ADVERTISEMENT

3 PT improvement a must in 2024-25

It's disastrous, and its shooting of all kinds, guarded, unguarded, smart or stupid. The one constant is the bad shooting. Here are the team's woeful rankings among its peers:

FT shooting: 330th
2pt shooting: 353th
3pt shooting: 341th

This should be the headline of an article. It's incredible.
Putrid shooting was the first paragraph of a recent Star Ledger article.Defense can keep you in games but woeful offense looses games.

Incidentally, Minnesota shot 70% from three tonight and made 14 threes in a losing effort by giving up more than a hundred points to Illinois. Incredible box score for a game that didn’t go to OT…
Well this just goes to show that offense isn’t the answer and the game is all about defense. (Am I doing this right?)

• Haha
Reactions: NickRU714
In the middle of the open practice Pike yelled to the players: “Defense is who we are.” . . . .
I love how Pike has his clubs playing defense and rebounding. It is the genesis of his success. But I don't like: "Defense is who we are." We should never be 1/2 the game. It's bitten him in the butt more than once, including the last two years.

Reactions: Unionst and RUsojo
Well this just goes to show that offense isn’t the answer and the game is all about defense. (Am I doing this right?)
I wasn't stating any point of view. When I saw that box score right after reading this thread, it made me think about this context and the need for some sort of balance between offense and defense focus.

I wasn't stating any point of view. When I saw that box score right after reading this thread, it made me think about this context and the need for some sort of balance between offense and defense focus.
Sorry, it wasn’t meant to be a shot at you specifically. I was just piggybacking off your post.

Reactions: FastMJ
Reactions: biazza38
Geo was not that good a 3pt shooter in our two best seasons, Covid year and NCAA appearance he shot 29% from 3. He took the most 3s on the team. Rest min 100 att:

McConnell 24% (least minutes played)
Montez Mathis 30%
Jacob Young 33%
Harper 34%
Yeboah 35%

Paul 38% on just a little less volume.

We shot very well from 3 in our best years from our guys that played the most minutes.

Crucial going forward
if you go to my post above (#17) and expand on the Post from Hawk you can see exactly what you are saying there. I inserted those very numbers for each year. We got too many guys who think they an shoot the 3 taking them.

Geo was never this GREAT 3 point shooter. He was just clutch at times and that's all folks want to remember. Over the last 6 years there have been VERY FEW good years by a couple of guys.

Reactions: Scangg and RUsojo
That's unadjusted which is pointless. Use kenpom numbers.

Some unadjusted metrics work just fine to illustrate the point. The 2020-21 team made 44.9% of their shots good for a national ranking of 122. While a poor 3 point shooting team (albeit better than the current team), that team was very reliable from 2 and wasn’t badly plagued by scoring droughts. JY was huge for us in this respect.

this is definitely true
The elephant in the room is HOW much our total shot quality is affected by an opposition that can help on the post and penetration and playing off guys ….and jamming the lanes to penetrate and interior pass…and therefore making the shots percentage we take inside the arc go down a lot

My opinion …A LOT more than what’s been talked about …and while I think we can coach the offense schemes better, I think there isn’t as much we can scheme out of this with coaching as people beliece

We had two games where we shot it well from three against major opponents …the Hall and Wisconsin . If I am coaching against us, I continue to jam the middle and help all over and let us bomb away from three as much as we want untik we proven otherwise

That …and maybe the Michigan road game …are the only games we shot our way to a win against a power 5 school.

It’s good odds against us to continue to do so….and if I’m an opposing coach against , most likely , Worse case I get into a rock fight with RU if I’m not shooting well. And if I am…I have a good chance at a W

The stats show this ….

It's disastrous, and its shooting of all kinds, guarded, unguarded, smart or stupid. The one constant is the bad shooting. Here are the team's woeful rankings among its peers:

FT shooting: 330th
2pt shooting: 353th
3pt shooting: 341th

This should be the headline of an article. It's incredible.
Bingo! It is not just RU's 3-point shooting it is ALL shooting. It is true that defense can win championships, but not when you are in the bottom 1 percentile in offense. !

It’s pretty well defined the teams that win titles have a specific range of both offensive and defensive efficiency top 20 metrics by kenpom every year.

I believe there are a small handful of offensive outliers where a champion has top 20 D and maybe top 40 O, but in those cases they usually have a standout elite scorer (think Kemba) who is all American level or NBA level and elevates the offense on their tournament run.

Now this is to not to say the standard is title contender. But to KNOW for certain offense and defense need the same level of emphasis to win on high levels and then not treat them with similar importance is program building malpractice.

The elephant in the room is HOW much our total shot quality is affected by an opposition that can help on the post and penetration and playing off guys ….and jamming the lanes to penetrate and interior pass…and therefore making the shots percentage we take inside the arc go down a lot

My opinion …A LOT more than what’s been talked about …and while I think we can coach the offense schemes better, I think there isn’t as much we can scheme out of this with coaching as people beliece

We had two games where we shot it well from three against major opponents …the Hall and Wisconsin . If I am coaching against us, I continue to jam the middle and help all over and let us bomb away from three as much as we want untik we proven otherwise

That …and maybe the Michigan road game …are the only games we shot our way to a win against a power 5 school.

It’s good odds against us to continue to do so….and if I’m an opposing coach against , most likely , Worse case I get into a rock fight with RU if I’m not shooting well. And if I am…I have a good chance at a W

The stats show this ….
Certainly true and imo a point that illustrates the difference hats/skill sets and coach is required to have to excel.

Roster construction is a different skill than coaching (of course there is some overlap). As is managing players, team togetherness, analytical understanding, scheduling strategy, etc.

A successful coach has to be willing to improve in all these areas.

Incidentally, Minnesota shot 70% from three tonight and made 14 threes in a losing effort by giving up more than a hundred points to Illinois. Incredible box score for a game that didn’t go to OT…

This is an insane outlier though

The same guy who screamed loud and proud that Cam Spencer isn't that good and we wouldn't miss him is now complaining about lack of 3 point shooting

Sad Tim Robinson GIF by The Lonely Island

I mean it's a joke. You win the game if your points > opponent's points and you can accomplish that by raising your points or lowering the opponent's points. Each point is worth the same amount.
is it easier to score +10 points and go from a team scoring 55 to one scoring 65 or is it easier to hold a team scoring 55 to 45? Something in me says yeah 10 is 10 but upside always seems easier than compressing when you're already fairly compressed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT