ADVERTISEMENT

Is HC Pike really going to turn heel?

This is a slippery slope. What makes Pike different than most and a reason players want to play for him is he is a “nice” guy.
No. They go where they expect significant PT over time and hopefully significant NIL for some. Beyond that, Pike sells playground, no accountability offense. Surely Ace is coming for all 3 reasons and not at all bc Pike is player friendly

Just curious why you would think that the only 2 ways to effectively manage this would be "Nice Guy who gets walked on" or "Heel".

Seems to me that effective situational management would entail Pike being transparent about the player's prospects and future with the program as well as how they may better reach their potential at another program/level.

Also - not sure I would assume what Pike wants each player to do. For instance he may want Simpson back and think he would be more effective in a more limited role as 3rd or 4th guard behind JWill / Dylan.
Agree.
Besides not being able to take someone’s scholarship away (if in fact that’s the rule), if Simpson wants to return with the understanding there is no guarantee of any minutes and he would have to earn playing time, you absolutely want him back. He’s a (very) good defensive player, knows the system, rebounds pretty well for his size, and has the ability to get into the lane. Of course, he needs to improve his shooting and finishing plays in order to earn time. But he can certainly play a role and provide depth if he is accepting. But being that it’s pretty much a given we will bring in a sharpshooter (such as a Clark Slajchert type), he’d likely be competing for 4th guard minutes at least at the onset of the season.

Mag’s gone
He shook down the staff at the last minute and then mailed it in for the majority of the season

Cliff is 50-50
My gut and a lot of my emotion says he stays, as playing with Ace and Dylan will open up his game to what it should be

J Mike, Jay Will, and Gavin will all be here absent of a crazy NIL deal

Derek I’m not so sure of, this year was his chance to shine, and he did not come through, looking what we have coming in next year, and returning, he may see the writing on the wall

Wolf or big O will get “the talk,” likely wolf
Chol is gone
Oscar can come back if he’s willing to be the last guy on the bench

I’m probably leaving a returning player or two out but off the top of my head this is my best guess
This is basically my read on who stays as well

I don't get all the Oskar love. Sounds like he is a great teammate but he is not getting any better at this level. I would rather use the 13th scholarship on a walk on or project with upside.
facts: per 40 mins
SeasonSchoolConfClassGGSMPFGFGAFG%2P2PA2P%3P3PA3P%FTFTAFT%TRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS
2020-21RutgersBig TenFR120601.38.0.1670.01.3.0001.36.7.2002.04.0.5005.33.31.30.03.35.36.0
2021-22RutgersBig TenSO150903.17.6.4120.92.7.3332.24.9.4551.32.7.5004.42.70.90.01.34.99.8
2022-23RutgersBig TenJR2121943.59.1.3861.02.3.4552.56.8.3640.60.8.7504.71.20.40.21.24.910.1
2023-24RutgersBig TenSR2823043.68.3.4292.13.4.6151.44.9.2971.42.0.7335.31.21.70.31.45.

I don't equate "a solid back end of the rotation guy" with the last guy on the bench. Who has a rotation that goes 13 players? My initial comment in this thread was that I don't get all the love for OP. Everyone is posting their thoughts about who stays and who goes and there seems to be a real desire to keep OP but only to occupy a spot that will not contribute. I don't know the guy and maybe he is a great teammate, but if the choice is between him and someone like Ogbole, who I would consider a project that might be able to make a contribution in a limited role, I am picking Ogbole.

Also recall that if Paul and Cam don't leave late, OP is not even on the team this year. No one was shedding tears when he was off to Elon for awhile at the end of last year.

Your not making any sense. He said 13 players because each team is allowed 13 scholarships. How many teams in RU history could you point to that had a better 13th man on their roster than Oskar? Heck - how many college teams period could you point to with a better 13th man than Oskar? Your “taking a chance” is like 99%+ likely that the player rides the bench and contributes as Terry did if it’s not Oskar getting that spot who is a 4 year kid returning to continue to be a part of the program. How is this not obvious?

Cliff and Mag returning would be homeruns playing with Ace, Dylan and an improved GG in year 2. So yes absolutely if they did want to return. Odds are slim to none though on either, and slim is packing-up to leave town.

Ogbole maybe, but he'll be on notice we R looking to upgrade a back-up C through the portal. His call.

Simpson, Woolf and Palm need the talk.
Mag??? No he needs to go… Wolfork… and DS is still a question for me.

I actually hope Oskar and Ogbole stay for this reason. There are worse guys to have as nos. 12 and 13, and these guys would contribute both on the court and off the court.

1. Dylan
2. Ace
3. JWill
4. Cliff or Portal Center (Ndongo, please!)
5. Gavin
6. JMike
7. Sommerville
8. Portal guard/wing who can shoot
9. Dortch
10. Grant
11. Portal guard to backfill the Simpson, Noah, and AWill backup minutes
12. Oskar
13. Ogbole
Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

Reactions: Degaz-RU
Some fans need to stop with the fantasy that all 13 players will be these legit high end players

No really good player is going to want to come be the 12th or 13th man

Oskar is a great fit for that role. Experience in the system, leadership, great teammate etc. These players value is more off the court and in practice

Need players at the end of the bench who are ok with not playing

Ogbole is a great option as a 3rd 5. Huge if we need size and has a ton of potential if he happens to develop

From a friend of a friend of someone on staff so FWIW: "Pike told them you have 10 days to decide in or out or scholarship is gone. Dylan and Ace recruiting other guys hard. Expect 3 players to return. GG, JMike & JW"
Best news I’ve heard, if true. Love the 10 days, love that they are the only 3 I want back, and love that Dylan and Ace are recruiting hard.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
From a friend of a friend of someone on staff so FWIW: "Pike told them you have 10 days to decide in or out or scholarship is gone. Dylan and Ace recruiting other guys hard. Expect 3 players to return. GG, JMike & JW"
What's stopping guys from saying "In" but still weighing their options?

Your not making any sense. He said 13 players because each team is allowed 13 scholarships. How many teams in RU history could you point to that had a better 13th man on their roster than Oskar? Heck - how many college teams period could you point to with a better 13th man than Oskar? Your “taking a chance” is like 99%+ likely that the player rides the bench and contributes as Terry did if it’s not Oskar getting that spot who is a 4 year kid returning to continue to be a part of the program. How is this not obvious?
I think I am done with this. Like I said, I don't get the love fest for this kid purely based on watching the quality of his play for the last 4 years. I am not losing any sleep over who Pike has as his 13th guy. If it makes you feel better to have him sitting on the bench then fine. If he is being counted on at all to be in the "back end of the rotation" (which is what the poster said) then Pike has not done a good job upgrading the roster.

Well if this applies to Cliff his scholarship is gone.... he's not deciding in 10 days

Don't think this applies to Cliff though...

Question is if another good 5 wants to come here, but only if Cliff leaves.... how does that situation get handled?

The player isn't going to want to sit around waiting for Cliff

In the Carino article towards the end of the year didn’t Pike say that anybody making a decision he will assume they’re not coming back. Something like that.
I think Pike is effectively giving Cliff the same 10 days. (At least when it comes to the transferring option.)
Gotta go get a big to take 20+ minutes at the 5.

If they want to return you tell them they won't step foot on the court and you make their lives a living f-ing hell

Well if this applies to Cliff his scholarship is gone.... he's not deciding in 10 days

Don't think this applies to Cliff though...

Question is if another good 5 wants to come here, but only if Cliff leaves.... how does that situation get handled?

The player isn't going to want to sit around waiting for Cliff
It doesn't matter, Pike can't take their schollys if they don't decide anyway. It's nonsense.

Oy. Great teammate, great student, great kid. So if Oskar wants to come back, he comes back, and there's no relevance to where he sits on the depth chart. Sure, if he winds up being 9/10 you can make the case that the roster did not upgrade as much as needed. But he has no control over that. Ideally, he's 11/12/13 and those guys rarely have an impact anyway. So what's the big deal?

In the realm of the “ new NIL” era a hard worker and good teammate is long past. We need good teammates who can put the ball in the basket , box out/ rebound and play D. If they can ‘t manage that ask then don’t waste our time. Players are here to WIN championships and receive a quality education. Isn’t that all we have heard and not only from the coaches but former players. This should have been at the very least NIT semi finalist. Most here recognized the decline in play and those players claiming injury in mid February. There is more to that story we have been told. Same with the ladies team and Smikle’s disappearance.Now don’t forget your NiL donation needs to increase in order for us to contend. 🪓
Some fans need to stop with the fantasy that all 13 players will be these legit high end players

No really good player is going to want to come be the 12th or 13th man

Oskar is a great fit for that role. Experience in the system, leadership, great teammate etc. These players value is more off the court and in practice

Need players at the end of the bench who are ok with not playing

Ogbole is a great option as a 3rd 5. Huge if we need size and has a ton of potential if he happens to develop
Ogbole and Palmquist maybe.

Cliff and Mag returning would be homeruns playing with Ace, Dylan and an improved GG in year 2. So yes absolutely if they did want to return. Odds are slim to none though on either, and slim is packing-up to leave town.

Ogbole maybe, but he'll be on notice we R looking to upgrade a back-up C through the portal. His call.

Simpson, Woolf and Palm need the talk.
Why Mag?

So he can quit again. LOL!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT