ADVERTISEMENT

Cameron Spencer's parents with thinly veiled shots at the RU coaching staff and the Big Ten

To be fair these are basically nonsense words. In order to "think you are not being held accountable" you need to be self-aware of things you should be "held accountable" for which basically defeats the purpose of being held accountable in the first place. If Cam was aware of things he was doing wrong but too weak to correct them himself that might say something about Pike but it says more about Cam.

IMO this entire thread is people reading into comments (both old and new) and interpreting them to support their own their pre-existing biases. IMO not everyone is a wordsmith and most quotes from family/teammates/coaches etc....(either current or previous) are generally supportive & positive of that player's then situation and choices and not to demean or condemn previous.

Imagine if someone on this message board said ….

“Cam Spencer should leave the Big10 because the Big10 is not athletic enough for cam Spencer”

We’d laugh at that person for making such a ridiculous statement yet that’s basically what Daddy Spencer said. Lol

I think the biggest takeaway I have is that Cam was clearly not the right fit for the culture at Rutgers. He probably never should have played here. Just because he has an insane motor and level of intensity for all things basketball, doesn't mean there is a lack of accountability at Rutgers under Pike. It just takes on a different form.

That's the way I would present it if I were Cam's parents. Anything else looks low class since everything has worked out for Cam in the end.

The question of what "accountability" at Rutgers should look like is interesting and it would have been nice if people just spelled it out instead of talking in circles around it.

His entire basis for that was this quote:

“I don’t even know how to describe it but it was the first time as a mom that I felt like, besides Cliff Reese at Boys Latin, somebody saw Cam’s intensity as a positive,” said Spencer’s mother
His mom and dad are full of it. They are trying to set their child up to put him in the best position to get to the next level. anything thing they say needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

If rutgers had NIL money he would still be in scarlet. Very simple.

His mother is implying pikiell saw his intensity as a negative? I am sure pikiell just hates kids who are intense.

Apparently the Harper family is fine with accountability and athleticism in the big ten. It’s ok to say you left for money. Who he chose after that is not a reflection on rutgers. The timing of it is unfortunate but that’s on the system not the players imo.

I don’t know, It’s hard to argue that guard play in the Big East isn’t better than the Big Ten though.

I don't know how many times I can say this, he is a complimentary player. He is not a 1st or 2nd option on UConn, he scored all of 5 points yesterday and UConn still beat Seton Hall by 30.

In terms of RU overpaying for Spencer, they didn't love Cam and the price tag associated with him, in comparison to other options in recruiting or 2024 classes and beyond. I don't know why fans are still discussing this, they made the best decision in terms of investing elsewhere for talent for the 2024 class. Anyone arguing against Ace Bailey, Dylan Harper and company and would rather have Cam Spencer?? I wouldn't have made that call based on last year.

There are finite funds available and no it doesn't mean this was all NIL. RU can make plays for certain recruits but we are not Michigan State, UConn or others with the capability of buying up anyone and everyone and RU shouldn't live exclusively in that space.

I would feel very confident that finding a quality addition via the portal this offseason, would be a better investment than going all in on this current season. If fans disagree with that, I am not here to say it's OK, you have a right to believe RU would be better. I don't agree.

Knowing what we know today, it clearly makes more sense to have JWill in the program (since he has eligibility left and in line to play in 2024-25). We probably didn't have a clear role for JWill here for this year, if Spencer was still here.

Nothing is guaranteed in college sports these days, but I feel 100% certain, RU made the right call here. I mean, if RU was so bad or troubling for the Spencer family, why do they keep talking about RU....?? I find it odd that if you are in line for the Top overall #1 seed, why would you be so concerned with RU....??

Just something to consider folks, not sure Cam is all he's cracked up to be, behind the scenes.
Of course Cam is not all he is cracked up to be behind the scenes. He obviously has issues if he needs to be held accountable.

Johnny Manzel's dad said the same thing about Texas A&M. Said they didnt hold Johnny accountable. Turns out johnny being a great football player didnt prevent him from being a huge douche.

Bottom line! It’s March, at Rutgers it’s time to talk about Rutgers Football
🏈
If we are in the same situation next year it’s on Pike no more excuses!

Reactions: Plum Street
My theory is that UConn would never have bothered with him if it weren't for Georgetown. People associated with Georgetown influenced Cam to enter the portal. Once he was in the portal, only then did UConn pursue him. So although he ended up at UConn, Georgetown was the reason he's not at Rutgers.

Revisionist history and an interview from the dudes the parents that is the equivalent of “please excuse my son for not doing his book report this weekend as he had a stomach virus” - Signed Mom Spencer.

The mods and everyone close to this situation last year reported nothing other than Cam being Happy loving Pike and then bolting at the 11th hour once his value went through the roof after the portal closed. And the intel was that it was not UCONN was initially in the picture it was Georgetown that cracked him loose.

I would expect his parents to find whatever shred they can and manipulate, amplify, augment and spin their narrative to make their son look the best possible and not like a kid who left his team high and dry at the 11th hour.

Seeing this report for anything other than a parent spinning for their kid is a mistake.

Props to @LeapinLou for winning the thread by recalling the key facts first.

Reactions: mugrat86
Maybe he wasn't referring to himself being held accountable.

I'm not sure if anyone was held accountable for not getting the ball to Omoyruyi after yesterday's loss @ Nebraska...after this game plan worked so well against UM the previous game
Sure they were held accountable. The selfish players got one less snack on the flight home from Lincoln. But their PT and volume shooting of course will not be curtailed in the least.

Reactions: socaldave
Yeah, I know the ship sailed on this guy a long time ago but these are the most honest comments anyone close to him has stated publicly about his time here and his departure.

From his father:

“Cam had been speaking with Rutgers about what the following year was going to look like, and he just wanted to play at the highest level he possibly could play,” Bruce said. “That doesn’t mean Big Ten players don’t make it to the NBA, but for Cameron, for the style of play in the Big Ten and the way he plays the game, and the perception of him as being less athletic than the next kid, being in a more athletic environment to see whether he would sink or swim was pretty important in our eyes.”

From his mother:

“I remember being at the airport after the UConn visit and saying to Bruce, ‘If he doesn’t come here, he’s crazy,’” Donna said. “Bruce was like, ‘You can’t say that, it has to be his decision.’ The four of us, when we sat down, it was just a no-brainer and he’s never looked back. It’s been such a great experience. The Rutgers opportunity was fantastic and he’s very appreciative of it, but I think what he loves about UConn is the way they hold them accountable."

Good for Cam.
His college journey from high school took him to Loyola of Maryland where he outgrew that program and left after his sophomore year,
Decided Rutgers was a program that he might shine at and once he proved he was a good one set his sights on what he and his parents felt would be a program that he could showcase his talents better.
Out of the ones they looked at after deciding Rutgers wasn't the type f program that fit his talents best, UConn won Cam's affection and the final result was the Spensers felt the right decision was made and Connecticut wound up with a player that is helping the Huskies be one of the best in college men's basketball
Cam Spencer is part of the mercenary movement in college basketball and good programs won't hold that against them while fan-basses welcome them with open arms.

Some like me can whine about loyalty , but in reality the loyalty coaches had was based on talent and those not thought to be helping a program might just be advised that it would be better for them to find a new home so the coach could bring in someone thought better.
Cam transferred in and left the same way, only instead of being nudged out for lack of talent , it was he felt better then both programs he left behind on his road to UConn

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Good for Cam.
His college journey from high school took him to Loyola of Maryland where he outgrew that program and left after his sophomore year,
Decided Rutgers was a program that he might shine at and once he proved he was a good one set his sights on what he and his parents felt would be a program that he could showcase his talents better.
Out of the ones they looked at after deciding Rutgers wasn't the type f program that fit his talents best, UConn won Cam's affection and the final result was the Spensers felt the right decision was made and Connecticut wound up with a player that is helping the Huskies be one of the best in college men's basketball
Cam Spencer is part of the mercenary movement in college basketball and good programs won't hold that against them while fan-basses welcome them with open arms.

Some like me can whine about loyalty , but in reality the loyalty coaches had was based on talent and those not thought to be helping a program might just be advised that it would be better for them to find a new home so the coach could bring in someone thought better.
Cam transferred in and left the same way, only instead of being nudged out for lack of talent , it was he felt better then both programs he left behind on his road to UConn

Bottom line Cam got 500,000 from UCONN. We did not have that kind of money to give him.
Shouldn't they have had to pay him less of they offered him more on the basketball side?

I do think it's worth discussing that the three most obviously (or at least most outwardly) competitive players Pikiell has had have all transferred out - Eugene, Paul, and Cam.
I think Ron Harper was highly competitive.He wanted the ball at crunch time to make winning baskets such as the mid court shot at the RAC to defeat Purdue.

The biggest issue in the end is recent recruiting.

It’s actually insane when you look at recruiting at the last few years juxtaposed to 2024.
I wouldn't call a player that has been one of the the leading scorers for UConn including games scoring over 20 points a complementary player.Seton Hall's defensive focus was on limiting 3 pointers from Spencer and Caravan allowing UConn to score at will around the basket.

Reactions: biazza38
Pikiell stated numerous times that Spencer never gave him a chance to match.
Pikiell had the first crack and wasn’t enough. Sounds like there wasn’t a strong enough relationship there to trust whatever pike may have said the second time. Amongst other things ofc.

How many guys on this years team are actually earning their minutes from one game to the next versus playing because we don’t have anyone better? Let’s face it, a lot of our five person combinations leave much to be desired.

Bottom line Cam got 500,000 from UCONN. We did not have that kind of money to give him.
I think it was more in the $250,000 range, but UConn was desperate, and much more motivated than Rutgers because they had a major hole to fill on a very talented team.

Honest question - would Spencer have even been on the UConn radar if not for his breakout season in the BIG? Who else was after this guy when we got him?
He visited mid-major power Loyola-Chicago and was pursued by Minnesota and N.C. State but never visited.

He was the 9th-rated player in the portal. He was considered a good get by Pike.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/2022/04/sharpshooting-transfer-cam-spencer-details-why-he-chose-rutgers-steve-pikiell.html?_gl=1*16d9fu7*_ga*VzRnU01maVU5VUE4am1GQTVwRHZsTXdLRkx3VThQUkF1UFpYak8zQ3FodWtVdS12Wi1iWk1lZmx6d25DSXM5MA..*_ga_NTKKSXTDHG*MTcwOTYxMjYxOS4xNi4xLjE3MDk2MTI2MTkuMC4wLjA.&amp_bc=1*1ydry4w*amp_cid*Z3BDNmZjTEFfVzIxLVFCWlU5RnBEMUpKTS1sZ1FUUHlxR1hpdUp6c19aT1JtWld6UmJMc3M5ZGxzZmRwQjFqdQ..

Why did OP try to make this something? Its nothing. I imagine he got paid AND went to a defending national champion in a conference that would protect its champ rather than eat us alive on calls.

Hard to say NO THANK YOU to that.

Guess he just didn't put down roots here... and won't do so there either. He's good though.. we all saw that.

My take on the parents’ explanation is that he wanted to show he could play at the highest level of CBB with some of the best players on a bigger stage.

If they are to be believed, It wasnt primarily a money grab (which Is ok too). I don’t understand the ‘accountability’ point, however.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Doesn't mean they (Harper family) aren't making a mistake.

I think the combination of playing in the B1G and a program that requires you to expend a ton of energy on D is a bad combination when you are trying to show the world how your game relates to the NBA.
Do you watch alot of basketball?

Cam is a grown man and a college graduate. It’s pathetic his parents are speaking on his behalf. It’s ok mommy and daddy to let Cam handle this stuff.
My sentiments exactly. At 24, many young people are on teir own and a couple of years into their careers or grad school. I was pretty much on my own since 18, making my own life decisions.

I don't knock him for having his parent involved. Most of these high level guys have someone advising.

My take is they are all a bunch of A-type personalities. Cam is likely super intense. Look at his brother - guy was the best NCAA lacrosse player and gave it up for basketball at NW and now pursuing the NBA. Assume this is a typical exchange in the Spencer household:

Cam still can't play defense. Very good shooter, but also very limited. IMO his parents have an overly high opinion of his ability. He scores 10 and gives up 9. So what?
Spencer plays more minutes than any other UConn player and the second leading scorer on a team with outstanding talent at every position.Fans can be upset that Spencer left late in the recruiting period but his value to UConn can't be disputed,

Why did OP try to make this something? Its nothing. I imagine he got paid AND went to a defending national champion in a conference that would protect its champ rather than eat us alive on calls.

Hard to say NO THANK YOU to that.

Guess he just didn't put down roots here... and won't do so there either. He's good though.. we all saw that.
Yeah, I don't see anything in that article as in any way critical of or derogatory about Rutgers. It's fun to joint the defending champions and be an important part of a near-perfect lineup. That's all I got from it, except that I didn't know he was from Davidsonville (just a few miles from where I grew up)...

Pikiell had the first crack and wasn’t enough. Sounds like there wasn’t a strong enough relationship there to trust whatever pike may have said the second time. Amongst other things ofc.
Cam could take an educated guess on what kind of RU booster Nil support he could get to stay.
Pike could try , but matching UConn would be hard.
Spenser knew if he waited UConn would just find another talent in the portal to
pay to play..
Can't blame Pike for not getting the bucks quick enough.
In the mercenary world of portal following the money , waiting for the program your at out of loyalty will get you seeing the money another program offered go to someone else
Can knew he had to take what UConn was offering ASAP or lose it to who UConn had next on their list.

Cam could take an educated guess on what kind of RU booster Nil support he could get to stay.
Pike could try , but matching UConn would be hard.
Spenser knew if he waited UConn would just find another talent in the portal to
pay to play..
Can't blame Pike for not getting the bucks quick enough.
In the mercenary world of portal following the money , waiting for the program your at out of loyalty will get you seeing the money another program offered go to someone else
Can knew he had to take what UConn was offering ASAP or lose it to who UConn had next on their list.
right. carpe diem. who here will pass on a great job offer because the current employer might not find an equal replacement ? Probably not a single one of you. Timing is everything, and Cam did what's best for Cam. Good for him.

Any Cam-disgruntled homer who says it was fine that he transfer here because the timing didn't especially hurt Loyola is looking to justify their homer opinion.

To be fair these are basically nonsense words. In order to "think you are not being held accountable" you need to be self-aware of things you should be "held accountable" for which basically defeats the purpose of being held accountable in the first place. If Cam was aware of things he was doing wrong but too weak to correct them himself that might say something about Pike but it says more about Cam.
Why does everyone assume it was he who wasn't held accountable. I take the comment to mean other players weren't held accountable.

Reactions: ILikePike
His entire basis for that was this quote:

“I don’t even know how to describe it but it was the first time as a mom that I felt like, besides Cliff Reese at Boys Latin, somebody saw Cam’s intensity as a positive,” said Spencer’s mother

Cam was too INTENSE!!!

LOL

reminds me of this video...

Last edited:
Why does everyone assume it was he who wasn't held accountable. I take the comment to mean other players weren't held accountable.
Yeah that could be a fair reading. I still think this is all just basically fluff. The dude got paid and is a major piece on a national title contender. That’s why he left. The rest is all noise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT