ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Slightly Harrowing Experience While Driving...

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
So, had a slightly harrowing experience back in February driving home on the NJ TPK on a Saturday afternoon - thought I had posted about it here, but no - better late than never, I guess. Anyway, I was doing about 80 mph in the center lane with fairly light traffic when my hood somehow became unlatched and the ~80 mph "wind" (relative velocity to the car) lifted my hood violently upwards causing it to rotate around its hinges, smashing into my windshield, causing numerous cracks in the windshield (and sunroof) with the hood essentially blinding me.

Fortunately, I was hyper aware of my surroundings at that moment and knew there were no cars right in front of me or to my right, so I immediately put my blinker on and slowly moved into the right lane, while slowing down and then moved into the shoulder when I had slowed down below 30 mph, as I could just see ahead of me on the shoulder by leaning way over to the right so I knew there wasn't someone stopped on the shoulder, and quickly stopped after that. It is often said that people involved in intense, potential life and death situations retain extraordinary clarity of such situations and that's absolutely the case for me, as I remember those 10 seconds with nearly perfect clarity.

After coming to a stop, I breathed a sigh of relief and then checked out the damage and flipped the hood back down and amazingly, I was able to relatch it and it looked very snug. Given that and since my visibiliity through the windshield was still pretty good, I got back on the road and the car seemed fine, so I drove the few miles to Exit 9 and then took slower roads back to Metuchen, with no issues. And also fortunately, I wasn't in the left lane or in heavy traffic and the airbags didn't go off, which would have immobilized me in addition to blinding me, which would've been really bad. Like I said, harrowing.

What prompted me to post this thread was the thread on car insurance, since NJM was fantastic throughout this, directing me to a very good body shop and paying out about $6000 for the repair (it's a 2016 Subaru Forester in great condition worth more than that), which was done to perfection. And our insurance didn't go up at all when we renewed in May.

To add insult to almost injury, though, our other car was broken down in Metuchen (starter) at the time, so we spent three whole days living without a car, like settlers on the prairie, although with much better internet than they had back then, lol. Pics are below of the damage to the windshield, sunroof, hood and front quarter panels.

2nd most harrowing experience I ever had in a car - has this happened to anyone else on the board? I read about it happening to a few people, including in Subarus, but not enough to think it's some recall type item - still no idea how the hood became unlatched in the first place (I hadn't had the car worked on recently and hadn't been opening the hood myself).

zfglWFQ.png

JPOPHJQ.png

Wow, glad you survived that.

I remember once when I first came to NJ I was driving to work (Summit) on the GSP. I had to slam on my brakes, and all the snow on my roof slid down over the windshield. Unlike you, I at least had a mechanical device (windshield wipers) on my side. But still scares me to this day when I think about that.

You are the "Sully" of the New Jersey Turnpike...

Wow, glad you survived that.

I remember once when I first came to NJ I was driving to work (Summit) on the GSP. I had to slam on my brakes, and all the snow on my roof slid down over the windshield. Unlike you, I at least had a mechanical device (windshield wipers) on my side. But still scares me to this day when I think about that.

You are the "Sully" of the New Jersey Turnpike...
Kinda sorta a different situation as numbers incident was just a freak accident and yours, well, it was created by you, illegal, dangerous and just lazy. Just saying
Not to say we havn't all done similar. Sort of like not waiting on your windshield to defrost and deciding to drive as soon as you had a spot as large of a fist you can see out of. lol

Not knowing how the hood became unlatched would drive me nuts, TBH. It would be on my mind every time I drove the car.

I think I would do three things. I'd take the car the dealer to have them inspect it the hood and latch. I'd take the car to an independent mechanic and have *them* inspect the hood and latch. I'd keep a log that lists whenever the hood is opened/closed for any reason.

I'm so anal about driving that I'd consider finding a speed shop with a dyno, wind-generation capability, and high def cameras. And then try to see what's taking place around the hood latch area in 80mph winds.

Something similar happened to me once. Hood released, began wobbling, but didn’t detach from latch. I stopped car and snapped it back and scratched my head. What I suspect occurred is the hood release was pulled instead of the gas door release. When I hit the highway, the hood released. Now I’m more careful opening the gas door.

My wife, heading to work & pregnant with my first son, merging on to 280 in West Orange after a light snowstorm followed by light rain earlier that morning, still drizzling

Moving truck passes her huge sheet of snow slides off the top and slams on to her windshield, making it opaque. Shattered into a million pieces but still intact

Somehow the poor girl kept it together enough to simultaneously pull over and get the company's name...to no avail

Something similar happened to me once. Hood released, began wobbling, but didn’t detach from latch. I stopped car and snapped it back and scratched my head. What I suspect occurred is the hood release was pulled instead of the gas door release. When I hit the highway, the hood released. Now I’m more careful opening the gas door.
That's very easy to do especially if it's a car you don't normally drive, like your spouse's

Same thing happened to me while driving to work about a year and a half ago around Exit 135 on the Parkway. Didn't shatter the windshield, but I couldn't see. Luckily I was in the right lane and was able to pull over immediately. About a month later that car was totaled in an accident around the same spot. This was four months after I had totaled another car on my way to work when it was flooded while driving in during Ida.

Reactions: JRZEER
Kinda sorta a different situation as numbers incident was just a freak accident and yours, well, it was created by you, illegal, dangerous and just lazy. Just saying
Not to say we havn't all done similar. Sort of like not waiting on your windshield to defrost and deciding to drive as soon as you had a spot as large of a fist you can see out of. lol
Yes, I am a stickler for cleaning off the car properly since then. I agree completely that I was at fault...

I did a little research for you on the Subaru forums.

Turns out this is a built-in feature common to nearly all late model Subarus. The vehicle detected that you are not a lesbian and so automatically disabled itself.

I did a little research for you on the Subaru forums.

Turns out this is a built-in feature common to nearly all late model Subarus. The vehicle detected that you are not a lesbian and so automatically disabled itself.
How many times will I spit coffee on my keyboard before I learn not to drink coffee while reading this forum. 🤣

Reactions: thegock
Drill a hole in the hood and put a bike lock through that and the grille. Prevent the same thing and also prevent your battery from being stolen. Metuchen, you know….
Make it a long enough chain (for the lock) and he can wrap up his catalytic converter while he's at it, seeing as how they're like gold pressed latinum nowadays.

Reactions: Shelby65
Had hood pop up on truck I was driving just as I approached Woodbridge circle on Route 1 many years ago - my fault. The truck they gave me had a bad hood latch. Normally when I had that truck assigned I would wire hood to grill , but got lazy that morning and didn’t bother to use wire and just used some twine I grabbed. Twine snapped and hood flew up. Did not have accident fortunately.

My wife has a Subaru Ascent as her company car. She just returned the old one and got a newer version. The trunk on the old one used to "bounce" a bit like it was going to pop open. It never did but it made me very uneasy. The new one doesn't have that issue. Glad you didn't kill yourself or anyone. That is a rough scenario.

Reactions: RU848789
Wow, I’m no spring chicken yet I do not recall a Woodbridge circle.
It was where Green St comes into Route 1 - my event was around 1972. Had a pick at Menlo Mall and then to what was the Acme on the circle. More recently it became a Staples ?? I think

It was where Green St comes into Route 1 - my event was around 1972. Had a pick at Menlo Mall and then to what was the Acme on the circle. More recently it became a Staples ?? I think
Helps, still vague. Now not sure if I remember it or your explanation inserted into my memory.

I don't ever leave snow on the car/roof, but I've certainly done the small visibility spot, lol...

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Not knowing how the hood became unlatched would drive me nuts, TBH. It would be on my mind every time I drove the car.

I think I would do three things. I'd take the car the dealer to have them inspect it the hood and latch. I'd take the car to an independent mechanic and have *them* inspect the hood and latch. I'd keep a log that lists whenever the hood is opened/closed for any reason.

I'm so anal about driving that I'd consider finding a speed shop with a dyno, wind-generation capability, and high def cameras. And then try to see what's taking place around the hood latch area in 80mph winds.
It doesn't matter, really, since the hood and latch were completely replaced. There's also zero way one can accidentally open the hood release from inside the car (and even if that happens, the latch should still hold unless someone manually opens the hood release located outside the car at the front of the hood) - I think they make it so hard to reach so one doesn't to that on purpose. Without having the NTSB investigating what happened, we're just never going to know what happened and my gut tells me that this was just the case of a part or parts failing in a very low probability event (maybe wear and tear or a faulty part to begin with that weakened over years). I don't think twice about it happening again, but I will continue to always drive with hyper focus, just in case.

My hood release is nowhere near my gas cap release...

I wouldn't call this slightly harrowing. This falls within the fully harrowing category.
yeah, it was far more harrowing after the fact - in real time, I just reacted with no time to be afraid, really...very lucky something far worse didn't happen...

I’d check if there is a recall on the car. My Honda from around the same time had a recall for the latch.
First thing I did - 3 2016 Forester recalls, but none for the hood latch. Interestingly, there had been a recall on various Subarus for hood latch problems prior to 2014.

Yes, I am a stickler for cleaning off the car properly since then. I agree completely that I was at fault...
I think I’d lived Jersey for only a couple of months at the time. For my first job here I commuted on both the Turnoike and the Garden State Parkway!

yeah, it was far more harrowing after the fact - in real time, I just reacted with no time to be afraid, really...very lucky something far worse didn't happen...
The best part is, how you stopped driving 80
miles an hour and learned your lesson. No
longer endangering yourself and innocent others.

• Haha
Reactions: RU848789
You lost me at NJM being great. The once exclusive that now takes every Tom, Dick & Harry & doesnt spend money on commercials thus keeping your insurance premiums low is quite the insurance hoar now.. They are not hardly the bargain insurance co they used to be. Glad you are safe though saw something similar a couple months ago with someone exiting 150 on parkway different situation it was more than likely a stolen car with hood flipped and dude looking thru the gap between bottom of hood and windshield doing 60-70 mph narrowly missing stopped cars in left lane and nearly clipping me in right. Drove down embankment thru field down side street by PSE& G. Took pics of him broken down & called police. Was trying to hide a backpack so I'm assuming drugs & gun
Must have had a hit & run on parkway or b4 getting in parkway

All things told was a pretty masterful job of driving by that criminal. To go that fast and not hit anyone looking out the little peephole was pretty incredible. His face was right against the steering wheel.

• Wow
Reactions: redking
glad it worked out ok. I need to check out NJM.

I once passed a car going the opposite direction on the Cross Bronx in this state. It seemed to be on par with other road hazards at the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT