ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Skeletal Remains Found in Wall on Manasquan Border

good thing they found them now, in five years could have had a "Poltergeist" situation with skeletons in the swimming pool

Reactions: Knight Shift
did they need to add, "no danger to the community"? I'm thinking the killer is long gone if they are just skeletons. Could have been an old family graveyard
That's what I was wondering - old family/church plot going way back. Better to think that than Sopranos.

Quakers didn't believe in headstones and Quaker graveyards can be hard to spot.
There were Quakers in Wall.

"The Manasquan Friends Meetinghouse and Burying Ground, also known as the Manasquan Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends, is a historic meetinghouse and cemetery on Route 35 at the Manasquan Circle in Wall Township in Monmouth County, New Jersey..."

If the house goes up for sale, the real estate ad could write itself:

Location, location, location- people have being dying to live on this choice lot for years!

Nope. Sorry I can support humor that lame. LOL

Reactions: angmo
Quakers didn't believe in headstones and Quaker graveyards can be hard to spot.
There were Quakers in Wall.

"The Manasquan Friends Meetinghouse and Burying Ground, also known as the Manasquan Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends, is a historic meetinghouse and cemetery on Route 35 at the Manasquan Circle in Wall Township in Monmouth County, New Jersey..."

That's a good point. I knew someone who used to go to that Meeting House. It will be interesting to see what they find out.

Manasquan just can't itself out of the news. But I suspect this will blow over quicker than the basketball.

That's a good point. I knew someone who used to go to that Meeting House. It will be interesting to see what they find out.

Locally we've had some Quaker burial sites - which aren't necessarily close to a meeting house. Some Quakers with farms, property etc let them be used for burials. They considered headstones prone to elitism and ranking. They also allowed for burial of criminals and slaves back in the pre-Civil War era.

"skeletal remains were found during excavation on Tuesday." Monmouth County Prosecutor: " Say no danger to community." Good to hear the skeletons won't threaten the safety of the neighbors

That part of Narrumson is actually on the "Wall" side. It gets very confusing on those Leni Lenape-named streets.
You are correct sir. I live on Minnesink but I'm 2 1/2 blocks east of Lenape in Squan proper. My wife and I walked by last night and there was a cop stationed at the corner of Lenape and Narrumson blocking it off.

Early reports say 2 adults and a child found

County prosecutors still have not said if the skeletal remains were human – but witnesses tell News 12 New Jersey that as contractors from Grosso Homes dug about five to seven feet of dirt, they unearthed the remains of two adults and a child.

An 1873 map of Wall Township from the Historical Society shows the region as it appeared to the early settlers and founders. Back then it was mostly farms. Wall Township approved a subdivision in 1927 of the plot of land now at the center of the investigation. A small 744-square-foot Cape Cod home was built in 1940 and remained until 2018. The home was demolished and the land was purchased by a couple who just celebrated the groundbreaking on their new construction earlier this month.

The bones remain a mystery, however, the historian tells News 12 it was not uncommon for farmers to bury loved ones without any markers.

Crews removed truckloads of dirt Wednesday night to be closely examined by county forensics. Test results on those bones could take quite some time, sources close to the investigation tell News 12.

DZ9DFTi.gif

"Hearn believes the remains were those of bodies buried in a family plot when farms operated in that section of Wall."

Usually a baby's body with an adult means a family group. Old rural cemeteries have a lot of infants and kids - usually with small markers if any (some kids weren't even named yet). Some county records in C19 show 30-40% of babies dying before 1 yr old. Many weren't even named. We have 3 old, roadside, family graveyards within a mile or so and they have a lot of children in them. Imagine giving birth 9 or 10 times and almost half of them dying before five yrs old

kGrxOTJ.jpeg

Last edited:
"Hearn believes the remains were those of bodies buried in a family plot when farms operated in that section of Wall."

Usually a baby's body with an adult means a family group. Old rural cemeteries have a lot of infants and kids - usually with small markers if any (some kids weren't even named yet). Some county records in C19 show 30-40% of babies dying before 1 yr old. Many weren't even named. We have 3 old family graveyards within a mile or so and they have a lot of children in them. Imagine giving birth 9 or 10 times and almost half of them dying before five yrs old

kGrxOTJ.jpeg
That’s crazy and sad at the same time.

That’s crazy and sad at the same time.
Indeed, stress was pretty much constant back then. Death and illness always close. No plumbing, AC/heating, Walmarts or plentiful leisure. Rural kids often had no shoes. Many people would be surprised to go back in time and see how primitive life could be. People were also dirtier than realized. When Revolution began G Washington complained about militia crapping all over near the camps. They didn't wash their clothes like British (who had to have three shirts) and so saw more disease.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT