ADVERTISEMENT

5 players in the portal - Richie from the pod

My understanding regarding the Ace and Dylan situtaion is that a lot of their NIL money came from irregular sources (i.e. shoe companies, big-money donors, etc) versus the collective pool.

I'm not sure exactly how much is left over to scour the transfer portal, but I don't think its necessarily a zero-sum equation between paying those two and having $$ for other players
We couldn’t pay for Cam or Paul last year.

You really think J Will has been a huge boon for the team? Now, I do think he's an upgrade to current Simpson, but think that is all due to maturity and age. You keep talking about playing faster for next years team, and yet this team actually plays slower since J Will. Overall, we take less shots, we score less per game. We have shifted 3 three point shots to two point shots each game. Our rebounding is down, our steals per game are down. Our turnovers are down too, so that's a plus. Bottom line is J Will has really had very little effect on the team, except perhaps hindering the advancement of Simpson and JD's games, which you were so worried about.
JWill has been awesome. He's also a very good team player and unselfish sharing the ball. Not going to blame him for other players not performing

My understanding regarding the Ace and Dylan situtaion is that a lot of their NIL money came from irregular sources (i.e. shoe companies, big-money donors, etc) versus the collective pool.

I'm not sure exactly how much is left over to scour the transfer portal, but I don't think its necessarily a zero-sum equation between paying those two and having $$ for other players
This is a fair point. If the NIL is coming from Addidas, then it's not depleting our resources so maybe we do have a bit more money to offer than we think?

We couldn’t pay for Cam or Paul last year.
Well Cam left and didn't give us a chance to counter is the story reported. Paul was extremely overpaid

It still is a concern for me just how much NIL we have to offer to be able to land the type of talent we need to be serious contenders. Maybe players will take a slight discount to be on the Ace Dylan team thinking they can be part of something special

You really think J Will has been a huge boon for the team? Now, I do think he's an upgrade to current Simpson, but think that is all due to maturity and age. You keep talking about playing faster for next years team, and yet this team actually plays slower since J Will. Overall, we take less shots, we score less per game. We have shifted 3 three point shots to two point shots each game. Our rebounding is down, our steals per game are down. Our turnovers are down too, so that's a plus. Bottom line is J Will has really had very little effect on the team, except perhaps hindering the advancement of Simpson and JD's games, which you were so worried about.

Your comparison should be in conference games with/without JWill.

In BIG Conference games the differential with JWill playing(9 games) vs. previous 9 BIG games without him.....
  • Scoring increased slightly by 0.5 pg
  • Opponent scoring decreased by almost 8 points per game.
  • FGA decreased but FG% increased from .367 to .408.
  • 3PA decreased by 3 but 3PT% increased from .283 to .304.
  • FT% increased from .657 to .725.
  • Offensive rebounds decreased by 2 per game - likely due to better shooting percentage.
  • Defensive rebounds even.
  • Assists increased by 2 per game.
  • Steals increased by over 2 per game
  • Opponents shooting percentage decreased from .444 to .408
  • Opponents 3pt % decreased from .357 to .328
  • Opponents rebounding decreased by 2 per game
  • Opponent assists decreased by 3 per game
  • Opponents steals decreased by ~2.5 per game

The actual stats that would better show JWill's impact would be the differential of the # of potential assists and # of open shots and turnover differential when he is on the floor vs. not on the floor.

Also - to the naked eye - the team seems much more in control when he is lead guard in half court sets vs. either Simpson or Davis.

Assume we don’t have NIL to retain folks being poached and we probably won’t have NIL for a highly coveted center. Using last year as an example expect JWill to be targeted like Cam. A vet in the program (Mag) May leave, and if Pike gives players a long time they will take it hunting for better offers. Cliff will want a big pay day. And before you throw our own players away remember we had to beg Oskar back.
No one begged Oscar to come back-- where does all this BS come from!?? He hated where he was.

JWill has been awesome. He's also a very good team player and unselfish sharing the ball. Not going to blame him for other players not performing

This is a fair point. If the NIL is coming from Addidas, then it's not depleting our resources so maybe we do have a bit more money to offer than we think?

Well Cam left and didn't give us a chance to counter is the story reported. Paul was extremely overpaid

It still is a concern for me just how much NIL we have to offer to be able to land the type of talent we need to be serious contenders. Maybe players will take a slight discount to be on the Ace Dylan team thinking they can be part of something special

JWill also brings a confidence to the team. You can see the young guys relax and play loose when he’s on the court.

Your comparison should be in conference games with/without JWill.

In BIG Conference games the differential with JWill playing(9 games) vs. previous 9 BIG games without him.....
  • Scoring increased slightly by 0.5 pg
  • Opponent scoring decreased by almost 8 points per game.
  • FGA decreased but FG% increased from .367 to .408.
  • 3PA decreased by 3 but 3PT% increased from .283 to .304.
  • FT% increased from .657 to .725.
  • Offensive rebounds decreased by 2 per game - likely due to better shooting percentage.
  • Defensive rebounds even.
  • Assists increased by 2 per game.
  • Steals increased by over 2 per game
  • Opponents shooting percentage decreased from .444 to .408
  • Opponents 3pt % decreased from .357 to .328
  • Opponents rebounding decreased by 2 per game
  • Opponent assists decreased by 3 per game
  • Opponents steals decreased by ~2.5 per game

The actual stats that would better show JWill's impact would be the differential of the # of potential assists and # of open shots and turnover differential when he is on the floor vs. not on the floor.

Also - to the naked eye - the team seems much more in control when he is lead guard in half court sets vs. either Simpson or Davis.
I looked at P5 v P5, for the most part, the numbers are similar, although I remember steals as down. For the most part shots that were being missed by Hyatt and Davis are now missed a little less often by J Will.
I happen to agree/think J Will is our best guard, that doesn't say much as this point. Can he improve from here? I hope so, but he's already 21, maybe 22. Its as likely Simpson or Davis are better in two years at same age.

I looked at P5 v P5, for the most part, the numbers are similar, although I remember steals as down. For the most part shots that were being missed by Hyatt and Davis are now missed a little less often by J Will.
I happen to agree/think J Will is our best guard, that doesn't say much as this point. Can he improve from here? I hope so, but he's already 21, maybe 22. Its as likely Simpson or Davis are better in two years at same age.
JWill is our best guard and it's not remotely close

It is very unlikely Simpson will ever be as good. Davis, who knows, he's a freshman with upside, but JWill's size and length allows him to do some things Davis can't

This is So true

We were 2-7 in the big ten with out Jwill and 5-4 with a chance at 6-4. Huge impact
Yeah, and look at the schedule before and after. We beat the one team worse than us twice, split with just as bad UMD, got Wisconsin on a five game losing streak, lost to Purdue by much more, lost to Nebraska who we had beaten. We've scored less than one point more against the easier part of the schedule.
Look, he's our best guard, but had little effect on overall team.

Mag may leave but can’t see him making money to go, with his injury problems, he can’t stay on the court, somebody tossing significant money at seems to be a stretch, if he just wants out no problem he will end up somewhere, Simpson may go as well, but a guy shooting 30% isn’t going to cash in.but he will definitely get fewer minutes.if he stays.
Probably one of the big men goes probably wolf, he gets more time down a level. Cliff gets nothing by staying, but he is not an NBA draft pick, maybe he has a shot at the G league but that’s debatable as well, if he really wants to play professionally it’s overseas, I just can’t see what he gets by hanging out at RU or or in another college program for a year

Yeah, and look at the schedule before and after. We beat the one team worse than us twice, split with just as bad UMD, got Wisconsin on a five game losing streak, lost to Purdue by much more, lost to Nebraska who we had beaten. We've scored less than one point more against the easier part of the schedule.
Look, he's our best guard, but had little effect on overall team.
Yep, bad take. J Will is one of those players that makes everyone better and adds to every stat category on the team.

Reactions: hiwater
Yep, bad take. J Will is one of those players that makes everyone better and adds to every stat category on the team.
It would be nice if it were true. We actually pay slower and take less shots than we did before. We rebound less. He has had a positive effect on shooting %, although still awful. Think we give up more points now too.
He would have had a bigger effect if Mag had been healthy though.

Reactions: RUBlackout
It would be nice if it were true. We actually pay slower and take less shots than we did before. We rebound less. He has had a positive effect on shooting %, although still awful. Think we give up more points now too.
It’s a bad take. J Will is a high level player that stepped right into the starting line up and was a huge upgrade. Once Mag left again the bench was not up to par. That had nothing to do with J Will. Why are you trying to knock one of our best players?

Let me help you answer the question, because there is nothing unique with Mag OR he doesn't do anything at a high level that offsets other gaps.

If I said Cliff is a unique defensive player, I could point to blocks per game and altered shots.

If I said Paul Mulcahy was a unique player. I could easily point to his assists and say, he impacts the game that way (despite not scoring or shooting enough etc)

If I said Spencer impacts games and opponents because he's a threat from 3, I could say he's a unique player that if a defense lapses, will make you pay with him hitting 3s (that isn't complimented by other things he does at a high level, which is why fit is more critical than overall play)

If I said Caleb was a unique player, it was 2 times as Defensive Player of the Year, despite being a wing defender. His defense made him impactful.

Hyatt has a strength, and it's his ability to catch and shoot 3s. Which in CBB is a must have.

Mag doesn't do anything "great"....he is not a must have player and certainly not a starter.

You can dispute this, if you like, but this is how most "reasonable " basketball people see things.....and why his loss last year was not a deal breaker. Removing any other piece would have been worse than losing Mag last year. And it doesn't excuse losing to Minnesota or looking woeful on offense for most of the season, with or without Mag.
You are the one that is being unreasonable. Lots of words don’t hide your really odd takes.

I think part of the disconnect is when you and Hawk argue against the straw man where you imply Mag has to be this complete superstar offensive stud

Mag's value is to be an excellent ROLE PLAYER. Not a super star. That's why he has value on next year's team where there are superstars coming in. He can play the role suited for him and excel
Agreed on the strawman. Elite defensive players like Mag spend a lot of energy on defense. A lot!

Other than Michael Jordan, who are the elite defensive players that are are elite offensive players also?

I haven’t seen Richie say that Mag COULD play but is choosing not to. I have seen Richie say that Mag’s “people”/handlers would like to see him enter the portal. But those are two different things. And just because somebody’s sources are saying the latter, doesn’t mean the former is true. (And I would add that other sources say that Mag is simply hurt).

And this is my entire point in getting on my soapbox in my previous post above — NOBODY knows what the truth is about Mag, so it’s irresponsible speculation to state that he’s dogging it. I would expect more from responsible posters.

To Hawk’s and Greene’s point about Pike’s comments when asked about Mag — remember that HIPAA prohibits Pike from commenting about a player’s medical health without consent. So his brusque comments could just be a way for him to deflect the questions while protecting Mag’s right to medical privacy. Again, the point is that NOBODY HERE KNOWS.

If it comes out later that Mag could’ve played but chose not to for selfish reasons, I will be the first to say that he did us dirty. But until that is established as a FACT, and not merely speculation, he is one of ours and deserves the benefit of the doubt as a player who has had multiple injuries throughout his career and is coming back from ACL surgery.
This is exactly my point of view.

Reactions: Goku
Would happily swap Mag for Ndongo. But would be shocked if Ndongo doesn’t command big money in the portal
Everybody is trying to get in front of all those NBA scouts who are begging for access. I don’t think you understand the media shit storm that’s coming to NJ especially if your freshmen go nuts in that 2 million dollar Tournament.

Everybody is trying to get in front of all those NBA scouts who are begging for access. I don’t think you understand the media shit storm that’s coming to NJ especially if your freshmen go nuts in that 2 million dollar Tournament.
What do you mean?

Agreed on the strawman. Elite defensive players like Mag spend a lot of energy on defense. A lot!

Other than Michael Jordan, who are the elite defensive players that are are elite offensive players also?

Mag is not an elite defensive player, he's solid but not all B1G, 1st, 2nd or 3rd team. You're referring to him as elite is like saying he's Cliff or Caleb McConnell, he is good, not elite. Stop throwing around elite like it's some sort of validation, it's not close to reality. There's a large segment of college basketball fans that should
or need to watch more than RU games or even B1G games.

RU went with a youth movement in a transition year, counting on some younger players stepping up and had Mags replacement already recruited in Baye Ngongo. It was unfortunate that Ndongo decommitted, but thus is life in higher level recruiting, when the goal is to actually win as many games as possible. Anyone still arguing that Ndongo would not have played or started over Mag, simply doesn't watch CBB.

Fans who follow RU sports, are conditioned to losing or being average, and are always loyal to nice stories, good kids and players who don't produce on a consistent level or a level that wins games. There's nothing wrong with supporting Mag as we should any RU player, but the exaggeration levels is where I have to stop the silliness from continuing

Reactions: SBP
Snagg's summary showed that we give up 8 points less per game with him playing. We get a couple fewer offensive rebounds which as Snagg pointed out is likely because we are shooting a better percentage with JWill than without. We are still scoring more, but only slightly.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Mag is not an elite defensive player, he's solid but not all B1G, 1st, 2nd or 3rd team. You're referring to him as elite is like saying he's Cliff or Caleb McConnell, he is good, not elite. Stop throwing around elite like it's some sort of validation, it's not close to reality. There's a large segment of college basketball fans that should

RU went with a youth movement in a transition year, counting on some younger players stepping up and had Mags replacement already recruited in Baye Ngongo. It was unfortunate that Ndongo decommitted, but thus is life in higher level recruiting, when the goal is to actually win as many games as possible. Anyone still arguing that Ndongo would not have played or started over Mag, simply doesn't watch CBB.

Fans who follow RU sports, are conditioned to losing or being average, and are always loyal to nice stories, good kids and players who don't produce on a consistent level or a level that wins games. There's nothing wrong with supporting Mag as we should any RU player, but the exaggeration levels is where I have to stop the silliness from continuing
Mag played defense at an elite level last year.

It’s a bad take. J Will is a high level player that stepped right into the starting line up and was a huge upgrade. Once Mag left again the bench was not up to par. That had nothing to do with J Will. Why are you trying to knock one of our best players?
Not knocking, I've said he's our best player. His inability to shoot from the outside really just makes him an upgraded Simpson though. He dribbles too much. The team plays best w fast ball movement.

Snagg's summary showed that we give up 8 points less per game with him playing. We get a couple fewer offensive rebounds which as Snagg pointed out is likely because we are shooting a better percentage with JWill than without. We are still scoring more, but only slightly.
I'm not going to go back for the numbers, but its not true we give up 8 less, at least when comparing games against P5 teams.

Can't see JMike leaving with Ace coming next year. If Simpson sees a bigger role for himself maybe he heads to Rider where his dad played?
Bigger question once season is over is does Knight decide it’s time to leave and takes his nephew with him.

I’ve been expecting knight will get a big raise to $1M prior to November. But I could see him using his leverage to reset and start somewhere else.

Hobbs loyalty to pike probably helps significantly in knights decision making process as he knows pikes job is safer than it might be at another program.

Bigger question once season is over is does Knight decide it’s time to leave and takes his nephew with him.

I’ve been expecting knight will get a big raise to $1M prior to November. But I could see him using his leverage to reset and start somewhere else.

Hobbs loyalty to pike probably helps significantly in knights decision making process as he knows pikes job is safer than it might be at another program.

Yup. You certainly know what silly is. Lololol!!!

My biggest disappointment was the total collapse of this team. Sure injuries are a big part but the lack of shooters really caused this. Why play D when your team can’t hit a 12 footer in the lane. Your inside B1GS getting shots swatted … pushed out… bullied. Here is an early prediction 21-11 before B1G tourney… Add 2 more before NCAA begins… add 2 in tourney… we make sweet 16 but 25-13 is our season record. Close but no cigar.

JWill is our best guard and it's not remotely close

It is very unlikely Simpson will ever be as good. Davis, who knows, he's a freshman with upside, but JWill's size and length allows him to do some things Davis can't
We agree on most things and I want Davis on any team I love but he’s a 8/9 guy on the bench . Simpson couldnt throw the ball in an ocean all season but at no point did Davis have the stretch of games Simpson had as a freshman. JMike is a defensive guy so clearly better than Simpson? Simpson had more rebounds, assists, steals. Ft % all by a nice margin. Both were bad shooting the ball. I understand the Simpson hate for how he shot the ball and am baffled but in no other aspect of the game was JMIKE better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT