ADVERTISEMENT

Personnel Moves

darkcheck

Junior
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2022
I'm going to take a shot at this, my wish list for each scholarship spot for the off-season. All are my opinion only and are not the opinion of my wife or the rest of my family who have written me off as abrasive and eccentric many moons ago. If you agree, great. If you want to laugh, I'm glad I could entertain you. Better yet, if you want to tweak and add your own thoughts lets get this discussion started. Also, I know none of us are on staff and this probably falls on deaf ears, but we're all in this together so have fun with it:

Simpson - my first wish, don't ever change your attitude. This kid cares, and hustles. As for an on-the-court wish, work with the staff on drive-dribble-DISH more and keep improving your rebounding because its been spectacular at times this year. Shoot less, be your part of the puzzle.

Davis - learn to play under control. You've out played your recruiting stars, you have B1G talent, don't try to do too much. Work your butt off and become a key, rotational player (possible starter) veteran

Fernandes - spot becomes HARPER'S

Mag - my wish, do more training and PT, get your confidence and swagger back and put your health concerns behind you

Hyatt - spot becomes BAILEY'S

Palmquist - its part of D1 basketball, needs THE talk, again. He's a great kid, high character, but enough time has passed to know he's not a B1G player. Sadly we all found out just over a year ago (Mag's injury and the resulting NCAA snub) that a high major team has no room on its roster for just "program" kids. He would do well at a lower level.

Griffiths - Hit the weight room and shoot, shoot, shoot. Just don't work on shooting right after lifting, LOL, might further erode your confidence and that's what we have to get back.

Omoruyi - I know, here comes the laughs, shoot more treys. Shooting is a learned skill. Would I rather have a player with God-given talent to shoot, a real sniper? Sure. Would I want one of those at the 4 or 5, wow, even better. But it can be learned and will take time. I'm not sure what Cliff was told to work on last year offensively but it didn't pay off. I imagine it was more back to the basket stuff, footwork, etc. It didn't take. He still posts up 12' from the hole. He looks lost in space. But nothing better to add to his pick and roll game than a pop. His % might not be great, but the roof would blow off the RAC when he hits a trey. Even if he could get to the mid 20%s, that's what some of our sharpshooters shoot now. Even a natural shooter can go off the rails without confidence. There's many facets to being a good shooter, and at this point if Cliff can become a semi-decent learned shooter I'll take the pop. You know he'll have open looks.

Woolfolk - needs the TALK. He didn't improve from last year, and at this level that's required. He's not really a 5, not really a forward, could do well at a lower level. Need his scholarship for SOMMERVILLE

Ogbole - my wish, skill training to improve his hands. Not joking, another skill that can be improved. He hasn't been in the system as long as Wolf so I think he has more upside. And granted, we want to become more up tempo. Maybe Wolf can run better but every once in a while you need a banger. Toughness. He and Sommerville can man the C for a couple years after Cliff.

A. Williams - spot for GRANT

J. Williams - SEIZE THE LEADERSHIP ROLE! That's my wish. Work on your game but be THE captain.

Chol - I would have liked to see what he has but the fact that we haven't, even through this awful season, tells me he's not a high major player and needs THE talk. This would give us one one scholarship opening for the portal and I say we get a shooter, period. If Cliff doesn't return use his spot for a portal C, but for this open spot get someone who can hit the three. The game is built around shooting and the bonus from the arc.

Of course, I wish the team could become an 85% FT shooting team, so there's that wish.

And I hope Pike and the staff do a little self-reflection and change some (not all) of their ways.

Many thanks for reading, be kind. Go Knights!

Shamelessly bumping this because I was really hoping to drive dialogue and get all your wish list items for each player and your personnel thoughts. Thanks.

Reactions: cshelley
If one of the issues for this season is players not knowing how to play together (with the benefit of early practice and overseas trip), next year will be worse.

5 new Freshman (at two that will be starters)
Plus potentially a transfer or two?

Half the roster will be brand new.
And maybe half the starting lineup.

you arent getting a lot of responses because it is a touchy topic...many are not comfortable or think it is appropriate to post their true feelings.
Agreed. Though I think it’s fair discussion — visit the boards of big-time programs and they don’t shy away from this type of discourse

Reality is Woolf / Chol are not Big Ten players — that at this point is abundantly clear, need to be shown the door

Palm has given us four years and by all accounts is a great teammate / locker room guy and has hit some big shots before. That said, he’s not the type of guy you grant a 5th year to. Better off searching for a higher impact transfer

Agree that a proven shooter is priority #1. Spacing will be key next year to get the most out of Harper / Bailey and Griffiths cannot be relied upon as the only supposed shooter on the roster.

Cliff’s return is huge to the ceiling of the team. For as many gripes as us fans have about his lack of offensive development, you can’t underestimate the presence of his rim protection. Will be huge, especially as the freshman get acclimated to Pike’s defensive scheme. We won’t be forced to play thru Cliff in the post at all either, should be able to get plenty of easy buckets off dump-offs and put-backs. But yes, if he leaves we need a proven commodity at the 5. Ogbole is nothing more than a backup and as others have said, Sommerville cannot be relied upon as a Big Ten starting center from day 1

If we do add a shooter / guard in the portal, I do wonder how Simpson / Davis react as it would create quite the logjam at the position

Reactions: rubigtimenow
If one of the issues for this season is players not knowing how to play together (with the benefit of early practice and overseas trip), next year will be worse.

5 new Freshman (at two that will be starters)
Plus potentially a transfer or two?

Half the roster will be brand new.
And maybe half the starting lineup.
Talent above all else is the issue this year, not sure it has much to do with guys not knowing how to play together. Our offense would be showing gradual improvement by now if that was the issue

Agreed. Though I think it’s fair discussion — visit the boards of big-time programs and they don’t shy away from this type of discourse

Reality is Woolf / Chol are not Big Ten players — that at this point is abundantly clear, need to be shown the door

Palm has given us four years and by all accounts is a great teammate / locker room guy and has hit some big shots before. That said, he’s not the type of guy you grant a 5th year to. Better off searching for a higher impact transfer

Agree that a proven shooter is priority #1. Spacing will be key next year to get the most out of Harper / Bailey and Griffiths cannot be relied upon as the only supposed shooter on the roster.

Cliff’s return is huge to the ceiling of the team. For as many gripes as us fans have about his lack of offensive development, you can’t underestimate the presence of his rim protection. Will be huge, especially as the freshman get acclimated to Pike’s defensive scheme. We won’t be forced to play thru Cliff in the post at all either, should be able to get plenty of easy buckets off dump-offs and put-backs. But yes, if he leaves we need a proven commodity at the 5. Ogbole is nothing more than a backup and as others have said, Sommerville cannot be relied upon as a Big Ten starting center from day 1

If we do add a shooter / guard in the portal, I do wonder how Simpson / Davis react as it would create quite the logjam at the position
Should I take it down? I was only looking for a discussion, don’t want to harm the program. I have no problem being honest even if it means I have to eat crow later. I was only trying to do this in a positive fashion, complementing where I could and stating areas of improvement. The whole roster is D1 talent but some might not be high major talent. That’s not negative it’s just an observation. Putting anyone in a position where they can’t be successful isn’t good for anyone.

Reactions: Bayonnebomber79
If Cliff comes back, then more people beyond Oskar, Wolf and Chol need the talk imo. It’s not going to happen, but I think it needs to be Ogbole or Simpson.

We’d only have one portal spot open, and I think we need a Mark Sears type of proven 3PT/distributing point guard and a backup 4/5.

Of course, this convo is a bit premature I think as we don’t really know how the portal will impact our own roster

Reactions: darkcheck
Should I take it down? I was only looking for a discussion, don’t want to harm the program. I have no problem being honest even if it means I have to eat crow later. I was only trying to do this in a positive fashion, complementing where I could and stating areas of improvement. The whole roster is D1 talent but some might not be high major talent. That’s not negative it’s just an observation. Putting anyone in a position where they can’t be successful isn’t good for anyone.
I personally think it’s a more than fair discussion and I don’t think you’re going about it the wrong way. Just think there’s some hesitancy to partake by certain fans

Bring Palmquist back. Redshirt Dortch. Portal big if Cliff doesn't return. Gavin and Simpson need to lock in this summer. We are not Kansas - where a attractive wing, will transfer to us for a rotation role. Ain't happening

After the last couple games lol I am back to my original opinion that the coaches need to hit the transfer portal hard this off-season. An experienced guard a experienced big man if cliff leaves and a 3 and d 6- 5-6-8 wing if mag leaves.
Id like to see a starting 5 of Jeremiah Williams, Harper, Bailey, transfer wing or mag, transfer big or cliff....

After the last couple games lol I am back to my original opinion that the coaches need to hit the transfer portal hard this off-season. An experienced guard a experienced big man if cliff leaves and a 3 and d 6- 5-6-8 wing if mag leaves.
Id like to see a starting 5 of Jeremiah Williams, Harper, Bailey, transfer wing or mag, transfer big or cliff....
Feels weird saying but I really think Jeremiah needs to come off the bench next year. Unless that wing is a greatly improved griffiths or a Jamison Battle type from the portal, that lineup has no proven shooting

Reactions: Jerseylegends
I personally think it’s a more than fair discussion and I don’t think you’re going about it the wrong way. Just think there’s some hesitancy to partake by certain fans
Understood. Thanks! I see so many negative criticisms on the boards, I mean down right nasty and uncalled for. I really didn’t think this was inappropriate. I was honestly trying to have this discussion in a positive framework. We have to keep moving forward right?

Feels weird saying but I really think Jeremiah needs to come off the bench next year. Unless that wing is a greatly improved griffiths or a Jamison Battle type from the portal, that lineup has no proven shooting
Kind of agree, guess I was giving Williams's shot too much credit. I trust him to make an open 3. Don't know if he's earned that trust yet..

Kind of agree, guess I was giving Williams's shot too much credit. I trust him to make an open 3. Don't know if he's earned that trust yet..
Yea he’s taken 98 attempts in 35 career games (2.8 per) at 26.5%. Pair him with Cliff/Mag, and if Ace and Dylan aren’t both immediately 36%+ 3PT shooters were quickly in real trouble

Why would we redshirt Dortch?

not gonna happen. does any team redshirt anyone anymore? back when Myles redshirted that was very rare. NOW? its a totally different environmenta Myles redshirting might as well be the ice age.

regarding Cliff - some have foolishly said we should move on. it's absurd. Its 100% familiarity bias. We know him too well and those that say we should move on are dwelling WAAAAY to much on his shortcomings.

Think of it this way: put Cliff in another school's jersey, say he's in the portal next year and RU is one of his finalists....

an experienced, hyper-athletic thunderous-dunking big man, who changes shots and is one of (if not THE) leading shot blockers in the country.

considering all the youth coming next year and the uncertainty that comes with it ..... we would be ABSOLUTELY DROOLING over a kid like Cliff in the portal. We would all be out-of-our-minds if we got a Cliff-clone.

the people downplaying his importance, frankly are just stupid

he would be a HUGE asset next year. with more scoring options I think he could be used more for what he excels at - dunks-off-assists and put backs with ZERO need for him to EVER create anything. that with his paint presence. important. very very important.

if there is ANY chance Cliff is considering coming back then his "recruitment" is one of the most important things for next year. VERY little chance we're gonna get a transfer that will contribute what he will next year. retaining him (IF ITS EVEN POSSIBLE) is huge.

Last edited:
Palmquist, Hyatt, Fernandes, and A. Williams graduate. We have 5 freshmen coming in plus maybe a shooter in the portal. Which means at least 2 guys have to leave via the portal! Chol and Wolf?

This is what I want to see for next year:

Starters:
Jwill
Harper
Bailey
Mag
Portal Center / Cliff

Bench:

Griffiths
Davis
Sommerville
Ogbole
Portal guard who can shoot

End of bench / limited minutes

Grant
Dortch
Palm (Fine keeping him as a locker room guy)

This is too big a year for some tough decisions not to be made. The biggest question is do we have enough NIL to retain who we want to keep and get 2 impact additions

Palmquist, Hyatt, Fernandes, and A. Williams graduate. We have 5 freshmen coming in plus maybe a shooter in the portal. Which means at least 2 guys have to leave via the portal! Chol and Wolf?

Palmquist has another year of eligibility.
Your outcome is the same - he would just need to be given the talk.

This is what I want to see for next year:

Starters:
Jwill
Harper
Bailey
Mag
Portal Center / Cliff

Bench:

Griffiths
Davis
Sommerville
Ogbole
Portal guard who can shoot

End of bench / limited minutes

Grant
Dortch
Palm (Fine keeping him as a locker room guy)

This is too big a year for some tough decisions not to be made. The biggest question is do we have enough NIL to retain who we want to keep and get 2 impact additions
Thanks for your reply. I love Derek. He leads the team in assists and steals per game. His energy and effort are spectacular. Have to make him more efficient and have him feel he can be less of the offense needed. But he’s a jersey guy and I hope to keep him.

Reactions: Unionst
People are assuming that Mag, Griffiths, Simpson, and JWilliams are all coming back. Would not be shocked if one of more winds up somewhere else. This is a different world now. Cliff is expected to be gone too. Pike might have his work cut out for him this portal season and unfortunately, there might have to be less “talks” than we hope.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
Why would we redshirt Dortch?

Nothing to do with Dortch (or Grant) but someone has to be the 11th, 12th and 13th guys on the bench.

Safe to assume any returning players plus any potential transfer would be ahead of them on the roster?

Serious question Re: Cliff….

The outside shot hasn’t worked.
The back to the basket play hasn’t worked….

Why wouldn’t he / can’t he develop a Euro?
Is it that he couldn’t get the gather step right? A footwork thing? An assumption about how it would be defended?

If he is best facing the rim he could dunk the damn thing from the top of the key by Euroing his way there….could he not?
Wouldn’t that be a relevant skill for NBA anyway?

Serious question Re: Cliff….

The outside shot hasn’t worked.
The back to the basket play hasn’t worked….

Why wouldn’t he / can’t he develop a Euro?
Is it that he couldn’t get the gather step right? A footwork thing? An assumption about how it would be defended?

If he is best facing the rim he could dunk the damn thing from the top of the key by Euroing his way there….could he not?
Wouldn’t that be a relevant skill for NBA anyway?
If he doesn’t have the footwork / balance for an effective postgame what would make you think he can develop a euro?

Also it’s not often you see 5’s with a euro, unless they’re stretch bigs who take guys off the dribble from outside the arc

The guy Griffiths is guarding beats him with the first step every time. Goes buy him like he wasn't there.
Coaches need to work with him---quickness, quickness, quickness drills. Footwork, footwork, footwork.

There’s nothing out of line about what you posted. I agree with most of it. Well thought out and I think it’s a solid blueprint for next year.

Thanks for your reply. I love Derek. He leads the team in assists and steals per game. His energy and effort are spectacular. Have to make him more efficient and have him feel he can be less of the offense needed. But he’s a jersey guy and I hope to keep him.
Agree I like Derek too and he brings a lot to the table. I do wonder if we can afford the poor shooting of both davis and Simpson which is why I left him off. At the same time we need to be able to replace him with someone better. Ultimately I think this will be the toughest call of the offseason

you arent getting a lot of responses because it is a touchy topic...many are not comfortable or think it is appropriate to post their true feelings.
He's not getting my replies because if I wanted to read written blogs I'd listen to them instead (Yogi?)

This applies to a couple of folks here. Say it in 200 words or less or I do not read.

He's not getting my replies because if I wanted to read written blogs I'd listen to them instead (Yogi?)

This applies to a couple of folks here. Say it in 200 words or less or I do not read.
That’s funny, I was RC90, they taught us how to read. Lol. I’m just busting. I understand, I’m rather long winded and I didn’t edit this one down.

Well then I guess it’s a good thing he has an entire off-season and non conference schedule between them and now.
Dortch is another - Palmquist, Reiber, Miller, Chol, Woolfolk.. Some of those guys might actually be better. Hes a project. Like we have serious roster issues if he's on the floor, over the next 2 years

If he doesn’t have the footwork / balance for an effective postgame what would make you think he can develop a euro?

Also it’s not often you see 5’s with a euro, unless they’re stretch bigs who take guys off the dribble from outside the arc

I was asking for the prevailing reason as to what’s stopping that. Sounds like your answer is footwork.

The reason I even asked was because it seemed like the movement more closely aligned with his natural abilities…being an athlete and not a basketball player. After the gather he would be bounding towards the hoop.

Dylan Harper, as good as he is, he isn’t a sharpshooter in the vein of Cam Spencer or any of the Iowa players. So we would need another shooter besides him and Ace.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT