ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin Going Forward

motel00

Junior
Mar 8, 2007
I don’t think anyone thought that Gavin would have the type of year that he has had. I think most of us were counting on him to average double digits, and be somewhat of a replacement for the loss of Cam Spencer.

I think part of Gavin‘s issues in terms of his scoring are related to the fact that he is trying to do too much. In high school, it was easy to shoot over the top of defenders. He clearly did not have to develop a step back he did not have to make athletic mid-air adjustments while shooting the ball. These attempts to do more than he is capable, have destroyed his confidence.

He could be a big part of this team’s success next year if goes back to basics..

Obviously, he has been working very hard on his defense and rebounding. On offense, if he can be a spot up shooter, who simply has to catch and shoot with his shoulders squared to the rim, I think you will see a huge turnaround. With the two scorers we have coming in, I anticipate that Gavin will get plenty of open shots in rhythm.

I had said we should be very happy if he approached double digits, not to expect it. Not surprised by his struggles, except for just how bad a shooter he has been.

Reactions: bIhawk
Agreed - common sense says the default assumption shouldn’t be to expect much from him. That doesn’t mean he can’t or won’t develop into a player that can have a big impact, but to assume (expect) that seems insane.

This year is the only collegiate level data we have on him. He’s a below average defender shooting around 31% from the floor and 25% from 3. Any silver lining on progress is grasping at straws for now.

If people keep saying it before every game, someone is going to be right. Maybe it will be you...
First time for me, it won’t take much. I did see signs he might have some skills. The only meaningful part left to the season is his progression.

I don’t think anyone thought that Gavin would have the type of year that he has had. I think most of us were counting on him to average double digits, and be somewhat of a replacement for the loss of Cam Spencer.

I think part of Gavin‘s issues in terms of his scoring are related to the fact that he is trying to do too much. In high school, it was easy to shoot over the top of defenders. He clearly did not have to develop a step back he did not have to make athletic mid-air adjustments while shooting the ball. These attempts to do more than he is capable, have destroyed his confidence.

He could be a big part of this team’s success next year if goes back to basics..

Obviously, he has been working very hard on his defense and rebounding. On offense, if he can be a spot up shooter, who simply has to catch and shoot with his shoulders squared to the rim, I think you will see a huge turnaround. With the two scorers we have coming in, I anticipate that Gavin will get plenty of open shots in rhythm.
Agreed and also the big thing is with one year in S and C program I think you will see a different Gavin but the big thing is he needs to get the confidence in his head the mental game; Richie still insists in practice he is lights out so its basically a confidence thing because like you say with Dylan and Ace there will be plenty of open looks

You would think that any open three point shots he has had the chance to take so far, he would have connected on more

I just don't see it as far as him being what we thought

But, we have to keep letting him get chances

Reactions: Saint Puppy
Shot selection is key for him. I feel like he has forced some contested shots which are low percentage for even good shooters.

I also think he needs to take advantage of his height for easy shots against smaller defenders.
This... plus his mechanics are bad. I know a couple of people have asked why we don't run plays for him coming off screens so that he get his shot off. We have done that albeit not much because he comes off screens and shoots while drifting left, right. or away from the basket. He does not square up and go up straight. You can't keep running these plays if he is going to do that.

Almost all good shooters have the ability to square up when they are shooting. Gavin certainly can do that. If you watch Gavin's HS clips, he is squaring up when he goes up most of the time. No drifting toward the direction where he was moving. I would bet that the coaches have seen this and worked on it with him, but for some reason it is not translating to game time action.

He certainly is night and day better on D than he was the first few games. He's getting rebounds and he is doing a better job of closing out on 3 point shooters. He still has that 1 time a game that he is caught basket watching instead of boxing out and allowing someone to get right by him inside for an easy putback.

Last edited:
Reactions: motel00
It’s hardly any of this. He doesn’t get the ball in good position to score. Same with Mag and usually Hyatt. That’s on the guards. Have you seen anything worse than Hyatt drives to the hoop ? Pay close attention to where Mag gets the ball, and how late in the clock…

Our guards look to score in the key first rather than create, forcing frontcourt players to the perimeter.

Said before, GG would thrive on UConn or Purdue where there aren’t selfish guards and everyone including Edey is a willing passer.

GG and Mag are afterthoughts. Bad fits with the guards we have.

We briefly saw GG as a 2 last game. He looked more active and engaged compared to the usual stand in the corner and watch approach our usual guards force him into.

Last edited:
It’s hardly any of this. He doesn’t get the ball in good position to score. Same with Mag and usually Hyatt. Have you seen anything worse than Hyatt drives to the hoop ?

Our guards look to score in the key first rather than create, forcing frontcourt players to the perimeter.

Said before, GG would thrive on UConn or Purdue where there aren’t selfish guards and everyone including Edey is a willing passer.

GG and Mag are afterthoughts. Bad fits with the guards we have.

We briefly saw GG as a 2 last game. He looked more active and engaged compared to the usual stand in the corner and watch approach our usual guards force him into.
Gavin would've been so much better with Paul. Watching the Ron game winner Purdue game replay on B1G Network last week made appreciate Paul more and the horn sets I used to hate. Paul could really orchestrate.

I didn’t like Paul at PG, but yes he was a much better passer than who we have now. The 3 main guards kill the chemistry and cohesion, JWill included.

GG would have been much better playing with Paul but I can only assume with this roster that Pike prefers a ‘beat your man 1 on 1’ system instead of a team offense.

You would think that any open three point shots he has had the chance to take so far, he would have connected on more

I just don't see it as far as him being what we thought

But, we have to keep letting him get chances
I think it's huge deal that he just hasn't been hitting his 3s - his confidence comes from that, and I think his whole game works off the defense seeing him as a 3 point threat - it just opens up his whole game. I really thought he was close to breaking out, but just never happened. Unfortunately he's looked lost a lot of the season - hopefully a reset of the lineup next year will reinvigorate him.

I like JWill. He is aggressive in looking to score, but does it under control. A very willing passer if help comes. He makes the right decision on a regular basis. Still shaking off some rust and needs some coaching on when to dump it off to a teammate (gives the ball to cliff in bad spots sometimes).

Jdavis and Derek get going too fast and out of control too often. Really annoys me the staff hasn't coached them up. It ain't rocket science.

I think JWill will be more efficient and effective next year when Dylan and Ace join. Has it been 2 years since JWill has played real games?

I like JWill. He is aggressive in looking to score, but does it under control. A very willing passer if help comes. He makes the right decision on a regular basis. Still shaking off some rust and needs some coaching on when to dump it off to a teammate (gives the ball to cliff in bad spots sometimes).

Jdavis and Derek get going too fast and out of control too often. Really annoys me the staff hasn't coached them up. It ain't rocket science.

I think JWill will be more efficient and effective next year when Dylan and Ace join. Has it been 2 years since JWill has played real games?
Davis is a freshman and already playing much more under control and efficient. He has shot 50% or better in 4 of the last 5 games

Davis did have some nice under-control drives against Michigan. That was good to see.

He also had a bunch of "what were you thinking" plays while dribbling up the court or driving. What was he thinking on the play where Simpson cleaned up the play with a dunk in the first half?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT