ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rutgers is ranked #40 in 2024 USNEWS Ranking

I don’t want to give to much weight to rankings but the fact it is only 5 spots behind NYU, which is among the most expensive schools imaginable…..is notable.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Worth noting #28 Univ. Of Florida, #53 Florida State, #67 University of Miami. Florida and Florida State, from a recruiting and TV and football & hoops standpoint, are decent candidates for the Big Ten. Miami is a stretch, but they have football history and sit amidst an amazing football recruiting area.

Worth noting #28 Univ. Of Florida, #53 Florida State, #67 University of Miami. Florida and Florida State, from a recruiting and TV and football & hoops standpoint, are decent candidates for the Big Ten. Miami is a stretch, but they have football history and sit amidst an amazing football recruiting area.
Speaking for all who do not know, please remind us why Florida is a Big10 expansion candidate.

Speaking for all who do not know, please remind us why Florida is a Big10 expansion candidate.
The Big Ten needs a Florida school. Florida is terrific academically and a step child in the SEC. It might like a Big Ten affiliation if the financial angle is comparable.

The Big Ten needs a Florida school. Florida is terrific academically and a step child in the SEC. It might like a Big Ten affiliation if the financial angle is comparable.
i was being sarcastic. step child how ? i don’t think Florida would ever have any interest all in leaving the best football conference and ending historic rivalries for conference academic perception. that’s complete hooey.

Reactions: brgRC90
Maybe in a future state the B1G can bring in UNC, UVA, FSU, and ND. SEC grabs Clemson at least and ACC becomes the equivalent of AAC.

i was being sarcastic. step child how ? i don’t think Florida would ever have any interest all in leaving the best football conference and ending historic rivalries for conference academic perception. that’s complete hooey.
Why would they leave the SEC, games in warmer weather, shorter away
trips and rivalries behind for the Big Ten?

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I don't see UF ever seriously considering leaving the SEC.

Vandy is more of the stepchild in that conference and they are unlikely to be a B1G candidate.

Maybe we'll see Duke, Vandy, Rice, Northwestern and Stanford form the SAT conference.

No we don't. And, Florida left the southeast for an OOC game for the first time in decades this year and were promptly pummelled by Utah.

If the Big 10 is going to take anyone it would be ND. And perhaps UVA/UNC. They don't need Florida for anything.

Florida would be a great catch for the Big Ten. Though I agree the chances of it happening are very slim.

Not adding Stanford and Cal will prove to be a mistake. Over time there will be value in non football sports and they are underestimating the value of being the juggernaut academic conference. San Fran a valuable market along with massive connections to the wealthy tech industry. jMO
Doubtful

Not adding Stanford and Cal will prove to be a mistake. Over time there will be value in non football sports and they are underestimating the value of being the juggernaut academic conference. San Fran a valuable market along with massive connections to the wealthy tech industry. jMO
Agreed. The whole would have been worth more than the sum of the parts. Also, if you are going for an elite academic image with killer sports programs, it was the way to go.

Reactions: Scarlet Jerry

I agree sort of. Ha. I think ultimately Cal and particularly Stanford make sense, but it wasn’t the right time for the B1G. Too soon after taking on 4 others. I still believe when the ACC grant of rights run out UNC and UVA will end up in the B1G. Adding Cal and Stanford at that point would’ve solidified the B1G as the top academic (outside Ivy) and sports conference. Yes, I get that it’s about football, but as RU continues to improve its academic profile, having additional peer schools like UNC, UVA and Cal (Stanford is at same level as NW) will help perception.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Agreed. The whole would have been worth more than the sum of the parts. Also, if you are going for an elite academic image with killer sports programs, it was the way to go.
I agree completely. Stanford has an elite athletics program and could develop into a strong football program. The Big Ten would have been the undisputed academic/athletics powerhouse, and all of the schools would have a higher academic perception. It would be a brand representing academics the way the Ivy League has become one. I’m not saying that we would be equal to the Ivy Schools, but the Big Ten name would represent high-powered academics and elite athletics. It still does, but Cal and Stanford would have sealed the deal.

Scarlet Jerry

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Small-minded response. I hate Notre Dinero, but they would be a great addition to the Big Ten. “Cut off your nose to spite your face” thinking.

Why small minded when they would demand a deal that would probably be better than USC got? See ACC deal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT