ADVERTISEMENT

5 transfers and counting…….

RAC93

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2023
Right now we have hit 5 transfers. Pike now has 3 spots available to pick up new portal players. If Oskar and Ogbole were to enter (starting to think they’re not entering as I am starting to think they would have entered by now) then that frees up two more spots. That would mean 5 spots available for new portal players. Personally I hope they both go in the portal as I want as much new blood and talent here as possible. Do you think Oskar and Ogbole enter portal or possible just one of them??? I am starting to lean No and both return (wish they would enter portal though).

Right now we have hit 5 transfers. Pike now has 3 spots available to pick up new portal players. If Oskar and Ogbole were to enter (starting to think they’re not entering as I am starting to think they would have entered by now) then that frees up two more spots. That would mean 5 spots available for new portal players. Personally I hope they both go in the portal as I want as much new blood and talent here as possible. Do you think Oskar and Ogbole enter portal or possible just one of them??? I am starting to lean No and both return (wish they would enter portal though).
You really think RU would get better players than them to be at the back of the bench and rarely play?

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Not sure the logic of wanting Ogbole to enter the portal as was mentioned by OP.

I see his limitations for sure, but he's big, strong, and sometimes you just need someone to get in there and throw a few fouls and wear down the opposing big and defend the rim physically if needed.

Just to be clear, the starting 5 is not on the roster as of this evening, Pike has to go get one, but Ogbole has value on this team next year.

You really think RU would get better players than them to be at the back of the bench and rarely play?
Yes, others may end up at the back of the bench, possibly D Grant, possibly Dortch, if we bring in 4 or 5 portal players (thinking it will be 4) they could be two starters and two players who come off the bench but are in the rotation. We can do better than Palm and Ogbole, sounds like Oskar is leaving already. But yes, we can do better. Rotation could be starters of Ace, Dylan, JWill, two portal players, bench rotation of two portal players, Lathan, Gavin, JMike, then Dortch, D Grant, if Ogbole goes then we have a 5th portal player for the bench rotation and likely Dortch and Grant are down the end of the bench. Or if they outperform others they mix in. Ogbole is not a critical piece for next season. If he’s here then he’s here, but if not then it’s an opportunity to add quality to the rotation.

Reactions: RUinParkRidge
the Oskar thing is no secret it was mentioned in the podcast. Hope he just makes it official very soon so then Pike can get on with it and get us 4 quality pieces.

Not sure the logic of wanting Ogbole to enter the portal as was mentioned by OP.

I see his limitations for sure, but he's big, strong, and sometimes you just need someone to get in there and throw a few fouls and wear down the opposing big and defend the rim physically if needed.

Just to be clear, the starting 5 is not on the roster as of this evening, Pike has to go get one, but Ogbole has value on this team next year.
The logic is he’s not very good and is a project. Let’s get someone here who is not a project and can mix into the rotation. Doesn’t have to a star player, just a guy who is better than Ogbole. That should not be very hard to do. If Ogbole is back then fine, but if he leaves no one should be too bothered by his departure.

the Oskar thing is no secret it was mentioned in the podcast. Hope he just makes it official very soon so then Pike can get on with it and get us 4 quality pieces.
Nah - at this point there’s no immediate rush. It’s going to take a while to fill the 3 spots we already have open.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
The logic is he’s not very good and is a project. Let’s get someone here who is not a project and can mix into the rotation. Doesn’t have to a star player, just a guy who is better than Ogbole. That should not be very hard to do. If Ogbole is back then fine, but if he leaves no one should be too bothered by his departure.
I disagree. He’s way better than Agee in my opinion. And that’s what I think we get to fill his spot. We’ll be able to bring in one quality BIG to replace Cliff. Hopefully. Not getting 2.

I disagree. He’s way better than Agee in my opinion. And that’s what I think we get to fill his spot. We’ll be able to bring in one quality BIG to replace Cliff. Hopefully. Not getting 2.
He’s big, that’s it…..he has no basketball abilities, no hands, no basketball instincts……Agee was awful, we can aim higher than the Agee’s and Ogbole’s of the world. If he’s here then so be it, plop him down the end of the bench and play him only in case of emergency. If he leaves then we have room for 5 portal players at any positions the staff chooses. They can place anyone they like at the end of the bench (Grant, Dortch, maybe it’s Gavin or JMike if we bring in enough quality players, who knows). Let’s think big and expand our horizons as this is a critical year.

He’s big, that’s it…..he has no basketball abilities, no hands, no basketball instincts……Agee was awful, we can aim higher than the Agee’s and Ogbole’s of the world. If he’s here then so be it, plop him down the end and play him only in case of emergency. If he leaves then we have room for 5 portal players at any positions the staff chooses. They can place anyone they like at the end of the bench (Grant, Dortch, maybe it’s Gavin or JMike if we bring in enough quality players, who knows). Let’s think big and expand our horizons as this is a critical year.
We’re going to have 3 centers when the dust settles. Let’s hope one is a proven veteran who will be penciled in to start. Somerville is the other one. I’m not sure what makes you think we’re going to land someone better than Agee level for that 3rd back up spot. Centers are a commodity in the portal. Ogbole was a nice surprise in my opinion. Way better than I expected considering he agreed to come behind wolf and Cliff.

He’s big, that’s it…..he has no basketball abilities, no hands, no basketball instincts……Agee was awful, we can aim higher than the Agee’s and Ogbole’s of the world. If he’s here then so be it, plop him down the end of the bench and play him only in case of emergency. If he leaves then we have room for 5 portal players at any positions the staff chooses. They can place anyone they like at the end of the bench (Grant, Dortch, maybe it’s Gavin or JMike if we bring in enough quality players, who knows). Let’s think big and expand our horizons as this is a critical year.

I largely agree. I don’t see it with Ogbole. But he’s an elite body so I’m fine if he sticks around as our 3rd 5.

Reactions: RAC93
Who would come to be a third string center?
If we get a starting big in portal, then a backup level big (could be a power forward/center hybrid who can play both spots) and then those two mix in with Somerville. As far as the three of them are concerned, the two best get the bulk of the minutes and the third guy mixes in. We need to think bigger, we’re not looking for a 3rd string center, we’re looking for players to complete the roster. Is Coleman Hawkins a Center? Not in the traditional sense, but he definitely played center. Are we getting a a guy as good as Hawkins? Probably not, but not every portal guy needs to be a star, we need experienced players who fill roster needs that provide ability and depth. If Pike has the freedom to get 5 players, the beauty of it is they can choose to get players at whatever positions they choose. Some may be multi-position players, like a power forward who can also play center or a small forward who can also play guard.

We need a stretch 4 already with Mag moving on. Then we have a few players in freshman who can play that spot also. Only so many minutes to go around and portal players want minutes

Reactions: Scangg
We need a stretch 4 already with Mag moving on. Then we have a few players in freshman who can play that spot also. Only so many minutes to go around and portal players want minutes
There will be a ton of players in the portal. Not all will be transferring to be starters, not enough spots for that to happen. Some are going to be rotational pieces that will come off the bench. Maybe Dortch and Grant as Freshman are the guys not seeing much of any minutes at all. Maybe Somerville plays but not significant minutes either as we may have experienced portal players getting more of the minutes. Who knows, let’s bring in a few pieces that can start and then bench pieces who can fulfill roles, bring the 13 scholarship players together and determine who the best 9 or 10 are for the rotation.

Yes, others may end up at the back of the bench, possibly D Grant, possibly Dortch, if we bring in 4 or 5 portal players (thinking it will be 4) they could be two starters and two players who come off the bench but are in the rotation. We can do better than Palm and Ogbole, sounds like Oskar is leaving already. But yes, we can do better. Rotation could be starters of Ace, Dylan, JWill, two portal players, bench rotation of two portal players, Lathan, Gavin, JMike, then Dortch, D Grant, if Ogbole goes then we have a 5th portal player for the bench rotation and likely Dortch and Grant are down the end of the bench. Or if they outperform others they mix in. Ogbole is not a critical piece for next season. If he’s here then he’s here, but if not then it’s an opportunity to add quality to the rotation.
Ogbole is exactly what you want in a 3rd string 5. A developmental player with upside who will be ok not playing a major role unless he makes a big leap in the off season

No one good is coming here to be a 3rd string 5. It's just simply not happening so forget about it

People need to be realistic and think about it from a player's perspective. No one good is transferring here and wanting to be the 12th 13th man. This is a completely fantasy. A few players need to be at the end of the bench and not in the main rotation

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT