ADVERTISEMENT

Portal/NIL Dilemmas

BillyC80

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
So, when you recruit via the portal and NIL deals, how does the player you’re recruiting know who’s for sure gonna be on the team?

I can see how Paul and Cam, as graduates, had the benefit of deciding late when the teams recruiting them were mostly set.

For Pike this off-season, at least he can say he has two lottery picks coming in, along with a 4-star offensively talented center. After that, it’s anyone’s guess who stays (other than incoming freshmen).

As a coach, the benefit of moving early on a player you want is obvious, unless you’re not sure what holes you’ll have to fill.

And, for players in demand, it might be best to wait as long as possible, for a bigger payday AND for knowing with some certainty the roster of the team you’re joining.

So many conflicting angles in the recruiting game these days.

Not to mention, unlike professional sports, college coaches have to count on outside sources to fund recruiting, without knowing the exact budget they’ll have to work with.

I don’t envy the coaches and recruiters who have to deal with these new dilemmas to build and rebuild a true team year after year.

Players want playing time. Now they get NIL deals. Beyond that, there are a million recruiting pitches coaches can use to convince players the team will be good. Most kids don’t know the landscape across the country well enough.

One of our programs issues (imo) has been an unwillingness to offer playing time in favor of sticking with “core” players who have been with Pike but imo have not been good enough to take a shot at recruiting over.

The end result in this non sit-out era, is you only attract guys who end up depth pieces not good enough to impact games for winning teams.

Reactions: BillyC80
Players want playing time. Now they get NIL deals. Beyond that, there are a million recruiting pitches coaches can use to convince players the team will be good. Most kids don’t know the landscape across the country well enough.

One of our programs issues (imo) has been an unwillingness to offer playing time in favor of sticking with “core” players who have been with Pike but imo have not been good enough to take a shot at recruiting over.

The end result in this non sit-out era, is you only attract guys who end up depth pieces not good enough to impact games for winning teams.
You make a good point. It will be interesting to see how the concept of loyalty plays out over the course of the NIL era.

I also wonder if, in the future, some NIL deals will be multi-year agreements instead of free agency every year.

You make a good point. It will be interesting to see how the concept of loyalty plays out over the course of the NIL era.

I also wonder if, in the future, some NIL deals will be multi-year agreements instead of free agency every year.
I think we will see agreements made as forgiveable loans. Smooths the payment of taxes and puts handcuffs on players.

Collective gives a guy who market has 250K per year 800K in a 8 year forgiveable loan. He gets 800k tax free upfront. Every year he owes 100K less on the loan and has to pay taxes on 100K.

I think there are more available/quality players than actual spots on a Power 5/6 roster. So filling spots shouldn't be overly complicated.

Philly, are you saying graduates have the same deadline to enter the portal as others?
It appears so (narrowed the excerpt down to the relevant bits):

Windows will be modified to the following:
  • Winter sports: 45 days, beginning seven days after championship selection.
The Legislative Committee noted that notification-of-transfer deadlines of May 1 for fall and winter sports and July 1 for spring sports apply to graduate transfers transferring for the first time, and that beginning in 2024-25, graduate students seeking waivers for postgraduate eligibility will need to comply with those same deadlines.

Reactions: BillyC80
Sometimes I wonder if we only get tape of the player on the defensive end of the floor...

The Legislative Committee noted that notification-of-transfer deadlines of May 1 for fall and winter sports and July 1 for spring sports apply to graduate transfers transferring for the first time, and that beginning in 2024-25, graduate students seeking waivers for postgraduate eligibility will need to comply with those same deadlines.
Good to know, thanks (and of course, one year too late for RU, but will help going forward).

Reactions: PhillyRU
Collective gives a guy who market has 250K per year 800K in a 8 year forgiveable loan. He gets 800k tax free upfront. Every year he owes 100K less on the loan and has to pay taxes on 100K.
You don’t think Uncle Sam will catch on ??? Lol

I read that too but wasn't sure if it meant May 1 2025 or May 1 2024.

@Richard Schnyderite any idea? You mentioned earlier that the grad student transfer portal window loophole wasn't going away

So, when you recruit via the portal and NIL deals, how does the player you’re recruiting know who’s for sure gonna be on the team?

I can see how Paul and Cam, as graduates, had the benefit of deciding late when the teams recruiting them were mostly set.

For Pike this off-season, at least he can say he has two lottery picks coming in, along with a 4-star offensively talented center. After that, it’s anyone’s guess who stays (other than incoming freshmen).

As a coach, the benefit of moving early on a player you want is obvious, unless you’re not sure what holes you’ll have to fill.

And, for players in demand, it might be best to wait as long as possible, for a bigger payday AND for knowing with some certainty the roster of the team you’re joining.

So many conflicting angles in the recruiting game these days.

Not to mention, unlike professional sports, college coaches have to count on outside sources to fund recruiting, without knowing the exact budget they’ll have to work with.

I don’t envy the coaches and recruiters who have to deal with these new dilemmas to build and rebuild a true team year after year.
As a fan, do you think the annual overhaul rebuild is something that will keep you tied to the program or will it get tiring. This will be the bigger question for us all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT