ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rutgers oyster admission

Mr_Twister

Heisman Winner
Apr 1, 2004
On our weekend trip to Peconic LI, our group made a stop at Greenport NY’s Little Creek Raw Bar.
I make this admission …
We ordered 2 dozen local oysters, a mix of Oysterpond Pearls, Mermaid Makeouts, Peconic Golds, and Violet Coves. I ate more than my share of Violet Coves [NY - Moriches Bay] — their Grower: Rutgers women’s hoops all-timer, Sue Wicks.
Here’s their description — “The turnaround jumpshot of our oyster play book. Shells have an iconic wide-stance and they are a beautiful thing - smooth and well executed. Shucked properly, they are fluid with very little dribbling.”

On our weekend trip to Peconic LI, our group made a stop at Greenport NY’s Little Creek Raw Bar.
I make this admission …
We ordered 2 dozen local oysters, a mix of Oysterpond Pearls, Mermaid Makeouts, Peconic Golds, and Violet Coves. I ate more than my share of Violet Coves [NY - Moriches Bay] — their Grower: Rutgers women’s hoops all-timer, Sue Wicks.
Here’s their description — “The turnaround jumpshot of our oyster play book. Shells have an iconic wide-stance and they are a beautiful thing - smooth and well executed. Shucked properly, they are fluid with very little dribbling.”
I make this admission …

Reactions: Knight Shift
I make this admission …
Nice place to visit.

Oysters = one of greastest natural sources of polio virus (and others).
They filter water so they are full of nasties

Last edited:
I make this admission …
Well screw the description - what's your take on them? I've looked all over for them, but haven't been able to find a place that carries them.

Go to Little Creek Raw Bar, Greenport, Long Island. They serve only locally harvested oysters. Draw your own conclusions.

As the late Jimmy Buffet said “give me oysters and beer for dinner every night of the year and I’ll feel fine”

As the late Jimmy Buffet said “give me oysters and beer for dinner every night of the year and I’ll feel fine”
I wonder what the odds are.. oyster -> dread disease. I'd imagine the chances are very low.. but if you repeat the experiment every day for your whole life...

Let's say it is 1 in a million...

That's 0.000001

So the chances of getting the good result is 0.999999

And the formula would be.. trying to remember.. 1- (0.999999*0.999999*..) for as many days

I've lost it.. I think it would be 1-0.999999 ^ days and, say, 50 years of days is 18262. and that roughly maps to a 2% chance of getting that bad oyster over 50 years... I think. Of course, who eats 1 oyster a day? And is it really 1 in a million?

Last edited:
Erster Roasts along the Coast of NC are a neat social event to experience. Dig a pit, lay four cement blocks or sizeable rocks at each corner down in the pit, build a fire in the pit, layer in a base of sheet metal over the fire, add a layer of scrubbed and rinsed ersters on the metal surface, cover with a couple layers of water-soaked burlap bushel bags, steam for seven or so minutes, uncover, collect, shuck (use a proper shucker glove and knife) and enjoy straight up or with any combo of hot sauce and butter, and cold beer or white wine. Repeat.... Going to spend a week on Oak Island in a few weeks and looking forward to a roast....

Reactions: newell138
Nothing better than Cape May Salts.

Remember being at restaurant in Sarasota Fl. With a mixed 3 dozen oysters from east and west coast. Hands down the best came from Delaware bay to cape cod.

These guys do an amazing job. Had them to a beach party.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT