ADVERTISEMENT

Shooter in the portal

darkcheck

Junior
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2022
We keep saying we need a shooter from the portal, but can the staff successfully identify one? I’m not trolling, I’m asking honestly. We hardly ever had good shooters, is it that opposing fans are saying novenas that we don’t shoot well. Or, could something be off about talent eval? Cam was a hit. But Noah wasn’t. Every year we always say we need to shoot better. Is it a 50/50 proposition for most teams or does our staff need a different approach? Noah was hyped up as the fix, but many of us were worried how effective he’d be in the B1G at 5-11. And he was in before Cam abandoned us.

We keep saying we need a shooter from the portal, but can the staff successfully identify one? I’m not trolling, I’m asking honestly. We hardly ever had good shooters, is it that opposing fans are saying novenas that we don’t shoot well. Or, could something be off about talent eval? Cam was a hit. But Noah wasn’t. Every year we always say we need to shoot better. Is it a 50/50 proposition for most teams or does our staff need a different approach? Noah was hyped up as the fix, but many of us were worried how effective he’d be in the B1G at 5-11. And he was in before Cam abandoned us.
Noah is around 36 to 37%, which is more than solid from 3. Not sure what else you were looking for.... were you expecting 45% and all B1G 1st team??

Noah is around 36 to 37%, which is more than solid from 3. Not sure what else you were looking for.... were you expecting 45% and all B1G 1st team??
I mean - by shooter, I’m pretty sure he didn’t mean only putting the ball in the basket from long range. I don’t think putting the ball through the net at least 40% of the time period is too much to ask as a prerequisite. Noah scores on 35.4% of his shots. That’s dreadful.

Reactions: darkcheck

I imagine that when Pike recruited Noah from the portal, the thinking was that Cam was also here and they would spread the floor creating more open looks. Also if Paul stayed, they would not have had to press JMike into this many minutes nor put the ball primarily in Simpson's hands (until JWill arrived). Lack of shooting from 3 also allows defenses to lag in which impacts Cliff. All about roster balance and the late transfers f'd things up at least IMO.

Good news is that it JWill, JMike, Gavin ( and even Simpson) stay for next season, they have much more experience and can add better support around Dylan and Ace who will likely be focal on Offense.

When Noah committed, I was juiced about the idea of spreading the floor with Cam and Noah at the guards, Gavin at the 3, and Mag/Cliff down low. Three guys that could be 38+% from deep was my hope/wish. Then it would be pick your poison on letting Cliff go one on one inside, or doubling down and maybe getting burned from deep when he kicks it back out.

Instead, Cam flew the coop, Gavin wasn't ready for B1G competition, and Noah's shortcomings (no pun intended) offset his few hot shooting games from deep. I think the Fernandes experience will have the staff a little hesitant on targeting guys with smaller frames in the portal this year.

Two local guys who are freshman shooters at Atlantic 10 schools deserve a look. Both have cool names too.

Xzayvier Brown, St. Joseph's - 2pt 48%, 3pt 44%, FT 80%
Cam Estevez, Rhode Island - 2 pt 42%, 3pt 42%, FT 77%

Xzayvier is from Philadelphia and Cam is from Harlem.

Both were 3 star recruits without a lot of offers.

Xzayvier and Cam faced above average strength of schedules this year. Xzayvier and Cam could be ready for B1G competition next season. They are several inches taller than Noah, but are not big guards like Paul and Gavin.

That's where people took his expectations when they started trying to consider him a replacement shooter for Cam. Noah has actually been a little better than I expecting.

That's where people took his expectations when they started trying to consider him a replacement shooter for Cam. Noah has actually been a little better than I expecting.
He had two B1G games with more than 2 treys. And he only had two more with two. That’s four out of 19. I guess I expected better.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
He had two B1G games with more than 2 treys. And he only had two more with two. That’s four out of 19. I guess I expected better.
Many people started to for some reason. He is like 5.9 and was coming from a lower level where he was good, not great. That doesn't usually lead to an uptick in production at a higher level.

Many people started to for some reason. He is like 5.9 and was coming from a lower level where he was good, not great. That doesn't usually lead to an uptick in production at a higher level.
Exactly my point. He was out shooter from the portal plan for last year. Is the talent eval process flawed and might we get the same this year?

This is one reason why FTs are so important to me when it comes to evaluating shooting. It takes speed, height, defensive matchups, etc. completely out of the equation, and isolates the main topic at hand. If you can't make FTs, I'm not going to trust you to make anything else.

Shooter is available ???

shooter GIF

This is one reason why FTs are so important to me when it comes to evaluating shooting. It takes speed, height, defensive matchups, etc. completely out of the equation, and isolates the main topic at hand. If you can't make FTs, I'm not going to trust you to make anything else.

It's the only reason why I maintain hope for Simpson.

I imagine that when Pike recruited Noah from the portal, the thinking was that Cam was also here and they would spread the floor creating more open looks. Also if Paul stayed, they would not have had to press JMike into this many minutes nor put the ball primarily in Simpson's hands (until JWill arrived). Lack of shooting from 3 also allows defenses to lag in which impacts Cliff. All about roster balance and the late transfers f'd things up at least IMO.

Good news is that it JWill, JMike, Gavin ( and even Simpson) stay for next season, they have much more experience and can add better support around Dylan and Ace who will likely be focal on Offense.
When we recruited Noah I was thinking: he will be a fine reserve for 8 mins a game.

He might be the biggest gap between excellent FT and terrible FG in the history of the sport... I'm serious lol. It's crazy how wide of a gap it is and it doesn't make sense
Since 2008 there have been 13 season of 85% or better FT% and 36% or worse eFG% (playing 40% or more of their team's minutes).

But if you set the minimum free throw attempts to 50, there are only two seasons.

Take a bow, Nate Zastow of the 2010 North Dakota State Bison. 90% at the stripe (59-65) and 35.2% eFG%, mainly because of a 15-68 (22.1%) performance on two pointers.

Simpson is at 86% from the line (59-65) and a 35.3% eFG%.

He was a depth piece though at the time, not the only shooter planned

Since 2008 there have been 13 season of 85% or better FT% and 36% or worse eFG% (playing 40% or more of their team's minutes).

But if you set the minimum free throw attempts to 50, there are only two seasons.

Take a bow, Nate Zastow of the 2010 North Dakota State Bison. 90% at the stripe (59-65) and 35.2% eFG%, mainly because of a 15-68 (22.1%) performance on two pointers.

Simpson is at 86% from the line (59-65) and a 35.3% eFG%.
Thanks for looking this up. Makes sense Simpson would be basically the highest

Zastow was a freshman that year and finished his career as a 30% FG shooter for those wondering if the high FT percentage eventually translated to better FG %.... it didn't

Thanks for looking this up. Makes sense Simpson would be basically the highest

Zastow was a freshman that year and finished his career as a 30% FG shooter for those wondering if the high FT percentage eventually translated to better FG %.... it didn't
You read my mind Scangg

Reactions: Scangg
Pike is clueless. I cdd as n get my 12 year old grandson son to pick one better than pike.

Someone going shopping for apples doesnt come home with cheese Instead. Pike mostly recruits length and top athletes matching our defensIve identity. That his philosophy. Offense isnt the m.o., same as Schiano. Simpson, Davis, JWill, AWill…all weak shooters.

Spencer is 6”4”. I’m sure Pike was as surprised at his scoring talent as we all were. Noah is the outlier. The recruited shooter. Some days he delivered, some not.

Someone going shopping for apples doesnt come home with cheese Instead. Pike mostly recruits length and top athletes matching our defensIve identity. That his philosophy. Offense isnt the m.o., same as Schiano. Simpson, Davis, JWill, AWill…all weak shooters.

Spencer is 6”4”. I’m sure Pike was as surprised at his scoring talent as we all were. Noah is the outlier. The recruited shooter. Some days he delivered, some not.
Spencer was 100% brought in as a shooter with everyone fearing that he wasn't athletic enough to drive or play D.

Gohlke on Oakland just went 10-20 from 3 tonight.
He played 36min off the bench.

That is more than Davis (8/36 22% in 26 games) and JWill (5/24 20% in 12 games) had ALL SEASON.

This is why I keep saying we need to explore a starter level 3pt shooting guard transfer and not default to a bench 3rd guard who won't be on the court most of the game.

We need a shooter who will be on the court at the end of the game.

Gohlke on Oakland just went 10-20 from 3 tonight.
He played 36min off the bench.

That is more than Davis (8/36 22% in 26 games) and JWill (5/24 20% in 12 games) had ALL SEASON.

This is why I keep saying we need to explore a starter level 3pt shooting guard transfer and not default to a bench 3rd guard who won't be on the court most of the game.

We need a shooter who will be on the court at the end of the game.

Okay - but just for the record, that kid is not a BIG player. He does nothing other than shoot 3s. 37% from the floor. 37.5% from 3 before last night is nice but the team plays Zone D for a reason. A kid like him wouldn’t fit for what we need either honestly. Yeah hats off - he had an insane game.

But so much of that has come in like 3 games. Most games he’s not a reliable option.
Rutgers doesn't run a half court offense that creates open 3 point shots.Noah also was a small guard making it hard to create and make shots off the dribble.

This season Gohlke only attempted 9 2pt shots (none yesterday). Counting yesterday, he attempted 347 3 pt shots.

Kampe the head coach there for 40 years. Got to feel good for the guy getting this win.

Reactions: Fat Koko
But so much of that has come in like 3 games. Most games he’s not a reliable option.

That's not how it works lol, if you take out anyone's good games they will look.. not good. Noah's problems were not his three point shooting percentage.

Also, Jesus, how do you find a way to be so negative about literally everything? It's exhuausting.

That's not how it works lol, if you take out anyone's good games they will look.. not good. Noah's problems were not his three point shooting percentage.

Also, Jesus, how do you find a way to be so negative about literally everything? It's exhuausting.
While I am too negative there I was just stating facts. But you’re right, Noah was a Rutgers hall of famer.

Just posted in another thread how good Pike is at coaching D. So it’s not “literally everything”. Seems to me you’re always looking to pick a fight, literally all the time.

While I am too negative there I was just stating facts. But you’re right, Noah was a Rutgers hall of famer.
“Stating facts” is complete cop out bullshit and you know it.

Noah did not work out for us but he shot 36% from three so that was not the issue. The “fact” that he shot badly if you take out the good games is technically true but also ****ing stupid.

Okay - but just for the record, that kid is not a BIG player. He does nothing other than shoot 3s. 37% from the floor. 37.5% from 3 before last night is nice but the team plays Zone D for a reason. A kid like him wouldn’t fit for what we need either honestly. Yeah hats off - he had an insane game.
The point of his post was not to say we need to get a Gohlke type. It was to shine a light on how bad some of our players (Davis and JWill) shot the ball and that an upgrade should be priority number one in the portal. Bringing in a starting level guard who can shoot the ball should be the goal. What a great problem to have if we were able to bring in a two guard that was good enough to bump JWill to coming off the bench as sixth man. These type of players exist, issue is can we get them here next year……will be an interesting offseason. JWill feels like a slashing, defensive minded third guard if you start three guards or a high energy sixth man who brings scoring and runs the offense when starters leave the game off the bench. He is definitely not a traditional, shooting two guard in the sense of being a threat at the three point line. Neither is JMike. Let’s get a guy or two of them here who are threats at the 3 point line and JWill and JMike would make for great parts of a high energy, pressing defensive unit that we could hit teams with a whole different defensive look every game. My hope is we get a quality guard or two who can shoot and Pike will likely have 3 guards on the floor a lot. MSU does this with Walker, Hoggard and Akins.

Reactions: NickRU714

I’ll work on being more positive. Do love most of your stuff though fluoxetine. Have a good weekend!

Reactions: FastMJ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT