ADVERTISEMENT

Grad Transfer Rules - Is there even a deadline?

NickRU714

Heisman Winner
Aug 18, 2009
Regardless of how you feel about Spencer leaving, I think we can all agree the timing is something that should probably be addressed.

Why don't "grad transfers" have to adhere to the same transfer deadlines?
They no longer have special status of "immediately eligible" since everyone can transfer and be "immediately eligible".
I would question why they even had special status in the first place but that's moot now.

Is there really no deadline for grad transfers?
Could a player transfer in August and be eligible immediately in September (football) or November (basketball)?

This seems crazy.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
If you earn your degree you can leave. Why would you be forced to stay

Not saying force them to stay. Let them transfer all they want.
Just wondering why there isn't a deadline to transfer.
Everyone else has a deadline to enter the transfer portal.

Why don't "grad transfers"?
They can literally transfer up until the day before football practice starts?
Or up until they enroll in classes?

Not saying force them to stay. Let them transfer all they want.
Just wondering why there isn't a deadline to transfer.
Everyone else has a deadline to enter the transfer portal.

Why don't "grad transfers"?
They can literally transfer up until the day before football practice starts?
Or up until they enroll in classes?
Yes they can, because they have graduated, they have fulfilled their commitment to their school.

Isn't "grad transfer" kind of a misnomer. Are they really transferring anywhere or enrolling in grad school.
Be it at the same university they did their undergrad or a different university?

I would imagine we have a good amount of grad transfers and this late defection problem (not just at RU) next year as well, but the 24-25 season should flush out most of the automatic 5th year of eligibility players. I'm guessing some medical redshirts in there but should significantly reduce how often this becomes a problem after next year.

Think of them in the same way as a HS or JC grad, who can wait until the Fall to commit and enroll. It’s the same for a college grad enrolling in grad school.

My guess is that the reason is that graduate schools often admit late, and a kid can't be a grad transfer unless admitted by a grad school.

If they have a portal window for undergrads they could have one for grad transfers.

Maybe within 10 days of graduation.

Reactions: Visengoth
Yes they can, because they have graduated, they have fulfilled their commitment to their school.

But I imagine a kid like Spencer had also accepted admission to a grad program at Rutgers already, which in my book is the same as agreeing to a new commitment. Why is it different from Gavin’s commitment, as an example? Should Gavin be allowed to decommit in August without penalty?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I wonder if someone like Spencer could transfer to a new school in June, then transfer back to his original school for September if he changes his mind.

But I imagine a kid like Spencer had also accepted admission to a grad program at Rutgers already, which in my book is the same as agreeing to a new commitment. Why is it different from Gavin’s commitment, as an example? Should Gavin be allowed to decommit in August without penalty?

I wouldn’t be surprised if all of this leads to student-athletes having to sign renewable LOIs.

Reactions: rurichdog
If they have a portal window for undergrads they could have one for grad transfers.

Maybe within 10 days of graduation.
Some grad transfers announce their intent to enter the transfer portal during football season before the semester ends, well before graduation.

This is a pretty big name to enter late as grad transfer.

Googled around a bit for any connection to RU and got this. Tyler Burton was coached in AAU Mass Rivals Gold, by Scott Hazelton who played 3yrs at UConn(redshirt) and last 2 at URI. URI, coach by Jim Baron, lost all three games to GWU coached by Karl Hobbs and leading scorer TJ Thompson in his junior and senior year, unsure of any connection beyond that.

You're forgetting that wanting to impose any sort of rules on player movement makes you a bad guy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT