ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 11 MISSISSIPPI STATE: Accepting the coal in the 2023-2024 Scarlet Knight hoops season stocking

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
jI could go on and on and write a long dissertation on the abomination on the court today but I will just directed to you recaps after the Princeton, Illinois, and Wake games. This team is EXACTLY what was feared. A MESSY poorly constructed team lacking LEADERSHIP, lacking TOUGHNESS, lacking purpose, and above all just lacking IT. You know IT when you see IT so it is easy to spot it in absentia. Accepting the current state of the season would be a wise decision right now. The Seton Hall win with the return of Mag gave a glimmer of hope. A strong purposeful performance where RU dominated on both ends of the court. Many of us weroo willing to hit the bargainning stage. and block out the tell tale signs of trouble. If we could get this win over Mississippi State we could be back on track, Right? That was a big IF. In fairness Mississippi State did appear to be better than expected today but Rutgers was absolutely no different from how they performed against in their 3 earlier losses to schools with a pulse.

I was not pleased with the LIU performance despite winning by 22. It was a 7 point game deep into the 2nd half and RU went through a miserable 6 minute stretch without 2 points. Sure they rode Mag, Hyatt, and Cliff to 22 point win and Cliff had a career game but lets be honest. LIU was atrocious and RU found themselves struggling to put the ball in the basket yet again. Today would prove similar. RU went through 3 horrendous offensive stretches that totalled nearly half of the game and confirmed to me that this is not a NCAA level team. Consider RU built a nice little 20-15 lead and actually had a couple of chances to build on it but then were outscored 12-2 in a period of 7:30 minutes where Mississippi State took a 27-22 and never looked back despite RU able to crawl to 29 all at half. That was a fluke. RU had absolutely nothing coming out of the gate with just one bucket in the first four minutes being outdone 8-2. Later RU would suffer another 5 minute stretch where they were outscored 10-2 with zero fgs and Miss St all of a sudden up 49-38. RU would do little to be a threat from there and the final defecit of 10 might not reflect how badly beaten RU was today. One constant this year is scoring droughts. RU can overcome it vs LIU and vs Bryant but I warned you about tougher competition. Just like with Wake what looked like a competitive game was quickly turned into a beatdown. RU just not have the firepower nor experience nor sharpshooting skills to be able to win games like this.

With some earlier Pike teams you could count on a bit over overacheving lunch pail effort to guide them through some rough shooting patches but just not seeing it with this team. For one Missisippi State just clobbered RU on the boards 47-26 including 13-7 offensively. I know RU was a physically undersized vs Mississippi State but you have to have a certain want and hunger to overcheive on the rebounding end and unlike every other Pike squad the absence is glaring. Not saying overall the teams effort is not there but you need a special effort to overacheive and get better. Compared to even Pike's worst years at the beginning, unfortunately this team is falling below that level. The Bulldogs actually made one less basket than RU yet took 9 less shots. Their ball movement and carving up of the RU defense was a thing of beauty. They did miss some chippies too but even then the were getting some pretty clean looks. Impressed by their coach Chris Jans. This was a well coached team of studs. Jans ran circles around Pike as far as game prep for today They knew what they wanted to do and established themselves earlier as tougher while Cliff did a wallflower routine. Men vs boys, shades of the Illinois game. But stepping back, compare the two teams beyond size and experience. Miss State never wavered after RU tied it at half. Came right back at it with their aggressiveness on the offensive end and took advantage of the RU feebleness in wanting to rebound. RU cuts it to 8, no problem Jans calls timeout, they immediately nail a 3 and go on another run to take their biggest lead of 15. Smelled blood in the water and went after it. If RU was nipped by the sharks of Long Island, they had literal chunks ripped out of them by relentless Bulldogs.

But then how did Rutgers get here where its time to reset expectations just 11 games into the season. Its not one thing...its EVERYTHING. Some of it bad luck, some of it not. Make no mistake about it Pikiell was absolutely molested when it came to the portal. Burned by Cam Spencer and then later by Mulcahy and then forced to scramble for leftovers ( Austin) or worse (Palm). One can forgive Pike for getting screwed but can one? Make no mistake Pike is not aggressive as some would like him to be in the portal. Many of the top schools relentless hit the portal hard without respect to deference to returning players. I know Pike brought in Jeremiah Williams but thats a guy sitting out that came with another issue. I know Pike was being too trusting of Cam and Paul but Noah was brought in as our main portal guy. A good player but not a difference maker considering what else is on the roster. J Mike is just a freshmen. Not fair to put him in spot where he needs to produce right away. Derek to me is looking like a miss in recruiting because his spot is one that needs to produce given who else Pike brought in. Mag another case of bad luck for Pike, not ready to start year but coming along. Okay a pass for that but should Pike have gone out aggressively going for another forward..remember Mag almost left RU as well for NIL. Hyatt is hot and cold yet has to be the breadwinner on a team that cannot shoot straight. Wolf is a complimentary player at best but why didnt Pike bring in a better quality guy. I mean yes some of these guys have their moments but the reality is they are simply not good enough to get a team back to the NCAA tourney.

And there is Cliff. Its beyond disappointing at this point. He cannot have just one good game vs a team with a pulse and then pull bad showing after bad showing vs top competition. I do not care what he did vs LIU nor what he does vs Stonehill because its put up or shut up time for Cliff. To give nothing offensively and to bring down no rebounds while being tossed around like a rag doll in a big game is beyond abysmal. From the time he was a senior in high school to year 4 of Cliff its always been Cliff is going to do that and Cliff is this but what exactly is Cliff. He is an undersized big with ABSOLUTELY no backup to even push him for minutes with really bad hands and appears unwilling to sacrifice his body for teams success. Perhaps being a bit too hard on him but perhaps this is Cliff's ceiling. I am beginning to think it is. If so I can accept that and move forward rather than hold onto this nothing some great awakening is going to happen with him.

Pikiell circumstances or not is struggling this year. He still has not figured out his team. Roles have not been defined. He cannot figure out if he want this team to run or play defense. He has a potential offensive talent in Griffiths that seemingly has had his growth stunted by rotation circumstances. He still has a loyalty to Derek that I cannot understand. Its painful he is reaching to Oskar for minutes to save the team. I do know that with a road trip to Ohio State and Iowa to start the 2024 season, the potential for a ugliness is high. The Stonehill game will show us absolutely nothing. If J Mike and Mag are banged up sit them. Pike should use this game as a way to do things DIFFERENTLY. The outcome will never be in doubt. I dont want to see 25 and 15 from Cliff. I want to see Gavin and J Mike and Noah doing things different. I want Wolf to play as much as possible. I want Austin to either be used or not. But the hard truth is that if walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it probably is a duck. Lipstick does not hide things. This roster has a limited ceiling and even moreso with a just returning Mag and an ineffective Cliff. Just looking at the schedule again, its hard to argue for more than 4-5 Big 10 wins. Sure this team cannot jump up and have a good night shooting and knock off an Indiana or maybe a Wisconsin at home but its hard to argue that they have the talent or the hunger to string wins together with their limited ability. Sometimes acceptance can be peaceful especially before the holidays. This year we may just have to settle for a lump of coal in our stocking. Its something unfamiliar here in the past 4 years. But that can be okay because Santa has already reserved a room for the Rutgers XMas bounty for 24-25. Visions of Sugar Plum fairies are not far off.

jI could go on and on and write a long dissertation on the abomination on the court today but I will just directed to you recaps after the Princeton, Illinois, and Wake games. This team is EXACTLY what was feared. A MESSY poorly constructed team lacking LEADERSHIP, lacking TOUGHNESS, lacking purpose, and above all just lacking IT. You know IT when you see IT so it is easy to spot it in absentia. Accepting the current state of the season would be a wise decision right now. The Seton Hall win with the return of Mag gave a glimmer of hope. A strong purposeful performance where RU dominated on both ends of the court. Many of us weroo willing to hit the bargainning stage. and block out the tell tale signs of trouble. If we could get this win over Mississippi State we could be back on track, Right? That was a big IF. In fairness Mississippi State did appear to be better than expected today but Rutgers was absolutely no different from how they performed against in their 3 earlier losses to schools with a pulse.

I was not pleased with the LIU performance despite winning by 22. It was a 7 point game deep into the 2nd half and RU went through a miserable 6 minute stretch without 2 points. Sure they rode Mag, Hyatt, and Cliff to 22 point win and Cliff had a career game but lets be honest. LIU was atrocious and RU found themselves struggling to put the ball in the basket yet again. Today would prove similar. RU went through 3 horrendous offensive stretches that totalled nearly half of the game and confirmed to me that this is not a NCAA level team. Consider RU built a nice little 20-15 lead and actually had a couple of chances to build on it but then were outscored 12-2 in a period of 7:30 minutes where Mississippi State took a 27-22 and never looked back despite RU able to crawl to 29 all at half. That was a fluke. RU had absolutely nothing coming out of the gate with just one bucket in the first four minutes being outdone 8-2. Later RU would suffer another 5 minute stretch where they were outscored 10-2 with zero fgs and Miss St all of a sudden up 49-38. RU would do little to be a threat from there and the final defecit of 10 might not reflect how badly beaten RU was today. One constant this year is scoring droughts. RU can overcome it vs LIU and vs Bryant but I warned you about tougher competition. Just like with Wake what looked like a competitive game was quickly turned into a beatdown. RU just not have the firepower nor experience nor sharpshooting skills to be able to win games like this.

With some earlier Pike teams you could count on a bit over overacheving lunch pail effort to guide them through some rough shooting patches but just not seeing it with this team. For one Missisippi State just clobbered RU on the boards 47-26 including 13-7 offensively. I know RU was a physically undersized vs Mississippi State but you have to have a certain want and hunger to overcheive on the rebounding end and unlike every other Pike squad the absence is glaring. Not saying overall the teams effort is not there but you need a special effort to overacheive and get better. Compared to even Pike's worst years at the beginning, unfortunately this team is falling below that level. The Bulldogs actually made one less basket than RU yet took 9 less shots. Their ball movement and carving up of the RU defense was a thing of beauty. They did miss some chippies too but even then the were getting some pretty clean looks. Impressed by their coach Chris Jans. This was a well coached team of studs. Jans ran circles around Pike as far as game prep for today They knew what they wanted to do and established themselves earlier as tougher while Cliff did a wallflower routine. Men vs boys, shades of the Illinois game. But stepping back, compare the two teams beyond size and experience. Miss State never wavered after RU tied it at half. Came right back at it with their aggressiveness on the offensive end and took advantage of the RU feebleness in wanting to rebound. RU cuts it to 8, no problem Jans calls timeout, they immediately nail a 3 and go on another run to take their biggest lead of 15. Smelled blood in the water and went after it. If RU was nipped by the sharks of Long Island, they had literal chunks ripped out of them by relentless Bulldogs.

But then how did Rutgers get here where its time to reset expectations just 11 games into the season. Its not one thing...its EVERYTHING. Some of it bad luck, some of it not. Make no mistake about it Pikiell was absolutely molested when it came to the portal. Burned by Cam Spencer and then later by Mulcahy and then forced to scramble for leftovers ( Austin) or worse (Palm). One can forgive Pike for getting screwed but can one? Make no mistake Pike is not aggressive as some would like him to be in the portal. Many of the top schools relentless hit the portal hard without respect to deference to returning players. I know Pike brought in Jeremiah Williams but thats a guy sitting out that came with another issue. I know Pike was being too trusting of Cam and Paul but Noah was brought in as our main portal guy. A good player but not a difference maker considering what else is on the roster. J Mike is just a freshmen. Not fair to put him in spot where he needs to produce right away. Derek to me is looking like a miss in recruiting because his spot is one that needs to produce given who else Pike brought in. Mag another case of bad luck for Pike, not ready to start year but coming along. Okay a pass for that but should Pike have gone out aggressively going for another forward..remember Mag almost left RU as well for NIL. Hyatt is hot and cold yet has to be the breadwinner on a team that cannot shoot straight. Wolf is a complimentary player at best but why didnt Pike bring in a better quality guy. I mean yes some of these guys have their moments but the reality is they are simply not good enough to get a team back to the NCAA tourney.

And there is Cliff. Its beyond disappointing at this point. He cannot have just one good game vs a team with a pulse and then pull bad showing after bad showing vs top competition. I do not care what he did vs LIU nor what he does vs Stonehill because its put up or shut up time for Cliff. To give nothing offensively and to bring down no rebounds while being tossed around like a rag doll in a big game is beyond abysmal. From the time he was a senior in high school to year 4 of Cliff its always been Cliff is going to do that and Cliff is this but what exactly is Cliff. He is an undersized big with ABSOLUTELY no backup to even push him for minutes with really bad hands and appears unwilling to sacrifice his body for teams success. Perhaps being a bit too hard on him but perhaps this is Cliff's ceiling. I am beginning to think it is. If so I can accept that and move forward rather than hold onto this nothing some great awakening is going to happen with him.

Pikiell circumstances or not is struggling this year. He still has not figured out his team. Roles have not been defined. He cannot figure out if he want this team to run or play defense. He has a potential offensive talent in Griffiths that seemingly has had his growth stunted by rotation circumstances. He still has a loyalty to Derek that I cannot understand. Its painful he is reaching to Oskar for minutes to save the team. I do know that with a road trip to Ohio State and Iowa to start the 2024 season, the potential for a ugliness is high. The Stonehill game will show us absolutely nothing. If J Mike and Mag are banged up sit them. Pike should use this game as a way to do things DIFFERENTLY. The outcome will never be in doubt. I dont want to see 25 and 15 from Cliff. I want to see Gavin and J Mike and Noah doing things different. I want Wolf to play as much as possible. I want Austin to either be used or not. But the hard truth is that if walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it probably is a duck. Lipstick does not hide things. This roster has a limited ceiling and even moreso with a just returning Mag and an ineffective Cliff. Just looking at the schedule again, its hard to argue for more than 4-5 Big 10 wins. Sure this team cannot jump up and have a good night shooting and knock off an Indiana or maybe a Wisconsin at home but its hard to argue that they have the talent or the hunger to string wins together with their limited ability. Sometimes acceptance can be peaceful especially before the holidays. This year we may just have to settle for a lump of coal in our stocking. Its something unfamiliar here in the past 4 years. But that can be okay because Santa has already reserved a room for the Rutgers XMas bounty for 24-25. Visions of Sugar Plum fairies are not far off.

You said it with a lot more words than I could. They’re not very good and the play of Cliff, Noah and the lack of progress displayed by Simpson have been my biggest disappointments. Also, the lack of toughness and rebounding has been stunning. We have Cliff and Mag, they should NEVER combine for 1 rebound between the two of them.

OMG!! Calm Down....
with what?

with respect to post season

consider RU does not have one quality out of conference win...yeah SHU is a borderline q1/2 but since they are unlikely a ncaa participant that means RU has nothing of importance on its resume

RU will beat Stonehill and be 8-4. Nothing short of 20 wins puts them in realistic contention for a bid given their current ooc resume. Do you think this team is goiing 12-7 the rest of the way...do you think they are beating osu or Iowa on the road because if they dont, do you see them going 12-5 after that.

The sample size is getting better.....RU lost 4 games to teams that on average they will have to beat in the Big 10. Some like Illinois are legit elite 8 schools. Princeton and Miss State are ncaa bound. Wake likely not. RU looked messy in all 4 of those games. None of them they threaten to win in the last 5 minutes. Some constants are showing from loss to loss. Seton Hall win was nice..great, Mag was back and RU shot unbelievably from 3. Non conference play vs weak teams has been sketchy at times. One consistent thing is the inconsistency of the players performance. The talent does not seem to be there. Its okay but im going to push back on saying calm down. There are no Geos and Rons to save us this year.

What I like about this recap is that you didn't sugar coat the obvious flaws with this team.Bottom line there are too many role players and a absence of difference makers. Poor rebounding and abysmal shooting won't translate into many wins against B1G Ten competition.Next season can't happen soon enough. Fans will see two elite basketball players on the court for Rutgers with the skillset to score 20 points a game and also make the other players more productive.The center position will be the big question mark for next season.

Guards are simply not good enough. How many high major schools wanted Noah, Derek, JMike, or Austin Williams?

Derek is especially disappointing because he actually compared decently to Braden Smith, Bruce Thornton, and Dug McDaniel as freshman but those three are now so clearly better as sophomores.

Reactions: bac2therac
Well said. Can accept bad offense some nights, but we’ve been getting murdered on the boards all season.

Left early. I remember tOSU in 22 at the RAC, people started leaving down 10 with 3 mins left and laughing at their mistake - you knew that team was going to make it a game. This team, I don’t feel it.

If I was on this years squad, I’d be annoyed everyone already talking about next years team. Have some ****ing pride. Hell, I wouldn’t have been bothered if punches were thrown after that ball was thrown at Simp. Show me something.

Pikiell circumstances or not is struggling this year. He still has not figured out his team. Roles have not been defined. He cannot figure out if he want this team to run or play defense. He has a potential offensive talent in Griffiths that seemingly has had his growth stunted by rotation circumstances. He still has a loyalty to Derek that I cannot understand. Its painful he is reaching to Oskar for minutes to save the team. I do know that with a road trip to Ohio State and Iowa to start the 2024 season, the potential for an ugliness is high. The Stonehill game will show us absolutely nothing. If J Mike and Mag are banged up sit them. Pike should use this game as a way to do things DIFFERENTLY. The outcome will never be in doubt. I dont want to see 25 and 15 from Cliff. I want to see Gavin and J Mike and Noah doing things different. I want Wolf to play as much as possible. I want Austin to either be used or not. But the hard truth is that if walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it probably is a duck. Lipstick does not hide things. This roster has a limited ceiling and even moreso with a just returning Mag and an ineffective Cliff. Just looking at the schedule again, its hard to argue for more than 4-5 Big 10 wins. Sure this team cannot jump up and have a good night shooting and knock off an Indiana or maybe a Wisconsin at home but its hard to argue that they have the talent or the hunger to string wins together with their limited ability. Sometimes acceptance can be peaceful especially before the holidays. This year we may just have to settle for a lump of coal in our stocking. Its something unfamiliar here in the past 4 years. But that can be okay because Santa has already reserved a room for the Rutgers XMas bounty for 24-25. Visions of Sugar Plum fairies are not far off.
Good recap of the overall pulse of this team.

As you have said often, the recruiting misses over the past four years have caught up to us. Nobody “hits” on recruits 100% of the time, but the misses with Jaden Jones, Reiber, Miller, Palmquist, and probably Chol (who is still unplayable 18 months in), and with Derek really struggling, that’s basically half of the roster.

Pike has certainly had recruiting “wins,” like (A) Mathis, Cliff (despite his performance now), Harper, Geo, Myles, Caleb, Paul, and (B) JMike and Gavin, but there was a 4-year gap in between the former and the latter, and that chicken has come home to roost.

Pike was certainly dealt a bad hand the way Cam and Paul pulled the rug out in May/June. Noah would’ve been a solid complementary piece WITH them, but he’s now put in the position of having to be a go-to guy, and he’s just not up to that task.

I actually predicted 8-3 in the OOC slate, which — assuming we beat Stonehill — is exactly what our OOC record will be. I said in the Season Prediction thread that we would need an adjustment period to acclimate to our new players and new offense, and that we would be a better team in February than we are in November and December.

But what I’ve seen gives me very little hope that this season can be turned around (even a little). I don’t think we can fix the pillow softness and lack of rebounding, as we replaced 6-7 DPOY Caleb McConnell, tough 6-6 Paul Mulcahy, and good positional defender and rebounder and shooter 6-4 Cam Spencer, with 5-11 Noah Fernandes, skinny 6-3 Derek Simpson, freshman 6-2 Jamichael Davis, and rail thin 6-7 Gavin Griffiths. Don’t think this leopard can change its spots.

I also didn’t anticipate that Gavin would struggle so much from the field. I still have hope that he can get his sea legs and start shooting at a decent clip, but it’s just not going to be enough.

Finally, I didn’t anticipate how much Cliff would regress without the same supporting cast. His regression is frankly stunning.

We are staring down the barrel of a 5-15 B1G record, and I don’t see much hope that we can flip that script.

with what?

consider RU does not have one quality out of conference win...yeah SHU is a borderline q1/2 but since they are unlikely a ncaa participant that means RU has nothing of importance on its resume

RU will beat Stonehill and be 8-4. Nothing short of 20 wins puts them in realistic contention for a bid given their current ooc resume. Do you think this team is goiing 12-7 the rest of the way...do you think they are beating osu or Iowa on the road because if they dont, do you see them going 12-5 after that.

The sample size is getting better.....RU lost 4 games to teams that on average they will have to beat in the Big 10. Some like Illinois are legit elite 8 schools. Princeton and Miss State are ncaa bound. Wake likely not. RU looked messy in all 4 of those games. None of them they threaten to win in the last 5 minutes. Some constants are showing from loss to loss. Seton Hall win was nice..great, Mag was back and RU shot unbelievably from 3. Non conference play vs weak teams has been sketchy at times. One consistent thing is the inconsistency of the players performance. The talent does not seem to be there. Its okay but im going to push back on saying calm down. There are no Geos and Rons to save us this year.
The team is so uncharacteristic of our Coach and our Rutgers identity that it is damn shocking. We have no toughness , no one crashes the boards , no one elevates his effort , almost no one goes after rebounds especially on the defensive end. It was embarrassing today. Prior years a double team by Cliff and Mag on the opponent center ( EDey ) would lead to a turnover , a block , and transition the other way. Cliff couldn’t even wall up to Wells today and looked or played like he was 6’5 with no jump or energy. Where is the explosion? Where is the fight ?

I am done defending Derek and to an extent Gavin. Derek misses so many wide open shots that it crushes our spirit and drive to push ahead. 5 footer , 7 footer , 12 footer , 15 footer or 20 footer. He just cannot shoot. Where has all the off season work gone or is this what has resulted from it ? This game is a simple win with Derek just having a normal shooting night. He also let his offensive struggles affect his defense and his foul on Wells , which was a swipe but should have been a karate chop lead to a crucial 3 point play for Mississippi State. Our small guards , especially Noah and Derek got exposed by their guards backing us down and their guards were super small but tough as nails. Bad break with JMike getting hurt on that awkward play with Oskar since he has the toughness. But the overall lack of good guard passing to get the ball to Cliff or anyone else in position to do something with it is an indictment of the guard play.

Gavin has to grow up and stop thinking this is high school. Cannot throw lazy cross court passes and cannot shoot when he is not set. He has to get his feet set , square his body , use his follow through all the way. His missing wide open shots for someone who is a great shooter is just killing us now. He also can do more everywhere else starting with the backboards. Go grab some damn rebounds , block some shots , do more out there.
The failure of Cliff, Derek and Gavin today is where we are at. The lack of toughness and physicality is damn shocking.

Pike doesn’t get a pass either , going for Derek too long on the first half , not setting more screens and staggered screens for Gavin and Aundre. Aundre had his best game ever against a good opponent and it went to waste but he could have had 30 instead of 18. Pike does this a lot and it is dreadful and bad coaching but Derek finally hits 2 shots in a row and we got 2 stops on a row and a defensive rebound and we are back to 9 down and he calls a damn timeout. Why kill all your momentum and let Mississippi State regroup. They were already down to 1 timeout and they weren’t going to call another. The crowd would have finally been able to cheer and maybe help get another turnover and make things interesting. That timeout was an F in the coaching seminar and he has done it before and it is an F almost every time. I defend Pike almost always but I am not a cult and when something is terribly wrong it has to be called out.

with what?

There is a lot of be concerned about

The lack of consistency comes back to a lot of new of faces …and a lot of uneveness with injuries to get roles defined and a normal rotation

Plus …we really have four point guards , one shooting guard Williams, 3 smalll forward and one center …we have issues as rhe 2 and 4….so we have point guards playing the 2, and small forwards playing the 3. Dylan and airous fox this in a big way next year ….but it’s going to be a mish-mash this year

It’s gojng to take a while for this group to sort it out….and the” depth “ is confusing the continuity on the court ….contributing to the incohesocn

Personally …I think we need to lower the rotation to 8 players

3 guards for 80 minutes -Jmike , Noah , derek
3 forwards for 80 minutes - aundre , Mawot and Gavin
2 centers for 80 minutes -cliff and wolf

When big E comes back …I think wolf has to sit …he just doesn’t rebound enoogh and we need more rebounding

When and if Jerimah comes back , then pick one, either Derek or Noah have to sit.

Yes this meant that austin and palm are out of the rotation …but something has to give to get 8 guys on the court playing together and get the one the court chemistry improved.

And getting big E and Jerimah get size and potentially better rebounding on the court …because wolf is not getting borards and the amoiuf of minutes noah and Derek play don’t get it done on the boards

If we don’t fix rebounding quick …we are looking at a losing season . Rebounding imprmvmet will determine this teams fate

-Derek can’t take 14 shots. Not unless there is more passing in there . Too many shots he didn’t feel the court to make the pass .

-

Guards are simply not good enough. How many high major schools wanted Noah, Derek, JMike, or Austin Williams?

Derek is especially disappointing because he actually compared decently to Braden Smith, Bruce Thornton, and Dug McDaniel as freshman but those three are now so clearly better as sophomores.
Which is most confounding thing ? All has elevated their play and scoring averages and shooting as sophomores. It is not like Derek is being defended better he is just plain missing shot after shot after shot.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
We need to fall out of love with the 15-20 ft jumper.

Our guards need to get to the rim more often - Fernandes/Davis/Simpson combined for 1-1 from the FT line today.

Fernandes has to pull the trigger more often from the arc - can't go 32 minutes with zero attempts when you're a career .368 shooter

We just need to be tougher overall - we're undersized on the perimeter, and physical play takes our guards right out of the game.

We need to fight harder for positioning to get rebounds - the only person on the team who seemed to know how to rebound today was Hyatt.

Omoruyi was outclassed by a bigger opponent and had no answers.

Pike needs to take Omoruyi out when he gets his 3rd foul early in the 2nd half.

Post game comments Pike says he needs to figure out the rebounding. How?? The size discrepancy today was alarming and I'm not just talking height.

I ll keep it very simple :

- I got to Prudential Center quite early. Saw the size and athleticism of Miss State during warmups and knew it was going to be tough !

- Bought a cheeseburger ( no fries / no drink) and it cost me $17. Next time I come here ( and I was here for seton hall game) , I will eat prior to game or become a food smuggler.

- Poor Cliff was abused. Have no idea what he’s enduring but it’s quite frustrating to say the least - whether it’s bigger defenders and or refs taking him out of the game

- Was disappointed by team reaction when Derek got hit in the face. It appeared only Noah sort of took exception to Derek getting hit.

- Derek was out of control.

- The team is what it is. A team that lacks the ability or will to rebound and a mediocre team that will struggle big time. . We ll win games when we’re clicking in all facets and we ll lose badly in many games just as we did today and against Illinois / Wake etc.

Onto the Pinstripe Bowl….

Reactions: Knightmoves

- I got to Prudential Center quite early. Saw the size and athleticism of Miss State during warmups and knew it was going to be tough !

- Bought a cheeseburger ( no fries / no drink) and it cost me $17. Next time I come here ( and I was here for seton hall game) , I will eat prior to game or become a food smuggler.

- Poor Cliff was abused. Have no idea what he’s enduring but it’s quite frustrating to say the least - whether it’s bigger defenders and or refs taking him out of the game

- Was disappointed by team reaction when Derek got hit in the face. It appeared only Noah sort of took exception to Derek getting hit.

- The team is what it is. A team that lacks the ability or will to rebound and a mediocre team that will struggle big time. . We ll win games when we’re clicking in all facets and we ll lose badly in many games just as we did today and against Illinois / Wake etc.

One of my buds was extremely critical of Rutgers ability to put the ball in the basket.
He also wondered what the big deal was about Gavin.
And who was that out there filling in today for RU's All-Big Ten center ?
But on the bright side he wondered how expensive next year's tickets are gonna be at the RAC.
You know....with guys like Bailey and Harper that can sure as hell score and Sommerville who seems like he could have a low post game and the ability to get some rebounds.
It really blows when the other team gets all of the second and third...and sometimes even fourth shots.

It's really not as complicated as the recap and Pike actually did try and address some of the deficiency that was in place early last season.

A) why bring up a 2023 recruiting item with former commit, Baye Ndongo?? He's not here BUT was recruited to essentially start over Mag up front and matchup against the Illinois, Mississippi State types of players. He would have given RU another lengthy player at the PF, who can run, jump elevate, knock down 3s and rim protect......all the things missing last year and again so far this year.....Ndongo had a double-20-10+ double vs Duke 3 weeks ago and had 21 and 11 in a game in Hawaii in a Christmas tournament the other night.

No one really could know for sure if Karl Hobbs would stay or go......it is easy to say it's Pike's fault, but if you add him to the frontline, it changes how RU looks now and beyond this year...

B) At some point these recaps act as if this season starting out, was drastically different than last season.

When I posted 1000 times this spring and summer that the finish last season was a factor or combination of mostly the guards being a non factor in February and March, it became.a sticking point because Mulcahy and Spencer departed. Nothing is worse or better from last year to this year in the backcourt so far, and it looked like Wake, Illinois, SHU and Mississippi State today (some bad, mixed with some good).....just substitute Northwestern, Michigan, Minnesota and Hofstra from last season to this start to this season.

C) If I can add, then there's another group of fans, who blindly want to say "it was Mag and his injury ".....folks it was the guards mostly, because the guards hold much more responsibility, for team success.

Soooo Mag is back and looks relatively good....he actually looks significantly better than I expected, coming off an ACL....I was told by many, his appearance would help on the glass???

Well, what happened today, was what we saw before his injury last season and saw today. He is a grinder and complimentary player, who plays below the rim.....he gives RU around 8 PPG and 6 rebounds most nights as a development type of player...... and that's where he is today. Even if he grabs 6 or 7 boards instead of just 1, maybe it's closer, but not really.

These items aren't getting resolved because Spencer and Mulcahy left and we now have Noah, Derek and JMike....the guards actually are playing slightly better than what we looked like in February and March.

We are actually where we ended last year, just playing with a mostly smaller, quicker and younger backcourt, until Jeremiah gets cleared soon or doesn't and plays next year. Either way, the backcourt, needed to be overhauled to compliment the 2024-25 roster recruited. If I have to post this for another 6 months, like I have for the past 6 months, so be it.

As fans, we have to be patient with underclassmen.....Mag was a developmental player....he's now a reliable piece most games..

We have to develop JaMicheal Davis, Gavin Griffiths, Derek Simpson and hopefully, see if Woolfolk can get going. Maybe all 4 step up their games and production in January and February, so we see who wants it the most for this year and into next year.

The roster is being overhauled and this is part of that process for 2024-25 to get away from stationary, below the rim players, so we can compete with Illinois, Mississippi States or join the resf of real CBB.

Rebounding isn't getting solved overnight....and it's not a Spencer, Mulcahy or Mag item....those players are not going to win you 20+ games against the B1G or Mississippi State or most Power 5 rosters. Once we accept the roster overhaul as a necessary item, the easier it becomes to look for the development from the underclassmen.

The rebounding issue have been with us. Maybe it gets fixed, but probably it doesnt. Our goals will soon be not playing on Wednesday if we dont fix rebounding

It’s this. Actually the irony (and perhaps bright side) is that considering the extent of the issue we’re otherwise competing pretty well. 29-29 at half for example.

There’s almost no point in discussing other issues if we can’t fix this. Good halfcourt defense goes down the toilet when you fail to grab a defensive board 39% of the time in a game. That’s beyond dreadful (and yes, they grabbed a few rebounds off of missed free throws but that was more than offset by Cliff butterfinger tips out of bounds where nobody was credited with the rebound and side out back to Miss State). So the numbers are real.

Reactions: Kbee3
NJH,

I am wrong often. I admit when i am wrong. Stop ignoring looking at the entire 2022-23 season and ignoring the fact that Mulcahy down the stretch wasnt the Mulcahy that was here the 4 years. Also why is Cliff lost offensively?

Caleb was a GREAT rebounder for his position, but our woes are much greater than his rebounding. What about that?

Our offensive efficiency right now is ranked #200 on KenPom.

Last year, we hovered in the low 100s before sinking to #151 at the end of the year.

This is a humongous drop in offensive efficiency year over year.

Reactions: fatsam98
Our offensive efficiency right now is ranked #200 on KenPom.

Last year, we hovered in the low 100s before sinking to #151 at the end of the year.

This is a humongous drop in offensive efficiency year over year.
This is the key. The defense and rebounding were going to get worse, the point was we'd be smaller but offset that with offensive gains. Hasn't happened.

Rebounding woes are based on lack of size,positioning and effort.The lack of size is a recruiting problem .Positioning and effort are coaching issues that haven't been corrected.Allowing opponents so many extra possessions combined with woeful shooting is a recipe for disaster in basketball.One thing that really concerns me is the lack of player development .Cliff and Myles Johnson have showed little evidence in expanding their offensive skillsets at the center position during their careers at Rutgers.The same can be said for so many other players except for Baker and Harper.This season looks like a down year quickly followed by excitement because there will be elite talent on the team next season.

Reactions: Saint Puppy
If this were the team Pike thought he would have on 5/15, we'd be in much better shape right now. Returning 5 guys with at least 18 starts, expecting to ease Mag back in over the first several games, looking to get valuable experience for Davis/Griffiths that could be built on as sophomores...

...but a few weeks later that plan was in tatters, and we were left scrounging the portal to fill holes with A. Williams and J. Williams.

As it is, we have three undersized guards that struggle to compete consistently at this level. They aren't sharpshooters, and they aren't aggressive to the rim... they like avoiding contact at the top of the key and going for the lowest value shot in college basketball. They also don't rebound, especially on the offensive glass.

Help is coming, but there's a lot that needs to be done to right the ship this season to avoid a spiral. Chemistry is severely lacking and the whole is definitely not more than the sum of its parts as it was during the early part of last season. Pike has his work cut out for him, because with the pieces we have this isn't going to be easy to fix.

Just looking at offensive rebounds....

Last season, the combination of Mulcahy/Spencer/McConnell/Simpson accounted for 3.2/g for the season.
This season, the combination of Fernandes/Davis/Simpson/Griffiths are accounting for 2.0/g against a much lower level of competition through the OOC slate.

Total rebounds....
Last year's four averaged 14.5 RB/g, and this year's four have averaged 10.3/g against mostly Q3/Q4 teams to date.

If this were the team Pike thought he would have on 5/15, we'd be in much better shape right now. Returning 5 guys with at least 18 starts, expecting to ease Mag back in over the first several games, looking to get valuable experience for Davis/Griffiths that could be built on as sophomores...

...but a few weeks later that plan was in tatters, and we were left scrounging the portal to fill holes with A. Williams and J. Williams.

As it is, we have three undersized guards that struggle to compete consistently at this level. They aren't sharpshooters, and they aren't aggressive to the rim... they like avoiding contact at the top of the key and going for the lowest value shot in college basketball. They also don't rebound, especially on the offensive glass.

Help is coming, but there's a lot that needs to be done to right the ship this season to avoid a spiral. Chemistry is severely lacking and the whole is definitely not more than the sum of its parts as it was during the early part of last season. Pike has his work cut out for him, because with the pieces we have this isn't going to be easy to fix.
that word spiral scares me.

I'd like to think you give minutes to guys to see if they can develop and see what we actually have. Is that fair to Hyatt? Does that hurt us in the portal next year if we bring on Fernandes and don't play him what he should play?

I think I know what we have in Simpson. I am not ready to give up on Woolfolk. Gavin's recruiting numbers mean nothing to me....I'd like to know what he is and how/if he fits in with future plans.

You could be staring down at 4-16 with bigger chemistry problems if we don't play to win 100% the rest of the way.

Rebounding woes are based on lack of size,positioning and effort.The lack of size is a recruiting problem .Positioning and effort are coaching issues that haven't been corrected.Allowing opponents so many extra possessions combined with woeful shooting is a recipe for disaster in basketball.One thing that really concerns me is the lack of player development .Cliff and Myles Johnson have showed little evidence in expanding their offensive skillsets at the center position during their careers at Rutgers.The same can be said for so many other players except for Baker and Harper.This season looks like a down year quickly followed by excitement because there will be elite talent on the team next season.
Agree - a few thoughts though....

1. At some point wanting to get better and getting to the next level has to come from the player themselves through hard work. I'm not there, so I can't say whether that is or is not happening.
2. Rebounding is a lot about effort, want and doing things that don't show up on a stat sheet. Not sure that's happening either.
3. I've said it before we don't have a big man asst. coach. All of our Asst. Coaches seem to be former guards. I want somebody who has been in the trenches and played a position similar to mine teaching my big men - I think it's a negative we don't have that.

It’s this. Actually the irony (and perhaps bright side) is that considering the extent of the issue we’re otherwise competing pretty well. 29-29 at half for example.

There’s almost no point in discussing other issues if we can’t fix this. Good halfcourt defense goes down the toilet when you fail to grab a defensive board 39% of the time in a game. That’s beyond dreadful (and yes, they grabbed a few rebounds off of missed free throws but that was more than offset by Cliff butterfinger tips out of bounds where nobody was credited with the rebound and side out back to Miss State). So the numbers are real.
I’m sorry, but anyone who is fooled thinking this game was close wasn‘t paying attention. MSU basically sleptwalk through a game on the road a couple of days before Christmas without their best player and handled us easily, and knew they could put their foot on the gas whenever they needed to by crashing the boards and getting the ball into the paint.

It's really not as complicated as the recap and Pike actually did try and address some of the deficiency that was in place early last season.

A) why bring up a 2023 recruiting item with former commit, Baye Ndongo?? He's not here BUT was recruited to essentially start over Mag up front and matchup against the Illinois, Mississippi State types of players. He would have given RU another lengthy player at the PF, who can run, jump elevate, knock down 3s and rim protect......all the things missing last year and again so far this year.....Ndongo had a double-20-10+ double vs Duke 3 weeks ago and had 21 and 11 in a game in Hawaii in a Christmas tournament the other night.

No one really could know for sure if Karl Hobbs would stay or go......it is easy to say it's Pike's fault, but if you add him to the frontline, it changes how RU looks now and beyond this year...

B) At some point these recaps act as if this season starting out, was drastically different than last season.

When I posted 1000 times this spring and summer that the finish last season was a factor or combination of mostly the guards being a non factor in February and March, it became.a sticking point because Mulcahy and Spencer departed. Nothing is worse or better from last year to this year in the backcourt so far, and it looked like Wake, Illinois, SHU and Mississippi State today (some bad, mixed with some good).....just substitute Northwestern, Michigan, Minnesota and Hofstra from last season to this start to this season.

C) If I can add, then there's another group of fans, who blindly want to say "it was Mag and his injury ".....folks it was the guards mostly, because the guards hold much more responsibility, for team success.

Soooo Mag is back and looks relatively good....he actually looks significantly better than I expected, coming off an ACL....I was told by many, his appearance would help on the glass???

Well, what happened today, was what we saw before his injury last season and saw today. He is a grinder and complimentary player, who plays below the rim.....he gives RU around 8 PPG and 6 rebounds most nights as a development type of player...... and that's where he is today. Even if he grabs 6 or 7 boards instead of just 1, maybe it's closer, but not really.

These items aren't getting resolved because Spencer and Mulcahy left and we now have Noah, Derek and JMike....the guards actually are playing slightly better than what we looked like in February and March.

We are actually where we ended last year, just playing with a mostly smaller, quicker and younger backcourt, until Jeremiah gets cleared soon or doesn't and plays next year. Either way, the backcourt, needed to be overhauled to compliment the 2024-25 roster recruited. If I have to post this for another 6 months, like I have for the past 6 months, so be it.

As fans, we have to be patient with underclassmen.....Mag was a developmental player....he's now a reliable piece most games..

We have to develop JaMicheal Davis, Gavin Griffiths, Derek Simpson and hopefully, see if Woolfolk can get going. Maybe all 4 step up their games and production in January and February, so we see who wants it the most for this year and into next year.

The roster is being overhauled and this is part of that process for 2024-25 to get away from stationary, below the rim players, so we can compete with Illinois, Mississippi States or join the resf of real CBB.

Rebounding isn't getting solved overnight....and it's not a Spencer, Mulcahy or Mag item....those players are not going to win you 20+ games against the B1G or Mississippi State or most Power 5 rosters. Once we accept the roster overhaul as a necessary item, the easier it becomes to look for the development from the underclassmen.
You say so many things some insightful and some just to hear yourself talk.
Initially the loss of Ndongo has been massive. He is killing it and knows how to play offense and defense and how to hit the offensive and defensive boards. So Hobbs leaving and taking Ndongo with him was a big Screwjob to Pike .
The guards , Noah and Derek and Austin have all underachieved or missed so many shots and also being taken to the basket by bigger or faster guards. JMike has been decent and tried to pass the ball to the bigs and run Pike’s 5 play but it is not enough. You cannot get less than 30 points from Noah, Derek, JMike and Austin and expect to win a game. Our guards to this point are a huge disappointment costing us at least 2 games.
Cliff has also cost us at least 2 games and not sure where his energy , explosion , any savvy he developed over the last 3 years has gone . His frustration with the guards has turned him into a no entity on both sides of the court. Pike didn’t expect this.

Mag is absolutely crucial and any success we have this year will be with him on the court as much as his leg can tolerate. Your take on him is wrong and clueless as he is the ultimate glue guy . He is mentally dealing with the injury and is not fully there yet but getting closer. Cliff ‘s complete failure yesterday made the rebounding problem worse and despite the disparity the game was tied at the half . The second half was an abomination in all phases including coaching .

Pike has to get rid of the 5 play and bring Cliff close to the hoop or demand the guards run pick and roll properly. No compromise on that. Get the back screens , staggered screens or double screens and back cuts a part of the offense and the guys moving instead of standing on the corner like statues. We were up 20-15 and should gone up by 10 -14 but we went into a ridiculous 8 minute drought . Change the offensive focus. Hyatt actually played the best game against a quality opponent and his 18 points went to waste when it should have been 30 points. The coaching staff has to do some better coaching and our players who are almost all underachieving their prior performances have to shoot and play better and smarter

What was the small finesse team supposed to do to the big physical team after Derek was hit in the face? Was Fernandes going to punch Bell in the knee? Would not have ended well . . .

I’m sorry, but anyone who is fooled thinking this game was close wasn‘t paying attention. MSU basically sleptwalk through a game on the road a couple of days before Christmas without their best player and handled us easily, and knew they could put their foot on the gas whenever they needed to by crashing the boards and getting the ball into the paint.
You obviously weren’t at the game. We missed , ( Derek ) shot after shot that would have given us a halftime lead and a second half lead . They didn’t handle us easily as their center had a career day because Cliff didn’t show up. Your knowledge about how a team handles another is strange. Illinois handled us. No one else did. It was our underachieving or shot bricking that was the difference

Reactions: Kbee3
You say so many things some insightful and some just to hear yourself talk.
Initially the loss of Ndongo has been massive. He is killing it and knows how to play offense and defense and how to hit the offensive and defensive boards. So Hobbs leaving and taking Ndongo with him was a big Screwjob to Pike .
The guards , Noah and Derek and Austin have all underachieved or missed so many shots and also being taken to the basket by bigger or faster guards. JMike has been decent and tried to pass the ball to the bigs and run Pike’s 5 play but it is not enough. You cannot get less than 30 points from Noah, Derek, JMike and Austin and expect to win a game. Our guards to this point are a huge disappointment costing us at least 2 games.
Cliff has also cost us at least 2 games and not sure where his energy , explosion , any savvy he developed over the last 3 years has gone . His frustration with the guards has turned him into a no entity on both sides of the court. Pike didn’t expect this.

Mag is absolutely crucial and any success we have this year will be with him on the court as much as his leg can tolerate. Your take on him is wrong and clueless as he is the ultimate glue guy . He is mentally dealing with the injury and is not fully there yet but getting closer. Cliff ‘s complete failure yesterday made the rebounding problem worse and despite the disparity the game was tied at the half . The second half was an abomination in all phases including coaching .

Pike has to get rid of the 5 play and bring Cliff close to the hoop or demand the guards run pick and roll properly. No compromise on that. Get the back screens , staggered screens or double screens and back cuts a part of the offense and the guys moving instead of standing on the corner like statues. We were up 20-15 and should gone up by 10 -14 but we went into a ridiculous 8 minute drought . Change the offensive focus. Hyatt actually played the best game against a quality opponent and his 18 points went to waste when it should have been 30 points. The coaching staff has to do some better coaching and our players who are almost all underachieving their prior performances have to shoot and play better and smarter
Unfortunately they won’t be changing the offense midseason. Had 3 months before the season started to work this out.

Unfortunately they won’t be changing the offense midseason. Had 3 months before the season started to work this out.
Good coaching is realizing it is not working. Pike has enough in his tool bag to make adjustments. That is what good coaches do and I think Pike is a good coach. He just didn’t expect 4-5 guys he was relying upon to all underachieve badly.

You obviously weren’t at the game. We missed , ( Derek ) shot after shot that would have given us a halftime lead and a second half lead . They didn’t handle us easily as their center had a career day because Cliff didn’t show up. Your knowledge about how a team handles another is strange. Illinois handled us. No one else did. It was our underachieving or shot bricking that was the difference
First of all, MSU wasn’t playing all that hard, because they didn’t need to. Secondly, I am sure MSU has happy to let Derek Simpson take as many low percentage off balance mid range shots he wanted, so they could clean up the rebounds. Third, there is a reason the game doesn’t end at half time.

Good coaching is realizing it is not working. Pike has enough in his tool bag to make adjustments. That is what good coaches do and I think Pike is a good coach. He just didn’t expect 4-5 guys he was relying upon to all underachieve badly.
Completely changing your offense midseason is not happening, not enough time to practice. Minor adjustments are fine, but no team in college is changing their offense midway through the season.

When someone pegs you in the face with a basketball and you do nothing about it, that sums up the character of the team.

Sometimes you need to get thrown out to set a tone.
I was happy to see Noah step up there, but the smallest guy on the floor probably shouldn’t be the one to send that message.

It was 29-29 going to half. I know i wasnt thinking it was over.

Yo
First of all, MSU wasn’t playing all that hard, because they didn’t need to. Secondly, I am sure MSU has happy to let Derek Simpson take as many low percentage off balance mid range shots he wanted, so they could clean up the rebounds. Third, there is a reason the game doesn’t end at half time.
Now you being nonsensical. You didn’t think Mississippi State played hard. All those rebounds just came to them. Their guards didn’t prenetrate hard and make tough buckets in traffic ? Bell had a career game with points and rebounds. Get a clue. We played a shit second half and most of that was due to Rutgers , very little to do with MSU. Glad you think a tied game at half was a sleep walk for MSU. You are lost.

When someone pegs you in the face with a basketball and you do nothing about it, that sums up the character of the team.

Sometimes you need to get thrown out to set a tone.
At the game yesterday, I didn’t think it was intentional because it happened so fast. As soon as I got home and watched the replay, there was no question he drilled him in the head intentionally.

Reactions: RUskoolie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT