ADVERTISEMENT

Cameron Spencer's parents with thinly veiled shots at the RU coaching staff and the Big Ten

Local Shill

Hall of Famer
Aug 30, 2001
Easton Avenue's finest gin mills
Yeah, I know the ship sailed on this guy a long time ago but these are the most honest comments anyone close to him has stated publicly about his time here and his departure.

From his father:

“Cam had been speaking with Rutgers about what the following year was going to look like, and he just wanted to play at the highest level he possibly could play,” Bruce said. “That doesn’t mean Big Ten players don’t make it to the NBA, but for Cameron, for the style of play in the Big Ten and the way he plays the game, and the perception of him as being less athletic than the next kid, being in a more athletic environment to see whether he would sink or swim was pretty important in our eyes.”

From his mother:

“I remember being at the airport after the UConn visit and saying to Bruce, ‘If he doesn’t come here, he’s crazy,’” Donna said. “Bruce was like, ‘You can’t say that, it has to be his decision.’ The four of us, when we sat down, it was just a no-brainer and he’s never looked back. It’s been such a great experience. The Rutgers opportunity was fantastic and he’s very appreciative of it, but I think what he loves about UConn is the way they hold them accountable."

Last edited:
Well Cam certainly had the inside knowledge of the problems we would have with the returning guards, and Cliff's inconsistent inside game, and quickly diagnosed he would be R main (only?) outside scoring threat again. UConned was easily the better spot for him as they are loaded with offense talent that would prevent BE defenses from keying on him. He is a very smart player and strong shooter. I highly doubt he has the game and athleticism for an NBA career, but he might be playing his way into some nice overseas opportunities.

Yeah, I know the ship sailed on this guy a long time ago but these are the most honest comments anyone close to him has stated publicly about his time here and his departure.

From his father:

“Cam had been speaking with Rutgers about what the following year was going to look like, and he just wanted to play at the highest level he possibly could play,” Bruce said. “That doesn’t mean Big Ten players don’t make it to the NBA, but for Cameron, for the style of play in the Big Ten and the way he plays the game, and the perception of him as being less athletic than the next kid, being in a more athletic environment to see whether he would sink or swim was pretty important in our eyes.”

From his mother:

“I remember being at the airport after the UConn visit and saying to Bruce, ‘If he doesn’t come here, he’s crazy,’” Donna said. “Bruce was like, ‘You can’t say that, it has to be his decision.’ The four of us, when we sat down, it was just a no-brainer and he’s never looked back. It’s been such a great experience. The Rutgers opportunity was fantastic and he’s very appreciative of it, but I think what he loves about UConn is the way they hold them accountable.

I know for a fact the parents were not fond of Pikiell to say the least I knew he was out of here!!

Reactions: scottsdaleal
I do think it's worth discussing that the three most obviously (or at least most outwardly) competitive players Pikiell has had have all transferred out - Eugene, Paul, and Cam.

Each of them had very different experiences and situations at Rutgers….and all left for different reasons.

Also not sure how you can measure “competitiveness”.

So not sure what there would be to discuss?

Reactions: satnom and cm_13
Ya they aren't huge digs at Rutgers. He wanted to be on a better team, as to not limit his ceiling. Go to another team where hes not going to be double teamed. That's just what sports are in 2024. Kids aren't committed to 1 place and will jump ship if there is a better opporunity (for money or for opportunity).

If Cam was in our line up all year, we wouldnt be 355/362 .... we'd be like 255/362, we'd still a bad offense. He made the right choice.

The timing of him leaving is the issue.

Unrelated to the topic at hand BUT

Interesting how wild the journey for both him and his brother have been as basketball players

His brother a lacrosse player turned average season at Northwestern turned into an NBA player

Coaches not appreciating or adapting to his personality was pretty eye opening too.

Even so, the chance to play for a national coach of the year with Hurley is pretty enticing. Hard to turn down the best coach in the country especially if he appreciates his fire.

Honestly, his parents seem really aware of the basketball landscape in general and what their son needed.

Says a lot, wow. The accountability thing is very interesting.
Makes you wonder, which we are allowed to do as Fans!
The fact it took Pike till we were 6-10 in the Big before he Challenged his Big man.
The combinations on the court.
The offseason roster mismanagement.
The staff which is not complementary to the needs of this team.
Add it to Cam’s inside comments about accountability.
This current team reeks of lack of accountability.
He should read some books, start with some Phil Jackson literature.
Pike has 2 positive’s going for him next year.
This year was a disaster and that’s on him.
If he can’t turn this program into a top tier Big 10 team which should be the expectation, and what he is getting paid to do.
It is the beginning of the end for him.

Last edited:
Honest question - would Spencer have even been on the UConn radar if not for his breakout season in the BIG? Who else was after this guy when we got him?
My theory is that UConn would never have bothered with him if it weren't for Georgetown. People associated with Georgetown influenced Cam to enter the portal. Once he was in the portal, only then did UConn pursue him. So although he ended up at UConn, Georgetown was the reason he's not at Rutgers.

I do think it's worth discussing that the three most obviously (or at least most outwardly) competitive players Pikiell has had have all transferred out - Eugene, Paul, and Cam.
Say what?? LMAO

Jacob Young transferred into RU, competed hard almost every night.

Also Caleb McConnell says hello.

Cam isn't that competitive, let's call him smart in picking a program with the most support around him. He's not capable of carrying a normal Power 5 program, but playing in a complimentary role at UConn suits his game.

Say what?? LMAO

Jacob Young transferred into RU, competed hard almost every night.

Also Caleb McConnell says hello.

Cam isn't that competitive, let's call him smart in picking a program with the most support around him. He's not capable of carrying a normal Power 5 program, but playing in a complimentary role at UConn suits his game.
lets be fair in defining "complementary" hes their 2nd leading scorer, 2nd in assists, and leading 3 point shooter on the best team in the country

he is also first in minutes so hardly complementary

lets be fair in defining "complementary" hes their 2nd leading scorer, 2nd in assists, and leading 3 point shooter on the best team in the country

he is also first in minutes so hardly complementary
He’s way more than a complementary piece. Not having to shoulder the entire load on offense is a benefit to his game but anyone putting up the type of numbers he is on as good of a team as he’s on can’t be considered a complementary player.

Unrelated to the topic at hand BUT

Interesting how wild the journey for both him and his brother have been as basketball players

His brother a lacrosse player turned average season at Northwestern turned into an NBA player
My understanding is that the brother did not like how Cam was used at Rutgers and let it be known at least around the program all last year. Not sure if at all direct to Coach.

Cam did what he felt was best for Cam. Coming to Rutgers, leaving Rutgers. We thought we had adopted him. We just rented him. So it goes.

My understanding is that the brother did not like how Cam was used at Rutgers and let it be known at least around the program all last year. Not sure if at all direct to Coach.

Cam did what he felt was best for Cam. Coming to Rutgers, leaving Rutgers. We thought we had adopted him. We just rented him. So it goes.
All of this was fine. He should’ve just left sooner and not indicated he was returning. Water under the bridge now. Move on.

It's OK to downplay it but it's simply not true that many people here said Cam thought he wasn't held accountable.
I wasn’t referring to that. I was referring to going to a defending NC with better returning talent.

Multiple veteran posters claiming to have known things a long time ago but none said a word about it until now.
Cat’s out of the bag. Ok to say stuff I wouldn’t otherwise have shared.
FWIW, I am not endorsing or agreeing with what others have said.
I am happy sticking with my Coach and in believing he knows basketball stratospheres more than I do. I like Pike. And respect him.

Coaches not appreciating or adapting to his personality was pretty eye opening too.

Even so, the chance to play for a national coach of the year with Hurley is pretty enticing. Hard to turn down the best coach in the country especially if he appreciates his fire.

Honestly, his parents seem really aware of the basketball landscape in general and what their son needed.

Please expand and provide details to what this is supposed to mean.

Says a lot, wow. The accountability thing is very interesting.
Makes you wonder, which we are allowed to do as Fans!
The fact it took Pike till we were 6-10 in the Big before he Challenged his Big man.
The combinations on the court.
The offseason roster mismanagement.
The staff which is not complementary to the needs of this team.
Add it to Cam’s inside comments about accountability.
This current team reeks of lack of accountability.
He should read some books, start with some Phil Jackson literature.
Pike has 2 positive’s going for him next year.
This year was a disaster and that’s on him.
If he can’t turn this program into a top tier Big 10 team which should be the expectation, and what he is getting paid to do.
It is the beginning of the end for him.
Thanks for the clarity.

It's OK to downplay it but it's simply not true that many people here said Cam thought he wasn't held accountable.
Maybe he wasn't referring to himself being held accountable.

I'm not sure if anyone was held accountable for not getting the ball to Omoyruyi after yesterday's loss @ Nebraska...after this game plan worked so well against UM the previous game

Mom said no coach considered his personality a positive. It’s in article.

I had read the article - thought you were inferring something different or something you had personally witnessed.

Overall I don’t see much of a big deal or anything eye opening from the article.

• Love
Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I had read the article - thought you were inferring something different or something you had personally witnessed.

Overall I don’t see much of a big deal or anything eye opening from the article.
His entire basis for that was this quote:

“I don’t even know how to describe it but it was the first time as a mom that I felt like, besides Cliff Reese at Boys Latin, somebody saw Cam’s intensity as a positive,” said Spencer’s mother

Reactions: RUsojo
I don’t get this about being a complementary player there, and someone to key on here. The percentage of the team shots that he took here was actually slightly less than the percentage of the team shots he has taken at Connecticut.

And generally I don’t question anyone deciding what to do what is in their own best interest. Except, pulling out of an arrangement late so that the counterparty does not have time to make alternate arrangements, especially when all the information to make the decision was available to you to make it in timely fashion. Having read the Parent’s comments, I am now definitely pissed off at him, because if what they said is true, he knew all he needed to know at the end of the season. He used RU as a placeholder, to RU’s detriment.

Agree. Think some people just need yo see it in print before they believe. We already knew most of these things about our program.

Agree. Think some people just need yo see it in print before they believe. We already knew most of these things about our program.

But you were the one who said it was “eye opening”.

Cam clearly made the right choice for his personal situation but I wouldn’t read much into this article when it comes to forming thoughts or conclusions on our program.

His mom’s quote would have applied to all of his prior program’s besides the Latin program….not just our program.

Let’s just say it’s easy to come out and say certain things when everything is going well and you’re on a national championship contending team.

But you were the one who said it was “eye opening”.

Cam clearly made the right choice for his personal situation but I wouldn’t read much into this article when it comes to forming thoughts or conclusions on our program.

His mom’s quote would have applied to all of his prior program’s besides the Latin program….not just our program.

Let’s just say it’s easy to come out and say certain things when everything is going well and you’re on a national championship contending team.
I did think that was a pretty eye opening quote. Those were powerful words from a parent. Most everything else we knew/could assume.

Agree that this isn’t some breaking news here. Just insight/opinion to digest and take fwiw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT