ADVERTISEMENT

Grad Transfer deadline May 1st

Pretty much every one of them should just enter the portal, no?

There’s no downside. At least not for a decent BIG man where there’d literally be almost no risk of not finding a landing spot and most likely having the option to rejoin their original team.

i don't think they'd all likely have the option to come back. others will be brought in while they are shopping for NIL and PT.

i don't think they'd all likely have the option to come back. others will be brought in while they are shopping for NIL and PT.
For the most part, top Tier Big men would be welcomed back in most places. Think we wouldn’t take Cliff back? We would in a second. It doesn’t make sense for them not to enter the portal to keep options open.

For the most part, top Tier Big men would be welcomed back in most places. Think we wouldn’t take Cliff back? We would in a second. It doesn’t make sense for them not to enter the portal to keep options open.
Am saying the spot may already be filled. Musical chairs. Cliff would only be welcomed back if Pike didn’t get a replacement.

A bird in the hand

Reactions: rubigtimenow

This eliminates the late Spencer / Mulcahy type of transfer. I think grad transfers that we’re looking to do something similar will now enter the portal shortly. Should create more big man options for us
Speculation on whether it helps us this year. But I still
like Pike’s approach this year - you’re either in or out. Can’t fudge around.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Glad they closed this loophole, but I can't help but wonder how this would have affected last season had it already been in place.

Glad they closed this loophole, but I can't help but wonder how this would have affected last season had it already been in place.

He would’ve entered the portal now and it would’ve meant perhaps his classes to complete his degree wouldn’t have been made as much of a cake walk. In reality, Cam is a good student so he would’ve done what he needed to do to finish the semester and graduate anyway. We wouldn’t have found a creative way to keep that from happening, because as previously stated, holding a player who doesn’t want to stay hostage is almost always a bad idea.

The only difference would’ve been that we would’ve had more time to find a better replacement.

As I understand it grad transfers are now incentivized to enter the portal prior to 5/1 regardless if they want to leave and can still leave whenever they want to later in the calendar year just to keep options open?

I could see this leading to more grad transfers going in the portal than the number that actual transfered post deadline last year if the players get advised correctly in the quick turnaround of the somewhat surprise release.

That coach is spot on.

It’s what I have been saying about NIL

When people were blaming Geo for NIL I just laughed…. Puhleaze. NIL was in the works long before Geo said a peep.

This mess is 1000% on the NCAA for putting their heads in the sand for YEARS, refusing to deal with the issue, and leaving it to the court to force them.

That coach is spot on.

It’s what I have been saying about NIL

When people were blaming Geo for NIL I just laughed…. Puhleaze. NIL was in the works long before Geo said a peep.

This mess is 1000% on the NCAA for putting their heads in the sand for YEARS, refusing to deal with the issue, and leaving it to the court to force them.
The problem is getting rid of the sit out year for undergrad transfers. And a bit of the extra covid year (and schools mastering the academic eligibility game) vastly expanding the pool of grad transfers. Take those away and the transfer wave would be minimal even with NIL inducements.

Pay the players a fixed percentage of the gate instead of NIL for the larger p5 schools. Find an average seat capacity and find an average ticket price and use that number to determine what every school will garner for their bankroll. Fans ultimately will pay more to see the end result. If fans reject the idea and cut back, players will get less money or nothing at all.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
As I understand it grad transfers are now incentivized to enter the portal prior to 5/1 regardless if they want to leave and can still leave whenever they want to later in the calendar year just to keep options open?

I could see this leading to more grad transfers going in the portal than the number that actual transfered post deadline last year if the players get advised correctly in the quick turnaround of the somewhat surprise release.
Agreed. There is no reason not to enter the transfer portal to keep your options open.

Agreed. There is no reason not to enter the transfer portal to keep your options open.
Your team can drop you.
If you say that you’re staying but you enter the portal, that doesn’t seem like you’re committed.
Probably other reasons too, right?

Reactions: RRRRUUUU
Your team can drop you.
If you say that you’re staying but you enter the portal, that doesn’t seem like you’re committed.
Probably other reasons too, right?
If your a kid like Cliff, you know there are only like 5 comparable guys like you available in the whole country. Some teams have many open roster spots at this point. A BIG on one of those teams isn’t going to worry about losing his spot.

Pay the players a fixed percentage of the gate instead of NIL for the larger p5 schools. Find an average seat capacity and find an average ticket price and use that number to determine what every school will garner for their bankroll. Fans ultimately will pay more to see the end result. If fans reject the idea and cut back, players will get less money or nothing at all.
You have Law in your handle but seemingly have no understanding of the law. Sharing revenues with the players and NIL are completely separate issues. Schools can decide to give a revenue share to players, but will not have the right or ability to limit players NIL based on the Supreme Court ruling.

I like this idea. They would get paid based on who wants to see them and not how many sugar daddy's are needed to buy a team.
You have Law in your handle but seemingly have no understanding of the law. Sharing revenues with the players and NIL are completely separate issues. Schools can decide to give a revenue share to players, but will not have the right or ability to limit players NIL based on the Supreme Court ruling.
My take on his response was it had nothing to do with the understanding of any laws, but was a proposal of sorts to get money in the hands of the players based on how many people want to see them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT