ADVERTISEMENT

Is HC Pike really going to turn heel?

NickRU714

Heisman Winner
Aug 18, 2009
What if Mag, Simpson, Woolf and Ogbole all want to return?
Clif wants to enter the draft but potentially return like last year.
Oskar hangs around another year.

Is HC Pike really going to start forcing guys out of the program?
This isn't HC Sanders at Colorado or HC Pitino at St. John's coming in as a new HC and cleaning house.

This would be kicking out players he recruited.
Some who have started many games.

We're going to have 8, 9, 10 new players next year?
kevin nash wwe GIF

Reiber and Miller got the talk last year. As did Oskar, I think, until we had room for him again last minute.

Listen to his comments from last night, he is specifically talking about being aggressive in the portal and fixing our shooting issues.

The only way that happens is if people leave. I'm not worried

Reiber and Miller got the talk last year. As did Oskar, I think, until we had room for him again last minute.

Listen to his comments from last night, he is specifically talking about being aggressive in the portal and fixing our shooting issues.

The only way that happens is if people leave. I'm not worried
Action speaks louder than words.Fans should be worried that too many players want to return and be part of all the excitement with Bailey and Harper.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Action speaks louder than words.Fans should be worried that too many players want to return and be part of all the excitement with Bailey and Harper.
We'll see of course, but Pike is certainly expecting departures based on his recent comments

Plus Richie in his podcast said expect as many as 5 to hit the portal

Reactions: Scangg

This isn't HC Sanders at Colorado or HC Pitino at St. John's coming in as a new HC and cleaning house.

kevin nash wwe GIF
Cliff and Mag returning would be homeruns playing with Ace, Dylan and an improved GG in year 2. So yes absolutely if they did want to return. Odds are slim to none though on either, and slim is packing-up to leave town.

Ogbole maybe, but he'll be on notice we R looking to upgrade a back-up C through the portal. His call.

Simpson, Woolf and Palm need the talk.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Simpson needs a fresh start...he knows that
Chol...doesn't want to sit on bench
Mag...is gone and wouldn't be asked back
Ogbole AND/OR Woolfolk....bare minimum 1 is gone. Ogbole will get paid somewhere based on his size

I thnik/don't know Pike would prefer having Oskar in program.

Flipping it the other way....you can't have 13 guys who think they deserve minutes. Oskar and a 3rd string center would be 12 and 13 on the roster.

I think Oskar should NOT get the talk. Bring him back and give him the only C. Honestly I think Pike should learn and stop with the captain on the jersey thing.
I'm all for Oskar coming back as a 13th guy. Especially given his existing relationship with Dylan. But imo we need someone on the court to be a "captain". Someone Dylan and Ace can look up to and respect

Not on roster yet, but here's hoping...

Simpson needs a fresh start...he knows that
Chol...doesn't want to sit on bench
Mag...is gone and wouldn't be asked back
Ogbole AND/OR Woolfolk....bare minimum 1 is gone. Ogbole will get paid somewhere based on his size

I thnik/don't know Pike would prefer having Oskar in program.

Flipping it the other way....you can't have 13 guys who think they deserve minutes. Oskar and a 3rd string center would be 12 and 13 on the roster.
I actually hope Oskar and Ogbole stay for this reason. There are worse guys to have as nos. 12 and 13, and these guys would contribute both on the court and off the court.

1. Dylan
2. Ace
3. JWill
4. Cliff or Portal Center (Ndongo, please!)
5. Gavin
6. JMike
7. Sommerville
8. Portal guard/wing who can shoot
9. Dortch
10. Grant
11. Portal guard to backfill the Simpson, Noah, and AWill backup minutes
12. Oskar
13. Ogbole

I'm all for Oskar coming back as a 13th guy. Especially given his existing relationship with Dylan. But imo we need someone on the court to be a "captain". Someone Dylan and Ace can look up to and respect

Not on roster yet, but here's hoping...
Clark from Penn!

I don't get all the Oskar love. Sounds like he is a great teammate but he is not getting any better at this level. I would rather use the 13th scholarship on a walk on or project with upside.

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg and goru7
I don't get all the Oskar love. Sounds like he is a great teammate but he is not getting any better at this level. I would rather use the 13th scholarship on a walk on or project with upside.
1. Being a great teammate has value
2. Walk on?
3. How many B1G wins would we have this year if we didn't have Oskar?
3a. How many players on the roster can we legitimately say we don't win a B1G game if he wasn't there? 7 maybe 8

1. Being a great teammate has value
2. Walk on?
3. How many B1G wins would we have this year if we didn't have Oskar?
3a. How many players on the roster can we legitimately say we don't win a B1G game if he wasn't there? 7 maybe 8
Pike played Oskar 3 minutes at the start last night and then never went back to him in a game where we stunk. for 40 minutes. What does that tell you about his current on the court value?

kevin nash wwe GIF
FYI - In the Big 10 you cannot kick somebody out if they are on scholarship. Can you have the talk, you aren't going to get any playing time, but coach cannot drop someone from team without cause. Rules are different though for grad players and 5th year seniors. No guarantee there.

Pike played Oskar 3 minutes at the start last night and then never went back to him in a game where we stunk. for 40 minutes. What does that tell you about his current on the court value?
I am guessing injuries is a part of that. He also wanted to maximize Gavin's minutes.

90+% of games Oskar would be irrelevant. Probably 100% of practices he would be very relelvant.

All you need is 1 game like Nebraska where Oskar had a huge impact in a game to make him being on the roster as a 12th or 13th game justifiable from an on the court standpoit.

I think he can impact as a 13th guy without playing.

FYI - In the Big 10 you cannot kick somebody out if they are on scholarship. Can you have the talk, you aren't going to get any playing time, but coach cannot drop someone from team without cause. Rules are different though for grad players and 5th year seniors. No guarantee there.
how about Oskar or Mag or Cliff?

It’s not turning heel, it’s about winning

We can play nice in the sandbox, and have loyalty and retain everyone, or we can aspire to be elite

It’s a dog, eat, dog world now, with loyalty, a one-way street

We sold our soul to the devil when we join the Big Ten, tickets are only getting pricier, and will continue to rise with the renovation of the arena, and the expectations are high

We want to go back to the old way, let’s leave the Big Ten and join a lesser conference

If you want to compete with our peers and ultimately win and be Elite, there are a certain steps I need to be taken immediately always accomplish that

Give me winning every day of the week as opposed to losing and being nice

Reactions: NickRU714

We can play nice in the sandbox, and have loyalty and retain everyone, or we can aspire to be elite

We sold our soul to the devil when we join the Big Ten, tickets are only getting pricier, and will continue to rise with the renovation of the arena, and the expectations are high

We want to go back to the old way, let’s leave the Big Ten and join a lesser conference

If you want to compete with our peers and ultimately win and be Elite, there are a certain steps I need to be taken immediately always accomplish that

After last offseason I think Pike is more than justified in changing his approach. “Fool me twice…”

After last offseason I think Pike is more than justified in changing his approach. “Fool me twice…”
He’s smart enough to know that this is the most important season coming up in his coaching career

Ace and Dylan are both 1 and Deiss, and the expectations for this program have written to new levels due to the recent success

I trust that he will act accordingly in order to conduct the best roster to compete and become elite

This is a slippery slope. What makes Pike different than most and a reason players want to play for him is he is a “nice” guy.

This is a slippery slope. What makes Pike different than most and a reason players want to play for him is he is a “nice” guy.
I respect the hell out of Pike, but he needs to change his approach

Not saying, he needs to be like Bob Huggins, urban Meyer, or one of those shade balls

Change needs to happen, and it needs to happen if he hopes to be here long-term, and more importantly, if we hope to become elite

I think Oskar should NOT get the talk. Bring him back and give him the only C. Honestly I think Pike should learn and stop with the captain on the jersey thing.
Did Oskar ever get to the weight room?
I am in favor of retooling and Oskar wouldn't be in my plan for next year.

100% agree here. Great "team" guy, knows the system, great practice guy. Oskar is ASKED to come back AND gets the "C" (on jersey or otherwise).
I think most people on this thread are aligned. But if Pike has a shot at four really good guys from the portal, it's logical that Oscar, not Ogbole, would be the odd man out.

I think most people on this thread are aligned. But if Pike has a shot at four really good guys from the portal, it's logical that Oscar, not Ogbole, would be the odd man out.
JWill, JMike, GG....plus 5 frosh...that's leaves 5 spots. IMHO you CAN NOT have a roster with only 4 returnees. I think you need to bring 5 guys back so both Oskar and Ogbole (again, "IMHO").

I respect the hell out of Pike, but he needs to change his approach

Not saying, he needs to be like Bob Huggins, urban Meyer, or one of those shade balls

Change needs to happen, and it needs to happen if he hopes to be here long-term, and more importantly, if we hope to become elite
Sorry, but you're not going to get Pike to go the sleaze route. Won't happen

Sorry, but you're not going to get Pike to go the sleaze route. Won't happen
I don’t want him to go to Sleeze, and what I suggested is certainly not the sleaze Route

It’s the winning route, done in the ever changing world of college basketball

There’s a few guys on the team this need to get “the talk” - that’s the only way we can become elite

and I can guarantee that if we start hanging championship banners up at the arena, nobody will blink as to how we went about it

Reactions: Plum Street
100% agree here. Great "team" guy, knows the system, great practice guy. Oskar is ASKED to come back AND gets the "C" (on jersey or otherwise).
I don’t care much who the 13th man is, but it would not surprise me at all that a foreign born player who has now graduated has little interest to come back for a 5th year to sit on the bench. I would bet the odds are greater than 50% he will want to go back home and get on with his life.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
I don’t care much how the 13th man is, but it would not surprise me at all that a foreign born player who has now graduated has little interest to come back for a 5th year to sit on the bench. I would bet the odds are greater than 50% he will want to go back home and get on with his life.
If that’s the case so be it.

If Pike has a shot at 4 real good guys in the portal then that means someone isnt going to play.

There is a ton of value in #12 or #13 knowing there is no guaranteed minutes and is wiling to do whatever is asked and is very good on the scout team.

#12 who is upset he is not getting PT can be an issue.

Yes you force players out if it hinders winning. The moment NIL entered the picture, the equation changed for student athletes. Today, collegiate sports should be considered professional in terms of how the program is ran. The players wanted to be paid, then they must sleep in the bed they’ve made.

Not only are they on full scholarship and get many levels of special treatment (I would assume this amounts to hundreds of thousands when all put together), they are getting paid now. So if a program is not producing, you have to cut the fat like any business would do. It’s unfortunate but it’s the reality.

Yes you force players out if it hinders winning. The moment NIL entered the picture, collegiate sports should be considered professional in terms of how the program is ran.
You’re not forcing anyone out
You’re being transparent in letting them know they’ll never play if they stay

He’s not going to “force” anyone out. He’s going to have honest conversations with each kid about their situation and the likelihood of seeing significant PT next year.

Mag is an easy one. In his case, it should be understandable that we’re not “holding a spot” while he shops around his other options. If he wants to come back, he needs to indicate that immediately. My guess is that doesn’t happen.

Simpson should get a frank conversation about where he stands. J Williams is flat out better than him. The hope is that Gavin reestablishes himself as a shooter and we will also look to bring in proven sharp shooter. With Dylan - that doesn’t leave a ton of back court minutes for Derek. I can’t imagine Derek wants to go from what he’s been to a 15 mpg role player as defensive stopper. That’s a much more suitable role for Davis knowing he’ll have 2 more years afterwards.

The unofficial scholarship chart pinned here list all 3 as scholarship players for 24-25. All 4 have played 4 years so I don't believe under normal circumstances RU would be obligated to bring them back on scholarship. However I don't know if Covid impacts them still.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I don’t care much who the 13th man is, but it would not surprise me at all that a foreign born player who has now graduated has little interest to come back for a 5th year to sit on the bench. I would bet the odds are greater than 50% he will want to go back home and get on with his life.
Depends on what type of education he has and would like to further.

1. I have no problem bring back Oskar as the 13th guy, AFTER the rest of the roster fills out.
2. However, he's not going to play much - shouldn't a captain be someone who is actually going to see the court?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT