ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Ruining College Game. 2 Fixes.

It's a blight. Transfers sit a year, except if the coach leaves. This nonsense has to stop with coaches having to recruit a high school kid for 2-3 years, then re-recruit him every year. Can't even coach a kid hard for fear of offending his delicate sensibilities.
Why shouldnt coaches have to work to keep kids on rosters? I know many coaches who have sold an image and then act completely differently upon athlete arrival.

Create an environment where kids want to be, and financially rewards the players for the work they put in. Coaches and universities can make as much money as they want, and basically have as much freedom as they want. Athletes should too.

Never will happen. The NCAA is an entity that needs to go away . Do you honestly believe they care about the students post college? With the new era of less academic oversight their jobs are meaningless.
Will it happen and would it work are different questions.

Reactions: RUBOB72
Having watched the NCAA over time you just know they will screw it up . In some ways , shape or form Rutgers and others will pay the price for their indecisiveness on this topic.

Why shouldnt coaches have to work to keep kids on rosters? I know many coaches who have sold an image and then act completely differently upon athlete arrival.

Create an environment where kids want to be, and financially rewards the players for the work they put in. Coaches and universities can make as much money as they want, and basically have as much freedom as they want. Athletes should too.
Here’s an idea for these organizational clowns . Do away with athletic scholarships altogether . Allow NIL to determine the winners and losers.I’m fine with that part of this equation. If the student / athlete wants an education and since the schools are now bargaining with these players for their services let them have the value of the scholarship yearly upfront towards NIL. Include all the little add ons like medical, food , entertainment. Make it a valid contractual agreement on both parts. Right now that is not the case . Schools make way too much $$$$ on what they charge the regular student body in credits, fees etc. Guaranteed their are plenty of these NCAA officials benefitting from their inactions to solve the problem.

My favorite part of college basketball is to see a coach work with players individually and collectively and getting the best out of them. That is why I am a huge Pike fan. Investing time and effort on projects and anyone outside of that year's core has become a fool's errand in the age of the transfer portal. The result skews the game to more athleticism but less development, less strategy. Unglamorous supporting roles and defense suffer, when you can transfer and just do the fun stuff. For good, a Bobby Knight can't terrorize teenagers. For bad, a Bobby Knight can't get young men to work harder than they thought they would ever want to. Ballers who don't shop themselves to the highest bidder are leaving money on the table. Most can't afford to do that.

You can't just put the genie back in the bottle. Politically NIL is here to stay. The truth is that it often just brings above the table what was hidden from view. It encumbers the NCAA with 'restraint of trade' when it tries to reign in transfers' ability to chase the highest dollar. I think there are a couple of fairly extreme measure that would restore the college game to something that would bring coaching back to the fore. The sea change of NIL, Portal requires a dramatic response.

1. Transfers must be admitted to new schools purely on academic basis (without reference to athletics) through the same protocol for any student applying for transfer. Once academically accepted transfers can qualify for scholarships and NIL.

2. Freshman ineligible. This will weed out a significant percentage pf the athletes going to college who do not value the education. They will have better options and the college game will be restored to having real student athletes who actually appreciate the chance to earn a degree.

Changes like one of these would improve the game and produce more players more connected to their schools and coaches more connected to their players.
Are points 1 and 2 satire?

Making non grads sit a year would slow down portal transfers.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
My worst fear is that somebody will rule that there can be no limit on years of eligibility. With NIL and the portal, that's the only thing that keeps NCAA sports from being 100% professional. It seems farfetched that this could happen, but so did many of the recent changes...

My worst fear is that somebody will rule that there can be no limit on years of eligibility. With NIL and the portal, that's the only thing that keeps NCAA sports from being 100% professional. It seems farfetched that this could happen, but so did many of the recent changes...
I could definitely see an argument that calls it age discrimination and that especially state universities have an equal access requirement to be open to all. At that point the football and both basketball teams are a professional sports franchise loosely affiliated with universities. That's the direction big-time college sports have been heading in for over 50 years under the NCAA's supervision/lack of supervision.

Why would they not be compared? Coaches love to get on their high horse about loyalty, tough love, etc., yet any hot shot coach is gone the second a better opportunity comes. It’s just weird that people love to hate college athletes so much.
Lol

Watch NHL hockey.

The only concerns their is the dumb point systrm and playoff seeding
Let’s make goaltending legal in basketball again. That’ll put the emphasis on defense, where it belongs. Those 12-10 final scores were a thing of beauty.

They need to change the grad transfer window. We were all told the portal was closed and then “boom” apparently grad transfers can just transfer whenever and backstab their teammates and not give the coach much of a chance to replace them. Izzo spoke up about this

They need to change the grad transfer window. We were all told the portal was closed and then “boom” apparently grad transfers can just transfer whenever and backstab their teammates and not give the coach much of a chance to replace them. Izzo spoke up about this
This 110%, I believe this has been changed for next year. Makes no sense to have the different windows, make it same for all. Not fair to the non grad transfers as their window closes, then a guy transfers to their team as a grad at the same position, takes their spot on the team possibly, then, oh guess what, the non grad can’t pursue any transfer options that might benefit them because their window already closed. Stupid. Another crappy transfer window rule is in football where players can enter the portal as soon as the regular season ends. We saw max exoduses last season, players not playing in bowls because they were leaving for another school, etc.. Just open the portal for everyone after the playoff and national title is decided. Were players from Michigan or Washington really going to jump in the portal in early December? Not likely as they were going to the playoff. It makes no sense to open a transfer portal in football when the season has not ended. Maybe players would be more likely to play in a bowl in hopes of putting together more good tape as they know they are entering the portal after the title game is played.

Reactions: biazza38
My rule for football is every transfer you accept you are penalized one scholarship for that year.

So for example: you take in 5 scholarship transfers you can only have 80 on scholarship that coming fall.

It would make teams much more picky with taking transfers. Maybe for hoops every 2 transfers you took in you lost 1 scholarship.
And still allow coaches to come and go?
Good Luck with that!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT