ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shawn Tucker and a B1G discussion on The Scarlet Spotlight podcast

RUJON

All Conference
Gold Member
Jun 23, 2001
2006 Rutgers football co-captain Shawn Tucker joins me and Danny.

You may remember that Tuck got hurt early that magical season and had to watch his teammates from the sidelines that year.

Later he went on to success in Rutgers Athletics as a fundraiser and launching what is now the leadership development program.

Shawn is now a rising star in college sports as Athletic Director at NJCU in Jersey City.

https://www.thescarletspotlight.com/podcast/2020/9/18/episode-65-shawn-tucker

Danny and I also share our thoughts on the return of B1G football and its impact on Rutgers football.

I'm sure folks will want to comment on that below.

Thanks, Jon

Great interview with Shawn Tucker. I agree 100% with your take on the B1G restart. Whether we will get there or not really depends on whether people (mainly students) can adhere to guidelines on social distancing and mask wearing, which at the moment doesn't look too promising. Already seeing a steady rise in infections in NJ. Would not be surprised if the B1G football restart is submarined before it begins - more than a month away. We will see a steady drumbeat of games cancelled/postponed across the nation in the meantime.

Reactions: rutgersfandan
Thanks and thanks for all the great feedback on social channels for this one.

2006 Rutgers football co-captain Shawn Tucker joins me and Danny.

You may remember that Tuck got hurt early that magical season and had to watch his teammates from the sidelines that year.

Later he went on to success in Rutgers Athletics as a fundraiser and launching what is now the leadership development program.

Shawn is now a rising star in college sports as Athletic Director at NJCU in Jersey City.

https://www.thescarletspotlight.com/podcast/2020/9/18/episode-65-shawn-tucker

Danny and I also share our thoughts on the return of B1G football and its impact on Rutgers football.

I'm sure folks will want to comment on that below.

Thanks, Jon

It was great to hear from Shawn Tucker.

I was a little disappointed in the opinion portion of this podcast. I actually wish it wasn't all opinion in discussing the Big Ten's decision to try to resume football this fall. Since it was, I think the hosts should reconsider their viewpoint that anyone that disagrees with their take is part of some fringe political movement or is telling people that disagree to "hide." It is a disservice, in my view, to attack an opposing view by focusing on the people that hold that view, grouping them together, and dismissing their opinions in that manner.

I happen to disagree with the opinions that you expressed on the show, but at least I understand that there are valid reasons that the opposite decision could have been reached here. Where I think you miss the mark is that sports are being played for the most part at every single level right now. It was the Big Ten that was the outlier before. Also, as to the student-athlete discussion, you also miss that any player that wants to opt out can with no penalty. And, this has happened all over the country.

It is a false comparison, in my view, to suggest that football shouldn't return unless every student can be tested every day. Unfortunately, football is an activity that cannot take place remotely. College classes, for the most part, can. Moreover, it is largely the case right now that anyone who wants a Covid test can get one. Beyond that, forcing every student to get covid tested every day would accomplish little, whereas with a small population like a sports program it is practical and may prove effective.

In sum, I'd add that your opinions are not that much different than those of a group like Rutgers 1000, which is, why have sports at all? That is, even in normal times, why should any $ go to a sports team until every student is offered the same benefit. I think it is unfortunate that you both seem to have overlooked that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT