ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Ruining College Game. 2 Fixes.

Good-Knight

All Conference
Jul 21, 2008
My favorite part of college basketball is to see a coach work with players individually and collectively and getting the best out of them. That is why I am a huge Pike fan. Investing time and effort on projects and anyone outside of that year's core has become a fool's errand in the age of the transfer portal. The result skews the game to more athleticism but less development, less strategy. Unglamorous supporting roles and defense suffer, when you can transfer and just do the fun stuff. For good, a Bobby Knight can't terrorize teenagers. For bad, a Bobby Knight can't get young men to work harder than they thought they would ever want to. Ballers who don't shop themselves to the highest bidder are leaving money on the table. Most can't afford to do that.

You can't just put the genie back in the bottle. Politically NIL is here to stay. The truth is that it often just brings above the table what was hidden from view. It encumbers the NCAA with 'restraint of trade' when it tries to reign in transfers' ability to chase the highest dollar. I think there are a couple of fairly extreme measure that would restore the college game to something that would bring coaching back to the fore. The sea change of NIL, Portal requires a dramatic response.

1. Transfers must be admitted to new schools purely on academic basis (without reference to athletics) through the same protocol for any student applying for transfer. Once academically accepted transfers can qualify for scholarships and NIL.

2. Freshman ineligible. This will weed out a significant percentage pf the athletes going to college who do not value the education. They will have better options and the college game will be restored to having real student athletes who actually appreciate the chance to earn a degree.

Changes like one of these would improve the game and produce more players more connected to their schools and coaches more connected to their players.

I generally like this and agree there's no way to, "undo," NIL. That being said, I'm not sure how your #1 would be enforceable. College admissions, even for non-athletes, always has had some amount of non academic metric based considerations.

Regarding #2, I like it, but what really needs to happen to make that work is removing the requirements to spend time in college before going pro (1 year for basketball and the 3 years for football). This would take away a very small amount of high-end talent from the college game, but you'd be left with teams that stick together longer on average. Obviously I don't recommend this idea until Ace and Dylan move on from Rutgers...

Make freshman ineligible on the eve of Rutgers getting 2 of the top 3 freshman and hopefully will be involved for elite future recruits.

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

I would add one more thing. Should a player transfer, the prior scholarship should be repaid.

Do people really want Dean Reiber and Jalen Miller back on the roster?
Reibs? Yes. I followed him since senior year in high school. He gave me a very uneasy feeling whenever he was on the court, but to me he was a Scarlet Knight and I pulled for him. Miller is the tough case. Player thinks coaches don't recognize his talents (if you've ever coached....) shouldn't that player be able to transfer freely? I'm going to say, that the tradition of college basketball says no and changing that to yes has hurt the game.

My rule for football is every transfer you accept you are penalized one scholarship for that year.

So for example: you take in 5 scholarship transfers you can only have 80 on scholarship that coming fall.

It would make teams much more picky with taking transfers. Maybe for hoops every 2 transfers you took in you lost 1 scholarship.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
I would add one more thing. Should a player transfer, the prior scholarship should be repaid.
Naive thought, that cost (a year's tuition) is far less than what you would be required to pay the player for their services. Because your recommendation isn't happening without players being paid a salary.

Was this a throwback post to the 1940's? This is some serious old school thought. Freshmen ineligible? That would be challenged in court nowadays.

Do you want any restrictions on coaches? Coach Pike is putting his house on the market as soon as Kentucky calls. That’s how life works. If a coach can do that, I don’t see why a player can’t.
When did we start equating coaches and players? Players will have every opportunity to become coaches when their playing days are over. If you make it to the top of the coaching profession, the compensation is high. It’s the same for Div-1 athletes.

Why? it’s the new way 5-6-7- or more years in order to obtain a degree in recreational administration or some other unusable subject.Now there are many smart students who play sports.That is to their credit and as such should be rewarded by the institutions they attend. But with all the tutors and handpicked class instructors now you must be a completed idiot not to get a sheepskin .

My solution would be break down Division I in to Tiers (Power 5 or 6, mid-major, low-major). You can freely transfer, but if you make a lateral transfer (within your Tier), then your NIL payments are capped for the first year at your new school (either no more than what you just made, or maybe no more than a 20% bump something like that). Transfers up or down a tier would have no cap

They have no answers to this now. These players will take them to court again and more than likely get more goodies.

My rule for football is every transfer you accept you are penalized one scholarship for that year.

So for example: you take in 5 scholarship transfers you can only have 80 on scholarship that coming fall.

It would make teams much more picky with taking transfers. Maybe for hoops every 2 transfers you took in you lost 1 scholarship.
So you would reduce the number of opportunities for athletes to earn scholarships? What if a player wants to drop down a level to be able to see the field? This is a worse idea than the OP’s and they were terrible.

Last edited:
My favorite part of college basketball is to see a coach work with players individually and collectively and getting the best out of them. That is why I am a huge Pike fan. Investing time and effort on projects and anyone outside of that year's core has become a fool's errand in the age of the transfer portal. The result skews the game to more athleticism but less development, less strategy. Unglamorous supporting roles and defense suffer, when you can transfer and just do the fun stuff. For good, a Bobby Knight can't terrorize teenagers. For bad, a Bobby Knight can't get young men to work harder than they thought they would ever want to. Ballers who don't shop themselves to the highest bidder are leaving money on the table. Most can't afford to do that.

You can't just put the genie back in the bottle. Politically NIL is here to stay. The truth is that it often just brings above the table what was hidden from view. It encumbers the NCAA with 'restraint of trade' when it tries to reign in transfers' ability to chase the highest dollar. I think there are a couple of fairly extreme measure that would restore the college game to something that would bring coaching back to the fore. The sea change of NIL, Portal requires a dramatic response.

1. Transfers must be admitted to new schools purely on academic basis (without reference to athletics) through the same protocol for any student applying for transfer. Once academically accepted transfers can qualify for scholarships and NIL.

2. Freshman ineligible. This will weed out a significant percentage pf the athletes going to college who do not value the education. They will have better options and the college game will be restored to having real student athletes who actually appreciate the chance to earn a degree.

Changes like one of these would improve the game and produce more players more connected to their schools and coaches more connected to their players.
#1 DOA
#2 DOA

Reactions: trotter
This is a pipe dream, if anything things are quickly moving in the other direction, with the DOJ and 11 state attorney generals suing the NCAA on federal antitrust grounds to end the one year sit out rule on 2nd transfers. Very soon you will have unlimited transfers with immediate eligibility.

#1 DOA
#2 DOA
Likely. It's meant more as a conversation starter. Equal Access, Restraint of Trade, the money involved and kowtowing to elite stars make it difficult to solve, but that doesn't change the fact that the current situation has college sports set on a declining course. Biz is being run by people looking to maximize quarterly return instead of preserving/enhancing the asset value.

So you would reduce the number of opportunities for athletes to earn scholarships? What if a player wants to drop down a level to be able to see the field? This is a worse idea than the OP’s and they were terrible.
Then don't run the risk of transferring? You can't want to be paid like a pro but not want the negatives from being a pro either.

how come we never hear about players flunking out anymore or being ineligible to play

hmmm
Probably because they don't stay long enough or the tutors are providing excellent assistance /monitoring to the athletes.

Then don't run the risk of transferring? You can't want to be paid like a pro but not want the negatives from being a pro either.

Transferring is a two way street.

Teams are just as excited to drop players and/or bring in better transfers.

No way coaches want to be stuck with recruiting misses or not able to immediately upgrade their roster.

When did we start equating coaches and players? Players will have every opportunity to become coaches when their playing days are over. If you make it to the top of the coaching profession, the compensation is high. It’s the same for Div-1 athletes.

Why would they not be compared? Coaches love to get on their high horse about loyalty, tough love, etc., yet any hot shot coach is gone the second a better opportunity comes. It’s just weird that people love to hate college athletes so much.

Why would they not be compared? Coaches love to get on their high horse about loyalty, tough love, etc., yet any hot shot coach is gone the second a better opportunity comes. It’s just weird that people love to hate college athletes so much.
Nobody hates the college athletes. Good for them that they can get paid and change schools. But climbing the coaching ladder and making it to the top of the coaching food chain is a little more difficult than participating (and maybe making a splash) in Div-1 athletics. Most Div-1 athletes don’t get a sniff at making a career out of it as high-level professional athletes. Enjoy the ride.

Coaches have contracts. Maybe the players need contracts with buy-out clauses.
Players have always had contracts, it's called the NLI. Why else would they need to sign an NLI if it wasn't a contract?

And just like coaches, that contract can now be invalidated whenever they have a better opportunity they want to pursue.

I think the unlimited transfer rule is one of the biggest disruptive culprits. No pro league has unlimited free agency because it is too destabilizing . The NCAA needs to put limits on transfers - maybe only 1 allowed in 4 years - or tie the acceptance of NIL to a set term of more than a year, Something reasonable to curb the revolving door would be better for the game and not unfair to the players.

Do you want any restrictions on coaches? Coach Pike is putting his house on the market as soon as Kentucky calls. That’s how life works. If a coach can do that, I don’t see why a player can’t.
Both head coaches from this years college football championship game have moved onto greener pastures.

I think the unlimited transfer rule is one of the biggest disruptive culprits. No pro league has unlimited free agency because it is too destabilizing . The NCAA needs to put limits on transfers - maybe only 1 allowed in 4 years - or tie the acceptance of NIL to a set term of more than a year, Something reasonable to curb the revolving door would be better for the game and not unfair to the players.
LOL, the NCAA was recently sued for its stance on multiple transfers and an injunction was issued preventing the NCAA from enforcing the rule.

The only way anything will be limited is if the players unionize and collective bargain. However, there is no incentive there because they are already being handed everything they want through the courts because of the decades of iron fist rule and greed by the NCAA and universities.

Players have always had contracts, it's called the NLI. Why else would they need to sign an NLI if it wasn't a contract?

And just like coaches, that contract can now be invalidated whenever they have a better opportunity they want to pursue.

So modify the contracts going forward and make it more punitive to leave. Or have NIL contracts and if you transfer one season after taking money you have to pay back a buyout amount.

Or just go the full way and give salary caps to each school and let them spend it how they see fit. Put the final nail in the amateur status coffin (it's dead already).

Reactions: Good-Knight
Let the kids transfer as many times as they want. No restraints on the court ordered rights there.

Limit the amount of transfers each school can take for a given sport on a rolling basis, in order to be eligible for post season play. Scale the rolling limit to roster size. For example, in basketball it could be if University XYZ takes more than 5 transfers in 3years, then you University XYZ is disqualified from the NCAA/NIT/Etc.. that year. More than 12(?) transfers in football and your program is ineligible for CFP.

This would be done under the pretense that schools that have that much turnover on their rosters are not focused on creating the best environment, opportunities and development in the players they are recruiting. They need to be more invested in committing to the players/SAs they brought in.

No rights issues. Everyone can transfer. Everyone can play. School just can't win a Natty, so they better make good decisions.

Wouldn't stop it, wouldn't be designed to. It would reduce demand and slow it down.

Reactions: Zak57
Never will happen. The NCAA is an entity that needs to go away . Do you honestly believe they care about the students post college? With the new era of less academic oversight their jobs are meaningless.

It's a blight. Transfers sit a year, except if the coach leaves. This nonsense has to stop with coaches having to recruit a high school kid for 2-3 years, then re-recruit him every year. Can't even coach a kid hard for fear of offending his delicate sensibilities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT