoped NIL would become. It's morphed into hiring mercenaries. If folks think that is a good use of their hard earned monies, go for it. I think there are other ways to contribute hard earned money that can have longer lasting positive impact for the school and athletes that I think is a better investment. For example, donating for facilities that multiple generations of athletes can get the benefit of over multiple years.

... except in 2006-07 when we were a legit Top 10 team and then a year later were in the Top 25 for a large portion of the year (we may have even have been in the Top 10 after beating South Florida).

Yup, and then the first time the school made an effort (hiring Greg and letting Uncle Bob build halfway decent facilities), we were a very competitive team. Then our coach left for the NFL and the school wouldn't spend real money to hire a replacement (after Flood's first year; I don't blame anyone for Flood being the best available option in 2012).

Are we pretending the althetics department never tried to get corporate partners prior to this past season? You think Hobbs is the first person to try and it only started 10 minutes ago?

One year we've been nationally relevant
Out of 43 that I've been alive

In a watered-down Big East
Without Miami, Boston College and Virginia Tech

And then... Greg left
He wasn't duplicating that in the B1G

Not with Ohio State
Not with Michigan
Not with Penn State
Not with USC
Not to mention...Oregon, Washington, Sconnie. etc.

Nobody's pretending anything, though I'd guarantee they weren't going all out to land them.
They certainly didn't have NIL to contend with to kick them in the pants to get on it either

Again, if you wana think small, go for it. I'm choosing to think big. Real big

We weren't doing anything notable before NIL
I'll repeat - we've largely sucked throughout my lifetime and certainly before that

Why would that change if NIL wasn't implemented?
B/c Greg game back talking about chopping wood and due to us being the "sleeping giant?"

Wake up man, that's a pipe dream
Not in the B1G, not with the blue bloods, and certainly not with the way the game's played today
Now, at least we have a shot

As I've said countless times, gun to my head, I don't think we get there
Nothing in the past has shown me we will, so naturally I'm not going to be overly optimistic

But now, with NIL, there's at least a shot
A chance
A prayer

B/c before NIL, we've certainly had a large enough sample size
And that sample size showed me we just couldn't compete... period

IMHO that is a shortsighted view of NIL in general. I get these players want to earn money but this is not what I think fans hoped NIL would become. It's morphed into hiring mercenaries. If folks think that is a good use of their hard earned monies, go for it. I think there are other ways to contribute hard earned money that can have longer lasting positive impact for the school and athletes that I think is a better investment. For example, donating for facilities that multiple generations of athletes can get the benefit of over multiple years.

But what if your opinion is wrong?

YOU may think the best investment is facilities.
But what if the AD and HC disagree?

Fans never seemed to care how their donations were spent previously.
The AD could spend it however they deemed fit.

What's the difference now?

But what if your opinion is wrong?

YOU may think the best investment is facilities.
But what if the AD and HC disagree?

Fans never seemed to care how their donations were spent previously.
The AD could spend it however they deemed fit.

What's the difference now?
It's an opinion. You may disagree with it. I can make an argument for it being right and you for it being wrong. It's not relevant. As for the coaches and AD - their view is short term as their jobs depend on it. They need to focus more time on fixing a very broken system with higher urgency that I see now. As for how the monies are donated - those donating $100 may not care how it is spent but for those donating in larger amounts - most do care - and dictate how it will be spent.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT