ADVERTISEMENT

Cliff was playing hurt tonight

ScarletDave

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2010
I’ve seen too many moron threads sending Cliff off into the sunset without anyone acknowledging, he was clearly holding his back all night on the court. Leaning over a few times. Pike kept his mins low because of the injury clearly. He couldnt jump for rebounds clearly, thats why Neb who was -2 all year on avg was plus 10 on RBs in the first half. You could see him wincing for goodness sake.

His back has been hurting all year, he’s left at least 3 games this year and came back in. He’s clearly fighting something. All you tough guys questioning his effort, “oh his head in in the pros, he’s not coming back, it’s because he’s not getting NIL, he mailed it in” blah blah blah you are morons and how about supporting him instead one of our proud loyal sons, amazing student, best recruit ever at the time and took a chance on us and we’ve seen what he can do when he’s healthy. Hope Pike rests him up this week and he’s good to go for Wisconsin!

He left at least 3 games this year and came back in? Which ones? I feel like we would have noticed.

Regardless, he definitely looked off the pace tonight and not the first time this year I'm left wondering why he's not going up for rebounds.

Did he get hurt between Michigan and tonight?
Exactly. The ‘Cliff is hurt’ homer refrain is sickening. Every bad game, he must be hurt. Ridiculous. If anything he’s faking injury to save face for getting abused, like we’ve seen before from him. At least he didn’t hobble off for an Xray then come back into the game at the next timeout perfectly fine like we commonly see from him.

Last edited:
I’ve seen too many moron threads sending Cliff off into the sunset without anyone acknowledging, he was clearly holding his back all night on the court. Leaning over a few times. Pike kept his mins low because of the injury clearly. He couldnt jump for rebounds clearly, thats why Neb who was -2 all year on avg was plus 10 on RBs in the first half. You could see him wincing for goodness sake.

His back has been hurting all year, he’s left at least 3 games this year and came back in. He’s clearly fighting something. All you tough guys questioning his effort, “oh his head in in the pros, he’s not coming back, it’s because he’s not getting NIL, he mailed it in” blah blah blah you are morons and how about supporting him instead one of our proud loyal sons, amazing student, best recruit ever at the time and took a chance on us and we’ve seen what he can do when he’s healthy. Hope Pike rests him up this week and he’s good to go for Wisconsin!
If he's injured, I think you may be the only one who saw something to think that.

Cliff when healthy is a very athletic player especially defensively.His failure to improve offensively rests with the lack of player development which can be also said for other players.As fans we don't know what goes on in practice.The half court offense has been woeful all season as seen with the stats which ranks Rutgers as one of the worse in college basketball.

If that were true, in post-game the coach should have his back and tell everyone how courageous and tough Cliff is to play through pain.

Interesting theory. He was moving, at times, in a way that was consistent with back pain. Perhaps there is an injury of some sort. For sure his limited minutes last night are indicative of illness or injury.

@zappaa, there are reasons why a coach might not discuss a player’s injury in public, some that take precedence over “having his back”. The lack of discussion about it by the player or coaching staff is not proof of anything about the situation, nor any kind of indication of poor decision-making by Pike.

And, for those fans who sit in judgement of Cliff or other players, obviously, these players have not lived up to the great example of teamwork and leadership you all exemplify without fail in your lives. You are all so strong and so perfect, you would never lose a game, never have an injury, never miss a shot.

Why can’t our players all be perfect, just like you? Surely our players must be horrible people that are intentionally losing games out of some self-serving and malicious intent. There can be no other explanation.

Right?

Interesting theory. He was moving, at times, in a way that was consistent with back pain. Perhaps there is an injury of some sort. For sure his limited minutes last night are indicative of illness or injury.

@zappaa, there are reasons why a coach might not discuss a player’s injury in public, some that take precedence over “having his back”. The lack of discussion about it by the player or coaching staff is not proof of anything about the situation, nor any kind of indication of poor decision-making by Pike.

And, for those fans who sit in judgement of Cliff or other players, obviously, these players have not lived up to the great example of teamwork and leadership you all exemplify without fail in your lives. You are all so strong and so perfect, you would never lose a game, never have an injury, never miss a shot.

Why can’t our players all be perfect, just like you? Surely our players must be horrible people that are intentionally losing games out of some self-serving and malicious intent. There can be no other explanation.

Right?
Wrong!
There’s no reason for a coach not to address a kid playing with a pain issue post game …. None.
He doesn’t need to discuss the injury or what it is.
He should always acknowledge a kid’s toughness

Last edited:
If he's injured, I think you may be the only one who saw something to think that.
I did see him shake something off as he was last up the floor that seemed lower body (mayyybee back) related. But I don't know if it was an injury, cramp, something else, or nothing much.

Of course it’s an injury. Simpson has had a wrist injury two years but toughs it out every game. It’s why he can’t shoot. Wolf’s been injured all season until yesterday. He’ll probably be injured next game though. Hyatt was also injured yesterday. What a gamer he is.

And on top of our team being injury-plagued, the refs and the conference want us to lose.

Reactions: RutgersClassof2004
Of course it’s an injury. Simpson has had a wrist injury two years but toughs it out every game. It’s why he can’t shoot. Wolf’s been injured all season until yesterday. He’ll probably be injured next game though. Hyatt was also injured yesterday. What a gamer he is.

And on top of our team being injury-plagued, the refs and the conference want us to lose.
Why would the conference want us to lose?

I have been saying for the entire this year and through midway last year thsr cliff is not nearly as explosive as he was as a soph …and I think he has some sort of injury that prevents it

Someday, we will learn the reality ….
He was as explosive and dominant against Michigan two games ago than I’ve ever seen him

Wrong!
There’s no reason for a coach not to address a kid playing with a pain issue post game …. None.
He doesn’t need to discuss the injury or what it is.
He should always acknowledge a kid’s toughness
There are absolutely situations in which a coach may not discuss a player’s health, even if he may not want to do so. Some situations have potential legal consequences. Some have ethical implications.

I hope he is not hurt, if he is I hope he gets better soon.
If he isn’t, and fans are pointing to his performance last night, admitting it was subpar enough, to theorize that he is hurt, speaks volumes!

I hope he is not hurt, if he is I hope he gets better soon.
If he isn’t, and fans are pointing to his performance last night, admitting it was subpar enough, to theorize that he is hurt, speaks volumes!
You’re certainly right that fans bashing the players speaks volumes. But it says nothing at all about the players.

Reactions: Scarlet83
There are absolutely situations in which a coach may not discuss a player’s health, even if he may not want to do so. Some situations have potential legal consequences. Some have ethical implications.
Absolutely, and especially if an individual expressly doesn't want an injury disclosed. Believe it or not RU doesn't have professional type signed contracts with their players

Acknowledging a kids toughness post game due to an issue is PERFECTLY normal and should take place.
No ones talking about discussing a damn thing.

Absolutely, and especially if an individual expressly doesn't want an injury disclosed. Believe it or not RU doesn't have professional type signed contracts with their players
Why would anyone disclose his injury?
“Kid is tough and plays through pain”
Great compliment!
What’s the injury Coach?
I’m not discussing that.

Reactions: bac2therac
Great compliment!
What’s the injury Coach?
I’m not discussing that.
Agree, why disclose someone is playing hurt. Did any of us know Max Melton played the season with a broken hand?

Reactions: Scangg
Great compliment!
What’s the injury Coach?
I’m not discussing that.
There's a difference between saying a coach should say this and that coaches do say it 100% of the time with every player and every injury

I don't think it's realistic to think that every coach says this about every player every time they are banged up and play

There are most likely multiple players on every team that aren't 100% and playing without a coach saying anything

There's a difference between saying a coach should say this and that coaches do say it 100% of the time with every player and every injury

I don't think it's realistic to think that every coach says this about every player every time they are banged up and play

There are most likely multiple players on every team that aren't 100% and playing without a coach saying anything
Nuance my friend…. Cliff is a dominant shot blocker, rebounder and dunker, coming off of one of the best performances of his career.
When your best player has 6 points and 2 rebounds the next game, he should be protected by his coach in my opinion.
Unless he ain’t hurt.
We’re not talking about players not being 100%, that’s a given.
We’re talking about your best player not even competing… if he’s gutting it up, say so.

Reactions: socaldave
he's referring to me. I think it's ridiculous for people to suggest Cliff 'must be injured' every time he plays poorly without any evidence for it. Why no 'Wolf must be injured' ? Or Hyatt ? Or GG ?

Maybe games where Pike seems to be outcoached it's because he's under the weather too ?

Reactions: RutgersClassof2004
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT