ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shannen Doherty dies.

This one hurts because my wife, 40, is battling the same kind of breast cancer, stage 2 right now than Doherty was originally diagnosed with. We much prefer the positive/happy endings over seeing this kind of result. Prayers to her family.
🙏 for your wife for a full recovery.

-vic

Reactions: MADHAT1
This one hurts because my wife, 40, is battling the same kind of breast cancer, stage 2 right now than Doherty was originally diagnosed with. We much prefer the positive/happy endings over seeing this kind of result. Prayers to her family.
Sorry to hear that. In our area, we have some fantastic options for care in NJ, NYC and Philadelphia. MSKCC's opening of their center in Monmouth County has been wonderful, where residents nearby can go for visits without having to travel to NYC. The care I received from MSKCC was first rate, and their level of care, compassion and attention to every detail always leaves me impressed. Hoping for the best outcome for your wife, you and your family. It's scary, indeed.

Reactions: vic_torre42
Sorry to hear that. In our area, we have some fantastic options for care in NJ, NYC and Philadelphia. MSKCC's opening of their center in Monmouth County has been wonderful, where residents nearby can go for visits without having to travel to NYC. The care I received from MSKCC was first rate, and their level of care, compassion and attention to every detail always leaves me impressed. Hoping for the best outcome for your wife, you and your family. It's scary, indeed.

Yes, Sloan Monmouth has been incredible. She was even able to have her surgery there which was great compared to trucking into the city.

Reactions: Knight Shift
RIP - never watched 90210 and forgot she was in Heathers, but I did enjoy her acting in Charmed.

Cancer sucks, have known too many people who have had it. Everybody knows our history, but we're huge supporters of Sloan Kettering and try to encourage people to go there if they're diagnosed. They're cutting edge, sometimes bleeding edge in terms of cancer research and treatment.

My friend died of esophagus cancer 5 months ago. He had a terrible time for almost 2 years. He was a Rutgers grad, went to an occasional RU game.
My dad passed away from esophageal cancer right around the same time. He was diagnosed in August after dealing with GERD symptoms for multiple years. He went through chemo and radiation and lost so much weight (he had a thin build to begin with). The radiation treatments also destroyed one of his lungs, and he developed pneumonia.

He was a social drinker having a glass of wine each evening with dinner. He gave up alcohol last summer when it was exacerbating his GERD symptoms.

I agree on the environmental. My sister and niece were in Brick (and tested negative for genetic). My buddy was a Navy fighter pilot and exposed to a lot of crap. Plus then living in NJ. NJ was a dumping ground for years but that Toms River area legacy is a concern.
71z0oDqNR2L._SL1500_.jpg

My friend died of esophagus cancer 5 months ago. He had a terrible time for almost 2 years. He was a Rutgers grad, went to an occasional RU game.

My dad passed away from esophageal cancer right around the same time. He was diagnosed in August after dealing with GERD symptoms for multiple years. He went through chemo and radiation and lost so much weight (he had a thin build to begin with). The radiation treatments also destroyed one of his lungs, and he developed pneumonia.

He was a social drinker having a glass of wine each evening with dinner. He gave up alcohol last summer when it was exacerbating his GERD symptoms.
Had a close friend die from esophageal cancer at 41 years old in 2014. He was diagnosed, given several weeks to live, and he lived for almost a year, but the last few months were bad. I remember getting a text from a mutual friend on March 31 of 2014 while I was traveling in Europe. Earlier that year, our office was destroyed by a fire. I thought to myself when I got the news, things will get better from here. Three weeks later, I was diagnosed with kidney cancer. As I noted above, I was extremely lucky- it was caught early, and the tumor was surgically removed. I'm still here and 10 years clear after 10 years of screening. I don't take any day on this earth for granted. Even on my "bad" days, I strive to be the best person I can and spread joy to others.

Had a close friend die from esophageal cancer at 41 years old in 2014. He was diagnosed, given several weeks to live, and he lived for almost a year, but the last few months were bad. I remember getting a text from a mutual friend on March 31 of 2014 while I was traveling in Europe. Earlier that year, our office was destroyed by a fire. I thought to myself when I got the news, things will get better from here. Three weeks later, I was diagnosed with kidney cancer. As I noted above, I was extremely lucky- it was caught early, and the tumor was surgically removed. I'm still here and 10 years clear after 10 years of screening. I don't take any day on this earth for granted. Even on my "bad" days, I strive to be the best person I can and spread joy to others.
Do you still see a nephrologist at MSK? I believe in earlier conversations we've had some of the same doctors so not sure we can add that one to the list as well.

That’s one of the things showing up for my guys from 9/11.

I been diagnosed with GERD too.

Have another endoscopy and colonoscopy scheduled for the Fall. So far both have been just precautionary for 9/11 exposure since we do not have a history of either cancer in my family. Some polyps on the colonoscopy and some concerns about Barret’s esophagus. Nothing major.

Losing weight and eating better (little less and earlier) has helped a lot with GERD symptoms. But it’s tough to do at work as we tend to eat later than most.

Never really a drinker but a later few beers did make the GERD flare up occasionally.

Do you still see a nephrologist at MSK? I believe in earlier conversations we've had some of the same doctors so not sure we can add that one to the list as well.
My urologist-oncologist is Paul F. Russo. I have not seen him since 2014, and that's a good thing. I'm in what I think they call the survivorship program. I could check out and not do annual scans (chest x-ray and HS ultrasound of both kidneys and abdomen), but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Paul F Russo is not only a top doctor, but a dude. When I sat in his office for the initial consult, I knew in 30 seconds that he was the doctor to work with. After my surgery, he stopped by and was graphically describing in a joking way how difficult my surgery was, but he was confident he got it. He has a great demeanor and a sense of humor that fit my personality well. Everything is funny to me, even my cancer. I had full confidence in him, and would highly recommend him. Sorry for the long ramble. It's been 10 years, and I'm feeling nostalgic and sentimental as I deal with a bad situation with one of my brothers.

Reactions: Zak57
My urologist-oncologist is Paul F. Russo. I have not seen him since 2014, and that's a good thing. I'm in what I think they call the survivorship program. I could check out and not do annual scans (chest x-ray and HS ultrasound of both kidneys and abdomen), but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Paul F Russo is not only a top doctor, but a dude. When I sat in his office for the initial consult, I knew in 30 seconds that he was the doctor to work with. After my surgery, he stopped by and was graphically describing in a joking way how difficult my surgery was, but he was confident he got it. He has a great demeanor and a sense of humor that fit my personality well. Everything is funny to me, even my cancer. I had full confidence in him, and would highly recommend him. Sorry for the long ramble. It's been 10 years, and I'm feeling nostalgic and sentimental as I deal with a bad situation with one of my brothers.
Yes Dr. Russo performed one of my surgeries as well. Yes Russo was a jokester which I enjoyed as I am as well. From that same office a Dr. Scheinfeld did another surgery of mine and I still see his office. I also had an Oncologist who worked with them and he dropped me a few years ago which was nice. I still see my nephrologist there as well and sometimes still participate in studies with yet another doctor because the chemo treatment I was on was a trial run at the time so I was on of the guinea pigs. This was all 15+ years ago when I was in my early 20s. Still go up there about twice a year though mostly because of my nephrologist a I had to have a kidney removed.

Yes Dr. Russo performed one of my surgeries as well. Yes Russo was a jokester which I enjoyed as I am as well. From that same office a Dr. Scheinfeld did another surgery of mine and I still see his office. I also had an Oncologist who worked with them and he dropped me a few years ago which was nice. I still see my nephrologist there as well and sometimes still participate in studies with yet another doctor because the chemo treatment I was on was a trial run at the time so I was on of the guinea pigs. This was all 15+ years ago when I was in my early 20s. Still go up there about twice a year though mostly because of my nephrologist a I had to have a kidney removed.
Man o man does my memory suck. I found a thread where we discussed this 2 years ago, but it is always cathartic and fun to recount the tales of the urologist-oncologist-comedian. Your situation sounds like it was a lot more complicated and scary than mine. It's good to be alive, regardless of what is going on in the world around us (e.g., the Mets! and nothing else). Suffering as a Mets fan (and a Rutgers fan 2015-19) is harder than what I dealt with. We are lucky to live where we do and have access to such a fine institution in MSKCC, as well as many others.

Reactions: Zak57
Just terrible news...too young. A big part of Generation X growing up. Iconic as Brenda and as a Heather in Heathers.

Have been watching her podcasts. Such a brave and inspiring women to document her whole journey and face this head on to potential help others

She will be missed
Had a reputation for not being the nicest person during the 90210 days. But she turned into a very brave adult. Liked her in Mall Rats but at the time she was upstaged by Joey Lauren Adams showing her knockers.

Reactions: bac2therac
liked her a lot on Charmed. Apparently there was huge beef between her & Alyssa Milano that led to her leaving the show.

Have another endoscopy and colonoscopy scheduled for the Fall. So far both have been just precautionary for 9/11 exposure since we do not have a history of either cancer in my family. Some polyps on the colonoscopy and some concerns about Barret’s esophagus. Nothing major.
I'm glad that you're staying on top of that. My dad didn't get an endoscopy until things had progressed quite far, so the treatments were much more aggressive. I hope you continue to get good news on these checkups.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT